PDA

View Full Version : I have finally made the switch!

ronni3
Jan 9, 2007, 06:25 PM
Today, after the keynote, I placed an order for a Mac Pro. The specs are as follows:

2.66GHz Quad
2GB Ram
X1900 XT
Apple Extreme & BT
250GB HDD

Now all I have to do is sit back and wait for it to come. Geez, this is the hardest part!!! :D

tyr2
Jan 9, 2007, 06:28 PM
Congratulations. I have the exact same spec. You'll love it.

yojitani
Jan 9, 2007, 08:54 PM
Today, after the keynote, I placed an order for a Mac Pro. The specs are as follows:

2.66GHz Quad
2GB Ram
X1900 XT
Apple Extreme & BT
250GB HDD

Now all I have to do is sit back and wait for it to come. Geez, this is the hardest part!!! :D

Just about to do the same, though I'm probably going to buy a stock config from amazon. This'll be pretty cool since I've got all these HD's sitting around from my just sold PowerMac, I'm going to have 1TB :eek: of storage. That's obscene, really. 3 years ago I only had a 10GB HD!

Shame that OWC ram thing didn't work out.

yt

cynerjist
Jan 9, 2007, 09:42 PM
congrats on the purchase, man.

ronni3
Jan 9, 2007, 11:15 PM
I got a great deal too. I joined the Student ADC program and damn isn't it great to get a 20% discount on that Mac Pro. Hell no would I have ever been able to afford the regular price of this setup.

ronni3
Jan 16, 2007, 10:39 PM
Tomorrow is the big day! It should arrive sometime in the afternoon. Man, I just can't wait. :D

Tangerine
Jan 17, 2007, 12:21 AM
Tomorrow is the big day! It should arrive sometime in the afternoon. Man, I just can't wait. :D

Mine is the same spec but except with only 1GB of RAM. Does having 2GB of RAM make that much of a big different?

trainguy77
Jan 17, 2007, 12:35 AM
Mine is the same spec but except with only 1GB of RAM. Does having 2GB of RAM make that much of a big different?

Mine has had 1 gb of RAM, and I really want to upgrade now....I run out of RAM all the time. But I can't afford to buy a second gig right now so I will have to wait. I run out of ram all the time...I am not even a "pro" user......:D

Tangerine
Jan 17, 2007, 02:31 AM
Mine has had 1 gb of RAM, and I really want to upgrade now....I run out of RAM all the time. But I can't afford to buy a second gig right now so I will have to wait. I run out of ram all the time...I am not even a "pro" user......:D

Me too. I'm really hope Apple Ram price would drop. It is ways too expensive right now. There is 3rd aftermarket one, but I'm still skeptical. Especially when it comes to Ram. I hope with all the competition aftermarket Ram out there, maybe Apple will drop the price. Doesn't look like it though :( .

trainguy77
Jan 17, 2007, 09:01 AM
Me too. I'm really hope Apple Ram price would drop. It is ways too expensive right now. There is 3rd aftermarket one, but I'm still skeptical. Especially when it comes to Ram. I hope with all the competition aftermarket Ram out there, maybe Apple will drop the price. Doesn't look like it though :( .

I don't mind buying third party both those prices are still kinda expensive.

Macintosh Sauce
Jan 17, 2007, 09:04 AM
I got only 1 GB RAM too so I could afford the 3.00 GHz configuration. Get memory from these guys! I highly recommend them and I have been a customer of theirs for years. All the RAM I have ever purchased from them still works to this day.

http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=2649&RequestTimeOut=500

Their RAM is much cheaper than Crucial and just as good. Plus their heatsinks are the best on the market.

Teh Don Ditty
Jan 17, 2007, 11:08 AM
congrats with the purchase! Let us know when you get it!

ronni3
Jan 17, 2007, 02:16 PM
Well I got it today, but unfortunately I was called into work and I have classes tonight, so I don't expect to be able to play with this thing until sometime in the late evening. :( But either way, I am happy that it has made it home.

Are there any tests I should perform?

Tangerine
Jan 17, 2007, 09:29 PM
Well I got it today, but unfortunately I was called into work and I have classes tonight, so I don't expect to be able to play with this thing until sometime in the late evening. :( But either way, I am happy that it has made it home.

Are there any tests I should perform?

Yes, it come with Mac OS X Install disk. You can use it to startup to perform hardware test. Also, try Techtool Pro if you have it to run a test.

mark88
Jan 18, 2007, 06:13 AM

Are you running Safari?

Safari has massive memory leak problems and I find you have to quit and restart it every few hours otherwise your machine grinds to a hault.

trainguy77
Jan 18, 2007, 10:20 AM
Are you running Safari?

Safari has massive memory leak problems and I find you have to quit and restart it every few hours otherwise your machine grinds to a hault.

Yes I do use Safari. I even quit it once in awhile to try help with that problem. But I still run out of RAM.

Macintosh Sauce
Jan 18, 2007, 10:30 AM
Congratulations on your purchase! Woohoo! :)

MacBoobsPro
Jan 18, 2007, 10:31 AM
Isnt it strange how no-one is switching the other way :p