PDA

View Full Version : Forget the Cingular iPhone crap...

gkarris
Jan 9, 2007, 09:08 PM
A locked phone? I wanted to buy one and slip my T-Mobile SIM card in...

No video iPod, you mean I have to buy a Cingular phone and service to get a video iPod with a larger widescreen?

Apple's lost it...

phungy
Jan 9, 2007, 09:12 PM

No video iPod, you mean I have to buy a Cingular phone and service to get a video iPod with a larger widescreen?

Apple's lost it...

No carrier is allowed to sell the iPhone except Cingular until 2009. Granted there will be unlocked iPhones for a premium but dang, I agree with you. Screw the iPhone. I'm sticking with RIM.

clevin
Jan 9, 2007, 09:13 PM
its locked? well, not really surprising, but .....

zap2
Jan 9, 2007, 09:16 PM
Ok...have fun with your Phones....I'll have my iPhone as soon as its gets the ok from the "man"!

phungy
Jan 9, 2007, 09:26 PM
Have fun playing with your iPhone while I have fun with life.

iSaint
Jan 9, 2007, 09:30 PM
Do you (we, anyone) think it will work off a SIM card?! Or is there some new technology that is inside the new iPhone that replaces it. :confused:

Chundles
Jan 9, 2007, 09:32 PM
Do you (we, anyone) think it will work off a SIM card?! Or is there some new technology that is inside the new iPhone that replaces it. :confused:

It uses a SIM card, just like 99.99% of the phones here. Pity we won't see it till 2008 but hopefully by then it'll have any kinks worked out and will be 3G capable.

Zwhaler
Jan 9, 2007, 09:50 PM
I know. SOoo annoying. Why does Apple do stuff like this. If they really want to make money and want to WOW the crowd tell everyone its unlocked.

dhlvrsn
Jan 9, 2007, 10:16 PM
How many people had the same looks on their faces reading the live transcript:

a: Widescreen iPod -> :D

b: iPhone -> :o

c: must get b to get a -> :(

Mammoth
Jan 9, 2007, 10:44 PM
Pff be happy you even have a chance of getting an iPhone. I live in Canada so it wont be carried by anyone until at least late 2007, and to make matters worse my carrier is CDMA so it doesn't matter if it ships into Canada tomorrow unlocked and for $10 I still can't use it. :mad:

wordmunger
Jan 9, 2007, 10:46 PM

It's not coming out until June. Maybe we'll get an iPod-only device with widescreen by then too.

someguy
Jan 9, 2007, 10:51 PM
I smell jealousy. And it stinks! It might just be coming from me, though.

The jealousy, not the stink...

Well..

I guess if it's understood that it's the jealousy that stinks and not me personally...

I shower. Shut up.

Silentwave
Jan 9, 2007, 11:13 PM
I'd rather deal with switching to Cingular (it wouldn't be a big deal for me, though it isn't always like that for everyone) and still get all the iPhone features that have taken these 2 years of collaboration, than give up the voicemail system and such.

darwen
Jan 9, 2007, 11:25 PM
I'd rather deal with switching to Cingular (it wouldn't be a big deal for me, though it isn't always like that for everyone) and still get all the iPhone features that have taken these 2 years of collaboration, than give up the voicemail system and such.

I guess that is the difference between customers... I wouldnt. The voice mail is cool but not necessary. I would rather it be offered unlocked w/o that. Why cant apple make it available with other carriers that can handle its basic features? Just leave the voicemail functionality out of it for those of us who cant use it. Even if the provider starts to offer the voicemail later, we will have been able to use our iPhone for all the time in between. Damn contract.

Cybix
Jan 9, 2007, 11:27 PM
no cingular in australia... nice.

I'll have my iPhone as soon as it hits our shores, for sure...

After G
Jan 9, 2007, 11:36 PM
I am sad that the phone is Cingular in the US, but you can always get one unlocked/imported, if you don't like Cingular. I'm sure the European version won't be Cingular, as mentioned by others in this thread.

And I am sure that Apple will bring this to the masses, be it updated iPods or lesser iPhones.

pengu
Jan 9, 2007, 11:46 PM
who the hell is REALLY suprised by this?

there are features of OSX that require a .mac subscription to function exactly as intended.
itunes requires an apple ID (no purchase required) to have "complete" functionality.

apple does what is required to ensure complete compatibility. thats why you cant install osx on generic x86 hardware.

yes i thing its a pain in the case of the iPhone, and i am gonna be pissed when it comes to australia locked to telstra (largest mobile net in AU) but i do EXPECT it.

until reading this post i wasnt aware it would be available unlocked at all, but hey thats just one more bonus. also, a contract usually subsidises the cost of the handset, so who knows what price it would be outright...

Silentwave
Jan 9, 2007, 11:53 PM
As always, there will probably be things we don't entirely know about that may be added or unveiled by the product's availability. Who knows what unlocking it would have the potential to cause disruption with? We won't know that until June.

That being said, I'm probably just sick of regular phones. I want my iPhone.

I think Cingular must have done more than just Pay Steve for this chance- Maybe (probably not happening, but wishful thinking never hurts) Cingular will be giving us a very nice contract for that 2 year contract- something with excellent data and call rates.

iW00t
Jan 9, 2007, 11:59 PM
I know. SOoo annoying. Why does Apple do stuff like this. If they really want to make money and want to WOW the crowd tell everyone its unlocked.

Cos no matter how cool it is, telling the crowd that it costs $899 is just such a put off. It is like an orgasm, but just before it comes someone chops it off with a cleaver. It wouldn't sell.

GFLPraxis
Jan 10, 2007, 12:00 AM

My grin just got bigger and bigger, until they hit the word Cingular.

pengu
Jan 10, 2007, 12:04 AM
Dont forget, Cingular had to provide network ability to show a visual representation of voicemail. i cant imagine that was as simple as turning on a feature of the GSM/voicemail network equipment...

also, (remember im not from the 'states) what is Cingular like on coverage/prices etc?

itsme92
Jan 10, 2007, 12:05 AM
My grin just got bigger and bigger, until they hit the word Cingular.

I haven't heard truer words in a while

phungy
Jan 10, 2007, 02:53 AM
Cos no matter how cool it is, telling the crowd that it costs $899 is just such a put off. It is like an orgasm, but just before it comes someone chops it off with a cleaver. It wouldn't sell.

:eek: That made me cringe.

faustfire
Jan 10, 2007, 03:27 AM

Are you serious? Your so proud of your collection of computer/electronics that you have everything except for the batteries and mousepads in your sig.:rolleyes:

phungy
Jan 10, 2007, 03:31 AM
Are you serious? Your so proud of your collection of computer/electronics that you have everything except for the batteries and mousepads in your sig.:rolleyes:

At least I don't list every single Apple product. :rolleyes:

Vinnie_vw
Jan 10, 2007, 08:09 AM
I think Cingular must have done more than just Pay Steve for this chance- Maybe (probably not happening, but wishful thinking never hurts) Cingular will be giving us a very nice contract for that 2 year contract- something with excellent data and call rates.

I'm thinking along similar lines also.

I mean, aren't regular smartphones subsidised by Cingular et al, which is then calculated into the monthly costs? A price for other smartphones was quoted at $ 299 + 2 years right? And if the iPhone isn't subsidised, shouldn't this translate into reduced monthly costs?

Something to think about maybe...

In any case it's very hard to do anything but speculate about something that will only really come out in 6 months.

Toe
Jan 10, 2007, 10:56 AM

Different market. Look at Steve's numbers on how many people own iPods and how many own phones. This is a much broader audience than the iPod crowd.

I personally have had at least seven Macs and zero iPods... I have no use or desire for a very expensive music (or video) player. But I have been dying to get my hands on a handheld internet device (and I don't want to carry anything more than my phone, and all the smartphones I have looked at have been horribly ungainly... and often more expensive than the iPhone).

This is exactly what I want. Well, to be honest... I'd be even happier if it had NO iPod functionality if that meant I could save $100.

Toe
Jan 10, 2007, 11:02 AM
I mean, aren't regular smartphones subsidised by Cingular et al, which is then calculated into the monthly costs? A price for other smartphones was quoted at $ 299 + 2 years right? And if the iPhone isn't subsidised, shouldn't this translate into reduced monthly costs?
Makes sense, but I doubt it will happen. Cingular is very greedy, and the way they see it, you're going to be using a ton of internet bandwidth, so they deserve your money.

And by the way, note that Cingular charges a hefty extra for internet connectivity. Your massive payment every month for phone service doesn't get you squat for data. Last I looked, they wanted an extra $25 per month for unlimited data (or less for a uselessly small amount of data).

I'm dying to have an iPhone in my pocket, but I dunno if I can deal with Cingular. If I'm looking at it correctly, it could be something like $60-70 per month minimum to use an iPhone.

wordmunger
Jan 10, 2007, 11:58 AM
Makes sense, but I doubt it will happen. Cingular is very greedy, and the way they see it, you're going to be using a ton of internet bandwidth, so they deserve your money.

And by the way, note that Cingular charges a hefty extra for internet connectivity. Your massive payment every month for phone service doesn't get you squat for data. Last I looked, they wanted an extra $25 per month for unlimited data (or less for a uselessly small amount of data).

I'm dying to have an iPhone in my pocket, but I dunno if I can deal with Cingular. If I'm looking at it correctly, it could be something like $60-70 per month minimum to use an iPhone.

It's $19 for unlimited data with smartphones. But who knows -- they may completely revise their plans by the time the iPhone comes out.

aristobrat
Jan 10, 2007, 12:14 PM

Hopefully less people than the amount of people that thought "oh, cool, I bet when it's the time of the year when Apple typically refreshes its iPods, they'll probably have a wide-screen, larger capacity model".

I am sad that the phone is Cingular in the US, but you can always get one unlocked/imported, if you don't like Cingular.
And hopefully the only feature that won't work will be just visual voicemail.

Unlimited PDA data on Verizon is $40/month, so it could be a lot worse. I'd be surprised if Cingular doesn't do a special bundle rate plan for the iPhone.

SpankyPenzaanz
Jan 11, 2007, 04:44 PM
If your account is in good standing and have had a contract through cingular uninterrupted for 90 days they unlock it

SpankyPenzaanz
Jan 11, 2007, 04:46 PM
Unlimited PDA data on Verizon is $40/month, so it could be a lot worse.

bunch of pinko commie jackasses (verizon that is)

my cingular data plan is unlimited for $29.99/month

feelthefire
Jan 11, 2007, 05:07 PM
No carrier is allowed to sell the iPhone except Cingular until 2009. Granted there will be unlocked iPhones for a premium but dang, I agree with you. Screw the iPhone. I'm sticking with RIM.

Actually, there won't be. In order to purchase the phone, you MUST purchase two years of cingular service. You will not be able to buy it without service.

matticus008
Jan 11, 2007, 05:14 PM

Apple's lost it...

its locked? well, not really surprising, but .....

until reading this post i wasnt aware it would be available unlocked at all, but hey thats just one more bonus.
There is no evidence--none, whatsoever, that the iPhone is locked. Cingular has exclusive distribution and service agreements, but that absolutely does not mean that it is automatically locked to them. It would make much more sense for Apple not to bother with a SIM lock at all, since it is no longer legal to enforce them.

Actually, there won't be. In order to purchase the phone, you MUST purchase two years of cingular service. You will not be able to buy it without service.
You can buy it and then cancel your Cingular contract for $200. Buying out the contract is actually cheaper than paying the $300+ premium to get an unlocked handset.

killmoms
Jan 11, 2007, 05:19 PM
A widescreen video iPod with the interface shown in the iPhone will come eventually, but probably not before the iPhone comes out. I'd imagine we'll see it in the fall, after the iPhone's been out for 3 or 4 months. You don't kill the anticipation for a new interface by releasing something with the same interface - phone functionality first.

Also, I will be paying to get out of my Verizon contract to get the iPhone.

killr_b
Jan 11, 2007, 05:59 PM
1. It's Cingular only because of the Random Access Voicemail feature.

2. He said $499 or $599 with a 2 year contract. I bet you could pay $699 and $799 and not sign a contract, but their "pay as you go" crap is weak.

I'm sure other carrier's will follow soon. As well as new features.

The lack of widescreen iPod as a separate device is kinda lame and I bet they know that already.

macOSX-tastic
Jan 11, 2007, 06:16 PM
ive never been a fan on multi devices....although it looks really nice and the interface is amazing, i cant justify the purchase. i want a phone for a phone, an ipod for an ipod....they are both great at what they do i beleive they work best on their own. hence, no iphone for me! K800 all the way baby!

S

yg17
Jan 11, 2007, 06:30 PM

It's more like...have fun playing with your iPhone while we happily yak away on our non-iPhones on cellular networks that work :D

drmike
Jan 11, 2007, 06:40 PM
It's not coming out until June. Maybe we'll get an iPod-only device with widescreen by then too.

I hope so. I think it's great that the phone also works as a widescreen iPod, but I'd hate to think that consumers would have to buy the phone to get that feature -- because, in addition to the price of the phone (which is high), one has to figure in all the extra costs of service (which will be high). Plus, I'd rather have the option of not using Cingular but still be able to purchase a widescreen iPod.

So, just as long as Apple doesn't pull a Must-Buy-This-Phone-To-Get-Widscreen forever, I'll be happy. :)

QuarterSwede
Jan 11, 2007, 06:54 PM
K800 all the way baby!

S
See, the thing is, some of the best phones out there to date are from Sony Ericsson so you wouldn't be taking a huge leap up. I've been making phone calls without dialing for years now thanks to SE's great phonebook system.

Although, I have to say, they "had me at scrolling." I just wish my wife would let me buy one let alone pay for a data plan on top of our monthly bill. The iPhone does seem to be the perfect all-in-one device for me. I absolutely love it.

It's more like...have fun playing with your iPhone while we happily yak away on our non-iPhones on cellular networks that work :D
There are people who hate every network. Cingular has worked perfectly fine for me where ever I've been (US East & West Coast and Central and Canada), it's been cheaper for me and I can use any SIM accepting phone I want, whenever I want.

zap2
Jan 11, 2007, 07:01 PM

Like verizon, T moblie and Sprint....oh wait thats a list of phones providers that DON'T work at my house....Cingular on the other hand does.

All networks has holes in it.

aristobrat
Jan 11, 2007, 08:02 PM
ii beleive they work best on their own. hence, no iphone for me! K800 all the way baby!
K800? The one Nokia themselves describes as "a quality camera that’s also a phone"? I guess you don't really believe that all devices should work on their own. ;)

thugpoet22
Jan 11, 2007, 08:23 PM
What if apple made it the iphone unlocked that means it could use other carriers. But Apple is making the hardware or i should say designed the hardware and the carrier provides the service. Now with this new phone, apple isn't asking for a typical service. It needs specific things. I dont know if it might have been possible to strike a deal with multiple carriers for the iphone but im sure deals like that are hard to come by and thats probably why we wont see official unlocked phones until later on. Most carriers wont want to be with the iphone until they see it makeing money. Remember this is a $500 item, who can actually afford it. Also remember Remember that this is something new with apple. Does it really makes sense to jump into a new pool without knowing how deep it is. I think apple is making a great move and all those that don't agree simply wont buy the phone.

MattyMac
Jan 11, 2007, 09:00 PM

Yes exactly what I am thinking...a special plan just for the iPhone!

Toe
Jan 11, 2007, 11:06 PM
See, the thing is, some of the best phones out there to date are from Sony Ericsson so you wouldn't be taking a huge leap up. I've been making phone calls without dialing for years now thanks to SE's great phonebook system.

I had a relatively high-end Sony Ericsson (S710), and it was awful. It did indeed hae all kinds of cool features, but it was very, very poorly thought out and very difficult to use. And it had a very high learning curve, meaning that when someone wanted to borrow my phone to make a call, I had to walk them through it. I gladly paid hefty fees to cancel my contract and get a much simpler (but pretty robustly-featured) Motorola.

A "smart phone" is an awful thing unless it is incredibly well-designed... like the iPhone seems to be.

hoggdogg
Jan 12, 2007, 12:14 AM

I put together some similar info on the potential monthly charges for iPhone service based on current Cingular plans here... :eek:

http://www.myilife.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=63

dextertangocci
Jan 12, 2007, 03:58 AM
I'm surprised the USA doesn't have the same freedom with mobile phone networks that South Africa has. We can buy an unlocked phone, and then take out a 1 or 2 year contract with a carrier of our choice, using that phone, and if we take out a contract with one network, and we decide to move to another, we can keep our phone and our number and just move. It's a lot better, IMO.

net26
Jan 12, 2007, 05:00 AM
I don't really understand why you're all going crazy over the data plans and stuff... let's face it - when you're at work, you probably have wireless internet access, and if you own a mac you almost definitely have it at home and THAT is what you will be using for data connections 80% of the time. in the end it will often not matter what kind of cellular coverage you have (voice calls need far lesser bandwidth and signal quality) if you are near a wireless access point (all airports worldwide, almost every university in the developed world, tons of shopping malls, cafes, theaters, ...) and this i think is a major + for the iphone, as it is for every other wifi enabled phone. lets just hope steve lets them make skype for the iphone, that way it won't matter if you have cell coverage, as long as you have a wireless broadband connection available.

everybody just chill.. :D

n

aristobrat
Jan 12, 2007, 08:47 AM
I'm surprised the USA doesn't have the same freedom with mobile phone networks that South Africa has. We can buy an unlocked phone, and then take out a 1 or 2 year contract with a carrier of our choice, using that phone, and if we take out a contract with one network, and we decide to move to another, we can keep our phone and our number and just move. It's a lot better, IMO.
In the US, you can also buy an unlocked phone, take out a contract with a carrier, use the phone, then move your phone and network to another carrier at the end of your contract.

The issue is that US carriers don't sell unlocked phones, so you'll have to find your unlocked phone elsewhere, or hope that your carrier will unlock your phone after you've been a customer for 90 days. T-Mobile and Cingular (the largest GSM carriers here) both used to do that, but not sure if they still do.

andiwm2003
Jan 12, 2007, 08:52 AM

it's no only south africa. it's almost everywhere on this planet. in the us it just sucks. that will slow down iphone sales a lot because some people don't like cingular, other people will be fine with cingular but are afraid to put down 600 bucks without a chance to switch carriers if they like. but that's not a apple specific problem. it's just that other phones go for only 50-300 bucks.

feelthefire
Jan 12, 2007, 09:04 AM
I don't really understand why you're all going crazy over the data plans and stuff... let's face it - when you're at work, you probably have wireless internet access, and if you own a mac you almost definitely have it at home and THAT is what you will be using for data connections 80% of the time. in the end it will often not matter what kind of cellular coverage you have (voice calls need far lesser bandwidth and signal quality) if you are near a wireless access point (all airports worldwide, almost every university in the developed world, tons of shopping malls, cafes, theaters, ...) and this i think is a major + for the iphone, as it is for every other wifi enabled phone. lets just hope steve lets them make skype for the iphone, that way it won't matter if you have cell coverage, as long as you have a wireless broadband connection available.

everybody just chill.. :D

n

At least at my university, you need special software to access the network (VPN client) and since apple has said that the phone will be pretty much closed to third party development, AND the software is made by cisco, I doubt I'll be able to access the secured network with one of these anytime soon. Chief reason I won't be buying the iPhone...I can't even use it where I live, never mind cingular's crappy coverage.

net26
Jan 12, 2007, 05:55 PM
At least at my university, you need special software to access the network (VPN client) and since apple has said that the phone will be pretty much closed to third party development, AND the software is made by cisco, I doubt I'll be able to access the secured network with one of these anytime soon. Chief reason I won't be buying the iPhone...I can't even use it where I live, never mind cingular's crappy coverage.

airport on all macs supports/acts as a vpn client, are you sure you would need the extra software provided the wifi functionality in the iphone was identical to that of an airport card in say a macbook?