PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X Leopard with Major DVD Player Upgrade?

MacRumors
Jan 18, 2007, 03:46 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Appleinsider posts (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2417) a description alongside artist renditions of upcoming changes to Leopard's DVD Player (5.0) software.

Improvements range from fullscreen chapter navigation with chapter thumbnails, a time bar for visual scrubbing, satin platinum highlights, equilizer and other preferences.

No word on any additional HD-DVD or Blu Ray support have been noted.

twoodcc
Jan 18, 2007, 03:49 PM
sounds good to me....can't wait for Leopard!

cvillian
Jan 18, 2007, 03:51 PM
Scrubbing? YES!!!!

Scarlet Fever
Jan 18, 2007, 03:52 PM
I'd like it more if this was implemented into FrontRow. I use the DVD player in FR more than i use the DVD Player app.

ero87
excellent!! DVD player could definitely use an overhaul.

Squonk
Those mock-ups look nifty! It has that iPhoto feel to the chapter list at the top of the screen. I like it!

I'd like it more if this was implemented into FrontRow. I use the DVD player in FR more than i use the DVD Player app.

That brings up a good point - isn't a DVD player redundant with FrontRow. Well, I suppose that is only true for the FrontRow equiped macs.. So the DVD player is more aimed at the older hardware?

IEatApples
Jan 18, 2007, 04:02 PM
I've missed this like crazy: "a time bar for visual scrubbing" :)

scotthew1
Jan 18, 2007, 04:02 PM
Could the new look on the mock-up be any indication to the new GUI in leopard?

iVoid
Jan 18, 2007, 04:07 PM
That brings up a good point - isn't a DVD player redundant with FrontRow. Well, I suppose that is only true for the FrontRow equiped macs.. So the DVD player is more aimed at the older hardware?

Does Front Row have a completely different DVD Player or does it just hook into the regular DVD Player?

I'd find it surprising if Apple doesn't just have Front Row call the regular DVD player to play DVDs, even if it doesn't present the full DVD player app.

Anonymous Freak
Jan 18, 2007, 04:07 PM
fullscreen chapter navigation with chapter thumbnails

You mean... Like most DVDs have built into their own menu system?!?

As for using the Front Row DVD Player more than the standalone: In Leopard, Front Row will be included for all computers, even without a remote.

(Although this brings up the question: Will the Mac Pro be updated to include an IR receiver?)

Durendal
Jan 18, 2007, 04:13 PM
Please please please let this new version have 5.1 support. A lot of Macs have optical audio output that works just dandy with a 5.1 speaker set, so I hope that Apple includes support for 5.1 decoding. Better deinterlacing would be nice too.

ViToMiNs
Jan 18, 2007, 04:22 PM
Sounds great, unfortunately it makes me even more anxious of getting Leopard!

mino
Jan 18, 2007, 04:24 PM
Please please please let this new version have 5.1 support. A lot of Macs have optical audio output that works just dandy with a 5.1 speaker set, so I hope that Apple includes support for 5.1 decoding. Better deinterlacing would be nice too.

I usually watch movies with a 5.1 speaker set. I connect optical audio to a receiver and it works just right with dolby surround and dolby digital: you just have to go in preferences menu and choose digital audio out.

I hope that new DVD player will support Blu-ray and HD-Dvd, it wouldn't make sense not to add those features. (720p instead of 1080p in iTv doesn't make sense, too).

rjfiske
Jan 18, 2007, 04:28 PM
You mean... Like most DVDs have built into their own menu system?!?

Most, but not all. And if they do, it's a sub-menu off of the main menu. And even more often it's a sub-menu off of the sub-menu! So this means you would have to leave the movie, go to the main menu, go to the sub-menu (if there is one), navigate to the thumbnail and play. And of course on most of these menus, there's actually a number of different screens that you'd have to get to, to go to the right thumbnail:

1-4 5-9 10-14 15-19

If I understand it right, I would imagine Apple's solution greatly simplifies this. You don't leave the movie, you don't navigate to any sub-menu, you don't have to guess which thumbnail you need.

Nevertheless it will be interesting.

apple_iBoy
Jan 18, 2007, 04:30 PM

My Mac Pro purchased last month cannot run Front Row (despite the fact that it is installed). At least, it can't without screwing around with some Library files, and I didn't have any luck doing that. :mad:

Hopefully Leopard will allow all hardware that's up to the task run Front Row. Although I feel like if I'm sitting right in front of my computer, interacting with it via mouse and keyboard, it makes more sense to use the DVD program. I only feel the advantage of Front Row when I'm sitting further back and am using the remote control.

EricNau
Jan 18, 2007, 04:32 PM
Like some have already mentioned, I just assumed since Front Row was included with Leopard, that DVD Player.app would just be left out, as it's not needed anymore.

Why do we need two DVD players?

mino
Jan 18, 2007, 04:34 PM
Like some have already mentioned, I just assumed since Front Row was included with Leopard, that DVD Player.app would just be left out, as it's not needed anymore.

Why do we need two DVD players?

For the same reason we need iTunes and iPhoto. If you open front row and you watch photos, then you quit front row, you will notice that iPhoto is open. Front row uses other apps.

EricNau
Jan 18, 2007, 04:44 PM
For the same reason we need iTunes and iPhoto. If you open front row and you watch photos, then you quit front row, you will notice that iPhoto is open. Front row uses other apps.
Which, I must say, is very annoying.

sikkinixx
Jan 18, 2007, 04:50 PM
what is visual scrubbing? :confused:

But overall that is pretty good, the DVD player needed a bit of help (I still can't figure out how to get 4:3 shows to stretch to widescreen :o )

Just added another reason I'm stoked for Leopard :D

iPoodOverZune
Jan 18, 2007, 04:54 PM
yea, that new ad with PC getting a webcam installation from IT guy is hilarious. I like that ad more than PC upgrade one :D

blur35mm
Jan 18, 2007, 04:57 PM
I usually watch movies with a 5.1 speaker set. I connect optical audio to a receiver and it works just right with dolby surround and dolby digital: you just have to go in preferences menu and choose digital audio out.

I hope that new DVD player will support Blu-ray and HD-Dvd, it wouldn't make sense not to add those features. (720p instead of 1080p in iTv doesn't make sense, too).

DVD Player 4.6.5 definitely supports Dolby 5.1 output.

Here is my question:

I have a G4 Quicksilver PowerMac dual 1ghz 1.5 GB RAM. I plan to get a Mac Pro 8coremac when they come out.

To turn my G4 into a video server serving up Video_TS folders (which DVD Player 4.6.5 currently supports(hope they do not take this away!)), I'd like to know three things:

1. What audio card do I need to add to the G4 that will support Optical out Dolby 5.1 for my receiver to get the proper AC3 signal?

2. What video card upgrade can I get for the G4 in order to output a true 1280x720p HD signal to my Projector (720p) (DVI to HDMI cable being the best option).

3. What bluetooth cards can I get for my G4 to allow me wireless keyboard and mouse access?

I really appreciate someone emailing me detailed information to blur35mm(at)gmail(dot)com. This has been impossible for me to find info on and is the final touch to my home theater. http://www.hemingwayhometheater.com (website coming soon).

Thanks to all!
Blur

donlphi
Jan 18, 2007, 05:11 PM
Not Real...

Photoshop Hack!!!

apfhex
Jan 18, 2007, 05:54 PM
a time bar for visual scrubbing
This has been needed since the beginning of time!!! Maybe DVD Player will actually be useful in Leopard.
satin platinum highlights
I bet it has nice dim-vims too. :cool:

Analog Kid
Jan 18, 2007, 06:03 PM
Those familiar with the software say a DVD audio equalizer is among the other new features aimed at enhancing the DVD experience on a Mac.
The current DVD player has audio EQ...

Silentwave
Jan 18, 2007, 06:15 PM
Not Real...

Photoshop Hack!!!

Try again.

Appleinsider posts (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2417) a description alongside artist renditions of upcoming changes to Leopard's DVD Player (5.0) software.

Scarlet Fever
Jan 18, 2007, 07:52 PM
so now that they have HDDVD and BluRay support in DVD Player, when do you reckon they'll have them as options in the computers?

Photo Monkey
Jan 18, 2007, 08:00 PM
Don't forget that there are many rumours (and I seem to remember Apple saying) that Front Row 2 is coming with Leopard.

The DVD Player is the DVD player in Front Row. If you're using Front Row, and then force quit it while playing a DVD (or some other combination), DVD player suddenly appears in the dock. I played with this on an iMac, but only managed to get it to appear once and I can't remember how.

GeorgeTheMonkey
Jan 18, 2007, 08:29 PM
To turn my G4 into a video server serving up Video_TS folders (which DVD Player 4.6.5 currently supports(hope they do not take this away!)), I'd like to know three things:
I really doubt Apple would take that way. I use DVD Player a lot for testing local Video_TS folders after I've created them in iDVD or DVD Studio Pro. I'm sure a lot of other Apple users do too. Would be silly of Apple to regress like that.

By the way, have you heard of DVD Assist (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=714917) before? Given how you want to use your G4 as a "video server," I think you'll like it. Basically it takes Video_TS folders on your HD (or any external drive) and cleverly presents them in Front Row, under your Movies folder. You can navigate all the stored DVDs you want and start watching them, without ever leaving Front Row. Simply brilliant.

1. What audio card do I need to add to the G4 that will support Optical out Dolby 5.1 for my receiver to get the proper AC3 signal?
I have the last PowerMac G4 model – the dual 1.42 – and it doesn't come with optical out either. A while ago I did a little research into this, but unfortunately didn't come up with much. Apparently the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 PCI audio card worked well for this task up until the release of Tiger, and now at this point there isn't any support for it.

One option, though, would be to get a cheap USB audio card, like the ones here (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/audio/cheap_mac_USB_audio_cards.html). The very first one on that page, for instance – the "Behringer UCA202" – is listed as having optical out (though the user doesn't comment on experience with it), and it's for only $29. The M-audio Transit is also listed as working fine for this purpose, though some users have had minor problems with the drivers for it.

Whatever way you go, I'd love to see how it works for you. I'm itching to get true 5.1 surround sound out of my G4 and into my receiver too, but haven't gotten around to trying yet.

2. What video card upgrade can I get for the G4 in order to output a true 1280x720p HD signal to my Projector (720p) (DVI to HDMI cable being the best option).
Your Quicksilver G4 doesn't have DVI out? That's a bit of a bummer. Is it just VGA and ADC? (My PowerMac G4 and it seems most of the later ones came with ADC and DVI, plus a DVI-to-VGA adapter in the box.)

I'd really have no idea what would work best, then.

3. What bluetooth cards can I get for my G4 to allow me wireless keyboard and mouse access?
I have a very nice D-Link Bluetooth USB adapter that I found at CompUSA. Works fine. Its model number is DBT-120 (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=34). That, and a Front Row remote control HID profile on my K700i make things super nice for home theater.

Hope all of that helps, at least a little. I'm hoping to be in the same boat in a few months – I'm saving for a nice HD projector right now. The PowerMac is in the ready (minus an optical out solution) and my surround sound systme is just itching to be hooked up. I might need a pretty long HDMI or DVI cable though, since it's a noisy beast and I'd want to tuck it away somewhere out of site.

freiheit
Jan 18, 2007, 08:46 PM
I just want to be able to play DVDs at 1.5x speed with sound so I can stop using PowerDVD on Windows. I've grown so accustomed to listening to DVDs at 1.5x that it actually bothers me to listen to them at "slow" 1x speed.

gigityadam31
Jan 18, 2007, 08:53 PM
more leopard screenshots at http://www.flickr.com/photos/40523206@N00/
features- EQ
- Picture Control (contrast, brightness etc.)
- video zoom (zoom 4:3 to fill screen, zoom in really close doesn't get distorted)
- Enable parental controls
and more

abbazaba
Jan 18, 2007, 09:00 PM
Great! Now I can grab an Xbox 360 HD-DVD player for a measly $200 and watch HD movies on my Mac!

Counterfit
Jan 18, 2007, 09:53 PM
DVD Player 4.6.5 definitely supports Dolby 5.1 output.

Here is my question:

I have a G4 Quicksilver PowerMac dual 1ghz 1.5 GB RAM. I plan to get a Mac Pro 8coremac when they come out.

I really appreciate someone emailing me detailed information to blur35mm(at)gmail(dot)com. This has been impossible for me to find info on and is the final touch to my home theater. http://www.hemingwayhometheater.com (website coming soon).

Thanks to all!
Blur

1. anything with an optical out port. Preferably not M-Audio, because their drivers suck (my PowerBook freezes or kernal panics any time I hot-plug my Transit USB :mad: ). DVD Player can pass through ANY audio, not just Dolby's AC-3 (I use DTS with no problem).

2. You should be able to do it with the video card now, unless the HD video is handled differently. You might need a processor upgrade though. (I'm certainly no authority on HD + computers)

3. This one (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=63EA090&nplm=T6295ZM%2FA) is sold an supported by Apple, but you can use just about any USB Bluetooth adapter.

Edit: damn, beaten by a monkey!

I just want to be able to play DVDs at 1.5x speed with sound so I can stop using PowerDVD on Windows. I've grown so accustomed to listening to DVDs at 1.5x that it actually bothers me to listen to them at "slow" 1x speed.

:confused: Why do you listen to them faster than 1x?

KindredMAC
Jan 18, 2007, 10:23 PM
Jeez with Apple in the Blu-Ray corner for developers, do you think that this new tid bit of info means we could see a Super-Hybrid Drive in the not so far off future? HD-DVD, Blu-Ray and DVD capabilities???? Not too far fetched considering LG or someone came out with one at CES.

donlphi
Jan 18, 2007, 11:26 PM
more leopard screenshots at http://www.flickr.com/photos/40523206@N00/
features- EQ
- Picture Control (contrast, brightness etc.)
- video zoom (zoom 4:3 to fill screen, zoom in really close doesn't get distorted)
- Enable parental controls
and more

we've never seen this before. Mark my words... this is a fake... When Leopard comes out, don't expect to see it. FAKE!!!! Confirmed by WHO???

GregA
Jan 18, 2007, 11:49 PM
Now... just to play with the idea of "really easy to use"...
We need to have a cleaner way of accessing our media. The next iTunes maybe?

eg
- How about merging DVD player and Quicktime?
- Should iTunes show DVDs in the menu, just like it shows CDs?

Rod Rod
Jan 19, 2007, 01:37 AM
Jeez with Apple in the Blu-Ray corner for developers, do you think that this new tid bit of info means we could see a Super-Hybrid Drive in the not so far off future? HD-DVD, Blu-Ray and DVD capabilities???? Not too far fetched considering LG or someone came out with one at CES.

This has to come up in every thread where Blu-Ray Disc or HD-DVD is mentioned. Someone has to at least insinuate that Apple is "in the Blu-Ray corner."

Apple officially supports both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

It's just some Apple fans think that Apple is exclusively behind Blu-Ray, and the Great Internet Echo Chamber takes over, and people start to take that as fact.

Rod Rod
Jan 19, 2007, 01:46 AM
Now I can see why so many people are under the mistaken impression that Apple supports Blu-Ray and not HD DVD.

Apple's press release proclaiming support of BR came out one month before its press release about supporting HD DVD.

March 10, 2005:
Blu-ray Disc Association Welcomes Apple to Its Board of Directors (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/mar/10blu-ray.html)

April 17, 2005:
Apple Continues to Lead the Industry in the Adoption of HD Video at NAB (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/apr/17hd.html)

Apple is committed to both emerging high definition DVD standards—Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD. Apple is an active member of the DVD Forum which developed the HD DVD standard, and last month joined the Board of Directors of the Blu-ray Disc Association.

According to the above, however, Apple was behind HD DVD before Blu-Ray, because Apple had been "an active member of the DVD Forum" long before the Blu-ray camp existed.

Jowl
Jan 19, 2007, 03:03 AM
Which, I must say, is very annoying.

It is indeed!

But as regards DVD PLayer - I;m glad HD-DVD and Blu-ray seem to be supported

(now please but a HD-DVD in my mini :D )

GregA
Jan 19, 2007, 05:10 AM
According to the above, however, Apple was behind HD DVD before Blu-Ray, because Apple had been "an active member of the DVD Forum" long before the Blu-ray camp existed.

There are lots of places to blur the meaning of the words here.

eg: It says Apple is a member of the DVD forum.
It also says the DVD forum developed the HD DVD standard.
That's not quite the same as being a supporter of the HD DVD standard.

eg2: Apple is on the BOARD OF DIRECTORS of the BluRay group.
Apple is a member of the DVD forum.

To imply equal activity and support of both, from your quotes, would be a stretch. Personally, I have no idea what they support more but I'm sure they'll be working with both.

rcha101
Jan 19, 2007, 06:44 AM
Lets just hope they can make the new machines this runs on region free.

iW00t
Jan 19, 2007, 07:32 AM
Maybe this DVD player can't be completed in time for Leopard's release and has to be purchased for $1.99 from the Apple store. :rolleyes:

Sol
Jan 19, 2007, 07:33 AM
The screenshots look great. Reminds me of the latest iPhoto in Full Screen mode. Very neat and uncluttered. If the next version of Front Row lets me zoom the picture so that there are no black bars I would consider replacing my DVD player with a Mac Mini.

It will be so good to use a Mac Mini with either HD-DVD or BD on a television. Apple TV turned to 11!

PeteyKohut
Jan 19, 2007, 09:54 AM
what is visual scrubbing? :confused:

But overall that is pretty good, the DVD player needed a bit of help (I still can't figure out how to get 4:3 shows to stretch to widescreen :o )

Just added another reason I'm stoked for Leopard :D

Just use the ZOOM feature. Go up to "Window" in the toolbar, and select Video Zoom. Adjust accordingly.

The feature I want to see is some sort of upscaling. I have a 24" iMac and would love it if the DVD Player could upscale to 720p or 1080i (or....for that matter 1080p). Ooooh.....it would be sweet.

Rod Rod
Jan 19, 2007, 10:45 AM
To imply equal activity and support of both, from your quotes, would be a stretch. Personally, I have no idea what they support more but I'm sure they'll be working with both.

Yeah, Apple's own press release, in which it says, "Apple is committed to both emerging high definition DVD standards—Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD," is just not clear enough, is it? :)

The fact that for more than a year now we've been able to author HD DVD-Rs in DVD Studio Pro 4 indicates bona fide support for HD DVD. HD DVD-R playback support in Tiger's DVD Player has been there since around 10.4.2.

Where's the authoring support for Blu-Ray? It might come by April but it's not here now. Apple's being on the board of directors of Blu-ray hasn't meant much in a practical sense in the past almost-two-years.

Given that HD DVD (red laser and disk image) playback is already in the current (Tiger) DVD Player, maybe someone out there can try and connect an XBox 360 HD DVD (blue laser) drive to a Mac and see what happens?

bommai
Jan 19, 2007, 11:40 AM
Just use the ZOOM feature. Go up to "Window" in the toolbar, and select Video Zoom. Adjust accordingly.

The feature I want to see is some sort of upscaling. I have a 24" iMac and would love it if the DVD Player could upscale to 720p or 1080i (or....for that matter 1080p). Ooooh.....it would be sweet.

It already does that. How do you think the full screen mode (Cmd 0) works?

GregA
Jan 19, 2007, 02:30 PM
Yeah, Apple's own press release, in which it says, "Apple is committed to both emerging high definition DVD standards—Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD," is just not clear enough, is it? :)
I agree they support both.

Just the way you quoted Apple you assumed certain meanings which weren't there.

Rod Rod
Jan 20, 2007, 10:10 AM
I agree they support both.

Just the way you quoted Apple you assumed certain meanings which weren't there.

"Assume" means "suppose to be the case, without proof." I presented proof. I offered an alternative interpretation and cited factual evidence. If you'd like to point out other facts, please do.

As a practical matter, there has been HD DVD (on red laser disc and disk image) playback support in Tiger's DVD Player for the better part of two years. There has been HD DVD (on red laser disc and disk image) authoring in DVD Studio Pro 4 since it was introduced almost two years ago.

Where's the parity with Blu-Ray? It's not here (yet).

Butthead
Jan 20, 2007, 03:33 PM

The fact that for more than a year now we've been able to author HD DVD-Rs in DVD Studio Pro 4 indicates bona fide support for HD DVD. HD DVD-R playback support in Tiger's DVD Player has been there since around 10.4.2.

Where's the authoring support for Blu-Ray? It might come by April but it's not here now. Apple's being on the board of directors of Blu-ray hasn't meant much in a practical sense in the past almost-two-years.

Given that HD DVD (red laser and disk image) playback is already in the current (Tiger) DVD Player, maybe someone out there can try and connect an XBox 360 HD DVD (blue laser) drive to a Mac and see what happens?

Coming soon, keynote from Steve-O about Leopard/DVD player support for both HD formats & all new Apple Mac's/devices as being the "Year of HD, Rev. B" lol

biaachmonkie
Jan 21, 2007, 03:57 AM
I hope the just make it not suck, the current DVD Player is sucha joke, have a scratch on a DVD? CRASH! Little bit of dust on the disc? CRASH!

Whom ever thought that crashing on a read error instead of just continuing on, and suffering the little bit of garbled video was a good idea needs to be fired!

Jan 21, 2007, 08:44 PM
Great! Now I can grab an Xbox 360 HD-DVD player for a measly $200 and watch HD movies on my Mac!

And use a DVI-->HDMI converter and plug the MBP into my HDTV!

Yes!

pagansoul
Jan 26, 2007, 11:50 AM
Blu-ray Disc for Mac is here.

Blu-ray Disc (BD) technology, with its ability to record to 25GB single-layer and 50GB dual-layer discs, is the next generation in optical disc storage and MCE Technologies has brought it to the Mac. The MCE Technologies Blu-ray Internal Recordable Drive for Apple Mac Pro and Power Mac G5 is completely pre-configured for easy user installation. In addition to writing to 25GB single-layer and 50GB dual-layer Blu-ray discs, the MCE Technologies Blu-ray Internal Recordable Drive is compatible with all DVD and CD recordable media including DVD±R/RW + Dual/Double Layer, DVD-RAM, and CD-R and CD-RW. The MCE Technologies Blu-ray Internal Recordable Drive ships with Toast 8 Titanium and includes a 25GB Blu-ray (BD-RE) rewritable disc. All for only $699

I will wait for it to be about $400. By the way..it works with Toast 8 and it is part of the package.

Rod Rod
Jan 26, 2007, 03:01 PM
Blu-ray Disc for Mac is here.

Yup, it's been here since Toast 8 came out on or around January 9, 2007. And just as you quoted, it's strictly (for now) a data storage solution.

Those MCE Blu-ray Disc drives won't play back a commercial Blu-ray movie; not until Leopard's DVD Player. Even then, it's an open question whether HDCP will prevent playback of commercial Blu-ray movies. The copy protection on Blu-ray goes well beyond what's on DVDs.

The other unsettled issue is authoring of Blu-ray Disc movies. It's not here (yet) on the Mac. Hopefully, and this is speculation, DVD Studio Pro 5 will have it, and it'll come in April. That will hopefully coincide with authoring and burning capability onto 15GB HD DVDs.

appleguru1
Jan 26, 2007, 03:47 PM
For the record, Leopard recognizes AND MOUNTS HDDVDs (Tiger does NOT)... DVD player does not yet play back protected discs yet though. Yet.

Rod Rod
Jan 26, 2007, 10:44 PM
For the record, Leopard recognizes AND MOUNTS HDDVDs (Tiger does NOT)... DVD player does not yet play back protected discs yet though. Yet.

Please clarify for the record whether you're referring to blue-laser HD DVDs. I'm guessing you are, but since DVDSP 4 can author red-laser HD DVD-Rs which Tiger's DVD Player can play back, the clarification is necessary.

Also, if you're talking about blue-laser HD DVDs, is playback by way of the XBox 360 HD DVD drive?

caixiaoeva
Jan 27, 2007, 01:52 AM
show you guys a screenshot of leopard beta. he is a brave guy called blackapple from macfans.com.cn

MartinAyla
Feb 6, 2007, 07:17 AM

Does DVD Player 5 in Leopard play back decrypted HD DVD's?

Can you open a HVDVD_TS folder and play it?

Thanks

geiger167
Feb 6, 2007, 07:30 AM
HD DVD playback support please Apple, then I can scrap this VISTA dual boot on my mac and play back my HD DVD's through the xbox 360 dvd player instead of rebooting into VISTA and using powerdvd ultra. It really is the ONLY reason I made it a dual boot system, and those hi def movies look mighty fine on the 23' IMAC display at 1920 resolution :)

floam
Feb 15, 2007, 02:19 PM

bearbo
Feb 15, 2007, 02:21 PM
show you guys a screenshot of leopard beta. he is a brave guy called blackapple from macfans.com.cn

poor photoshop?

it says copyright to 2005...

MartinAyla
Feb 15, 2007, 02:26 PM
10.4.9's DVD player can open a HVDVD_TS folder.

And display video??

Not in my test....

ktty82nyc
Feb 18, 2007, 02:21 AM
I found this while browsing for videos..enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k9nj44j-d0

djon41
Feb 18, 2007, 11:41 AM
I found this while browsing for videos..enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k9nj44j-d0

nice, thanks...looks like a nice upgrade :)

gigityadam31
Feb 19, 2007, 07:00 PM
we've never seen this before. Mark my words... this is a fake... When Leopard comes out, don't expect to see it. FAKE!!!! Confirmed by WHO???

you will be pleasantly surprised when Leopard is out.
This is not fake, ask anyone to confirm that the 9A321 builds and up has video zoom.

And the whole point of new major versions of programs is to see something that you haven't seen before; thats what sells a product.

freeny
Feb 19, 2007, 09:21 PM
Scrubbing? YES!!!!

Ive been hoping for scrubbing myself. Thanks apple.

TenaciousPZ
Feb 19, 2007, 09:33 PM
[Insert: Generic "i like it but it would like it better if..." apple critique]

ART5000
Feb 19, 2007, 09:43 PM
I was in Best Buy the other day asked the sales guy

"could you show me all your HDCP compliant HDTVs"

sale guy: "huh":confused:

couple next to me, whispers: "what's going on honey?:confused:

what's going on is that if your HDTV or HD monitor is not HDCP complaint YOU can't play HD-DVDs.:cool:

IF Leopard comes wrapped with a HD DVD player will it play on your Apple monitor?

Question is: ARE APPLE MONITORS HDCP COMPLIANT? AND IF NOT, IS THERE SOME FIRMWARE TO BYPASS THIS DISASTER.:eek:

floam
Feb 20, 2007, 12:11 AM