PDA

View Full Version : AMD Power PC 604

pgwalsh
May 14, 2003, 01:29 AM
Maybe someone can explain this.

My Micro-Star International WMIinfo application reports my AMD CPU Family as a Power PC 604.

I know that AMD is based on RISC in the backend, but is it really that close to a 604e?

I posted all the info below.

Name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2700+
Description: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1
Manufacturer : AuthenticAMD
Version : Model 8, Stepping 1
DataWidth : 32 Bits
Socket Designation : Socket A
Type : Central Processor
CPU Id : 0383FBFR00000681
CPU Family : Power PC 604
CPU Stepping : 1
Load Percentage : 100 %
Max ClockSpeed : 2019 MHz
Current ClockSpeed : 2019 MHz
Voltage : 1.6 V
External Clock : 166 MHz
Upgrade Method : ZIF Socket
L2 Cache Size : 256 Kb
L2 Cache Speed : 673 MHz
Display Availability : Running/Full Power
PowerManagement Supported : false

maradong
May 14, 2003, 11:38 AM
i think it is only the brand or model name of the cpu, as the architecture is clearly x86, as pointed above...

Description: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1

pgwalsh
May 14, 2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by maradong
i think it is only the brand or model name of the cpu, as the architecture is clearly x86, as pointed above... Right, but we know it has a RISC backenda and a CISC translator in the front end. Maybe being in the PPC family would explain the performance differnce in mhz between Intel and AMD.

cubist
May 14, 2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by pgwalsh
... Maybe being in the PPC family would explain the performance differnce in mhz between Intel and AMD.

Why? I thought AMD processors were faster than Intel's.:D

pgwalsh
May 14, 2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by cubist
Why? I thought AMD processors were faster than Intel's.:D That's true at the same clock frequency by a long shot. Espcially since the 3200+ is at 2.4 Ghz and the P3 3.2 ghz are almost comparable in speed, but not due to the FSB.

yzedf
May 14, 2003, 12:37 PM
That's true at the same clock frequency by a long shot. Espcially since the 3200+ is at 2.4 Ghz and the P3 3.2 ghz are almost comparable in speed, but not due to the FSB.
Intel beats AMD because of memory bandwidth.

gbojim
May 14, 2003, 12:40 PM
Right, but we know it has a RISC backenda and a CISC translator in the front end. Maybe being in the PPC family would explain the performance differnce in mhz between Intel and AMD.

The RISC backend is actually Alpha based.

macmunch
May 14, 2003, 04:16 PM
Nope sry, the 3200+ has only 2200 MHz

pgwalsh
May 14, 2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by macmunch
Nope sry, the 3200+ has only 2200 MHz Thanks, that shows my point even more.

maradong
May 16, 2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by yzedf
Intel beats AMD because of memory bandwidth.

wrong :D
intel beats amd, even if it s only for a small part, because of the quadpump technique. wich is only indirectly related to ram throughput ...

Cubeboy
May 16, 2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by cubist
Why? I thought AMD processors were faster than Intel's.:D

Depends on the program your running is and how optimized it is towards either architecture, the Athlon's shorter pipeline and design gives it a higher IPC than the P4 meaning clock to clock, it will be faster, however, the P4 can scale alot higher than the Athlon meaning it has a lot more clocks. Its sort of like saying the one Athlon MHz is the equivalent of two Pentium 4 MHzs but the Pentium 4 has twice the Mhzs of the Athlon. I can go into this a lot more, but I'm tired so I'll explain this in detail later.

Because of how different these two architectures are, it really boils down to the program being used to compare the two processors, branch heavy programs will favor shorter-pipeline architectures with little mispredict penalties like the Athlon. programs that don't have quite so many branches will favor architectures like the Pentium4 with it's high clock speed. Generally, business apps and most integer code is branch heavy which is why we see the Athlon dominate in this area, likewise, we see the P4 dominate in areas like content creation and encoding.

Current Situation:
General Usage: Athlon
Content Creation: Pentium 4
Games: Tie (Although the Pentium 4 is better in most games)
Video Encoding: Pentium 4
3D Rendering: Pentium 4