PDA

View Full Version : What is a Pismo?

sparks9
May 16, 2003, 05:21 PM
I see this name over and over but what is it? Yes I know it's a Powerbook, but which one?

edesignuk
May 16, 2003, 05:33 PM
Quick google turned up this: http://www.lowendmac.com/pb2/pismo.shtml

Pismo
May 16, 2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by sparks9
I see this name over and over but what is it? Yes I know it's a Powerbook, but which one?

Pismo was the codename. The Pismo PowerBook came in 2 models. They had a 400 or 500 MHz G3 processor, AirPort, and Firewire. This was the last model before the Titanium PowerBooks were introduced.

mymemory
May 16, 2003, 06:10 PM
It is a band of trols and elfos that still your underweard from your closet late at night.

bennetsaysargh
May 16, 2003, 06:13 PM
i love pismo. i want a pismo, with a g4 upgrade. it was like the perfect case, not as round as the iBooks, but not as straight as the titaniums.

janey
May 16, 2003, 09:00 PM
the pismo is an amazing machine i was gonna trade a ti for my friend's pismo but he didn't want OS X and he liked the 1gb of memory he could have
it's the PowerBook G3 with FireWire-the Lombard is the one with the bronze keyboard, which is also a cool laptop.
If you want more info on the Pismo, Mactracker (search on versiontracker) has some cool stuff about it
http://www.gete.net/book/fiches/images/pismo.gif
don't you think it's pretty? :P

MacFan25
May 16, 2003, 09:10 PM
so, the PB G3 Wallstreet came before the Pismo, right?

Wyrm
May 16, 2003, 09:17 PM
The next question would be how many still use their Pismo?

I still use mine, 3 years, 2 months after I bought it.
No paint chips (hey, its plastic), a few crayon marks (darn kids), and it has crashed something like twice, since OSX 10.0 (add those and the number of reboot needed updates and that is about the number of times I've rebooted since OS-X came out).

I also bought a Vaio 505 shortly after (y'know the thin ones)... and er.. gave it away, mainly because of battery life and memory expansion - and oh yeah, it ran Windows2000 sort of - which means sleep mode never worked, and it crashed when you least expected. I tried linux on it, and since Sony doesn't release any information about most of their stuff, most of the things didn't work (no kernel support) - but it was stable. The Pismo on the other hand runs Linux like a charm - and everything works - including WiFi.

My favourite feature of OS-X is you can just close the lid on a laptop and it goes to sleep... open it, and it works right away... y'know, like you'd expect. ;)

-Wyrm

melchior
May 16, 2003, 10:19 PM
i had a pismo for a while. other people love their cube or in the What is the best apple coomputer (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=27157) thread they're saying their TI 17 and blah blah blah. the g3 powerbooks were beautiful beautfiul machines. i really love the design.

it is my favorite apple design ever. gonna go say so now. in the other thread. =)

scem0
May 16, 2003, 10:21 PM
oops - mistake. Please delete.

sparks9
May 17, 2003, 07:52 AM
My dad has the Lombard, it looks like the Pismo, but it has no firewire. It still does everything he needs, it runs os 9 though :( .
I keep telling him to install os x.

Schura
May 17, 2003, 08:19 AM
BTW, "pismo" means "letter" in Russian :)

melchior
May 17, 2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Schura
BTW, "pismo" means "letter" in Russian :)

that's cool. i didn't know that. (maybe i should. i'm going to russia for a month in june/july)

on spot of alternative language names, i was in a shoe store and there was a nike branded 'libretto' libretto means small book in italian. (i think a lot of people know this, if only because of shakespeare) so this shoe is a little book. that's.... interesting. i think it's most stupid because i am sure lots of people know this too. just not Nike Marketeers....

Wyrm
May 18, 2003, 07:00 PM
Re: Libretto
Nobody knows what occurs in the brains of marketers. I'd assume by their choice of name, that the targeted market doesn't know either (or at least the marketers don't think their target market knows...er you know what I mean).

Re: Pismo
Russian for Letter? Cool. I thought it was one of those things the British use on windows to open them by turning a crank - or maybe that's the Willy-banger?:D

I think Apple comes up with great project code names, however it seems like only "Jaguar" has the code name brought forward to the product name. Wonder if they'll do the same with "Panther"?
It's too bad the Pismo is just code name, and not the product name, since it is so much better than "Firewire Powerbook 2000".

-Wyrm

GeeYouEye
May 18, 2003, 08:15 PM
I've always wanted a Pismo... they're just too danged expensive on eBay, especially since they don't have a warranty. Still, a Pismo with a G4 upgrade, 1 GB of RAM, and dual new batteries... *drools*

filmcutter
May 18, 2003, 09:15 PM
Still loving my Pismo 400.

Only problem is my battery is pretty much only good as a weight source. I think the battery bug has fried it. I know it's a bit old, but the life varies from 40 minutes to about 25 seconds after unplugging.

So a G4 upgrade and a couple new batteries would be nice...

f-matic
May 18, 2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Wyrm

My favourite feature of OS-X is you can just close the lid on a laptop and it goes to sleep... open it, and it works right away... y'know, like you'd expect. ;)

actually, OS 9 does this quite well too - shuts off my pismo automatically when i close the lid, powers on by the time i've opened it up again.

btw, don't forget the other advantage of the pismo over the early tibooks - the audio input jack!

best,
np

Wyrm
May 18, 2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by f-matic
actually, OS 9 does this quite well too - shuts off my pismo automatically when i close the lid, powers on by the time i've opened it up again.

btw, don't forget the other advantage of the pismo over the early tibooks - the audio input jack!

Yeah - I remember OS9 sleep (luckily I was able to move to OS-X really early - which means basically I wasn't a "power" user) but I seem to remember OS9 taking forever to return control to the user after a sleep. Is this still the case? OS-X is faster than opening the case.

TiBook doesn't have an audio input jack? How do you rip 8-track then? :D

-Wyrm

iznAdiznam
May 18, 2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by filmcutter
Still loving my Pismo 400.

Only problem is my battery is pretty much only good as a weight source. I think the battery bug has fried it. I know it's a bit old, but the life varies from 40 minutes to about 25 seconds after unplugging.

So a G4 upgrade and a couple new batteries would be nice...
Hey there. I just upgraded my Pismo 400 to a G3 900MHz through Powerlogix. I was going to get the G4 500MHz upgrade, but the G3 900 is soooo much faster, and apparently, according to tests, it even beats the G4 500 upgrade in pretty much every test they ran, and I've heard its even a bit quicker with Altivec enhanced apps, compared to the G4 500 upgrade, and this is from Powerlogix, who sells both, why would they bad mouth their own products?

Using Xbench, I tested out the new upgrade, and compared my stats to other Pismos on the xbench website (http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/csi.xhtml?machineTypeID=10), look for my stats, which are listed under Adam Schneider's Computer, then look for some of the G4 upgrades, and you'll notice that the G3 900 upgrade is much faster (btw, my computer only recognizes it as a G3 550MHz, which it is listed at the xbench site as; a special utility is needed to recognize it as the 900MHZ that it is, this utility also allows me to lower the CPU speed, pretty neat)

Well, I love the upgrade. It is unbelievable, so damn fast, and handles 10.2.6 like a charm. I wish their was a faster G4 upgrade, I would love to say, "I have a G4 Pismo," but, hell, I have a G3 900MHz Pismo!!!! Sooooo nice.

Definitely get the G3 900 over the G4 500 upgrade. I really have a monster Pismo again, now I just need to max out my RAM, only at 640MB right now.

Take care of your shoes,
Adam

Jimong5
May 18, 2003, 11:19 PM
I have A Pismo 400, and its broken. Its doesnt seem to want to boot up. So, Actually, id be willing to sell it if someone wants It and wants to fix it or just to sit and look pretty, or do whatever. If anyone wants more details or to make an offer, let me know.

MacsRgr8
May 19, 2003, 06:43 AM
Isn't "Pismo" also the name of a beach near San Francisco?

5300cs
May 19, 2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by MacFan25
so, the PB G3 Wallstreet came before the Pismo, right?

First was the Wallstreet, second was Lombard, last was Pismo.

OS 9 takes a few seconds to wake up after sleep, in the meantime everything is frozen on the screen. Still did it in 9.2.2.

If they still had a few unopened Pismos I'd take one, I like the smell of new machines;) ..especially the iBook

uhh.. does that make me strange?

ozubahn
May 19, 2003, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by MacsRgr8
Isn't "Pismo" also the name of a beach near San Francisco?

Yup, and it is quite a nice beach too. It is famous for its clams (which are sort of similar to PowerBooks), and as a resting ground for migrating monarch butterflies (which are also sort of similar to PowerBooks). The Pismo code name may derive from the Russian, but I think Pismo Beach is a more likely candidate. :)

MacsRgr8
May 19, 2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by ozubahn
Yup, and it is quite a nice beach too. It is famous for its clams (which are sort of similar to PowerBooks), and as a resting ground for migrating monarch butterflies (which are also sort of similar to PowerBooks). The Pismo code name may derive from the Russian, but I think Pismo Beach is a more likely candidate. :)

Sounds very nice! Too bad it's half way around the world from over here...

FlamDrag
May 19, 2003, 09:12 AM
I still use a Pismo 500 everyday at work. I have two batteries and still get about 4 hours with the screen dimmed to one notch and not listening to iTunes.

It's a great little machine. It's been here just under three years. Every once in awhile it flakes out on me but that's very rare now under OSX.

FWIW you can use 1GB of ram in a Pismo. I'm doing it right now. Crucial.com

Cheers

gopher
May 19, 2003, 09:27 AM
Here are the models of G3 Powerbooks:

G3/250 - December 1997 Kanga - not upgradable to Mac OS X and based on the Powerbook 3400 architecture. Color Apple logo on back. Only in 12.1"

G3/233, 250, 292 - May 1998 Wallstreet - in 12, 13, and 14" models.

G3/233 with 512k backside, 266, 300 - September 1998 Wallstreet II (a.k.a. PDQ) - in 12, 13, and 14". Last to employ Serial and ADB interfaces. Every model very easily upgradable to Mac OS X once you made sure you had a hard drive of at least 6 GB. Give yourself 3.5 GB of free space to install. If your hard drive is 8 GB or above, partition the first 7.95 GB to install Mac OS X on, or else it won't install. Last to employ separate cardbus and PCMCIA ports.

Now one of these early models was also codenamed Main Street.

G3/333 and G3/400 - May 1999 - Lombard. First to have built-in USB, but still have SCSI. Lots of difficulty upgrading to Mac OS X due to problems with CPU. Smaller drive bays than the earlier models.

G3/400 and G3/500 - April 2000 - Pismo, Powerbook 2000. First to have built-in Firewire. Last to have 2 Firewire ports until the 17" Powerbook. Some 400 Mhz models still had difficulty upgrading to Mac OS X. 500 Mhz should be fine for X.

The Titaniums all had G4s, 1 Firewire port, and no drive bays.

For more specs see: http://www.info.apple.com/support/applespec.html#powerbook

filmcutter
May 19, 2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by adamschneids
Hey there. I just upgraded my Pismo 400 to a G3 900MHz through Powerlogix.
(EDIT)
Adam

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering how they compared.

Have you had any of the battery problems that lots of others have reported? I'm still trying to figure out if it's just an older battery or a true bug.

Thanks again,

Greg
:)

gopher
May 19, 2003, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering how they compared.

Have you had any of the battery problems that lots of others have reported? I'm still trying to figure out if it's just an older battery or a true bug.

Thanks again,

Greg
:)

The battery problem is widely reported for the 10.2.4 update. It is irreversable, and if your machine is under warranty you should be able to get a replacement battery. Upgrading to 10.2.5 or 10.2.6 before installing the replacement battery is recommended. 10.2.5's issues with USB hubs is solved with 10.2.6, and there is a 10.2.6 combo updater which you should install from Apple's website to upgrade to 10.2.6.

filmcutter
May 19, 2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by gopher
The battery problem is widely reported for the 10.2.4 update. It is irreversable, and if your machine is under warranty you should be able to get a replacement battery. Upgrading to 10.2.5 or 10.2.6 before installing the replacement battery is recommended. 10.2.5's issues with USB hubs is solved with 10.2.6, and there is a 10.2.6 combo updater which you should install from Apple's website to upgrade to 10.2.6.

That's what I figured. Machine long out of warranty, but if 10.2.6 has fixed the problem then I'm less worried about buying a new battery.

Thanks...

gopher
May 19, 2003, 05:18 PM
That's what I figured. Machine long out of warranty, but if 10.2.6 has fixed the problem then I'm less worried about buying a new battery.

Thanks...
There is no guarantee 10.2.6 has fixed the problem, but check the store carefully, I think the battery itself you buy should have its own warranty. For many 10.2.6 has fixed the problem if they first upgraded to 10.2.6 and then put in the new battery, but not the reverse. Better to make sure when you buy the battery you can get it returned should 10.2.6 not fix the problem.

sparkleytone
May 19, 2003, 09:14 PM
quite possibly the sexiest laptop ever created.

it pulls off black so well. and those curves. yum.

janey
May 19, 2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by ozubahn
i believe that the Pismo was originally named after Pismo Beach...everyone should go there one day it's pretty nice.