Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Can anyone help figure out what's going wrong with my friends powerbook. It's a 12" and about 3 years old running latest OS.

The keyboard cuts out intermittently every 30-15 mins and won't responded and the trackpad will only produce a right click functionality. This can be got around by a restart, but the problem will start again.

Also in sleep mode (lid down) the mac will wake with the CD drive spinning (with no CD inserted).

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Don't know if you've tried it yet, but try resetting the PMU (Hold down Apple and Option and P and R once you turn the computer on)

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Thanks for the reply. Yeah he's going to do this tonight. I said told him to do it for 3 chimes. Not sure if this will solve it, but worth a try. I'm afraid it may be a hardware problem – maybe the logicboard? or maybe its just some dirt inside the mac or a loose wire.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
No problem, I'm surprised you didn't get a quicker reply.

If the PMU reset doesn't work, possibly try repairing permissions and verifying the disk in Disk Utility, although I doubt this will do anything.

If those 2 don't work, it's likely there is a hardware problem, and I would run the apple hardware test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.