Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Australia
Heyo, I've been using Bootcamp for a while now, but I've been having an issue with XP lately.

Whenever I boot up into windows, I get to the desktop all fine and dandy. Cool, huh? But herein lies my problem. The OS is completely unresponsive until all my tray icons load. 5/7 load in a second. The other two, the Apple Brightness Control, and the Wireless Network Connection can sometimes take up to 2-3 minutes to load, and until then I can't really do anything...especially as it sometimes prevents Bluetooth from connecting to my keyboard.

Any suggestions?

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
From experience that just...sounds normal. What you could try is going to Start- Run and typing in 'msconfig' then going to the start up tab and disabling anything you think you don't need running it at start up. HOWEVER, make sure you know what you're disabling. It's all too easy to disable something you need at startup, and then you're in trouble.

Hope that helps.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Heh, welcome to the world of Windows! ;)
Reinstall the bootcamp drivers. Use the latest version--check apple's site.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Heyo, I've been using Bootcamp for a while now, but I've been having an issue with XP lately.

Whenever I boot up into windows, I get to the desktop all fine and dandy. Cool, huh? But herein lies my problem. The OS is completely unresponsive until all my tray icons load. 5/7 load in a second. The other two, the Apple Brightness Control, and the Wireless Network Connection can sometimes take up to 2-3 minutes to load, and until then I can't really do anything...especially as it sometimes prevents Bluetooth from connecting to my keyboard.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, this is normal, it's just a bad part of an underpowered OS.

Xenesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Australia
Heh, thanks guys.

I guess this is still why I've been using Mac OS for the past 7 years. Too many small and annoying things.

But I'll give those small things a twiddle.

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Do you have anything that might be trying to access the network before the wirelss has been loaded? The freezup could be due to the computer trying to access an unavailable network resource.

Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.