Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
I'm interested in knowing what people are using to compress their dvd's to put them into itunes for use on ipods and apple tv. Handbrake doesn't seem to create files the right size. I also have visual hub, but it doesn't seem to be compressing the videos in the same way as apple does through their store. Let me know!

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I'm interested in knowing what people are using to compress their dvd's to put them into itunes for use on ipods and apple tv. Handbrake doesn't seem to create files the right size. I also have visual hub, but it doesn't seem to be compressing the videos in the same way as apple does through their store. Let me know!

Handbrake. Make it MPEG-4, and set the bitrate to 2000 or lower.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
How about visualhub? Also if you are going from a dvd it would be worthless to do 720p wouldn't it? since dvd's are at 480. I have been doing h.264, AAC, 640xwhatever and the files come out between 1-2GB a piece. I think this might be the sweet spot for now, what do you think?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You won't get 720p through Handbrake though.

You won't get 720p from a DVD either....

Personally I'm waiting for QT8/iTunes 7.1 whatever it is that's supposed to ship with Leopard and/or aTV since it';ll supposedly support subtitles and I'm hootked on closed captions and it'll probably have an "Export to aTV" setting...

B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
You won't get 720p from a DVD either....

Personally I'm waiting for QT8/iTunes 7.1 whatever it is that's supposed to ship with Leopard and/or aTV since it';ll supposedly support subtitles and I'm hootked on closed captions and it'll probably have an "Export to aTV" setting...

B

Thats a good idea to wait. I am up in the air a bit because i have a crap load of stuff to convert and I would like to have it ready by the time apple tv/leopard comes out. Where did you hear the rumblings about QT8 from?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Thats a good idea to wait. I am up in the air a bit because i have a crap load of stuff to convert and I would like to have it ready by the time apple tv/leopard comes out. Where did you hear the rumblings about QT8 from?

The Leopard preview.

B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
What part of the preview? I hadn't noticed anything about quicktime or itunes. I was kinda thinking last night, itunes isn't really itunes anymore. It's more like imedia, music is only one aspect of itunes anymore. I wonder if they will be changing the name, or if they have too much invested in it already?

everhage

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2007
Maybe I'm a noob, but I use Roxio Popcorn and set the output to 'high quality tv'. I get a perfect 640x480 mp4 movie. That's probably not equal to 480p, but hell I haven't got a HDtv, and won't have one in the near furture while I just spend part of my savings on an AppleTV.

Second, Popcorn can also export to H264 at the same settings. Output file size seems to be equal. What's the best output format for tv viewing?

drew336

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2005
Does AppleTV only support certain resolutions? I've been ripping them at the default resolution in HandBrake, is this going to work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.