PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see from Apple?

nighttraitor
May 14, 2003, 09:17 AM
I just wanted to know, outside of the 970 , what kind of hardware/devices would you like to see from Apple?

yzedf
May 14, 2003, 09:42 AM
Better iBook with AE, FW800, and BT built-in.

New PowerMac case design (B&W G3 was a long time ago...).

Better BT hardware support.

Dump the 1 button mouse.

Gobi.

jethroted
May 14, 2003, 10:21 AM
What I am waiting for is a portable media centre. Roughly about the same size as the rumored tablet that is in the works. I want to be able to take all of my movies, music, pictures with me where ever I go. I want it to;

1. rip DVD movies and store them

2. rip music

3. Surf the net

4. have a video out, so I can hook it up to a tv to watch the movies

5. lots of storage space

6. the 8"x5"x1" dimension is good.

7. I would hope it has an imbedded g4, or one of the new mojave g3 chips.

nospleen
May 14, 2003, 10:24 AM
No flaming please, but I really want a pda or a pda/phone hybrid. I know it is not going to happen, but I wish it would. :D

caveman_uk
May 14, 2003, 10:53 AM
I'd like iTMS, Sherlock and iPhoto photo album ordering to work in Europe....

Kethoticus
May 14, 2003, 11:08 AM
a) black, instead of white products (for me, industrial design should be, well, industrial, and black and metallic surfaces do that best for me),

b) newer, more modern case design (enough of these goofy-looking handles and rounded edges already, and something more like a B&O stereo component),

c) much faster hardware (not just the 970, but faster FSB, HT, etc.),

d) open hardware, like the PC world enjoys,

e) OS X for x86 hardware (great potential for market penetration and expansion),

f) OS X apps with Windows and Linux versions, such as FCP, iTunes, etc. (same as above).

yzedf
May 14, 2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by jethroted
What I am waiting for is a portable media centre. Roughly about the same size as the rumored tablet that is in the works. I want to be able to take all of my movies, music, pictures with me where ever I go. I want it to;

1. rip DVD movies and store them

2. rip music

3. Surf the net

4. have a video out, so I can hook it up to a tv to watch the movies

5. lots of storage space

6. the 8"x5"x1" dimension is good.

7. I would hope it has an imbedded g4, or one of the new mojave g3 chips.
JudginG by the size of a DVD drive and the size of most hard drives... you are not getting the form factor you want. Besides, it should be DVD player (component) size. It should stack in nicely with all the other home theater style components.

maradong
May 14, 2003, 11:32 AM
1) itunes for windows / linux
so that more people can dl the songs.
2) itunes worldwide aviability.
not just the us
3) of couse the ppc 970
4) lower prices in europe. the euro is about 1.1$ but the prices in europe are about 10- 15 % higher than in the us !
europe is a big marked to. come on apple.
5) piles support in 10.3 IMHO an xtremly useful feature.

that s it

CrackedButter
May 14, 2003, 11:51 AM
A BTO 2 button mouse for laptops and desktop systems.

Worldwide Apple Stores and more equal oppurtunities for the non US Apple customers (re service/support).

dstorey
May 14, 2003, 12:09 PM
I'd like to see some kindo of ultimate next revision iMac consumer pc to die for. Thus it would need to do everything a consumer wants to do now and in the next few years. This would include good hardware for games (important as kids/teens are an important factor in pc purchase choice even if they say its for their homework ;)), dvd/tv, home office, voice/text/video chat, web surfing etc.

So where does that take us? We nned something better than a MX4 graphics card and a lowly G4 for playing games so if it was to come out by years end it would need some form of ATI 9700 or equivilent and a mid to low end 970. Apple would need to either buy the likes of MacSoft or sign deals with game publishers, get some exclusives or lead time games. Wide screen is important but already a givem, and so is a tv/radio tuner so the portable in the bedroom/home office can be replaced. Web cam and mic built in with support to phone people using local calls (killer app feature but probs not likely).

ok features then:

1.4/1.6 Ghz PPC 970
ATI 9700
17"/19" widescreen with tv function and stylus touchscreen for drawing and notes on screen.
512 Mb RAM
120 Gb HHD
Bluetooth pro mouse (multi button) and keyboard (using some new form of power so recharge isnt so much a problem)
Web cam and 2/3 mic's built into screen.
motor in neck for auto neck position preference and for controlling position of web cam .
Record TV to HD/DVD software
iPhone voice chat to telephone and answer phone software

Then of course there are the towers which would just be kinda the same as now but with the latest and greatest 970's, graphics cards, 1 GB ram etc.

The mini tablet would be great...use as a remote log in client in the house, use as a pda/limited computer out the house and much easier to cary then a laptop...great for taking notes, updating diary, writing a letter on the go, ichating via mobile and even programming in the classroom etc...not for grapics profs though.

I can't see the point in the super dock but i can see something else...Either one of two things. HiFi seperates sized multimedia pizza box. Stack it in you hifi (comes in brushed metal or black) and lets you use it as a tivo type device (no subscriptions though please, maybe just .mac at worst), view photos on the tv, backup and play dvds on HD, act as a thin client for a main mac in the house or low powered mac in its own right if you don't own a full mac (like possibly the crt imac power) letting you play very basic games, word process /web surf/email on tv etc. Best for apple is though that it introduces a cheap option for people to buy from the ITMS, put iTunes on it so it can stream songs from the hd and let the itms display on the tv so that you can buy from the store. Maybe it would need a cable modem built in if its the only mac device in the house or just a jack.

Other option is to team up with the likes of philips or sony and offer a joint mini hifi that acts as a regular nice looking small hifi but stores aac on a hard disc and allows you to buy songs via a small built in screen or by attatching to the tv and possibly showing picturtes thaty are uploaded in a slideshow too. Either of these devices would introduce apple and the mac into the home without the complete need for a mac and interface with the iPod so a pc isn't needed. It allows sales of songs but can be bought by people that fear buying macs as a primary comuter (because of cost, incompatibility and speed issues even if some are precevied). I think it would sell anyway.

Well thats what i'd like, even if maybe not likely.

MorganX
May 14, 2003, 12:14 PM
Several things likely and unlikey:

If the classic iPod can handle it, software 2.0 for classic iPod.

Small speaker in iPod for alarms when iPod is off.

iPod cell phone.

Bluetooth mouse/keybaord

Bluetooth mic/earphone for iMac

Adopt Serial ATA

A slim-line, stereo-component, 802.11g wireless cable-modem gateway/iTunes receiver/MP3-AAC HD Player w/optical output and file-sharing. (HD Recording optional)

19" iMac with GPU equivalent to Mobility 9600 or better.

970 iMac.

Would like to see Apple design the next X-box for Microsoft.

Standardize on 2-button mouse.

All systems use socketed CPU and GPU.

All systems use fastest current I/O standards (i.e. once there is FW800 with backward compatibility stop producing FW400 machines. Same goes for USB1 & 2)

Apple mixer/multitrack HD recording bundle.

Slimline iMac-Powermac w/out monitor ala HushPC.

Lower prices.

voicegy
May 14, 2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by nospleen
No flaming please, but I really want a pda or a pda/phone hybrid. I know it is not going to happen, but I wish it would. :D

Hey buddy, no flamin' from THIS MacRumors member...that's exactly what I'd like to see as well, and I'm also quite aware of it not going to happen.:(

voicegy
May 14, 2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Kethoticus
b) newer, more modern case design (enough of these goofy-looking handles and rounded edges already, and something more like a B&O stereo component)

Like this?:)

(I'm totally with ya on that...give me a limited edition BEYOND BELIEF stunningly designed Apple computer to celebrate their 25th anniversary...I'd easily go into debt for that!)

vniow
May 14, 2003, 01:05 PM
All I want (hardware wise) is a small expandable desktop akin to a Shuttle barebones system.

Those things are what the Cube should have been, small, stylish, expandable and affordable!!

Chilton
May 14, 2003, 01:21 PM
TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET.

I gotz mad loot I'll drop on a tablet. Only if Apple made it though. Apple is the only company in the WORLD that has people screaming for them to make a product (and they don't).

If there were a Mac clone maker (there ain't) and they made a tablet (ditto), I'd buy that. Whoever had the best one. I just can't spend my hard-thieved money on a PC tablet.

-Chilton

mnkeybsness
May 14, 2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Chilton

If there were a Mac clone maker (there ain't) and they made a tablet (ditto), I'd buy that. Whoever had the best one. I just can't spend my hard-thieved money on a PC tablet.

there IS a mac clone maker...

happyware computing (http://www.2khappyware.com/)

markjones05
May 14, 2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by MorganX

iPod cell phone.

I dont know about an iPod cell phone but my friend and I were actually just discussing how Apple should make a cellphone. Like iCell or something.

pgwalsh
May 14, 2003, 02:42 PM
I'd like to see Apple reopen the clone market. I'd also like to see an x86 version of OS X be released.

Kethoticus
May 15, 2003, 02:07 AM
Yeah, that 20th Anniversary Mac was very hot for the time. What I had in mind was something like that. But I guess I'm thinking even more modernized than that now. There are some amazing built-it-yourself cases out there for the PC world (Fry's sells them) and they blow away, in my opinion, what Apple's pushing out now in its desktop line.

Something slim would be nice, too, something with a smaller footprint but still be a workstation-class machine. Brushed champagne-silver would be nice, with a small Apple logo embossed in front, maybe even a thin illuminated green outline around the logo when it's power up. Keyboard should be the same material, only with illuminated, translucent keys. Also, it should provide a similar opening method that exists now in the G3/G4 line, with the side panel easily opening up and revealing the Mac's internal organs.

melchior
May 15, 2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by markjones05
I dont know about an iPod cell phone but my friend and I were actually just discussing how Apple should make a cellphone. Like iCell or something.

"iCell" *shudder*

in the real world :D we call them Mobile Phones and there are some dinky people calling them Handy Phones :rolleyes:

iMobile? iHandy? cool! it's a handy-man, a phone and an iPod!

Wyrm
May 15, 2003, 08:03 AM
What I'd like to see?

A Rugged Portable Mac:
Rubberized corners, thicker but still light - and a keyboard you can smash your fist down on without all the keys flying off in a re-enactment of dirt after a meteor strike. This would be something you could toss across the room, have bounce off the wall, and still be downloading a Quicktime movie over WiFi.
Grrrr, a RUGGED MAC!

-Wyrm

tazo
May 15, 2003, 08:29 AM
lol you could call it iPissed :)

markjones05
May 15, 2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by melchior
"iCell" *shudder*

in the real world :D we call them Mobile Phones and there are some dinky people calling them Handy Phones :rolleyes:

iMobile? iHandy? cool! it's a handy-man, a phone and an iPod!

I'm not entirely sure what you are saying here.:confused: All I was saying is that I would buy a cell phone from Apple if they made one with the same innovative style as their computers.

matthew24
May 15, 2003, 12:05 PM
I want to use my 17Inch Apple LCD display for watching TV. (Digital Hub, remember!) So: Video In.

XnavxeMiyyep
May 15, 2003, 04:08 PM
They should make a 30th Anniversary Mac in 2007 with the same type of look as the 20th Anniversary Mac.

syco
May 15, 2003, 04:38 PM
I want to see them buy one of the Mac games companies. Then, I want them to pay madd bling to get simultaneous releases on big-name games.

I want to see video In for my beautiful 20" Cinema Display.

I want a lot of things, but Apple ain't releasing them.

BTW, yzedf, dont get your hopes up for that iBook. FW800, AE, and BT are all features of the 12" AlBook. Apple wants to sell those, so it needs some exclusive features for the higher price point.

Rower_CPU
May 15, 2003, 04:55 PM
I'm always curious when people start complaining about the current PowerMac form factor. From a technician's standpoint, I've never worked inside an easier case. Of course there are things that could be done to improve the internal layout (it's getting more cramped in there lately).

So what specifically would you do to make the case better than the current one?

iJon
May 15, 2003, 05:34 PM
SATA, throw some damn speakers with those powermacs, more usb ports on desktops, front usb and firewire ports on cases, bluetooth keyboards and mice, with their new ichat that is suppose to come out i think it would be awesome to have a mini video camera like where the apple is on the cinema display(dont need it, just think it would be cool) on board 5.1 surround sound with a new dvd player software. possibly a 3rd bay, they actually come in handy once you slap some in there. i would like the eject button to work for third party installed cd roms, its quite annoying to go the menu bar. if i had to pick anything it would be front usb and firewire ports, as well as more usb ports on the back of the computer. although this isnt hardware apple needs to get serious about games.

iJon

syco
May 15, 2003, 07:02 PM
On a non-related note (since you poppped the question into my head, iJon), how does the eject key work on multiple optical drive bays?

markjones05
May 15, 2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by syco
On a non-related note (since you poppped the question into my head, iJon), how does the eject key work on multiple optical drive bays?

Good question. I'm interested to know also.

Originally posted by iJon
apple needs to get serious about games.

True story. They would attract a huge percentage of the market if they got serious with games.

jayb2000
May 15, 2003, 07:41 PM
Don't get me wrong, I want the 970 and maybe 2ghz G3 iBooks, but I think those updates are pretty much expected.

I want to see a good Word Processor that integrates with the iApps and Keynote.

I want more good games (I hear Sega is for sale).

I would like FW or USB Airport Extreme card so older Macs can use it.

iTMS to use 192 AAC instead of 128.
I have not bought anything yet, mosly because the reviews I have heard are mixed. I would rather buy the CD and rip it so I get the better sound and still have a hard copy.

Improved iChat - animated icons, notice when someone leaves a chat, and the ability to choose instant message instead of chat as the default behavior.

Free 1yr subsctiption to .mac when you buy any new computer from Apple.

Just a few thoughts...

iJon
May 15, 2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by markjones05
Good question. I'm interested to know also.

True story. They would attract a huge percentage of the market if they got serious with games.
there is a eject button the the menu bar. you click it and it will let you open the cd-rw. its very annoying. thats why i like my windows machine, i can just click the button and it comes out, nice and simple.

iJon

Wardofsky
May 15, 2003, 08:57 PM
Generally we were unable to predict what Apple released except for a few major things (Music etc.)

I mean the iMac was a complete suprise apart from Time Canada releasing it early.

iPod, no one saw the 1st or 2nd Generation coming.

djtet
May 16, 2003, 07:57 AM
hardware...
i think it would be a smart move for apple to release a low end mini-tower... something for under $1000, no monitor, some room for upgrade options (doesn't need as much expandability as the powermacs). maybe have a lineup of ibooks and powerbooks...then imacs, itower , and powermacs... if this was to happen, it would be nice to see some sort of apple-made monitor for under $699...

marketing...
i think it's extremely important for apple to advertise, advertise and advertise. from what i have seen, the apple music service (itunes, music store, ipod) has pushed apple towards the limelight. SJ and Sheryl Crow was on the cover of Forbes, articles are being written in major publications, tv stations such as techtv are talking about it. While this is great for apple, they need the same kind of "WOW" for their hardware as well. it worked for a bit with the FP imac, and we also see it somewhat with the 17" powerbook. However, I think they need to put out more commercials and such for everything including their hardware. if/when these new 970 powermacs come out (especially if it's a new look - design) then they need to show everyone this product. Not just all of us Mac enthusiasts, but to all computer users. Just curious...I know that I don't see much of apple advertised here in charleston, sc, but what about the major markets, ny, cali??? Anyone have any similar/different experiences with apple and advertising???

mangoman
May 16, 2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by voicegy
Hey buddy, no flamin' from THIS MacRumors member...that's exactly what I'd like to see as well, and I'm also quite aware of it not going to happen.:(

*sigh* I'd like to see it too.

Song comes to mind... "Dreamer" by Supertramp...

jacobj
May 16, 2003, 08:28 AM
It has to be the all in one protable beast. I'm not talking about an application heavy computer, laptops are still best for that and you'd be hard pushed to convince me otherwise, but Apple is all about digital integration and mobility so we need to see a portable device that:

1) Plays all my AAC files
2) Allows me to connect to my digital camera and down load files.
3) Let's me store movies on it so that I can take with me when I travel and attach to a TV to show firends.
4) Even better is for it to have a built in 3.2+ mp camera
5) built in Bluetooth so that I can send pictures from anywhere I want
6) has a great little screen (in the future it could have an expandable screen - we're talking 3 or 4 years here).
7) built in PDA
8) built in FM & TV Tuner
8) and of course it needs to connect to Bluetooth headphones.