Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Hi

I have a question regarding the best export options from iMovie or Motion into Final Cut Express.

I am using Final Cut Express for all my DV editing but sometimes I create sequences in iMovie because I like to new themes and I use them in my FCE projects.

If I export the movie as a DV project and then import into FCE the quality is by far not as good as in iMovie.

Therefore my question --> which export option should and settings should I use?

In addition I am using Motion for short sequences and I am importing the Motion file directly into FCE. Here as well the quality is not that good. What should I do here?

Thanks a lot for your feedback
Cheers
LaForge

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Final Cut Express should allow you to just open your iMovie project file.

Just go file open, and click on your iMovie project. As far as motion goes I am not sure, but DV should be the best quality to export to.. not sure why it wouldn't be.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Final Cut Express should allow you to just open your iMovie project file.

Just go file open, and click on your iMovie project. As far as motion goes I am not sure, but DV should be the best quality to export to.. not sure why it wouldn't be.

Hi,

thanks for your feedback. I will try to open the iMovie file and use it as a sequenz in the other project - that could work.

DV colorspace is 4:1:1 and as a compressed format not the best option. Any other ideas?

Cheers
LaForge

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.