PDA

View Full Version : Predicting new fullscreen iPod soon

iWinnipegger
Jan 10, 2007, 05:45 PM
i'm expecting a new iPod Fullscreen touch in Q2 or even Q1, cuz think about, they've already developed the technology for it, and it wouldn't really compete with the iPhone because the iPhone only has 4 or 8GB storage, the iPhone isn't really meant to be a Media player but more of an iPod nano combined with a phone,

4 or 8GB isn\t enough to hold your music library or your Movie collection, they\ve got the technology for it, because they're still working with the phone aspect of the iPhone,

plus we havn't really seen a new iPod release yet, since 5.5 and that wasn't really different from 5.0, i'm gunna guess maybe end of Q1, and with this new fullscreen iPod we can finally end the Zune!! alaso guessing it will have wifi capability but no idea, also i'm hoping for a 100GB or 120GB model, and maybe a 16GB model..

The Toon Master
Jan 10, 2007, 05:50 PM
if 2008, maybe so...

iWinnipegger
Jan 10, 2007, 05:52 PM
if 2008, maybe so...

nope, the key is
"iPhone is available in 4 and 8GB models"

if they released an "iPod Touch" with 30 60 and 100 GB storage, they wouldn'r really compete

iPhone: phone, internet commuicator with built in iPod Nano
iPod Touch: media player

Jopling
Jan 10, 2007, 06:43 PM
The two would never compete considering you need a contract for the iPhone and an iPod at 500 dollars would probably be at 80-100 gigs of space. If someone wants an mp3 and is going to drop 500 you better be sure they are looking for space. Same goes for someone dropping 500-600 on a phone, they want the phone capabilities, not necessarily a media player.

zelmo
Jan 10, 2007, 06:48 PM
It's really just a matter of time now.
I think Apple would be wise to get a 100 or 120GB iPod with widescreen touch on the market before the iPhone is released...get people really juiced about that sexy interface. Make 'em want the phone, too.

The Toon Master
Jan 10, 2007, 06:50 PM
No, they key point is thqt they announced products for Q2 already.., and even the Apple TV got it's debut 4 months before it came out..

I'd expect it in 08 tho..

Slipperyskates
Jan 10, 2007, 06:55 PM
I think Apple would be wise to get a 100 or 120GB iPod with widescreen touch on the market before the iPhone is released...get people really juiced about that sexy interface. Make 'em want the phone, too.

I actually disagree. From what I've seen around on forums, people seem much more psyched about all the media/internet capabilities of the iPhone, rather than the phone itself. So, if a similar iPod was released before the iPhone it seems like it would draw attention away from it. But who knows.

thechris69
Jan 10, 2007, 07:07 PM
hopefully by the end of Q1, the ipod is due for a major revision

dllavaneras
Jan 10, 2007, 07:15 PM
Well, personally I'm hoping for a Q1 introduction. My wallet doesn't agree; if this comes out, the dSLR may just have to wait...

SactoGuy18
Jan 10, 2007, 07:56 PM
My guess on release date of fullscreen iPod: September 2007, the usual month for a hardware "refresh" of iPod models. It will off 16:10 aspect ratio, touchscreen controls, and either 80 GB or 120 GB hard drive storage capacity.

adropp
Jan 10, 2007, 08:07 PM
I was crossing my fingers for the full screen video all morning yesterday. I was disappointed and amazed at the same time. I dont want the phone just the player, I think it will come out in September.

aristobrat
Jan 10, 2007, 08:28 PM
I think it'll be more towards September too, like it has been for the last two years.
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Then they can use July and August for the "Free iPod with Computer Purchase" promo (aimed at the back to school kids) to clear out the inventory.

I think the iPhone/Apple TV was the big event for the beginning of the year, to be followed by Leopard/iLife/iWork sometime in Q2, then iPods when they're normally updated.

Grimace
Jan 10, 2007, 08:46 PM
I think it'll be more towards September too, like it has been for the last two years.
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Then they can use July and August for the "Free iPod with Computer Purchase" promo (aimed at the back to school kids) to clear out the inventory.

Maybe Apple would even target college students with a "Buy a Mac, get $200 off an iPhone" -- I'd jump at that if I were in college or entering.

dukebound85
Jan 10, 2007, 08:50 PM
i'm expecting a new iPod Fullscreen touch in Q2 or even Q1, cuz think about, they've already developed the technology for it, and it wouldn't really compete with the iPhone because the iPhone only has 4 or 8GB storage, the iPhone isn't really meant to be a Media player but more of an iPod nano combined with a phone,

4 or 8GB isn\t enough to hold your music library or your Movie collection, they\ve got the technology for it, because they're still working with the phone aspect of the iPhone,

plus we havn't really seen a new iPod release yet, since 5.5 and that wasn't really different from 5.0, i'm gunna guess maybe end of Q1, and with this new fullscreen iPod we can finally end the Zune!! alaso guessing it will have wifi capability but no idea, also i'm hoping for a 100GB or 120GB model, and maybe a 16GB model..

thanks captian obvious lol. although i think it may be 3rd or 4th quarter when it is released

lamerlizer
Jan 10, 2007, 09:34 PM
aw i cannot take it its so long away! oh well. there's nothing we can do about it but wait. :(

bbydon
Jan 10, 2007, 09:39 PM
probably october....it is just a matter of time.

paulwwalters
Jan 10, 2007, 10:42 PM
Yeah, wouldn't it make sense to release the fullscreen iPod sometime soon? I mean, the Zune has a widescreen mode, and Apple has developed the tech. for the iPhone, so why not? As long as it's a large capacity model (it would have to be) then it wouldn't steal the iPhone's thunder.
Also, I'd like to see a camera and wireless connectivity(for sharing somewhat Zune style) to make it a true multimedia device, but this would make it a large capacity iPhone without cellular service.

borat
Jan 11, 2007, 03:13 AM
They should definitly get on it before another mp3 player company does. Don't want there thunder stolen.

Philberttheduck
Jan 11, 2007, 03:28 AM
What's the next event again? Paris? Hell, there's a chance that they'll make it a special event now. I mean, all the information about the GUI and stuff has pretty much been discussed with the iPhone.

jmsait19
Jan 11, 2007, 03:28 AM
is this a brave prediction??

their is outcry because this phone is coming before the true video ipod... though there is still 5 months to reverse that truth... this being the case i believe it will be sooner rather than later...

and i like iPod Touch for the name. haven't heard that one yet.

After G
Jan 11, 2007, 03:32 AM
I think Apple will release it whenever they are done. Apple has said that they would be moving away from "let's release everything at big events". They have five months to finish/tidy up the iPod before the iPhone comes out.

Blue Velvet
Jan 11, 2007, 03:37 AM
Q3

Theview1
Jan 11, 2007, 10:45 AM
I really want to see a fullscreen touchscreen iPod, with the web browsing features of the iPhone. I believe that we'll definitely see one at least by Sept. I would love to get that phone, but I refuse to join Cingular to get it.

MrFirework
Jan 11, 2007, 10:53 AM
No way. No way will it be Q3. It will be out before the iPhone is available in June.

Why?

Apple chose the release order quite intentionally. It's better to come out with a gigantic keynote that generates GOBBS of press with an all-new device that does all these amazing things than it is to say "Here's a widescreen iPod. Now here's an Apple phone. Now here's a fullscreen iPod that's also a phone..."

They announced this 6 months early so they could get that splash, and now they'll use the next 5 months to trickle out the gadgets that use one or two of the technoogoies included in the iPhone.

No way are they waiting for Q3, when a million other companies could gain some ground.

No way.

aristobrat
Jan 11, 2007, 11:53 AM
Gain ground how?

I don't think any company's going to be able to look at what Apple did this Tuesday, say "Gee, let's do that with our MP3 player", incorporate it into their products and get it on store shelves anytime this year.

It'd take too long to design, test, source parts (how many touchscreen manufacturers are there?), and get ready for mass assembly, wouldn't it?

evilgEEk
Jan 11, 2007, 12:10 PM
Gain ground how?

I don't think any company's going to be able to look at what Apple did this Tuesday, say "Gee, let's do that with our MP3 player", incorporate it into their products and get it on store shelves anytime this year.

It'd take too long to design, test, source parts (how many touchscreen manufacturers are there?), and get ready for mass assembly, wouldn't it?

Not to mention getting around Apple's patents.

I agree that a true video iPod and the iPhone won't compete one-vs.-one, but they're still going to be competing for consumer dollars. I would love it if Apple released the video iPod in the next few months, but I just don't see it happening until later on in the year. Maybe not even until MWSF '08. :eek:

MrFirework
Jan 11, 2007, 12:26 PM
Gain ground how?

No, you're right. But coming up with a full-secreen, widescreen iPod-like device is a lot more possible... and since we're talking about a widescreen iPod on this thread, and not the iPhone, it makes perfect sense that competition could already be in the works.

aristobrat
Jan 11, 2007, 12:36 PM
But coming up with a full-secreen, widescreen iPod-like device is a lot more possible... and since we're talking about a widescreen iPod on this thread, and not the iPhone, it makes perfect sense that competition could already be in the works.
True!

Man, I really would hate to be Steve Jobs, trying to figure out the perfect time to launch everything. :D

So I wonder if a widescreen "touch" iPod would warrant a special media event, or if they'd just show up in the Apple store some random Tuesday?

mandoman
Jan 11, 2007, 12:36 PM
I say just in time for xmas 07, so early Q4.

thejadedmonkey
Jan 11, 2007, 12:46 PM
Ugh, no. What they need to do is merge the iPod and iPod nano, give the scroll wheel backlit buttons, and put in 20 gigs of flash memory. that would also allow it to have a freakin' huge battery.

Then, give me my iPhone sans phone for $350. 100gigs, 20 hour battery for music, 10 hours for video. I still don't think scrolling will be so easy on the touch screen though.

Or, make the screen larger and give me a tablet with AE too.

Warbrain
Jan 11, 2007, 12:52 PM
I don't see this happening this year. Maybe an iPod with a slightly larger screen, but no fullscreen iPods. The iPhone is going to remain the standard until at least December if not later.

robPOD
Jan 13, 2007, 03:11 AM
Sadly I belive the proper iPod will come out in 2008 or Q4 this year.

imacdaddy
Jan 13, 2007, 11:22 PM
[Repeat from another post]

SJ did say there will be some exciting new products coming in the next few weeks near the beginning of his keynote.

I think there will be a "special event" for a formal announcement of The Beatles on iTunes AND the introduction of a new iPod.

I think the new iPod will have the same "iPod features" found on the Apple iPhone. Meaning high-res widescreen, touch screen, new UI, cover flow, bluetooth and accelerator. I also think Apple could surprise us by including the 2MP camera just to spice up the iPod and include that Photo app as well. Afterall, it's a media device and they need to further distance themselves from the competition. It's all there on the iPhone, it won't be hard for them to just drop the phone and internet communicator from the device since it's coming off the same development and production line anyway. This will be THE iPod of all iPods!

The iPod will be that much more appealing and would be a major upgrade! You think I'm asking too much? Wishful thinking? :D

SactoGuy18
Jan 13, 2007, 11:58 PM
imacdaddy,

You can forget about the integrated camera on the widescreen iPod. I still think the 6G iPod will look somewhat like the iPhone but have the thickness of the 80 GB 5.5G iPod (in order to accommodate 80 GB and 120 GB hard drives and long-life battery).

technicolor
Jan 14, 2007, 12:05 AM

I dont think it would work like that.

At least not for me.

I want an iPhone, mostly for its look and the technology, but I already have a NON cingular/at&t phone. If they dropped an iPod with a large capacity drive that had similar look and touchscreen as the iPhone, I probably wouldnt get the iPhone.

I honestly dont see Apple releasing that technology on the iPod any time soon. They have more of a reason to keep iPods as iPods and have their iPhone separate. I dont see the two technologies merging anytime soon.

The long awaited touchscreen iPod we all waited for was really the iPhone all this time.

dllavaneras
Jan 14, 2007, 12:10 AM
You can forget about the integrated camera on the widescreen iPod.

I hadn't thought of that option. That would totally rock!

MacsAttack
Jan 14, 2007, 05:41 AM
Sadly I belive the proper iPod will come out in 2008 or Q4 this year.

That would be my guess. Apple want the people who "just have to have" that fancy full screen iPod to run out and boost sales of their phone.

MacsAttack
Jan 14, 2007, 05:45 AM
SJ did say there will be some exciting new products coming in the next few weeks near the beginning of his keynote.

He also said that after the Intel switch announcment - that Apple still had some "great Power PC products" to come.

As I recall all we got was the last generation G5 iMac. Not quite "products" plural...

"Exciting new products" could just be marketing-speak for iWork 07 and ILife 07...

buffalo
Jan 14, 2007, 01:01 PM
Widescreen iPod, touchscreen, anything 30+ gigs, with wifi...

I'd buy that in a second.

Zwhaler
Jan 14, 2007, 01:03 PM
I predict it will come out in september, because Apple needs a keynote to explain how to use it lol

s1ck-mac
Jan 22, 2007, 06:28 PM
I say in a commercial during the super bowl. The commercial will introduce the Beatles music video on the new iPod full screen video. It will be out before iPhone.

Jack1991
Jan 22, 2007, 06:49 PM
I say an a commercial during the super bowl. The commercial will introduce the Beatles music video on the new iPod full screen video. It will be out before iPhone.

im thinking more along the lines of one of the classic ipod and itunes commercials with people rocking out to twist and shout and then at the end the new ipod comes on, which i think will merely be an uprgade to a larger hard-drive and if were lucky a slightly larger screen. no full screen multi touch... not yet. thats my guess.

s1ck-mac
Jan 24, 2007, 07:07 PM
I say in a commercial during the super bowl. The commercial will introduce the Beatles music video on the new iPod full screen video. It will be out before iPhone.

like i said before

Rumor just came out! (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/rumor/rumor-widescreen-touch-ipod-beatles-edition-to-be-announced-at-super-bowl-231292.php)

Chiggs
Jan 24, 2007, 09:33 PM
I agree completely - give us the widescreen iPod with the touchscreen. It's been almost a year and a half since the current generation iPod was introduced. Apple seems to be draffing it's heals a little here.

Go one step further and give us the WiFi buit into the next generation iPod and you essentially have the iPhone without the Phone. I posted something along these lines a few weeks ago on my blog with my thoughts one who this would appeal to.

http://torants.blogspot.com/2007/01/online-petition-for-iphone-minus-phone.html

The killer thing here would be without any carrier limitations, Apple could add iSight or Skype type functionality and give people in areas with WiFi the beginnings of a real alternative to a cell phone.

spicyapple
Jan 24, 2007, 09:42 PM
There's a lot to be said for a 6G iPod that still uses the clickwheel. I still think it's more efficient to navigate songs than a touch interface. The only reason Apple would go to a touch iPod is if video playback is more important than music playback, and I don't see that happening anytime soon. Perhaps 2 iPod variants?

So my prediction: No full-screen touch-screen iPod until Q1 2008. :)

SactoGuy18
Jan 24, 2007, 11:44 PM
There's a lot to be said for a 6G iPod that still uses the clickwheel. I still think it's more efficient to navigate songs than a touch interface. The only reason Apple would go to a touch iPod is if video playback is more important than music playback, and I don't see that happening anytime soon. Perhaps 2 iPod variants?

So my prediction: No full-screen touch-screen iPod until Q1 2008. :)

I think when we do finally see the widescreen touchscreen iPod based on iPhone technology, it will have both the "traditional" click wheel interface on the touchscreen and the new interface now found on the iPhone. It will probably arrive September 2007 as part of the hardware "refresh" of the iPod design, and will offer your choice of 80 GB or 120 GB hard drives.

s1ck-mac
Jan 28, 2007, 07:24 PM
I think when we do finally see the widescreen touchscreen iPod based on iPhone technology, it will have both the "traditional" click wheel interface on the touchscreen and the new interface now found on the iPhone. It will probably arrive September 2007 as part of the hardware "refresh" of the iPod design, and will offer your choice of 80 GB or 120 GB hard drives.

agreed, however i think it will be out before iphone

Brent.Curtis
Jan 30, 2007, 09:18 PM
If you look at the current line up of iPods in terms of design, the 5th gen iPod is the odd one out. The shuffle, nano (and even the iPhone) are all made of the aluminum. My guess would be that the 6th Gen iPod won't have the stainless steel back, but will more resemble the iphone design.

I can't see it being released before the iPhone. I would say around September. This way it will fill gap between the June US release of the iPhone and the 2008 release for Asia Pacific Region

ezekielrage_99
Jan 30, 2007, 10:01 PM
Apple has the technological know how and market for a full screen iPod, it will happen and it's not a matter of if rather than when. I think if they do release a full screen iPod it will be after the official commercial release of the iPhone so the iPhone will still sell well.

I'm guessing Q2 for a full screen iPod and I hope they will be made out of the same stuff as the iPod Nanos and Shuffles.