PDA

View Full Version : Safari 1.0 Beta 2 (v74) update

j33pd0g
May 15, 2003, 03:41 PM
In your Software Update: Safari 1.0 Beta 2 (v74)

This update is recommended for all Safari users and improves how Safari validates the authenticity of websites that use SSL certificates.

Now to check to see if my web banking works now.

wsteineker
May 15, 2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by j33pd0g

This update is recommended for all Safari users and improves how Safari validates the authenticity of websites that use SSL certificates.

Mine does. Already checked, and things are MUCH smoother. :)

mrjamin
May 15, 2003, 04:11 PM
new safari in SU

MacFan25
May 15, 2003, 04:14 PM
hmm...i wasnt really expecting this. its still a beta.

pivo6
May 15, 2003, 04:18 PM
I just saw it at VersionTracker and I see that someone has already mentioned it. I'm downloading now (dial up). I have no idea what this version is supposed to do.

pivo6
May 15, 2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by j33pd0g

Web banking for me started with Beta 2. I've had noreal problems with previous versions and I don't expect any.

Freg3000
May 15, 2003, 05:09 PM
Updating now....I hope it's faster. :)

evilfunkgenius
May 15, 2003, 05:15 PM
In the immortal words of Flava Flav:

"Yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhh, booooooyyeeeeeee"

TMA
May 15, 2003, 05:24 PM
Nothing in my Software Update :( I hope this isn't another "US First" release. Getting kinda tired of Apple neglecting 50% of their users. But that's a whole other topic and I don't want to be a troll :cool: . Looking forward to trying it!

Knox
May 15, 2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by pivo6
I just saw it at VersionTracker and I see that someone has already mentioned it. I'm downloading now (dial up). I have no idea what this version is supposed to do.

I guess they've changed more than just this, but i would suspect the main (only?) reason they've made this update public is due to a vulnerability with SSL certificates that was posted on the Full Disclosure list.

http://lists.netsys.com/pipermail/full-disclosure/2003-May/009661.html

beez7777
May 15, 2003, 05:28 PM
i don't notice a difference, except that i cant remove the brushed metal surface like i could with the previous versions. i dotn really like the brushed metal w/ safari.

Rocketman
May 15, 2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by TMA
Nothing in my Software Update :( I hope this isn't another "US First" release. Getting kinda tired of Apple neglecting 50% of their users. But that's a whole other topic and I don't want to be a troll :cool: . Looking forward to trying it!

and

"A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard."

U.S. First is a common marketing strategy in the US as a meand to conserve capital by doing the "main" version first get it working and five time for bugs to be reported (or for movie discribution costs to be recouped) then release a far more bug free international version since the warranty costs are much higher.

I sympathize with you but take Apple's side on this one. I will admit "warranty costs" might be lower with all server based distribution but am not sure about that.

Rocketman

Heavy European Customers

http://www.v-serv.com/-upload/avatar.jpg

zigi
May 15, 2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by TMA

I D/L'd it about 20 mins ago via Software Update, and I'm in the UK at the moment.

MacBandit
May 15, 2003, 05:32 PM
I'm so sick of Safari updates not showing up in Software Update for me. Am I the only one? I have never ever seen Safari show up there and this time is no exception. Guess I go to Apple and download it. Bastards.

Duff-Man
May 15, 2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by TMA
Nothing in my Software Update Duff-man says.....I bet you moved it out of the Applications folder didn't you....if you put it back in there and try S.U. again you'll probably see it.....oh yeah!

TMA
May 15, 2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by zigi
I D/L'd it about 20 mins ago via Software Update, and I'm in the UK at the moment.

Must just be something fishy on my mac. Maybe it needs a good scrubbing and hoovering of moth balls ;)

On the issue of 'US First' marketing strategy - I can agree with what folks say, but I personally believe Apple have not found a good balance between costs and risk of alienating users. I think Apple should be prepared to spend more cash and even time delivering products Internationally.

jch200
May 15, 2003, 05:41 PM
I downloaded it with no problem from the software update.

MacBandit
May 15, 2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Duff-Man
Duff-man says.....I bet you moved it out of the Applications folder didn't you....if you put it back in there and try S.U. again you'll probably see it.....oh yeah!

Yeah, I did. I don't usually move Apple apps from where they are installed for this very reason but when you install Safari it just opens up a disk image and has you copy it to your hard drive. So I assumed there wasn't a default folder on the drive for it. I mean if there was wouldn't Apple create an installer instead. Oh, well. I downloaded it from Apple and isntalled it.

XnavxeMiyyep
May 15, 2003, 05:45 PM
The only thing I don't like about Safari updates is that I have to remove brushed metal every time.
Originally posted by beez7777
i don't notice a difference, except that i cant remove the brushed metal surface like i could with the previous versions. i dotn really like the brushed metal w/ safari.
Yeah you can. I just did. All you have to do is go to Safari:Contents:Resources:English.lproj:Broswer.nib and then click on the window icon in the Browser.nib window. Then use Command+shift+I and uncheck textured window.

Fredo Viola
May 15, 2003, 05:45 PM
I'm in the US and don't see it in software update either. Anyone have a link?

Windowlicker
May 15, 2003, 05:46 PM
Are you guys sure you have the safari.app in your applications folder?? don't think software update will recognise it if it's not there..

also to add to the US-first topic: seems like the SU works very well in Finland too.... and it's not a state of the states..;)

oh and check www.versiontracker.com (http://www.versiontracker.com/) for updates..

TMA
May 15, 2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Fredo Viola
I'm in the US and don't see it in software update either. Anyone have a link?

If you navigate Apple's site you can download it like you could with the first release. Versiontracker also link to Apple's site

beelzeben
May 15, 2003, 06:03 PM
The download on the Apple Safari (http://www.apple.com/safari/download/) site is actually the correct one, even though they don't explicitly state it.

whfsdude
May 15, 2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by TMA

Don't complain :-) Give apple some time :)

jadariv
May 15, 2003, 06:18 PM
Woo-Hoo, my banking finally works. Time to dump Internet Explorer in the pooper.

bdkennedy1
May 15, 2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by TMA
Nothing in my Software Update :( I hope this isn't another "US First" release. Getting kinda tired of Apple neglecting 50% of their users.

This is common practice in almost any country. Japan consistently releases products to its own country first and the rest of the world a year later. This happened with the Sony Playstation.

zedwards
May 15, 2003, 06:51 PM
:o I am so sick of hearing people whine on this forum. I was hoping to get some solid info on this update, but most threads are saying a lot of bs. It really is tiresome and for the most part unfounded as most of what is complained about are rumors/hunches/lies. I especially am annoyed by the euro-whine. Fact: Apple is based in California, which happens to be a part of the US. Fact: Safari has always been and will always be for EVERYBODY, even euro-whiners. Just because Apple reslease iTMS for US only does not mean that they release software for ONLY US.

totally_fly
May 15, 2003, 07:01 PM
Sure, US Only is annoying for us international people, but what's more annoying is how fu**ing much Apple marks up their prices for international users. I would save 600$ Can buying a powermac in the US. The reason is that Apple hasn't recognized the fluctuations in the value of the Canadian dollar.. it was .63 last year, its now .71 Big difference, and we get jipped cuz of it! That's what annoys me, not US Only (temporary) releases of things like Music Store, iPhoto features and Safari updates.

Apple needs to fix international pricing, now. Their products cost way too much outside the US.

TMA
May 15, 2003, 07:16 PM
Hey chill people,

I already said it looks like some fault on my system that caused Safari not to show up in Software Update (I don't keep Safari in the Applications folder) not a 'US-First' issue. Sorry I jumped the gun a little bit.

The way Apple treats non-US customers is another subject. So lets leave it at that.

reedm007
May 15, 2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by XnavxeMiyyep
The only thing I don't like about Safari updates is that I have to remove brushed metal every time.

Yeah you can. I just did. All you have to do is go to Safari:Contents:Resources:English.lproj:Broswer.nib and then click on the window icon in the Browser.nib window. Then use Command+shift+I and uncheck textured window.

Okay, so I just followed your advice, since I often don't like the pervasive metal interface either. But folks, Safari looks like crap with the standard aqua-stripes.

If it were designed for this look, I'm sure it would have looked better, but Apple clearly designed Safari for metal, and it looks so much better with it!

macdong
May 15, 2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by reedm007
Okay, so I just followed your advice, since I often don't like the pervasive metal interface either. But folks, Safari looks like crap with the standard aqua-stripes.

If it were designed for this look, I'm sure it would have looked better, but Apple clearly designed Safari for metal, and it looks so much better with it!

That's right.
Those toolbar buttons just don't fit.
Looks ugly.

melchior
May 15, 2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by reedm007

welcome to the world of theming! (http://homepage.mac.com/max_08/) soothe your tired eyes! milk is my personal choice. aqua sucks and so does brushed metal!

Wonder Boy
May 15, 2003, 08:13 PM
i downloaded it, but i wish i didn't. anytime i update ANYTHING i have problems. and yes i repair permissions everytime. stupid apple, its like they want me to fail.

shakespeare
May 15, 2003, 08:51 PM
Duff-man says.....I bet you moved it out of the Applications folder didn't you....if you put it back in there and try S.U. again you'll probably see it.....oh yeah!

Hahahahahahahaha!

Not to change the subject or anything, but does anyone else think it's fabulous that this guy's calling himself Duff-Man and acting like him? That totally made my day. Keep posting, Duff-Man!

Okay, back on track: like with everyone else, this new Safari works just fine for me.

sandro
May 15, 2003, 08:53 PM

Hi, not sure what I'm doing wrong, it doesn't work for me, I get all the way to the "Browser.nib" but its just a folder with 3 files in it, I've tried to click on the window's icon and everytime I do Command+shift+I, all I get is a prompt to connect to iDisk, when I don't have.
Anyone?

maxtrax
May 15, 2003, 09:18 PM
Charter One online banking hangs all the time, even with this new version... it barely works, so annoying!! I just wish they could fix it.....

BaghdadBob
May 15, 2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by shakespeare
Hahahahahahahaha!

Not to change the subject or anything, but does anyone else think it's fabulous that this guy's calling himself Duff-Man and acting like him? That totally made my day. Keep posting, Duff-Man!

Okay, back on track: like with everyone else, this new Safari works just fine for me.

If you only would add "eth" to the occasional word you could be IC too...or my armies will crush you! In fact, they already have! Believe it!

Anyway, I have my whole applications folder subdivided. There is (normally) not one application which sits in the root application folder...nonetheless all my apps are in there. SU does not work on almost anything there. Annoying. What happened to Apple's superior file-tracking? I mean, apparently the OS even keeps track of what apps you have installed on your computer, which you can find in the system info, so why doesn't it know where they are?

Or does it "know" what apps you have installed based on what's in its library?

Does anyone else have issue with the Windowfication of this bit? It's likely I'm just not informed enough on how Jaguar interfaces with applications to complain.

"Kerplunketh!" :D

dmealiffe
May 15, 2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by shakespeare

Not to change the subject or anything, but does anyone else think it's fabulous that this guy's calling himself Duff-Man and acting like him?
Totally! :D I'm laughing my ass off here!

macdong
May 15, 2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
i downloaded it, but i wish i didn't. anytime i update ANYTHING i have problems. and yes i repair permissions everytime. stupid apple, its like they want me to fail.

Hmm, how come i have exactly the opposite experience as yours?
Everytime I update anything, my life gets a bit better :D
But anyway, address your troubles a bit clearer? :)

edited for my spelling...

Captincork
May 15, 2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by totally_fly
Sure, US Only is annoying for us international people, but what's more annoying is how fu**ing much Apple marks up their prices for international users. I would save 600$ Can buying a powermac in the US. The reason is that Apple hasn't recognized the fluctuations in the value of the Canadian dollar.. it was .63 last year, its now .71 Big difference, and we get jipped cuz of it! That's what annoys me, not US Only (temporary) releases of things like Music Store, iPhoto features and Safari updates.

Apple needs to fix international pricing, now. Their products cost way too much outside the US.

If i am not mistaken, which i very well could be but don't you have to pay a duty on thinks that are imported into your country and that is why it is more expensive, and it is trade laws and not apple making the computers more expensive, i could very easily be wrong, but i thought i remembered learning about that is some class that i took.

XnavxeMiyyep
May 15, 2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by melchior
welcome to the world of theming! (http://homepage.mac.com/max_08/) soothe your tired eyes! milk is my personal choice. aqua sucks and so does brushed metal!
I theme also(haven't used aqua for about half a year), so I don't know what Safari looks like with Aqua.

xjohn
May 15, 2003, 10:50 PM
It looks like this was a simple security fix. I doesn't look like they included much else besides the SSL stuff.

For example, Dave Hyatt said (http://www.mozillazine.org/weblogs/hyatt/archives/2003_04.html#003109) in his weblog a while back that he had gotten articles at the International Herald Tribune (http://www.iht.com/) website to display correctly, but they still don't. So I guess they didn't update the WebCore. Too bad.

Safari's still great, though!

totally_fly
May 15, 2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Captincork
If i am not mistaken, which i very well could be but don't you have to pay a duty on thinks that are imported into your country and that is why it is more expensive, and it is trade laws and not apple making the computers more expensive, i could very easily be wrong, but i thought i remembered learning about that is some class that i took.

You are not entirely incorrect. There is duty. 600$ worth? No. But that is just in Canada. Is there really 1000$ US cost in shipping and duty to Australia? They have International prices all wrong. But, just to give you some examples, I'm gonna do some number crunching.

PowerMac G4 "Ultimate" $5,979.00 Can
PowerMac G4 "Ultimate" $3,799.00 US

Now, I'm going to convert the US number to a Can value using today's official exchange rate.

According to www.bankofcanada.ca
5,227.80_Canadian dollars = $3,799.00 US

ok, let's do some complicated math

5979.00 - 5227.80 = $751.20 Can

Duty? Transportation?

That's a bit steep dont you think... you could buy yourself an iPod with that money.

Duff-Man
May 15, 2003, 11:51 PM
PowerMac G4 "Ultimate" $5,979.00 Can
PowerMac G4 "Ultimate" $3,799.00 US

Now, I'm going to convert the US number to a Can value using today's official exchange rate.

According to www.bankofcanada.ca
5,227.80_Canadian dollars = $3,799.00 US

ok, let's do some complicated math

5979.00 - 5227.80 = $751.20 Can

That's a bit steep dont you think... you could buy yourself an iPod with that money. Duff-man says....yeah....Apple Canada needs to adjust their prices with the recent rise in the Canadian dollar...the prices up here are way out of whack at the moment. But I remember when I bought my original iPod - it worked out that it was *cheaper* here in Canada than in the USA because Apple Canada had not yet adjusted their prices when the Cdn dollar lost value....see...works both ways sometimes.......oh yeah!

nickgold
May 16, 2003, 12:14 AM
Frightening how Duff-Man is more knowledgeable and eloquent than the vast majority of this board's users.... Oh well.

And as for all the whiny non-US-citizens, shaddup already -- When I buy anime or Japanese consumer electronics in the USA it's WAAAAY more expensive than for a native of Japan. If I am in France, Brie and French wine are WAAAAAAY cheaper than they are here in the US. If I go to Russia, cavier is dirt cheap, and so is Russian military surplus gear! Etc. etc. et-freakin'-cetera -- get over it already, until we live in the one-world New World Order (decade or so away tops, methinks) it inherently makes sense for there to be markup on imported goods. Is it fair? Who the heck cares, this is capitalism at it's finest (worst?) and if you are willing to pay for it and a company makes a profit, the system is working (to the degree it can be considered to "work").

So SHUT UP ALREADY about how Apple is fleecing the poor foreign-folk, wah wah, they live far away from the US and gosh darn it, life just isn't fair, waaaaah.

BaghdadBob
May 16, 2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by nickgold
Save it for the political threads, cowboy.

[My thoughts exactly. Follow your own advice, please.]

Wonder Boy
May 16, 2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by macdong
Hmm, how come i have exactly the opposite experience as yours?
Everytime I update anything, my life gets a bit better :D
But anyway, address your troubles a bit clearer? :)
edited for my spelling...

After 10.2.6 update- my mouse doesnt respond right away after start up. I have to unplug, then plug it back in

imovie 3 constantly quits just by clicking

safari seems slower

an all around sluggish system after i update ANYTHING.

plus more, but i cant think of them

mara
May 16, 2003, 01:25 AM
This is wrong thread for this - I know.

But Id like to point out that here in Europe there is no logic in pricing. For example

iMac 15" Combo sells for 1,299 dollars
and in Europe EXCLUDING taxes (VAT)
iMac 15" Combo is 1.299 euros

This is ok because that means 1 dollar = 1 euro.

However, iBook 12,1" is 999 dollars, BUT in Europe it is 1.099 euros. And I have to pay 22% VAT for my purchase... In USA tax is below 10 % in most states. But that is because of governments, services etc. of course.

Apple is an international company. But it is good to remember that Apple computers have been made in Cork, Ireland...

Safari is getting better, but I still prefer Camino. At least my banking is finally working with Safari too...

Charliel7
May 16, 2003, 01:43 AM
Anyone have any luck using Safari with Citibank on-line banking?
Even with the new upgrade, it still doesn't work for me, unless I emulate IE, and even then it's funky.

BaghdadBob
May 16, 2003, 02:00 AM
Pardon me Rower, there's just so much of that kind of commentary one has to wade through and it goes completely unnnoticed sometimes. I will try to contain myself in the future...you guys don't include a "report to moderator" button for nothing, do you? :)

Anyway, on topic, with the new Safari I set up a Verizon account (and I never thought I'd put the words "I set up a Verizon account" together in a sentance like that) which apparently means GTE, for my upcoming address, and there were a lot of problems with the long, slow, setup process. I would test it with IE to see if it was a Safari problem (it was all secure) but its kinda a one-time thing.

There are still some java problems though, that I know...I had to take screenshots of some of the pop-up windows describing services because the text would disappear in half a second. Fuuuuun...

Hopefully the real 1.0 will eliminate most of the current compatibility issues.

BaghdadBob
May 16, 2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Charliel7
Anyone have any luck using Safari with Citibank on-line banking?
Even with the new upgrade, it still doesn't work for me, unless I emulate IE, and even then it's funky.
Ummmm...are you using MS IE for OS X or are you emulating it through VirtualPC?

Maybe I just misunderstand what you mean by "emulate".

edesignuk
May 16, 2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by BaghdadBob
Ummmm...are you using MS IE for OS X or are you emulating it through VirtualPC?

Maybe I just misunderstand what you mean by "emulate".
I think he means he changed the user agent string via the debug menu.

voicegy
May 16, 2003, 02:29 AM
Duff-man says [fill in the blank]......oh yeah!

Great way to debut, Duff-Man! Catchy handle, and for a newbie you've already made quite a splash! My only complaint...I can't help hearing the Duff-Man voice when I read your posts...I'm reading them as if they are scripts that I have to read for a commercial spot...in Duff-Man's voice...that's driving me nuts! But keep it up.:D

Downloaded Safari via Software Update. Flawless installation. Then...I went to test my pet peeve.

My school district's IT department, where I work at, is toying with Outlook. I'm part of the pilot of this changeover...playing the part of an end user. I would never be able to get into the Outlook web access portion of Exchange server with Safari, because the "Domain" field was missing...in Internet Explorer, it shows up. (see attached) If you just go ahead and enter the name and password, Safari went into an endless loop, and had to be force quit, much to the delight and snickering of my mostly PeeCee Winblows co-workers.

Well, I started up this latest beta of Safari, and when the name and password field came up, the Domain field was STILL missing. Fearing the worst, I just went ahead and entered name and password and....it worked. Friggin' awesome! Guess what's on my agenda for work tomorrow! Watch out, co-workers...:D

groovebuster
May 16, 2003, 03:22 AM

Well, here in Germany for example we have a very "funny" situation... The was around 0.85US$ last year. Already at that time the Apple products were way overpriced (about 15% without sales tax). Now the is about 1.15US$. That means theoretically Apple products should be 25% cheaper by now.

I tell you a secret... they are not. It's the opposite. They cut dealer margins and the prices even went up!

At the moment Apple is ripping off their european customers more than ever and I know a lot of people (including myself) who are VERY pissed about that. Ask yourself why international sales were stronger in the last quarterly results. It is simply because the US$ was losing a lot of ground against the other currencies. Actually Apple was further losing market share and sales were stagnant.

Apple is screwing us to avoid red ink on their balance sheet. Don't forget that 50% of Apple customers are not located in the USA. So let's assume we just subtract a quarter of their income! Ooops... Apple is making losses then.

But I can assure you that one day this policy of number magic for the stock holders will backfire. Nobody I know wants to spend a cent on a new mac at the moment as long as the prices are not adjusted properly to the exchange course.

Steve we don't deserve a treatment like this. We are the reason that Apple is still alive so stop that ignorance!

groovebuster

ssamani
May 16, 2003, 04:29 AM

I agree, the same thing happens in the UK on pre-tax prices. Other companies seem to do it as well (Norton, Macromedia, mem makers, etc.) but somehow Dell does not. :mad: I'm lucky that I've got family in the US and I just get them to order it for me. Unfortunately asking some other visiting relative to bring back some software or mem is OK, but I can't really ask them to bring back a PowerMac and 23" Cineman Display ;)

visor
May 16, 2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by zedwards
:o Fact: Apple is based in California, which happens to be a part of the US. Fact: Safari has always been and will always be for EVERYBODY, even euro-whiners. Just because Apple reslease iTMS for US only does not mean that they release software for ONLY US.

Fact: Euro Customers pay about 20% more for the same product as US customers.
Want a 17" PB and live in the EU? Go, fly to New York, buy it, fly back, save 200 bucks even after you payed 400euro for the flight.
Go and figure that one out.

visor
May 16, 2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by mara
This is wrong thread for this - I know.

But Id like to point out that here in Europe there is no logic in pricing. For example..[..]

Apple is an international company. But it is good to remember that Apple computers have been made in Cork, Ireland...

Really Cork? I know that all my order aknowledgements come from Cork, but the products I've been getting are all straight out of taiwan.
Thats all especially cool as it takes at least a week until they get here. Just as the IPod I've ordered an apr.28th. It was shipped yesterday in Taiwan, I expect it to arrive here by the end of next or the beginning of the following week.

So that will be again good for my statistics that say: Order at the Apple store, and receive your product after 3weeks if everything works out great, or wait even longer if something goes wrong.

mads
May 16, 2003, 07:50 AM
My banking has never worked, and will probably never work.

I use Skandiabanken in Norway, and the only supported browser for mac is Netscape 4.7 in classic. Any other Norwegians here with the same problems?

polyesterlester
May 16, 2003, 08:01 AM
I don't know if this was actually a fix or not, or if my computer just f'ed up earlier... but I noticed in v73, some sites links and headers looked really screwy:

Here's a couple screenshots:
http://www.premiumpolar.com/awln1.gif
http://www.premiumpolar.com/awln2.gif

This was fixed when I updated to v74. Although I haven't heard of these problems with v73 before, so my computer might have just been messing with me.

primalman
May 16, 2003, 08:17 AM
While in the new updated Safari, I lost my sticky menus....just in Safari, not in the Finder or any other app...anyone else have this?

:(

JJTiger1
May 16, 2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by zedwards
:o I am so sick of hearing people whine on this forum.

Would you like some cheese with that whine? :eek:

Le Big Mac
May 16, 2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by BaghdadBob
If you only would add "eth" to the occasional word you could be IC too...or my armies will crush you! In fact, they already have! Believe it!

Anyway, I have my whole applications folder subdivided. There is (normally) not one application which sits in the root application folder...nonetheless all my apps are in there. SU does not work on almost anything there. Annoying. What happened to Apple's superior file-tracking? I mean, apparently the OS even keeps track of what apps you have installed on your computer, which you can find in the system info, so why doesn't it know where they are?

Or does it "know" what apps you have installed based on what's in its library?

Does anyone else have issue with the Windowfication of this bit? It's likely I'm just not informed enough on how Jaguar interfaces with applications to complain.

"Kerplunketh!" :D

Yes. I have problems with it. Just apple's apps alone that come preinstalled (if you count all the utilities and what not) are a lot. I have them in subfolders (e.g., iApps), and I'm sure plenty of others do to. Why can't apple/OS X figure out that iTunes is in a subfolder within applications and recognize its existence?

Le Big Mac
May 16, 2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by groovebuster
Well, here in Germany for example we have a very "funny" situation... The was around 0.85US$ last year. Already at that time the Apple products were way overpriced (about 15% without sales tax). Now the is about 1.15US$. That means theoretically Apple products should be 25% cheaper by now.

Keep in mind that Apple, like any big company, hedges currency fluctuations. They've already sold the euros that they expect to take in in revenue, probably at last year's rates (or the year before). It hurts when the euro is going up, but it keeps you safe from price increases when the euro falls.

mara
May 16, 2003, 09:31 AM
You have to compare USA-prices with European-prices which do not include VAT. In Europe taxes are included in prices, but in the USA the prices are without tax so that means you pay more than you first think (from 7-13%).

=> the cost difference is not THAT big, but it is noticeable.

Charliel7
May 16, 2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by edesignuk
I think he means he changed the user agent string via the debug menu.

Yes, that's what I meant, thank you.

yzedf
May 16, 2003, 11:58 AM
There is a duty paid for any good entering any country. That means that the stuff shipped to the USA pays duties also. The US duty system is a very big beast, and there are ways of bringing things in duty free. In some countries, duty is paid based on a container, regardles of what is in it (Russia for one).

smirk
May 16, 2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by voicegy
I would never be able to get into the Outlook web access portion of Exchange server with Safari, because the "Domain" field was missing...in Internet Explorer, it shows up.

Voicegy, the way you use domains in Safari (or even in IE if it doesn't provide a domain field) is by putting "domain/username" in the username field.

So if your domain was "district" then you'd log in as "district/voicegy". If you're in Windows then you'd log in as "district\voicegy".

Hope that helps!

smirk

Grimace
May 16, 2003, 04:49 PM
Is anyone out there having problems with Hotmail?? I can't seem to have the "automatic login" work with Safari, but it does work with Camino, IE, and Netscape.

Over Achiever
May 16, 2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by voicegy
Great way to debut, Duff-Man! Catchy handle, and for a newbie you've already made quite a splash! My only complaint...I can't help hearing the Duff-Man voice when I read your posts...I'm reading them as if they are scripts that I have to read for a commercial spot...in Duff-Man's voice...that's driving me nuts! But keep it up.:D
Uhh, duff-man has been around for a while...:)

Anyway, this safari update looks good, still has some things that needs to be tweaked, but it's coming along.

voicegy
May 16, 2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by smirk
Voicegy, the way you use domains in Safari (or even in IE if it doesn't provide a domain field) is by putting "domain/username" in the username field.

Thanks, I did try that little trick a few weeks back, but to no avail. I should have mentioned it in my original post. However, all is well now anyway!

voicegy
May 16, 2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Over Achiever
Uhh, duff-man has been around for a while...:)

Oh! I saw he was a newbie with under 20 posts, and I've never seen him before until this thread. But I see he registered last December, so...Howdy, Old Timer!:p

BaghdadBob
May 16, 2003, 09:56 PM
OK, dangit, the battle.net website will not let me in with Safari now. Never had a problem before. What buttheads.

ShaolinMiddleFinger
May 16, 2003, 11:14 PM
I can finally send mail from Hotmail again! YES!

The Ancients
May 19, 2003, 03:30 AM

I'd be looking to see if there's a Safari.pkg file in ~/library/receipts. That's what Software Update does.

ouketii
Jun 1, 2003, 10:53 PM
ahh safari... too many bugs, not enough elephants