Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
my concern is that the the klipsch's are analog only, and the macbook only has line output. would the logitech 5500 with optical be the better way to go?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
my concern is that the the klipsch's are analog only, and the macbook only has line output. would the logitech 5500 with optical be the better way to go?

The MacBook has analogue and digital out. The speakers will work just fine.

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
yes, the macbook has analog out, but that is mini-jack stereo. i'm under the impression that only an optical line will allow me to get 5.1 surround, short of something like a firewire converter. is this correct? i don't want to be feeding my speaker sytem through a receiver box, so if i can't just plug the klipsch in directly and get 5.1, i'll go with the logitech.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
You didn't say you had analogue surround speakers. :p No, you're going to need to get an external sound box to get more than stereo out of the MacBook over analogue, since it doesn't have the physical outputs required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.