Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lorkp

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Basically, we saw today with iPhone that Apple does have the capability of making a widescreen iPod. Does anyone have an idea for when they'll release this next version of the iPod?

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
Any answers you get are going to be speculation with little support. Any floating rumors about a widescreen ipod pretty much went into today's release.

I would venture to guess holiday season if at all. Maybe September. Again, this and everything that follows is a complete guess. There is no way to know at this point.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Note too that the iPhone has a unusually high resolution 160 dpi screen and STILL doesn't have significantly more actual pixels than the "regular" 5G iPod (480x280 vs 320x240). Neither is enough to render full resolution downloads from the iTunes Store, much less HD programming.

B

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Note too that the iPhone has a unusually high resolution 160 dpi screen and STILL doesn't have significantly more actual pixels than the "regular" 5G iPod (480x280 vs 320x240). Neither is enough to render full resolution downloads from the iTunes Store, much less HD programming.

B

You got the resolutions wrong.

320x480 vs 320x240.

Same width, double height. It's also the width of a PSP, but taller. Double the pixels of the regular iPod I guess.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Basically, we saw today with iPhone that Apple does have the capability of making a widescreen iPod. Does anyone have an idea for when they'll release this next version of the iPod?

i don't know, but the 5G ipod is looking really dated to me right now.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
What I want to know, if this is meant to be an iPod replacement, is if it is only 4GB and 8GB, how will you be able to store songs, photos, contacts, all the phones other data AND videos:confused: My 30GB iPod isn't even enough for my tv shows and movies etc.

I still want one though:D :cool:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You got the resolutions wrong.

320x480 vs 320x240.

Same width, double height. It's also the width of a PSP, but taller. Double the pixels of the regular iPod I guess.

Yeah, I saw that when I looked it up at apple.com after I posted. :eek: I made the incorrect assumption the screen was 16:9 (1.77) when in fact it's more like 3:2 (1.5).

It's twice the pixels, but still only half the total pixels of a VGA 640x480 display.

B

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
it makes sense that this is the next iPod - if they are going to continue to provide to the market and not force everyone into an all in one device.

If they released that iPhone as just an iPod - it would have sold a billion on it's own - they have done it, but did not rev the pod - why? Afraid that it will eat iPhone sales? Who knows, but if they can make the iPod like that and add the internet stuff so you can pick up wireless access points, basically the iPod and internet stuff then it is a real neat device as well.

It will be interesting to see where the iPod goes from here.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California

To answer the question of when Apple will announce a stand-alone widescreen true iPod video...

I would guess that they will do so either at the next keynote/media event, like last year's "Fun Products" some time in March or April. Or, it will be announced at a keynote in September or October just in time for the holiday season.

zuggerat

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2003
NY
if they were to shead the cell phone aspect and just make a wifi compatable ipod with ichat, that would be my new best friend. id gladly drop 400 dollars on it. AND if they can fit all that junk they did into the iphone and still keep it only 11.6 mm then im sure they can shrink the thickness of the ipod since 1/3 the components are missing... makes sense no? :D

ShermDog

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
Chicago
if they were to shead the cell phone aspect and just make a wifi compatable ipod with ichat, that would be my new best friend. id gladly drop 400 dollars on it. AND if they can fit all that junk they did into the iphone and still keep it only 11.6 mm then im sure they can shrink the thickness of the ipod since 1/3 the components are missing... makes sense no? :D

I'm with you, but there is no way they might have trouble maintaining the same thickness. Since the iPhone uses flash memory, and a true video iPod would probably use a HD, it would have to be at least as think as the current 5G iPod.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I'm hoping a full widescreen real video ipod will come out after this two months they need to take the iPhone through FCC approval. I don't know why just a hunch. They can't possibly think that the 5G iPod will last in all territories until 2008 (the iphones release date in asia). That would be insane. It's dated now, in fact as soon as the nano mk2 came out it was looking dated really.

Three months off I reckon (I'm hoping that though remember). :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.