PDA

View Full Version : Can I use an FP Apple Studio Display on a PC?

Danger! Will
May 15, 2003, 04:37 PM
Is there a flat panel apple studio display that used standard VGA as the input? ie: like my pc to the apple studio display?

primalman
May 15, 2003, 04:47 PM
You can use an Apple LCD with any computer. You have to get an ADC to DVI adapter, Apple makes one, as well as D. Bott. They are about $100. Good luck.

Danger! Will
May 15, 2003, 04:53 PM
I'm not following you on that....I've got a standard vga out on my pc and want to hook it up to an Apple Studio Display FP so what goes in the middle? ADC? DVI?

primalman
May 15, 2003, 04:59 PM
Sorry...in addition to the ADC/DVI thing you need a VGA/DVI adapter. Sequence would be:

VGA > adapter to DVI > adapter to ADC

Your USB signal can plug into the ADC adapter as well, so you can use the USB hub in the display.

Check the Dr. Bott website. I would recommend that you have a video card that supports DVI for the best possible signal. Apple displays are designed to have an all digital signal, they work and look best that way.

Rower_CPU
May 15, 2003, 05:05 PM
You'll need a a converter such as this (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M8661LL/A) to change the ADC signal into DVI, and then a simple DVI to analog converter (unless someone has made an ADC-VGA adapter I haven't seen).

I wouldn't expect a perfect picture since you're converting the signal twice.

vniow
May 15, 2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
(unless someone has made an ADC-VGA adapter I haven't seen).

Shizzle! (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1301)

Rower_CPU
May 15, 2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by vniow
Shizzle! (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1301)

Nice...pricey, but nice!

iJon
May 15, 2003, 05:17 PM
well if i remember right the apple dvi/adc adapter and apples dvi/vga have male/female conflictions which wouldnt make it work that easily. you are probably gonna need a converbox which run about 300 dollars.

iJon

LimeLite
May 15, 2003, 05:45 PM
Apple FP displays are pretty pricey. In my opinion, they're worth it if you're buying it to compliment the rest of your system, becayse the whole apple package looks very nice together, but if you're getting it to use with a pc...there are numerous PC products that are far less expensive. (And you don't have to pay over $200 just to be able to use it with your computer.)

Also, just out of curiosity...if you look at the Apple displays, they have system requirements. (for example, the one of them won't work with any computer not using jaguar or higher.) Are you sure you can use them with PC's?

iJon
May 15, 2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by LimeLite
Apple FP displays are pretty pricey. In my opinion, they're worth it if you're buying it to compliment the rest of your system, becayse the whole apple package looks very nice together, but if you're getting it to use with a pc...there are numerous PC products that are far less expensive. (And you don't have to pay over $200 just to be able to use it with your computer.)

Also, just out of curiosity...if you look at the Apple displays, they have system requirements. (for example, the one of them won't work with any computer not using jaguar or higher.) Are you sure you can use them with PC's?
for the pc they are very worth it. monitor is a monitor, regardless what system it is on. looks great on the mac, looks great on a pc. yes it will work because ive used my 20 inch cinema display on my pc and it was great. my games had no lag what so ever. the only problem i found was that windows xp didnt reconize apples goofy widescreen rez. and do you honestly feel apple would tell you this works on windows, come on :).

iJon

menoinjun
May 15, 2003, 06:03 PM
You CANNOT use an Apple monitor on any solely-VGA equipped PC. The differences between analog and digital (vga/dvi) prohibits any sort of cheap adapter. There may be something out there that does the transition, but I'm sure it's a load of money.

You must have at lest DVI to run any Apple display. If you buy a video card with that then you need to purchace Apple's DVI-ADC adapter so that the monitor can be powered and carry USB.

The solution for you is to just buy a decent video card with DVI output which now can cost you as little as $75

<edit> The system requirements do not carry over to the PC side of the fence. I.e. The 20" required Jaguar, but it works just fine on a PC running windows. My recommendation is to buy a GeForce 4 Ti card that supports 1650X1280 so that you can get the native resolution of the LCD which makes for the best quality picture. Also, I have tested a 20" LCD on OS 9, and it worked just fine. Maybe it was because the machice also had Jaguar on it, but just didn't boot into it.</edit>

<edit2>You CAN cheaply convert digital to analog, but not vice versa like you are asking to do with your PC.<edit2>

Danger! Will
May 15, 2003, 06:49 PM
Lemme make this even harder than before. Is there a PCI Video Card with DVI out?

iJon
May 15, 2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Danger! Will
Lemme make this even harder than before. Is there a PCI Video Card with DVI out?
i dont want to sound mean but if your computer doesnt have agp its time for a serious upgrade.

iJon

Danger! Will
May 15, 2003, 06:56 PM
It's a brand new Dell...I'm switching to Apple piece by piece lol

iJon
May 15, 2003, 06:59 PM
ok, if its a brand new dell then why would you want a pci video card.

iJon

ibookin'
May 15, 2003, 07:01 PM

So why not use an AGP card. The PCI cards on the market are not nearly as good as the best AGP cards.

Danger! Will
May 15, 2003, 07:05 PM
Because the dell doesn't have an AGP slot...I'm not trying to complicate the process on purpose...and I did find a PCI card with Video out...ATI Radion 7500

iJon
May 15, 2003, 07:45 PM
a new dell with no agp, you got ripped off. how could you not have a computer with agp. oh well

iJon

Danger! Will
May 15, 2003, 08:28 PM
actually i've read that there really isn't a performance difference between agp and pci...at least that's what techtv said

iJon
May 15, 2003, 08:31 PM
actually i've read that there really isn't a performance difference between agp and pci...at least that's what techtv said
whoa, thats a good one. that was a good laugh, that is completly not true.

iJon

Danger! Will
May 15, 2003, 08:32 PM
I don't see what difference it'll will make if I have pci or agp...i don't do any gaming so WHO CARES?

iJon
May 15, 2003, 08:50 PM
I don't see what difference it'll will make if I have pci or agp...i don't do any gaming so WHO CARES?
calm down biggin, if your not gamin then just get that radeon, should be fine.

iJon

menoinjun
May 15, 2003, 10:54 PM
Because the dell doesn't have an AGP slot...I'm not trying to complicate the process on purpose...and I did find a PCI card with Video out...ATI Radion 7500

make sure you got that correctly...you don't need VIDEO out, you need DVI output for the Apple screens.

-Pete

tazo
May 15, 2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by iJon
i dont want to sound mean but if your computer doesnt have agp its time for a serious upgrade.

iJon
my pc is a 700 PIII and it does not have AGP either, you dont need to be mean to the guy. honestly. "your computer only has a 1ghz processor? man it is really time to upgrade"; how would you feel if a guy was like that to you regarding the mhz of apple's?

tazo
May 15, 2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by iJon
a new dell with no agp, you got ripped off. how could you not have a computer with agp. oh well

iJon

how can the latest from apple cost 3000+ and only be a dual 1.42? :D its best not to open your mouth when in the river of apple zealotland

vniow
May 16, 2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by ptrauber
you need DVI output for the Apple screens.

-Pete

No, you don't. (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1301)

iJon
May 16, 2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by tazo
how can the latest from apple cost 3000+ and only be a dual 1.42? :D its best not to open your mouth when in the river of apple zealotland
well i did open my mouth, and it was against a guy with a dell, not apple zealotland river or whatever. If someone told me about Mhz i know that they are ignorant and i will explain my point. on another point, we arent talking about speeds are we, we are talking about a port. i was just shocked to find out a brand new computer from the number 1 computer maker in the world didnt have agp. but he made his point clear that he doesnt play games so it really doesnt matter.

iJon

donigian
Jun 4, 2003, 08:22 PM

Yes, and I'm running one. Check on eBay for the PowerColor ATi Radeon 9000 64 MB PCI Edition. That's what I'm running; I picked it up for about $90. And iJon, take a chill pill knockin' on people's computers. I don't have an AGP slot and the integrated graphics weren't working for me so I got a PCI Radeon 9000. The 9000, when I got it, was a hell of a lot better than what most people were using in their systems. It is still better than the GeForce 2 graphics that ship with the iMacs/eMacs and is also better than the GeForce 4 that ships in the PowerMacs. It's kinda funny when the eMachine has better graphics than the PowerMac, but I digress.

Danger! Will, get on eBay get the PCI card you need and you'll be fine.

Also, instead of buying a $300 converter for VGA-ADC, just pick up the Apple DVI-ADC and a $10 VGA-DVI adapter from Googlegear.com.

donigian
Jun 4, 2003, 08:26 PM
Sorry for the double post, but...

Originally posted by ibookin'
So why not use an AGP card. The PCI cards on the market are not nearly as good as the best AGP cards.

Thanks for stating the obvious, no offense, but PCI cards are less than a hundred dollars for a reason. They aren't designed to compete against the Radeon 9800s and GeForce FX5900s of the world, they're designed to compete against Radeon 7500, 9000, and GeForce4 MXs. All Danger! Will needs the new card for is for DVI-Out, he doesn't want to become a world-class gamer (Correct me if I'm wrong).