PDA

View Full Version : Layout suggestions?

dogbone
Jan 20, 2007, 02:19 AM
Hi, The graphic isn't set yet but it will be some sort of stylised car.

I'm having some difficulty coming up with a way to lay out the three elements without looking too clunky.

Here is two ways I've tried, I'm open to suggestions.

Blue Velvet
Jan 20, 2007, 02:29 AM
Without messing or resizing any of the components, including stacking the type:

Blue Velvet
Jan 20, 2007, 02:33 AM
Or another:

Blue Velvet
Jan 20, 2007, 02:38 AM
Or another:

Blue Velvet
Jan 20, 2007, 02:44 AM
Last one before morning coffee... :)

leekohler
Jan 20, 2007, 04:29 AM
Honestly? It all looks clunky. I would rework the entire thing from the logo on up. Is this all your design or some of your client's? This can look a lot better while still looking masculine.

However, if most of these elements belong to your client, there isn't much you can do outside of Blue's suggestions.

Just so you know- this is not a place I would take my car for service from what I'm seeing. I would be scared. Maybe I sound like Simon Cowell, but so be it. I'm just being honest. Find a way to make this more simple if you can.

dogbone
Jan 20, 2007, 05:03 AM
Honestly? It all looks clunky. I would rework the entire thing from the logo on up. Is this all your design or some of your client's? This can look a lot better while still looking masculine.

However, if most of these elements belong to your client, there isn't much you can do outside of Blue's suggestions.

Just so you know- this is not a place I would take my car for service from what I'm seeing. I would be scared. Maybe I sound like Simon Cowell, but so be it. I'm just being honest. Find a way to make this more simple if you can.

The original logo is not my design but I've reworked it a bit. I was finding AAC pretty tricky to work with. Here's the original logo. Also here is my first concept that I thought was quite good. The idea was to mimic the sort of metalic auto nameplates one would find on cars from the 50's. But the client didn't like it. So I just reworked their old logo.

The client likes the idea of having some sort of stylised car image. I agree it looks clunky. I knocked it up pretty quickly to use as a sort of placeholder. I'm hoping to get a more simplified design. But he's pretty adamant he wants some sort of car graphic in there somewhere.

Here's my latest effort using some of BlueVelvet's ideas. Originally I was trying to get the graphic much more sparse and try and fit the logo inside it.

Blue Velvet
Jan 20, 2007, 05:26 AM
Honestly? It all looks clunky.

True. I assumed that the brief meant not altering any of the components... something I have to do at work occasionally. Messing about with a handful of quick comps just after you wake up is not the same thing as redesigning something from scratch or giving a crit, something I'm usually reluctant to do in this forum.

However, if it means starting from scratch, then I would start with the original logo. To me, it has a better overall balance than your redrafting, particularly the 'C'.

I'm done. :)