PDA

View Full Version : The Problems with the iPhone

Chimpan-A
Jan 10, 2007, 06:19 PM
This thread is my attempt to bring together a list of all the things that are preventing the iPhone being all it could be...

The Problems with the iPhone.

Storage - I would rather have a hard drive in it than just flash ram. An 80 gig model, even if a few millimeters fatter would allow me to actually replace my iPod with this. At the moment it can only replace ones iPod Nano.

An SD Card slot or equivalent. For adding storage and downloading photos from cameras etc. Or maybe it should have...

A USB port. Mainly for plugging in USB Flash Drives to swap data

Wireless syncing - It has WiFi built in for crying out loud. We should be able to sync to a mac with out a cord.

3G - It needs to offer the latest internet connection methods, not just EDGE.

Vibrate Mode- An often used mode on cellphones for when you dont want your phone to make a noise when a call comes in - does the iPhone have this? it wasn't mentioned.

Ability to switch quickly to different customizable modes - like on most phones, so that I can have a silent mode, an 'At the Office' mode etc each of which has different ring settings etc - maybe it has this but it wasn't mentioned. In fact it should have...

Full Telephony functionality - Different Answerphone messages for different callers, different ring tones for different callers, ability to automatically direct certain callers to voicemail and let others through. Maybe it can do this.

Third party apps - Hopefully we can write software for it.

A Stylus - Yes the touch screen solution looks good. But why not offer a stylus as well, so that then it could recognize handwriting and serve as a PDA too, in fact...

Why is this not a full blown PDA? Or PDA-Killer? If it is running OS X why not make it a full mini computer. The stylus would be necessary, but surely there is no technical reason to not let this do everything a Newton could and more?

It would be cool to be able to buy songs and movies directly from the iTunes store from the iPhone without a computer

And of course the fact it can't be bought separately from Cingular contracts sucks, as does the price, but that will come down

Anyone else have any thoughts or changes they would make...

Passante
Jan 10, 2007, 06:42 PM
and it was :p

Slipperyskates
Jan 10, 2007, 07:07 PM
Wireless syncing - It has WiFi built in for crying out loud. We should be able to sync to a mac with out a cord.

Vibrate Mode- An often used mode on cellphones for when you dont want your phone to make a noise when a call comes in - does the iPhone have this? it wasn't mentioned.

Ability to switch quickly to different customizable modes - like on most phones, so that I can have a silent mode, an 'At the Office' mode etc each of which has different ring settings etc - maybe it has this but it wasn't mentioned. In fact it should have...

A Stylus - Yes the touch screen solution looks good. But why not offer a stylus as well, so that then it could recognize handwriting and serve as a PDA too, in fact...

Anyone else have any thoughts or changes they would make...

Wireless syncing would really give the iPhone a boost, I'm guessing that this might be added later, since the wireless standards necessary are already built in. And if not I'm sure someone will come up with a hack.

Steve did mention in his keynote that it had a silent switch on the side, much like current smartphones. I took this to mean a vibration option, but now that you point that out it was never explicitly stated.

Apple did the right thing with getting rid of the stylus, though. I have a Treo, and using the stylus is a pain, especially since with a cellphone you generally pull it out, hit a few buttons and put it away. Getting rid of the stylus also allows you to use it with one hand- like an iPod.

Benjamindaines
Jan 10, 2007, 07:11 PM
Regarding wireless syncing:
The phone had bluetooth

Bubbasteve
Jan 10, 2007, 07:17 PM
I wish they replaced EDGE with 3G and added an iChat mobile for chatting when you're in a WiFi hotspot....

I think they can add the iChat mobile through a software update or once it's released it will fulfill that capability

I also hope Cingular responds to the iPhone by setting up an "iPhone" plan where you get an all-in-one data plan that suits the iPhone moreso then other phones.

If Cingular does that and the iChat is added I can see myself purchasing this phone...if not then I'll possibly wait until the second version

applemacdude
Jan 10, 2007, 08:05 PM
The Phone is not finished. It is still in devolopment, many things could possibly change from now until June.

bpreisner
Jan 10, 2007, 08:09 PM
Enough said...

zap2
Jan 10, 2007, 08:21 PM
I gots a problem with it...its not out yet!! :rolleyes:

But really...iPhone is rocks, as your "problems"

Bold is you...not bold is me.

Storage - How much do you want it to cost? and now big?
An SD Card slot - Not needed , wastes space

A USB port- Thats on of the worst ideas EVER

Wireless syncing - In due time....all Apple needs to do is a software fix, and its all good.

3G - Meh...it was Wi-Fi I'm fine

Vibrate Mode- I'm sure Apple will have it...its just not a very "cool" for Jobs to brag about.

Ability to switch quickly to different customizable modes -Might have it...but even if it didn't thats really a very small detail

Full Telephony functionality - Again your talking about things we don't know about

Third party apps - If its runs OS X...I think someone will hack it, or Apple will open it

A Stylus - Jobs mocked this idea...see keynote for reasons.

It would be cool to be able to buy songs and movies directly from the iTunes store from the iPhone without a computer-I'll give your that one...but I'm not sure Cingular would have gone with that idea

And of course the fact it can't be bought separately from Cingular contracts sucks, as does the price, but that will come down
You want them to had more features, but drop the price? Pick one!!!

Chimpan-A
Jan 10, 2007, 08:25 PM
and it was :p

Good for you! :)

dukebound85
Jan 10, 2007, 08:27 PM
a usb port would be nice if you think about it....especially for thumbdrives

Chimpan-A
Jan 10, 2007, 08:30 PM
Enough said...

Yes it has bluetooth, and WiFi. But I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the only way to sync your iTunes library with it is via a cable. If not then great

Benjamindaines
Jan 10, 2007, 08:34 PM

Why in the world would you put a thumb drive in your phone. It's a phone not a mobile computer!

Chimpan-A
Jan 10, 2007, 08:40 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to make you guys so defensive. It was more just a hypothetical discussion of what would make this device 'perfect' or at least 'better'. It was not meant as an attack on the iPhone which I think is very cool.

For the sake of making my list of wishes or dream features complete I included a very small comment about the price. I was not suggesting for a moment that in the practical world they can reduce the price and add all these features. So I don't think i need to "pick one!!!"

I was just making wish list. I apologize as I seem to have disturbed you somehow.

Out of interest, why would adding a USB port be "on[e] of the worst ideas EVER"?

The idea of a stylus was not to replace the great multi-touch mode they have created, but just an idea for adding even more functionality. Handwriting will be faster for writing long documents than using a touch screen, will it not?

Anyway, try to relax about it all. Its all just opinions.

cheers

I gots a problem with it...its not out yet!! :rolleyes:

But really...iPhone is rocks, as your "problems"

Bold is you...not bold is me.

Storage - How much do you want it to cost? and now big?
An SD Card slot - Not needed , wastes space

A USB port- Thats on of the worst ideas EVER

Wireless syncing - In due time....all Apple needs to do is a software fix, and its all good.

3G - Meh...it was Wi-Fi I'm fine

Vibrate Mode- I'm sure Apple will have it...its just not a very "cool" for Jobs to brag about.

Ability to switch quickly to different customizable modes -Might have it...but even if it didn't thats really a very small detail

Full Telephony functionality - Again your talking about things we don't know about

Third party apps - If its runs OS X...I think someone will hack it, or Apple will open it

A Stylus - Jobs mocked this idea...see keynote for reasons.

It would be cool to be able to buy songs and movies directly from the iTunes store from the iPhone without a computer-I'll give your that one...but I'm not sure Cingular would have gone with that idea

You want them to had more features, but drop the price? Pick one!!!

Chimpan-A
Jan 10, 2007, 08:41 PM
Why in the world would you put a thumb drive in your phone. It's a phone not a mobile computer!

Why can't it be both? It is already running OS X and can run "desktop quality" applications.

Benjamindaines
Jan 10, 2007, 08:50 PM
Why can't it be both? It is already running OS X and can run "desktop quality" applications.

It's all about simplicity, if you want a do-it-all device carry a MacBook around with skype.

dukebound85
Jan 10, 2007, 08:51 PM

besides the fact the iphone can get on the internet send emails, play music, videos and even runs a version of osx....yea just a phone i guess im wrong. what was i thinking

id like a usb port to transfer data...how hard would it be to change the dock connector cable to just a plain usb port to charge up the ipod? this would also provide more functionality to those who may appreciate it

QuarterSwede
Jan 10, 2007, 08:52 PM
I really don't see the need for a USB port or SD slot because it has bluetooth. I never use the USB cable for my phone when transferring data, instead I use bluetooth. It's just easier.

adk
Jan 10, 2007, 08:59 PM
I really don't think it would be physically possible to squeeze a full size USB port into the iphone. Jobs said it was thinner than the Q, and with all of the gadgets already squeezed into that tiny package I just don't think there's room. A microSD slot would be a much more practical suggestion, but once again, space is an issue.

macman2790
Jan 10, 2007, 09:04 PM
i hope it can run windows xp on bootcamp.:D

Im really just kidding, i hate windows, never will use it again unless i'm forced too.

sushi
Jan 10, 2007, 09:11 PM
i hope it can run windows xp on bootcamp.:D
Now that would be fun, just for the sake of it.

Hey, look. I can run multiple OS'es on my phone! :D

aristobrat
Jan 10, 2007, 09:32 PM
Oye, a dual-boot phone. Now that's hot. :eek: :D

To the OP:

IMO, the problem with more storage isn't "a few mm more of space", but battery. It takes WAYYYYYYY more juice to run a hard-drive (like the 30gb/60gb iPod) than it does flash memory (like the nanos).

Chimpan-A
Jan 10, 2007, 09:38 PM
Oye, a dual-boot phone. Now that's hot. :eek: :D

To the OP:

IMO, the problem with more storage isn't "a few mm more of space", but battery. It takes WAYYYYYYY more juice to run a hard-drive (like the 30gb/60gb iPod) than it does flash memory (like the nanos).

Good point, I think you're probably right

darwen
Jan 10, 2007, 10:40 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to make you guys so defensive. It was more just a hypothetical discussion of what would make this device 'perfect' or at least 'better'. It was not meant as an attack on the iPhone which I think is very cool.

Its just a silly idea. I doubt anyone is upset, it just dose not make sense. You say you think the phone is very cool yet you are cutting it down right here. Let me put it this way, would you have made a post saying all the things you thought were cool about the phone? No, I would hope not. Nobody really has any intrest. People click on your topic though to see the propaganda (for lack of better word) you are putting forward. Most of your complaints have either been addressed or are not logical. This whole post is not very apple. Most of these 'features' seem to be a step in the wrong direction. I can clarify if that does not make sense.

The idea of a stylus was not to replace the great multi-touch mode they have created, but just an idea for adding even more functionality. Handwriting will be faster for writing long documents than using a touch screen, will it not?

This is a perfect example. Have you tried using a stylus? I dont mean on a friends PDA or in a store... have you lived with one? I used a tablet for 6 months and I must say, stylus' seem a lot better in concept than use. Handwriting looks cool until you are writting a letter or an essay. You need to double check everything and correct most things. If it does not get it 100% correct it takes much longer to do. Editing the recognition is just to difficult.

EDIT: In addition, read up on how the phone was first invented. It is ALL based on the multi-touch, the whole thing based around that. Adding a stylus wouldnt make sense even as a 'why not' feature. The OS was designed as a use for multi touch, not the other way around. Stylus applictions use the latter concept.

asxtb
Jan 10, 2007, 10:48 PM
Wirelessly posted (Vodafone/1.0/V705SH/SHJ001 Browser/VF-NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

List of improvements needed:
camera, at least 4 or 5MP
barcode reader
digital wallet
tv

That is a good start.

faustfire
Jan 11, 2007, 12:02 AM
Regarding wireless syncing:
The phone had bluetooth

Sorry, it cannot sync wirelessly even with bluetooth and wifi. Doesnt make sense but thats just the way it is.

Chimpan-A
Jan 11, 2007, 12:19 AM
Fine lets forget the stylus then, but are 'most' of the other ideas really a step in the wrong direction?

As for the the criticism that "This whole post is not very apple". Well I must admit I didn't believe posts here had to be "very apple". Do we really have to tow the party line unquestioningly? Are we really not allowed to suggest improvements for Apple products?

I didn't mean to spread 'propaganda', honestly. I was just trying to stimulate a discussion of what future improvements might be good.

I really thought we were allowed to question and critique, as such feedback is useful to many companies. If that's not the case with Apple then my bad.

Its just a silly idea. I doubt anyone is upset, it just dose not make sense. You say you think the phone is very cool yet you are cutting it down right here. Let me put it this way, would you have made a post saying all the things you thought were cool about the phone? No, I would hope not. Nobody really has any intrest. People click on your topic though to see the propaganda (for lack of better word) you are putting forward. Most of your complaints have either been addressed or are not logical. This whole post is not very apple. Most of these 'features' seem to be a step in the wrong direction. I can clarify if that does not make sense.

This is a perfect example. Have you tried using a stylus? I dont mean on a friends PDA or in a store... have you lived with one? I used a tablet for 6 months and I must say, stylus' seem a lot better in concept than use. Handwriting looks cool until you are writting a letter or an essay. You need to double check everything and correct most things. If it does not get it 100% correct it takes much longer to do. Editing the recognition is just to difficult.

EDIT: In addition, read up on how the phone was first invented. It is ALL based on the multi-touch, the whole thing based around that. Adding a stylus wouldnt make sense even as a 'why not' feature. The OS was designed as a use for multi touch, not the other way around. Stylus applictions use the latter concept.

AppleGuy08
Jan 11, 2007, 01:07 AM

are all you guys talking about a usb drive retarded? it already hooks up with your computer through USB! It cant sync wirelessly, and it sure as hell isnt a firewire cable that will come with it, so usb is the last option. the iPhone has an ipod cable jack at the bottom...remember?? lol, so stop worrying about USB, im sure it will pop up right on your desktop as an external drive so you can drag and drop all your lil' goodies.

Wirelessly posted (Vodafone/1.0/V705SH/SHJ001 Browser/VF-NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

barcode reader
digital wallet
tv

That is a good start.

and if thats a route that you'd like to take, you'd probably have to cough up a few more hundred dollars. might as well just go buy a real camera, carry a wallet like everyone else, and leave your tv at home!! ahh

jdisenberg
Jan 11, 2007, 03:44 AM
Didn't Steve have cocoa as a reason for using osx on the phone? Doesn;t this mean that one will probably be able to write software for it?

Maybe and maybe not I guess...

Max Payne
Jan 11, 2007, 03:56 AM
I thought there was a device with all of these components + others. Although larger, but it has a larger screen. The device name is

iMac

jdisenberg
Jan 11, 2007, 04:05 AM
I thought there was a device with all of these components + others. Although larger, but it has a larger screen. The device name is

iMac

no...no multi-touch

asxtb
Jan 11, 2007, 04:05 AM
and if thats a route that you'd like to take, you'd probably have to cough up a few more hundred dollars. might as well just go buy a real camera, carry a wallet like everyone else, and leave your tv at home!! ahh
I could. Or I could get a phone that has a 3.2MP camera, acts as a digital wallet, does video conferencing, and has a TV. And I can get it free with a 1 year contract. Most phones now do TV and are a digital wallet. And some phones have 5MP cameras already.

I'm just saying as inovating as the iPhone is, it still has a lot of work to do especially to be marketable in countries like Japan. Let's hope the Japan release is a version 2 or higher. Because as it is now, I think it would be a flop in Japan. Especially when released in 2008.

Applespider
Jan 11, 2007, 04:09 AM
Here's my list - and you can figure out from that which ones of yours I agree with. The key here is mass-market though and which features most people want.

Mini-SD card is useful. Means you can have a library of movies rather than just a few especially when that 4GB is also doing your music/photos. Then again, most people seem to cope perfectly well with the 512MB that comes with the phone and it's only serious users who pick up higher values. And I don't think that come June, other musicphone manufacturers will be throwing in 4GB flash cards as standard.

3G needs to happen - will just be a question as to whether its a new model or they squeeze it into the Euro/Asia launch version. But it does need another transmitter and uses more battery power so who knows. I have 3G on my current phone but to be honest, since I don't use video calling, I don't particularly notice. But on those big glossy comparison boards, it needs to be there.

Camera - 2MP is barely enough in Jan 2007. The top-end phones are already at 3MP and going up to 5MP. Now we could argue that since the lenses and flashes are usually pants (incidentally, does the iPhone have a light/flash on the back?), the MP resolution doesn't matter. I'm not sure I see much difference between my old SE k750 2MP and my current Nokia 3MP. And does it support video?

SMS - I like the conversation idea but it seems to assume small messages are the norm. And can I send the same message to multiple people? And how easy is it going to be to type things in.

Synching - it has to offer Bluetooth synching as a minimum.

3rd party apps - you'd think you'd allow them on there? But then again, most people download a few games (and they could allow iPod style games) and not much else. But for the geeks out there who are likely the core audience, you need to let them on there.

Was surprised when Steve talked about encouraging people to use contacts more on their phone since most people dial the number or use the recent numbers. Really? Most people I know in the UK (including my mother and her friends who are hardly techies) complain that they can't remember anyone's numbers because they're all programmed into their home and mobile phones.

Aside from the iPod part, I don't think the iPhone offers much new functionality (I can sync Contacts, email, have a Webkit based browser and take better pics/video on my current phone) but it does it with more style and a better UI.

Passante
Jan 11, 2007, 05:45 AM
The iPhone doesn't support Ogg Vorbis! :D :rolleyes:

Goldfinger
Jan 11, 2007, 07:03 AM

barcode reader
digital wallet
tv

That is a good start.

lol; barcode reader. Good one.

Why on earth would you need that ?

emotion
Jan 11, 2007, 07:08 AM
Sorry, it cannot sync wirelessly even with bluetooth and wifi. Doesnt make sense but thats just the way it is.

How do you know?

This device isn't finalised yet. This thread is 6 months too early.

aristobrat
Jan 11, 2007, 08:20 AM
How do you know?

This device isn't finalised yet. This thread is 6 months too early.
I read an article on one of the bigger tech blogs where it appeared that Phil Schiller said that during an interview (about no sync'ing over BT or WiFi).

emotion
Jan 11, 2007, 10:20 AM
I read an article on one of the bigger tech blogs where it appeared that Phil Schiller said that during an interview (about no sync'ing over BT or WiFi).

Honestly, I believe it when I see it (in 6 mnths time). I can understand the wifi limit but no bluetooth syncing? Come on, my 3 year old se t610 can do that.

Maybe it's Cingular trying to flog you americans more ring tones or something?

aristobrat
Jan 11, 2007, 11:57 AM
Honestly, I believe it when I see it (in 6 mnths time). I can understand the wifi limit but no bluetooth syncing? Come on, my 3 year old se t610 can do that.

Maybe it's Cingular trying to flog you americans more ring tones or something?
FWIW, the gist of the article I was reading was about iTunes synching.

emotion
Jan 11, 2007, 11:59 AM
FWIW, the gist of the article I was reading was about iTunes synching.

Ah ok, different things I guess.

I'm still reserving any kind of judgement until I can actually buy an iPhone though :)

Jack1991
Jan 11, 2007, 12:05 PM
im suprised they didnt put the camera on the front so you could video chat with other iphone owners on your phone. talk about revolutionizing the phone.

evilgEEk
Jan 11, 2007, 12:25 PM
im suprised they didnt put the camera on the front so you could video chat with other iphone owners on your phone. talk about revolutionizing the phone.

It'd be a little difficult to take regular photos then, wouldn't it? You wouldn't be able to see what you're taking a picture of, unless you always want to take a picture of your face. ;)

Now if there was a screen on the back, then you'd have a point. Of course this is all just "wish-list" stuff, so I guess anything's possible! :D

emotion
Jan 11, 2007, 12:27 PM
It'd be a little difficult to take regular photos then, wouldn't it? You wouldn't be able to see what you're taking a picture of, unless you always want to take a picture of your face. ;)

Now if there was a screen on the back, then you'd have a point. Of course this is all just "wish-list" stuff, so I guess anything's possible! :D

Most high end phones/pdas like this solve this by having two cameras. The vid conf one on the front doesn't need to be that high a resoltion.

Benjamindaines
Jan 11, 2007, 03:57 PM

You do NOT know that unless you have some magical inside info from steve

asxtb
Jan 11, 2007, 04:12 PM
lol; barcode reader. Good one.

Why on earth would you need that ?
A little closed minded, aren't we?

You use the bar code to access websites and email addresses. If you're reading a paper/magazine/advertisement anywhere and want to visit the website for more information YOU can go ahead and type 'http://www.iwishihadabarcodereaderonmyphone.com/advertisement' I'll press a button for the camera. Press a button for the barcode reader. Press a button to scan. And I'm at the website.

emotion
Jan 11, 2007, 04:27 PM
A little closed minded, aren't we?

You use the bar code to access websites and email addresses. If you're reading a paper/magazine/advertisement anywhere and want to visit the website for more information YOU can go ahead and type 'http://www.iwishihadabarcodereaderonmyphone.com/advertisement' I'll press a button for the camera. Press a button for the barcode reader. Press a button to scan. And I'm at the website.

Nah what you need then is an RFID reader. Similar idea but more modern (and controversial) equivalent.

GFLPraxis
Jan 11, 2007, 04:46 PM
I wish they replaced EDGE with 3G and added an iChat mobile for chatting when you're in a WiFi hotspot....

I think they can add the iChat mobile through a software update or once it's released it will fulfill that capability

I also hope Cingular responds to the iPhone by setting up an "iPhone" plan where you get an all-in-one data plan that suits the iPhone moreso then other phones.

If Cingular does that and the iChat is added I can see myself purchasing this phone...if not then I'll possibly wait until the second version

Uh...the camera faces the wrong direction for video chatting. You can't watch and be seen at the same time.

GFLPraxis
Jan 11, 2007, 04:48 PM

I had been hoping for a rotatable camera like some phones have, where you can point it in front or in back. But those are ugly.

supersuperga
Jan 11, 2007, 05:13 PM
Lots and lots of problems:

1. Fixed battery - this is retarded for a smartphone. Ask anyone with an early Series 60.
2. Battery life - if you see a day with reasonable use it'll be a miracle (the CPU and the graphics chip it'll have will eat power)
3. 2G - a phone with a 38K connection is gonna look sweet up against the 3.5Meg connections phones will have in europe by then (1.7meg is where it's at on the new phones now .. there is no EDGE in most of europe because of our 'real' 3G). The last premium 2G phone to be released in europe was probably the Nokia 8800 ... in early 2005. The networks here are trying to get people off 2G.
4. Touch screen - will force 2 handed operation. Try doing anything on a device that big 1 handed ... why do you think SonyEricsson have the clip-on keyboard on the 900s?
5. Touch screen .. just like the crappy 3G iPod it will force you to take it out of your pocket to do anything.
6. Cost .. you'll be able to get a similarly featured Nokia or SE with the same memory on contract here for free (though the 8800 was about 250pounds on contract at launch)
7. It's their 1st phone. It's not an easy thing to make a reliable radio stack (Just ask Microsoft .. this might explain the GSM choice as it was probably easier to buy in).

It looks sweet, but it's gonna be a better PDA/iPod than a phone.

Oh, and stop all this 'real' OS-X and 'desktop' app BS. It's about as close to that as Windows Mobile phones are to XP. All because it looks kind of the same and has the same name doesn't make it OSX.

Just my tuppenys worth.

Still want one though ;-)

darwen
Jan 11, 2007, 05:25 PM
Fine lets forget the stylus then, but are 'most' of the other ideas really a step in the wrong direction?

As for the the criticism that "This whole post is not very apple". Well I must admit I didn't believe posts here had to be "very apple". Do we really have to tow the party line unquestioningly? Are we really not allowed to suggest improvements for Apple products?

I didn't mean to spread 'propaganda', honestly. I was just trying to stimulate a discussion of what future improvements might be good.

I really thought we were allowed to question and critique, as such feedback is useful to many companies. If that's not the case with Apple then my bad.

Posts questioning apple's intentions and bringing to light features that should have been added are welcomed, I myself have posted many. That is not what your post was though.

I used the word propaganda because I could not find a better word. As the word is defined by dictionary.com most of this site and forum is propaganda (information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.). I look at this with a slightly different definition (chiefly derogatory information, esp. of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular cause or point of view.)

You were not suggesting features that should be added, you were ragging on the device for not having things you wanted. Your tone puts a very negative light on a product many people around here are really looking forward to.

This board is full of apple fans. You are going to have a hard sell with any anti-apple propaganda. If you are wondering why the responses are negative, that is why. It is the same reason as why Microsoft boards have a Windows spin on everything.

darwen
Jan 11, 2007, 05:31 PM
You do NOT know that unless you have some magical inside info from steve

No magical insight needed. Refer to time.com for the answer. In the recent article they mentioned this. It has also been on quite a few other websites.

Benjamindaines
Jan 11, 2007, 05:41 PM
No magical insight needed. Refer to time.com for the answer. In the recent article they mentioned this. It has also been on quite a few other websites.

Ok but either way do you really want to have to wait for your music videos and other data to be transfered over a slow 3mbps connection when you could just drop it in a dock and go which would be about 160 times faster?

darwen
Jan 11, 2007, 05:48 PM
Ok but either way do you really want to have to wait for your music videos and other data to be transfered over a slow 3mbps connection when you could just drop it in a dock and go which would be about 160 times faster?

I thought you were saying you didnt like the idea of the dock. Oh well. I support the dock, I dont really see what the issue is. I only need to plug in my ipod every few weeks and it is not a problem. No complaints from me.

I am sure if I got used to the auto syncing I would like it but I am not and therfore dont really care either way.

Ps - not sure where 160 comes from but since you threw in the about I guess we can let it fly. :) just kidding!

Qianlong
Jan 11, 2007, 05:53 PM
the specs doesn't mention if you can view Divx or other vid formats on the iPhone.

i don't want to transcode everthing into mpg4 or something apple want us to use or buy.

maybe VLC will bring us a mobile version of their player?

MacsomJRR
Jan 11, 2007, 05:53 PM
The iPhone is great new device. I just don't see why people are actively picking through its long list of incredible features and trying to find any and or all of it's shortcomings. LAaaaaaaaaAAAaaaaaaAAAAAAAmmmee.

Benjamindaines
Jan 11, 2007, 06:11 PM
not sure where 160 comes from but since you threw in the about I guess we can let it fly. :) just kidding!

Speed of usb is 480mbps so 480 divided by 3 (speed of Bluetooth) equals 160. The about comes in because USB isn't a constant 480 speed =]

deuce
Jan 11, 2007, 11:13 PM
There needs to be a way to use the iPhone on an Airplane.

I have a Nokia Smartphone that I can listen to music, watch video, play games, etc., yet it is not possible to use these features on a plane.

Apple needs to have a clear way to turn off all wireless features and get the word out to the airlines that this is possible. The media capabilities are the main draw of this thing and something I would definitely want to use while on a flight. I don't want to spend $500-$600 on a device that I can't use while flying.

Hopefully Apple will think of this and come up with a solution.

Smartphone users would typically be frequent flyers.

Chimpan-A
Jan 11, 2007, 11:43 PM
"You were not suggesting features that should be added, you were ragging on the device for not having things you wanted"
- Nope, sorry, I have to refute that completely. I was definitely suggesting features I would like added. I was definitely not "ragging" on the iPhone, as I am a long time Apple fan and want it to be all it can be.

I honestly have no "anti-apple propaganda" to sell, and to suggest that makes you sound (to me) both a little defensive and paranoid.

And apart from the issue of the stylus you haven't yet provided any evidence for why you claim that the majority of the suggestions made were not merely unnecessary but actually "a step in the wrong direction", from which I take it you mean they would make the product worse?

Posts questioning apple's intentions and bringing to light features that should have been added are welcomed, I myself have posted many. That is not what your post was though.

I used the word propaganda because I could not find a better word. As the word is defined by dictionary.com most of this site and forum is propaganda (information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.). I look at this with a slightly different definition (chiefly derogatory information, esp. of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular cause or point of view.)

You were not suggesting features that should be added, you were ragging on the device for not having things you wanted. Your tone puts a very negative light on a product many people around here are really looking forward to.

This board is full of apple fans. You are going to have a hard sell with any anti-apple propaganda. If you are wondering why the responses are negative, that is why. It is the same reason as why Microsoft boards have a Windows spin on everything.

sushi
Jan 16, 2007, 06:54 PM
Why?

A thin cell phone with a large CCD and plastic lens is not going to give you great pictures. That is what a digital camera is for.

zap2
Jan 16, 2007, 07:10 PM
i don't want to transcode everthing into mpg4 or something apple want us to use or buy.

Every company picks formats and supports them...there no huge advantage or disadvantage at the end of the day there similar(unless DMR screws with them, that I hate)

Rapmastac1
Jan 17, 2007, 12:27 AM
The biggest fault of this phone, hmmm.

Think of it this way, you want to build an awesome offroad vehicle, ok, stay with me now. So you start out, hmm, I want leather, a full in car computer with a mini satellite built in the rear, but you can only get one channel. Ok, now we want wood trim right, oh yeah, and we need more light, so lets throw on a mooonroof. Then you tink heck, I need this car to look totally different, so you decide to make it look like a stretch limo, a 23 foot long hummer, in a sense. Now, you want to stick huge tires on it, but don't want the car too high, so you stick the tires out on the sides, and have the car two inches off the ground, now that my friends, is an awesome off road vehicle, NOT!

That is a somewhat off the road but still on track analogy. This was made to be a cell phone, to do what none other can, but I know what my cell phone can do that that wont, I can drop my cell phone, drop it high, drop it fast, drop in in water, and text real fast. The phone is like putting a carton of eggs in ur pocket, oh, you'll be fine.

Cell phones, of all things that I own, take the most beating. My cell phone has fallen a few times, and has a dent on the battery door, but the front is great, and the screen is great too. And the screen on the iPhone, oh crap, if anyone has a PSP, they will know exactly what I mean. And if you saw the close up when Steve was describing the pinch, you get to see the mass amount of dust and fingerprints on that thing.

This is a cool product nonetheless, but come on...who wants a stretch limo as an offroad vehicle, not me!