PDA

View Full Version : What is Apple's worst product of all time?

iBookman
May 17, 2003, 06:12 PM
What is Apples worst product ever, design and performance wise?

Sun Baked
May 17, 2003, 06:28 PM
Are you asking for something that had more design and construction problems than the early Apple /// or was a machine that designed itself out of the market like the Lisa?

Or couples sky high price with the technical problems like tha TAM?

Or a product that just plain sucked?

It's just sooo hard to choose. :eek:

iBookman
May 17, 2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Are you asking for something that had more design and construction problems than the early Apple /// or was a machine that designed itself out of the market like the Lisa?

Or couples sky high price with the technical problems like tha TAM?

Or a product that just plain sucked?

It's just sooo hard to choose. :eek:

I'm aking all of those Questions but also which Apple Product, taking every thing into consideration which is the worst?

tazo
May 17, 2003, 06:34 PM
probably the tangerine-era ibooks. they were aesthetically pleasing, although they came inthose godawful toy colors, they were also extremely overpriced, underpowered, and could only go to a measly 800x600 resolution. coupled with what i believe to be a max of a 6 gig hard drive, the tangerine-era ibooks represent one in a series of follies that Apple has produced.
Just my $ 0.02 people

Vlade
May 17, 2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by tazo
probably the tangerine-era ibooks. they were aesthetically pleasing, although they came inthose godawful toy colors, they were also extremely overpriced, underpowered, and could only go to a measly 800x600 resolution. coupled with what i believe to be a max of a 6 gig hard drive, the tangerine-era ibooks represent one in a series of follies that Apple has produced.
Just my $ 0.02 people

I would have to agree, but my first "real" mac was a bondi blue iMac at 233 MHZ. I had a 25 MHZ mac that costed 5000 bucks when it first came out, but that was given to me.

Flynnstone
May 17, 2003, 07:27 PM
Just my $ 0.02 people

I have a few of the green iBooks. They are only 3 gig though.
But ...
I had a guy at work that sold his (I think it was tangerine) iBook for more than what he paid for ! :)
Amazing ! This never happens in PC land.

Spock
May 17, 2003, 07:46 PM
The G4.

tazo
May 17, 2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Flynnstone
I have a few of the green iBooks. They are only 3 gig though.
But ...
I had a guy at work that sold his (I think it was tangerine) iBook for more than what he paid for ! :)
Amazing ! This never happens in PC land.

i was going to put down 3 gig instead of 6 in my original post however i was not positive. better more than less right?

MacBandit
May 17, 2003, 07:50 PM
The entire Performa line.

Freg3000
May 17, 2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Spock
The G4.

The G4 was great when it first came out...now....well it's time for a much needed change.

vniow
May 17, 2003, 08:19 PM
Nobody here disses my clamshell and gets away with it.http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=259055

yzedf
May 17, 2003, 08:31 PM
G4 Cube.

tazo
May 17, 2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by vniow
Nobody here disses my clamshell and gets away with it.http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=259055

Whoa take a chill pill. lol. Its just a computer. Not your mom. If I said your mom was the worst mom ever I have the feeling you would not find it necessary to yell at a complete stranger.

marcsiry
May 17, 2003, 08:59 PM
The iBook was the first consumer computer EVER with available built-in wireless networking. It and the Airport Base Station were introduced simultaneously. It was absolutely mind-blowing and revolutionary at the time- that ALONE is enough to keep it off any "worst" list.

The G4 introduced AltiVec, which through sheer computational power managed to keep the Mac somewhat in play in the face of soaring clock speeds on the part of its competitors.

The Cube was certainly overpriced, but not by much. Its (mostly) fanless and silent operation was welcomed, and is still cherished, by many of its owners, making a Cube a pricey eBay purchase to this day.

No, none of those products were the "worst" by a long shot. To earn the name, it would have to be a product that was so useless, so lame, and so bad, by definition it would be long gone and forgotten by the masses.

Perhaps many of you are too young to remember the debacle of the Mac IIVX. A successor to the IIci that actually ran far slower than its predecessor- and in an ugly case, too! I think it lasted two months on the market.

Another dog- the LCII. With the cheapest possible components, crippled everything, and the same slower-than-before problem as the VX, running anything more demanding than Calculator or Puzzle DA on the LCII was an exercise in self-flagellation.

In contrast to those faux pas, a Cube or Clamshell iBook looks like a candidate for the Apple Hall of Fame. Heck, I'd like a cube for a silent media server, and the clamshell iBook is still a great sturdy computer for people with destructive kids.

Fender2112
May 17, 2003, 09:30 PM
Wasn't there a product called the emate that was targeted at the education market? I'm not saying it's the worst. But it came and went with not much more than a whisper.

I was never crazy about the original iMacs either. I've never really been fond of the all-in-one designs. That's just my taste. However, I think the LCD imacs are the coolest looking computers ever made.

yzedf
May 17, 2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by marcsiry
The iBook was the first consumer computer EVER with available built-in wireless networking. It and the Airport Base Station were introduced simultaneously. It was absolutely mind-blowing and revolutionary at the time- that ALONE is enough to keep it off any "worst" list.

The G4 introduced AltiVec, which through sheer computational power managed to keep the Mac somewhat in play in the face of soaring clock speeds on the part of its competitors.

The Cube was certainly overpriced, but not by much. Its (mostly) fanless and silent operation was welcomed, and is still cherished, by many of its owners, making a Cube a pricey eBay purchase to this day.

No, none of those products were the "worst" by a long shot. To earn the name, it would have to be a product that was so useless, so lame, and so bad, by definition it would be long gone and forgotten by the masses.

Perhaps many of you are too young to remember the debacle of the Mac IIVX. A successor to the IIci that actually ran far slower than its predecessor- and in an ugly case, too! I think it lasted two months on the market.

Another dog- the LCII. With the cheapest possible components, crippled everything, and the same slower-than-before problem as the VX, running anything more demanding than Calculator or Puzzle DA on the LCII was an exercise in self-flagellation.

In contrast to those faux pas, a Cube or Clamshell iBook looks like a candidate for the Apple Hall of Fame. Heck, I'd like a cube for a silent media server, and the clamshell iBook is still a great sturdy computer for people with destructive kids.
It's all a matter of opinion.

Cube - crappy power switch, cracks in the case, lack of a fan (but mounts for it..? wtf?), lack of expandability, and overpriced. sexy, sure. who cares? still didn't make it a good machine, or a good selling one.

vniow
May 17, 2003, 09:49 PM
Whoa take a chill pill. lol. Its just a computer. Not your mom. If I said your mom was the worst mom ever I have the feeling you would not find it necessary to yell at a complete stranger.

Hmmm..maybe my sarcasm is too subtle, somebody's got to do it now that alex_ant has left..http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=251202

alset
May 17, 2003, 10:03 PM
Well, not the worst ever developed, but the worst that I owned was the PowerBook 5300ce. They shipped with broken housing around the display and had instances of batteries igniting. What an awful machine. It took me from then right up until January (7 years) to trust and Apple portable again. Thankfully, my iBook exceeds my expectations.

Dan

Sol
May 17, 2003, 10:10 PM
You people who dare to criticize The Cube deserve Dells. Just kidding, but really, it was the best Apple computer ever and just imagine how much better it could have been if it was updated like all the other lines.

As for the toilet-seat iBook, it may have had a lower resolution but considering that it was the same resolution as many Windows running laptops in the same price-range I would not be complaining. The best thing about the toilet-iBook was that it seemed rock-solid and for a portable aimed at the little 'uns this is a good thing.

Now, my vote for The Worst Ever Apple Product goes to... the hockey-puck mouse. It felt uncomfortable in everyone's hands, it was ball-based, flimsy, the cord was too short, the cord looped itself and in the end it gave all single-button mice a bad name.

kansaigaijin
May 17, 2003, 10:14 PM
cubes were not cracked, those are mold lines.

the 6200CD. that was a lame machine. its only redeeming feature is the ability to change the drive by sliding it in from the front without opening the case.

bbarnhart
May 17, 2003, 10:24 PM
The eMates were a great item.

The AirPort Basestation (graphite) gets my vote. Had to replace the capasitors a while back and it went bad again. I think that is my only piece of electronics that I have ever owned (Apple or otherwise) that has failed. And no, they wouldn't fix it or give me a referb.

I bought a non-Apple wireless router the second time around to show them whose the boss. And it was cheaper!

Duff-Man
May 17, 2003, 10:30 PM
Duff-Man says....the PB5300 maybe - a product known for more meltdowns than Homer Simpson has to be the worst....oh yeah!

applemacdude
May 17, 2003, 10:54 PM
my friends 5300 battery cought on fire but....performa 6360 slow bus slow clock speed. and we cant forget the old classic line..

Doctor Q
May 17, 2003, 10:59 PM
The eMate was great. I still have two that work.

Wasn't there a PowerBook that had a major overheating problem? That would be my vote for the Azzie (Apple Razzie) award.

Judo
May 17, 2003, 11:11 PM
The hockey puck mouse!

applemacdude
May 17, 2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
The eMate was great. I still have two that work.

Wasn't there a PowerBook that had a major overheating problem? That would be my vote for the Azzie (Apple Razzie) award.

Look @ this (http://www.insanely-great.com/features/010806.html)

porovaara
May 17, 2003, 11:42 PM

This isn't true. Sony laptops had WLAN long before Apple even thought about it.

MacBandit
May 18, 2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by applemacdude
my friends 5300 battery cought on fire but....performa 6360 slow bus slow clock speed. and we cant forget the old classic line..

Did it actually have flame or did it just melt? I was under the understanding that there was either no actual cases of fire in the US or there was as little as two incidences. I don't know why both of those possibilities stand out but they do.

shadowfax
May 18, 2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by yzedf
G4 Cube. are you out of your freaking mind? that is one of apple's coolest designs ever!

AmbitiousLemon
May 18, 2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by applemacdude

thats a pretty good list. though i wouldnt have put the wallstreet in there.

most of apple's failures are marketing failures.

to me the products that bother me more are the products that do well but have one tiny flaw keeping them from being perfect. like the 12"pbook of today. great lil computer but horribly crippled. i think its a shining example of apple's problems. so much potencial, products that even flawed are still damn great (and blow away non-apple machines), but that seem to be purposely taken down a few notches. just kidna sad to see.

o and whoever was saying the cube wasn't expandable is in fantasy-land. people still use those things and have upgraded them beyond belief. dvd burners, dual ghz g4s, new graphics cards. there are many cubes out there nearly as good as modern powermacs because they have been upgraded.

Gelfin
May 18, 2003, 02:45 AM
Hey, my first laptop was a clamshell iBook, and though it had many problems, "overpriced" was not one of them. I shopped around a long time, comparing price and features on both PC and Mac laptops, and the iBook was (and really still is) one of the best deals on the market in terms of features for the price.

I'm in the "Performa" camp myself. Sculley [edit: actually, I suppose I mean Spindler here -- Sculley just kind of inherited this mess] almost killed the Mac by trying to compete in the "beige box" market, including Quadras nobody could afford and Performas, sold through Sears and the like, which did more harm than good to Apple's cause because the Apple computer people were most like to encounter was a cheap crippled POS.

Memory of the Performa is the main reason I cringe when people around these boards start yelling about how Apple should sell "budget" consumer machines to compete with PC-side junk machines like "eMachines."

Lz0
May 18, 2003, 02:46 AM
NO NO NO NO!

Its the 6100/66 Dos compatable.

I need say no more.

AmbitiousLemon
May 18, 2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Gelfin
Hey, my first laptop was a clamshell iBook, and though it had many problems, "overpriced" was not one of them. I shopped around a long time, comparing price and features on both PC and Mac laptops, and the iBook was (and really still is) one of the best deals on the market in terms of features for the price.

I'm in the "Performa" camp myself. Sculley almost killed the Mac by trying to compete in the "beige box" market, including Quadras nobody could afford and Performas, sold through Sears and the like, which did more harm than good to Apple's cause because the Apple computer people were most like to encounter was a cheap crippled POS.

Memory of the Performa is the main reason I cringe when people around these boards start yelling about how Apple should sell "budget" consumer machines to compete with PC-side junk machines like "eMachines."

yeah i think the clamshell ibooks were great. i had one as a loaner for awhile. cute lil machines. first mac with wireless. not bad at all. they sound underpowered by today's standards but they were good lil machines in their day. just like the current ibooks. great value. good consumer laptop.

my first mac (not my first apple) was a performa. 33mhz. i liked it. but they weren't the best move for apple in marketing terms. that performa still works. gave it to a local school. and its still chugging along.

dhdave
May 18, 2003, 03:05 AM
Gotta chime in here. I too have an eMate and it's one of the most reliable pieces of hardware I own. The newton OS is a thing of beauty and the machine itself is built like a tank. I can type my journal or just handwrite it and then play some Mahjong before bed. What could be better? Oh yeah, setting up one of my Mac pluses on my nightstand and playing a little "solitaire til dawn". I'm sure I stand alone, but I don't know of a bad Mac. I have founds some intrinsic value in every one that I have seen used or owned. (I happen to love the lcII and the pizza box form factor in general).

--dh

techne
May 18, 2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by porovaara
This isn't true. Sony laptops had WLAN long before Apple even thought about it.

July 1999 Apple iBook press release:
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/1999/jul/21wrapper.html

March 2001 article on how the emerging Wi-Fi PC hardware wasn't even compatible with the IEEE standard
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,4596,00.asp

Wake up Neo.. Matrix have you.. Knock knock

HasanDaddy
May 18, 2003, 05:20 AM
The 5300 PowerBook series gets my vote by far!!!!

They were slow, big, heavy, and honestly, just kinda sucky....although, they were the first to have an HD that was a GIG in size....but still....horrible laptop!

I have some fond memories though because it was my first laptop EVER! that was cool......but I thought that it was a lot slower than all of my families older apple computers :(

btw --- I LOVE the puck mouse! I still use it to this day - especially for video editing!!!

and second....how can anyone think that the G4, especially with Altivec, is bad??? Sure we aren't as fast as some wintel comps......but I'm sick of this talk that the IBM G3 can blow the pants off of a Moto Altivec

believe me --- after editing on a PowerBook Alitvec G4, and then editing a similar movie on an iBook G3, I can tell you right now that I much PREFER THE G4 OVER THE G3 (or a Pentium 4 as well, for that matter)!

leghorn
May 18, 2003, 05:57 AM
Worst ever.........iTools (.mac)...Hands Down.

F/reW/re
May 18, 2003, 06:44 AM
http://www.insanely-great.com/reviews/mouse.jpg

aethier
May 18, 2003, 07:15 AM
Since this is a thread about the worst apple PRODUCT ever, not just computers. you all forgot the product that makes all the things above look amazing.

The Pippin@World has to be apples biggest failure product ever!

aethier

Doctor Q
May 18, 2003, 09:18 AM
Would Apple's online service, eWorld (http://www.mac512.com/eworld.htm), be considered a failure because it closed after a couple of years, or just a temporary success?

http://www.diosa.com/portfolio/eWorldORIG.jpg

Sayer
May 18, 2003, 10:01 AM
Its amazing to see all the comments on Apple products from the past 5 years as being the worst.

Apple started officially in 1976 (Apple Computer, Inc.). The WORST product of all time has to be the Apple III. Problem solving tips FROM APPLE included picking the entire unit up off the desk a few inches and letting it drop to reseat the daughter card that came loose during shipping. Plus Apple skimped on the electrical contacts on said card and didn't use non-corroding gold. So after a while the contacts on the daughter card got gunked up making it fail, pretty much guranteed. Steve Jobs had a hand in all that, IIRC.

The PowerBook 5300 was a red herring as NO shipped units EVER had the spontaneous combustion problem that TWO models did on the Apple campus (due to the batteries made by some company other than Apple BTW). I bought one of these things and it never had any of the problems claimed by the overly vocal minority of whiners who had the expected one out of ten thousand funky models. Apple has never shipped anything that has been absolutely problem free its entire product lifespan.

The second and third worst product happens to come from the Amelio era of Apple.

The G3 AIO for education (the iMolar, iTooth) precursor to the iMac that Jobs and Co. came up with is #2. It was a good concept horribly executed. It really looked like a giant tooth. Ugh. Thanks Amelio!

Then there is the little know Power Mac 4400. This model was a real stinker. It was targeted at business with a bundled copy of MS Office and a slimmed down desktop form factor (a shorter Beige G3 desktop shape). An independent Mac shop had stacks and stacks of these things for sale, they easily outnumbered any other used model 10:1. I guess business didn't want an underpowered overpriced "business" Mac. Brilliant move Amelio.

Maybe the Macintosh Portable and Lisa should be near the top. Yet another example of "What were they THINKING?"

Two Apple museum sites aren't working so I can't get more descriptive of these models. Look for yourself as they were real turkeys.

Sayer
May 18, 2003, 10:11 AM
The 6300 series lacked a DMA chipset so that any I/O activity totally locked up the CPU i.e. Modem or networking.

This was a really bad design flaw, but it wasn't a totally worthless machine like some of the other Apple products that preceeded it. It was just slower than it should have been.

As far anyone who claims their "friends" 5300 battery flamed on I highly doubt it. Apple caught this problem very early and recalled the laptops to replace the original (LiOn?) battery with a heavier NiMH version and tweak the power manager to charge them properly.

I orderd a 5300cs right when they came out and was backordered immediately due to the recall. My packaged arrived direct from Apple's US facility and had stickers on it indicated it had been rerouted.

Doraemon
May 18, 2003, 10:48 AM
Definitely the PowerMac 4400.

160 MHz, no L2 Cache (available on 200 MHz model), ugly PC-like case, way ower-powered fan (extremely noisy), terrible internal speaker.

I still have one running. Darn, it's soooo slow!

Flickta
May 18, 2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit

I have had a Performa 5200CD for years. It's great. The best Mac ever. It had EVERYTHING you could need. Show me an iMac with TV-tuner, eh?

Sun Baked
May 18, 2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Doraemon
Definitely the PowerMac 4400.

160 MHz, no L2 Cache (available on 200 MHz model), ugly PC-like case, way ower-powered fan (extremely noisy), terrible internal speaker.

I still have one running. Darn, it's soooo slow! Why didn't you ever add the L2 cache or a L2 cache upgrade?

On many machines with the L2 cache slot the L2 cache was an option on the entry level machine, and after all these years the chance to buy a L2 upgrade for next to nothing has probably come and gone dozens of times.

Fender2112
May 18, 2003, 01:16 PM
I'll recant my comment about the emate. It's a product that, to me, seems to have come and gone when no one was looking. I only vaguely remember reading about and never actually saw one.

That being said, I have to say ditto on the hockey puck mouse. That thing was just horrible.

Doraemon
May 18, 2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Why didn't you ever add the L2 cache or a L2 cache upgrade?

On many machines with the L2 cache slot the L2 cache was an option on the entry level machine, and after all these years the chance to buy a L2 upgrade for next to nothing has probably come and gone dozens of times.

Because at the time I felt the PM 4400 was becoming too slow I was already thinking of buying an iMac (and I did).
And the L2 Cache upgrade was extremly expensive at that time.

And today the PowerMac 4400 is only being used as typewriter. Hence, I am not going to spend any money on it.

applemacdude
May 18, 2003, 02:01 PM
Did it actually have flame or did it just melt? I was under the understanding that there was either no actual cases of fire in the US or there was as little as two incidences. I don't know why both of those possibilities stand out but they do.

what he said is that his pb was starting to overheat and then the computer locked up...the batery made a noise and then there was a spark. teh place where the battery was started to melt and it had a small flame.

MacCoaster
May 18, 2003, 03:01 PM
:o G4 didn't introduce vector processor unit (in fact MMX, etc. had existed before AltiVec.).

But, I'll jump in the subject, my opinion:

Power Mac G4 Cube is both the worst and best product of all time. :p

* Great computer.
* Horrible marketing/prices/etc.

Doctor Q
May 18, 2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by MacCoaster
Power Mac G4 Cube is both the worst and best product of all time.Coincidentally, I just fixed a G4 Cube today for a neighbor. Disk Warrior for Mac OS 9 rescued it. The owner (my neighbor) still loves the unique design, although he says he sometimes has trouble grabbing CD-ROMs out of the toaster-like drive. He's had the cube for a couple of years with no complaints before today, so he wouldn't consider it suitable for this "worst product" list.

MacBandit
May 18, 2003, 04:47 PM
Coincidentally, I just fixed a G4 Cube today for a neighbor. Disk Warrior for Mac OS 9 rescued it. The owner (my neighbor) still loves the unique design, although he says he sometimes has trouble grabbing CD-ROMs out of the toaster-like drive. He's had the cube for a couple of years with no complaints before today, so he wouldn't consider it suitable for this "worst product" list.

I agree with MacCoaster. He/she didn't say it was a bad machine simply that it was very poorly marketed. Way over priced for a desktop box with no display.

Chilton
May 18, 2003, 04:58 PM
Almost all Macs carried with them some kind of cool new feature. The eMate is exactly what a lot of people are hoping for from Apple now, only with color, faster, etc. You could do everything a laptop could, plus write on the screen. And it had a handle. But like most Apple products, they added cool features and added at least one thing that made you wonder, wtf? The eMate looked like a butt, or a purse if you were carrying it by its handle. Not masculine. Not something to take to a potential client's place to show off your digerati koolness. Unless you're a girl, of course.

The Clamshell iBook was the first consumer portable targeted, imo, to women. My wife won't buy a new iBook. Too ugly, she says. She likes her 600Mhz Green clamshell.

The iMac was awesome, but no floppy.

The IIvx had the first chipset capable of a bunch of stuff not found on PC hardware except the high end stuff, mainly for video games. Video flopping or something, I forget.

The Newton was incredible. But it was axed just when it started to really get good.

The worst Apple invention, imo, was that puck mouse. I gotta back that one up.

-Chilton

MacBandit
May 18, 2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Chilton
The worst Apple invention, imo, was that puck mouse. I gotta back that one up.

-Chilton

I had absolutely no problem with the puck mouse and I used one for 4 years. In my oppionion it's the best mouse you can get if you want one that moves very very freely on any surface and is very light. It is also very easy to pick and click while holding it without having to put it down.

jholzner
May 18, 2003, 09:00 PM
Orginal Newton was horrible and cost the company tons of money. If they just would have waited a little longer and not rushed it out the door it could've owned the PDA market today I think.

Foxer
May 18, 2003, 09:06 PM
Duh... Newton people!

It occured to me at the start of the thread, but nobody mentions until the poster before me.

MacBandit
May 19, 2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Foxer
Duh... Newton people!

It occured to me at the start of the thread, but nobody mentions until the poster before me.

How could the Newton be the worst? It was the first PDA and there was nothing to compare it to. By the time the later versions came out they were damn good and even comparable to many PDAs on the market today.

MorganX
May 19, 2003, 08:30 AM
How could the Newton be the worst? It was the first PDA and there was nothing to compare it to. By the time the later versions came out they were damn good and even comparable to many PDAs on the market today.

The Newton was the bomb!

MorganX
May 19, 2003, 08:31 AM
The one button mouse.

tazo
May 19, 2003, 08:31 AM

The Clamshell iBook was the first consumer portable targeted, imo, to women. My wife won't buy a new iBook. Too ugly, she says. She likes her 600Mhz Green clamshell. =

I believe the green clamshell only went up to speeds of 300mhz.

tazo
May 19, 2003, 08:34 AM
I was on the right track. According to LowEndMac, that lime ibook only went up to speeds of 366mhz.

http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:dOk43bvwmWIJ:www.lowendmac.com/pb2/ibook2.shtml+lime+clamshell+ibook&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Foxer
May 19, 2003, 09:54 AM

But the first generation were awful. Bad handwriting recognition, bulky, slow.

C'mon, they were mocked on the Simspons.

hmmfe
May 19, 2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by techne
July 1999 Apple iBook press release:
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/1999/jul/21wrapper.html

March 2001 article on how the emerging Wi-Fi PC hardware wasn't even compatible with the IEEE standard
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,4596,00.asp

Wake up Neo.. Matrix have you.. Knock knock

802.11b wireless was shipping and available before Apple entered the game in 1999. The technology used by Apple was Lucent's WaveLAN which shipped a year earlier (and was installed in my laptop that same year). ALL 802.11b had interoperability issues back then.

I will give Apple cudos for taking the lead in marketing 802.11b. But, the Airport was basically an x86 processor with a Lucent WaveLAN card shoved into it.

Any claim to being revolutionary must be limited to marketing and packaging.

Jaykay
May 19, 2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Judo
The hockey puck mouse!

YES YES YES....

deryk
May 19, 2003, 12:07 PM
the 6200CD. that was a lame machine. its only redeeming feature is the ability to change the drive by sliding it in from the front without opening the case.

I agree. I had one of these and it was full of bugs.

Captnroger
May 19, 2003, 12:33 PM
I'd vote for the original Mac 'portable.' Thing looked like one of the original Kaypro 'portables', and cost a small fortune.

MacBandit
May 19, 2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by deryk
I agree. I had one of these and it was full of bugs.

Ah, the 6200 just confirms my belief that the Performa series was the worst line of computers Apple ever released. The 6200 was one of the first PowerMacs that they dropped the Performa name from but was still a Performa. The worst problem with these computers was the software they shipped with. It was full of bugs including the system and with the early Performa models actually installed AT Ease at a standard installation.

MacBandit
May 19, 2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by MorganX
The one button mouse.

Ah, but once again how can you criticize a product that at one time revolutionized the computer industry. Remember that one button mouse was the first of it's kind. No other OS had input through a mouse and now if you don't have one it's very difficult to even operate the OS on almost any machine.

patrick0brien
May 19, 2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Captnroger
I'd vote for the original Mac 'portable.' Thing looked like one of the original Kaypro 'portables', and cost a small fortune.

-Captnroger

Of course <slaps forehead> why didn't I think of that!

It was also 10 pounds due to those nasty lead batteries!

I remember when I was in high school a teacher using on on one of those Armdesk chars and it was [i]bending the supports[i/].

MacBandit
May 19, 2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-Captnroger

Of course <slaps forehead> why didn't I think of that!

It was also 10 pounds due to those nasty lead batteries!

I remember when I was in high school a teacher using on on one of those Armdesk chars and it was [i]bending the supports[i/].

Okay here's one I can agree upon. As much as I would like one of these for collectors sentiments they were a big pile of steaming Elephant crap.

Sol
May 19, 2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Foxer
C'mon, (Newtons) were mocked on the Simspons.

To be mocked in The Simpsons is not anything to be ashamed of.

Now where is that darned Any-key...

tazo
May 19, 2003, 09:33 PM
what big companies *haven't* been satirized on the simpsons :P lol

DavidFDM
May 19, 2003, 10:25 PM
MacintoshTV - useless feature because the screen was so small

Color Classic - way ugly

PowerMac 61xx - worst form factor ever

PowerMac 8xx/8xxx - most difficult box to work inside

All the annoying proprietary Apple video connectors except ADC - some of these really made life difficult when working on computers

my 2 cents.

- D

Wardofsky
May 19, 2003, 10:32 PM
The Lisa project.

Steve put all his energy in and he boo'ed at it in the end after he started the Mac.

Sherman
May 19, 2003, 10:40 PM
[B
The Clamshell iBook was the first consumer portable targeted, imo, to women. My wife won't buy a new iBook. Too ugly, she says. She likes her 600Mhz Green clamshell.

-Chilton [/B]

I hate to break it to you, but there is no such thing as a 600Mhz clamshell iBook. The fastest they ever got was 466Mhz. It was an iBook Special Edition and it came in graphite or lime. It had a DVD-ROM drive, a 10GB HD, and the rest isn't that important.

You sir, are wrong.

And the worst Apple product ever would have to be the Macintosh TV. They nerfed what could've been a really useful computer by putting a 32 bit processor on a 16 bit board and screwing it over with terrible performance. I have one (got it on eBay for $50.) and I use it to watch TV and play crystal quest. It's not good for much else, although it is quite interesting to see GTA3: Vice City on a 1993 Macintosh.

Flynnstone
May 19, 2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by MorganX
The Newton was the bomb!

A business bomb yes.
A technological bomb, NO.
I still use my Newton 2100. Its still great after 5 years. I show it to people and the can't believe what it can do.
My Palms are lame in comparison.

Palm understood to get the price under $500 so that its easily expensed was the key. But you could also say that the Newton got the ball rolling. Perhaps didn't hang in long enough. ( All academic anyways ):D

Sun Baked
May 19, 2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Wardofsky
The Lisa project.

Steve put all his energy in and he boo'ed at it in the end after he started the Mac. As a technology experiment, it was an awsome/cool project.

Sucked in the delivery as a product though, way too expensive and the drives were a bad choice.

Look at some of the technology it introduced, some of it still hasn't become mainstream yet. Intoduced stuff way too far in advance of the market.

The Mac 128k was a pale copy... But much easier to relate to.

AmbitiousLemon
May 19, 2003, 10:59 PM
A business bomb yes.
I still use my Newton 2100. Its still great after 5 years. I show it to people and the can't believe what it can do.

Palm understood to get the price under $500 so that its easily expensed was the key. But you could also say that the Newton got the ball rolling. Perhaps didn't hang in long enough. ( All academic anyways ):D

yeah too many people are bad mouthing products because they didnt sell. The Newton, The Lisa, The Cube were amazing computers that are still worth lots of money today because people realize how useful and important they are.

How can anyone badmouth the lisa. first persona computer with a gui. more advanced than even the mac os that followed. only thing wrong with it was its price. they still sell for over $10k because they are so important in the history of the pc.

same with the cube . people still use cubes because they are so versatile and upgradable. again only thing wrong with it was its price. no room for it between the imac and the powermac.

and the newton was so ahead of its time that its still puts modern handhelds to shame. price and the fact that apple was inventing a new market was the problem. not anything wrong with the product.

HasanDaddy
May 20, 2003, 12:15 AM
I'm still using the hockey puck mouse to this day ---- BEST mouse ever made!

I wish they would come out with an optical version thats just a bit fatter (would be perfect for my round hand)

and for the 5300 suck-ups......I never did say that my 5300 burnt down - I just said that it sucked as a computer

MacBandit
May 20, 2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by HasanDaddy
......I never did say that my 5300 burnt down - I just said that it sucked as a computer

Because it did. My father has one because he had a 530 and it was great. Well so far with the 5300 he has had to repair the damn screen hing because it was cracking and no matter how much he babied it (trust me he's anal about these things) it finally broke off. So he bolted it together with some metal plates. He has the bionic Powerbook. Well also nearly every connector on the thing has finally failed and he had to open it up and resolder all the what turned out to be cold solder joints from the factory. There's more like how bad the screens sucked on them and how piggishly slow they were even when they were released and how poor there battery life was etc., etc.. In any case they plain and simply SUCKED!!!

moose
May 20, 2003, 01:43 AM
I'm going to have to cast my vote in with the hockey puck mouse. Most unapproachable, unergonomic, unfriendly, aesthetic driven, abysmally un-Apple, Apple product ever made.

That abject failure was only compounded by another product redesign that was made simultaneously: the flat keyboard, with half sized function keys. I don't know what simian was in charge of the products human factors and interfaces department at the time, but I hope they got at the very least a severe Thai caning.

Basic usability principle number 1: Fitts Law, which states that the time to acquire a target is a function of the distance to and size of the target. So what they did was pick the very keys that are farthest from one's reach and reduced their effective target size. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

true777
May 20, 2003, 03:02 AM
I'd have to agree that the whole LC line was pretty lame.
*And* all those pre power-pc powerbooks (520, 540? I forget the names).
Black "Mac TV", Performa 5200 (last NuBus). What about those notebooks with the docking stations? (2800 or something?)
Never used one of them, but they seemed odd.

Also... does anyone remember the all-in-one G3 (beige)
that was released for the education market only
(and completely flopped) just before the first iMac came out?

That to me was a bad product. Probably a relict of
Gil Amelio who dragged Apple down into its darkest days...
what a loser.

Other than that... I've just been thinking about all the Apple
products I've used over the years... printers, scanners, digital cams,
monitors, laptops, handhelds, desktops... and most of them have been
wonderful products.

Bengt77
May 20, 2003, 08:02 AM
I can't get to the site. Is it down because everyone over here is over there now? It won't load...

But what'll be my vote? I guess it's gonna be the original keyboard that came with the Mac 128k. Horrible; no numeric keypad, no function keys, heck, not even an escape key. It worked, sure, but it's not a think I'd want to have back. The keyboard that came with my bondi iMac came close to being just as bad, but that old 'board is just plain horrible.

What else? Oh, Mac OS 8, of course. Apple released 8.1 just a few weeks after the initial 8 release, because of all the bugs.

(What; Apple and bugs?!... :-)

:eek:

Jaykay
May 20, 2003, 09:34 AM
A business bomb yes.

Is it just me or did he not say the newton was the bomb, not a bomb...?

5300cs
May 20, 2003, 10:02 AM
.Mac and AppleCare!

hahah j/k :D .. just .Mac

Originally posted by Bengt77 But what'll be my vote? I guess it's gonna be the original keyboard that came with the Mac 128k. Horrible; no numeric keypad, no function keys, heck, not even an escape key. It worked, sure, but it's not a think I'd want to have back.

The reason the original Mac128k did have all that was because Apple thought the mouse was just too good. Didn't know if you knew that...

I'd vote for Newton OS 1.0 - absolutely useless. Nice lag when using that idiotic typewriter, gave me motion sickness in 5 minutes.

The Duo's were pretty crappy too, or at least the keyboards were. Used to have to bang on them like bubbles the chimp to get anything done.

How about OS 10.0 .. that was pretty lame too.

I like the 5300cs (hence the name) but only for the form factor. I've never had a problem with mine and I've had 2. Keeping my fingers crossed.

tazo
May 20, 2003, 12:15 PM
I liked the 5300cs, those are the laptops they loan out at my school. they are good machines, although the one i tried did not have a browser installed, so i couldnt use the modem it had on it. I liked the keyboard, gave a very satisfying tickitytack sensation. A very capable machine if you ask me.

metrolotus
May 20, 2003, 02:31 PM
EMAC - the best way to burn down a house. Emac

gopher
May 20, 2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by metrolotus
EMAC - the best way to burn down a house. Emac

The early eMacs were problematic with videocard problems, but they never were a fire hazard. They are overweight, but believe it or not there is an eMac at my usergroup with 128 MB of RAM that you wouldn't know it even though it is running Mac OS X. It is the 700 Mhz CD-RW model. You'd think it would be slower, but its even faster than the Flat Panel iMac CD-RW model with 128 MB of RAM. I did upgrade the Flat Panel to 384 MB of RAM and that certainly made a difference, but the eMac at least on some motherboards was well optimized for X.

donigian
Jun 4, 2003, 09:43 PM

Oh yeah, well what you gonna do about it??? Huh, huh, huh?!

She likes her 600Mhz Green clamshell.

What'd you do, overclock it? Wanted to get better gaming performance? j/k

Oh, the two worst Apple products ever were the hockey-puck mouse and Mac OS X 10.0. Wait, let me explain...

The mouse was bad because it did not fit well, although it did a lot of things well and Apple should pride itself for what it did right. The mouse looked great with the all-in-one iMac. It's cord was the right length to reach from the side of the keyboard into perfect reach; it was not too short or too long. And the mouse is a really fluid like mouse, almost seems optical to me, at times. The mouse has not required cleaning in the 3 or 4 years I've been using it and works great, except for it's darn shape.

Mac OS X 10.0 was rushed to the shelves of stores because Apple wanted to introduce its revolutionary OS before MS introduced XP. 10.0 had a serious performance problem, to be understated. It was introduced with little support for applications and threw out the stable, developer-supported, so-called "classic" Mac operating system. And I'm not saying later versions of X are included with this "worst of" title, just 10.0.

ZeeOwl
Jun 4, 2003, 10:29 PM
Ya, I agree with most of the poster's here.

#1: OS X 10.0. Should have been called Public Beta 2.

#2: Puck mouse. Cool to look at, a pain to use. And needed constant cleaning. I don't understand why they kept it around so long. Especially including it with their "pro" towers (Blue & White). This was designed for schoolkids.

#3: Compact keyboard. Worked great, but again, designed for schoolkids. Fine on an iMac, but not for a "pro" tower.

donigian
Jun 4, 2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by ZeeOwl
#1: OS X 10.0. Should have been called Public Beta 2.

Beta?!?!?! It should be more like Alpha version 1.0.

Doctor Q
Jun 4, 2003, 11:20 PM
If you think about it, Apple produced us - the Mac fanciers and fanatics - too. I hope we aren't their worst product!

Sun Baked
Jun 4, 2003, 11:24 PM
edited...SPAM :rolleyes:

springscansing
Jun 5, 2003, 12:24 AM

Flynnstone
Jun 5, 2003, 12:31 AM
iBook

If you touch it, its dirty.

Maybe they can make a sealed one. Then throw it into the dishwasher every night to clean it.
Probably only get washed once a week (if lucky) with the bachelors :D

Wardofsky
Jun 5, 2003, 12:40 AM

shadowfax
Jun 5, 2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by springscansing
iChat. i'll second this. that product is the most mediocre piece of software i have ever seen. it's not bad bad, it's mediocre. they screwed up so many basic features it's insane. it works, which is the problem. if it didn't work, they would have fix it. as it is, people who are away show up as idle, you can't see all of long away messages... it's just so buggy and crappy. and what's worse--every other chat program has some defect that makes it even more annoying for me to use, such as adium's lack of support for viewing away messages at all without IMing a person.

wrc fan
Jun 5, 2003, 07:07 AM
I'd say it's either Applework or System 7. Mac OS X Server v1.0 was pretty horrible too. The worst hardware in my opinion is the rev. 1 blue and white. I owned one, and worked at a lab that had a ton of them, and they are all horrible (lots of hard drive corruption, handles breaking off, etc..). The rev. 2 blue and whites on the other hand are fine.

To all the people dissing the LCII and Performas, I'd have to say they are good computers, not great, but I still have friends who's LCIIs and Performas are running, and my IIcx and Mac Classic are still going.

big
Aug 17, 2003, 02:52 AM
marcsiry, I agree, I actually used a IIVX

blogo
Aug 17, 2003, 05:12 AM
They should start putting remote controls with the macs again :rolleyes:

vollspacken
Aug 17, 2003, 05:25 AM
I give the "crappy poo-poo" award to...

*drums*

- the puck mouse!!!

vSpacken

sosumi
Aug 17, 2003, 05:42 AM
The flower-power iMac is the worst thing ever created....

tazo
Aug 17, 2003, 06:00 AM
No this is:

MacFan26
Aug 17, 2003, 07:06 AM
What about the twentieth anniversary Mac? It wasn't necessarily a bad product, but definitely the one people probably don't remeber. Although, in some episodes of Seinfeld you can see one on Jerry's desk. :)

mvc
Aug 17, 2003, 08:26 AM
No Question, the Hockey Puck mouse is a clear big time loser. It encapsulates almost perfectly all the worst aspects of aesthetic driven industrial design with no redeeming usability features. It is a triumph of form over function.

Nothing about this product was good. It was impossible to accurately mouse with it, the ball tracked poorly as the whole mousebody rotated in your hand like some out-of-control helicopter with no tail, or worse, scooted entirely out of your grip like a greasy bar of soap.

All my kids hated it despite Apple promoting it as a perfect fit for their hands.

This product clearly was never tested by anyone with half a brain at Apple before it went onto production, and we were all lumbered with years of scorn and derision from the PC crowd as we flailed about trying to get some work done with this poxy orb.

-5,000,000 points for that one Apple. I think the designer of this loathsome disc should volunteer to have one inserted where the sun doesn't shine.

mvc
Aug 17, 2003, 08:36 AM
Just read back thru the thread and I think the hockey puck is the clear winner. And to all of you who say its a great mouse, I just wannna see those hands of yours, because I reckon you'd have to be some sort of 3 fingered alien mutant love-child to fully appreciate that device.

No offence intended to any genuine 3 fingered aliens who might be reading this thread from Beta 3 Fingerus or whatever. ;)

ZeppelinArmada
Aug 17, 2003, 08:41 AM
The puck never caught on fire, nor did it melt or come from apple broken. It didn't have a habit of being fried during power surges or dying randomly. It would not get hot and leak a caustic orange substance nor would it fall apart if you picked it up. In my opinion the lack of these features is what really condemns the puck, because if it had any of them, I wouldn't have to use them at school.

mvc
Aug 17, 2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by ZeppelinArmada
The puck never caught on fire, nor did it melt or come from apple broken. It didn't have a habit of being fried during power surges or dying randomly. It would not get hot and leak a caustic orange substance nor would it fall apart if you picked it up. In my opinion the lack of these features is what really condemns the puck, because if it had any of them, I wouldn't have to use them at school.

YESSS - That's the bit I missed, the damn thing wouldn't die, it was a robust, ubiquitous inconvenience, like the influenza virus or airport security checks.

jtown
Aug 17, 2003, 12:47 PM
No question in my mind. The LC. A friend had one in college and it was so pathetic it couldn't even handle the 19,200bps serial connection in his dorm. That thing was a Luser.

applemacdude
Aug 17, 2003, 01:27 PM

The Performa 6400 was pretty good. But the worst in my opinion was the LCII crippled. Along with the LC, IIvx, 6100, and the 6xxx Perfroma line exept the 6360. What else? Oh yeah the overpriced fruity ibooks, the 500mhz powermac g4's and the first rev imac( 28.8k modem, 2mb vram, skmpy software package)

ima_pseudonym
Aug 17, 2003, 01:55 PM
Performa 6300 series.

Apple monitors from the mid-90's era - they had a really high failure rate.

The pre-recall powerbook 5300 is a close runner up, even though its tendency to catch on fire was overhyped.

tjwett
Aug 17, 2003, 02:31 PM
i think the 14" iBook is just a nightmare and a mistake.

mstecker
Aug 17, 2003, 02:32 PM
I'll cast my vote for the original "suitcase" Macintosh Portable.

That being said, I'd still love to own one. I can put it on the shelf with my Newtons.

M.

tazo
Aug 17, 2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by mstecker
I'll cast my vote for the original "suitcase" Macintosh Portable.

That being said, I'd still love to own one. I can put it on the shelf with my Newtons.

M.

I dont know why people are bashing mac portables....think of the 'portable' alternatives at the time :D

MacsRgr8
Aug 17, 2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by tjwett
i think the 14" iBook is just a nightmare and a mistake.

I agree the 14" isn't the most elegant Mac ever made, but calling it a nightmare is going a bit too far, in my opninion.
Many around me bought the iBook 14" because of its "perfect" size, and relative cheapness.
I have the 12" iBook (700 Mhz), and I love it! But my boss (> 50 years), fell in love with the 14". Why? One simple reason: He could read everything on the display. He didn't want a "huge" 17" PB, or the "too small" 12' PB.... he wanted the "perfect 14" iBook"....

I think this thread isn't about opinion, but about facts.
The hockey puck mouse was functionally NOT a good mouse! OMG, the company who made ths mouse standard on a computer, messed it up! That's a BAD product.
The Performa 6XXX (series, especially the 6200) had a pretty bad NICs installed. If you plugged the thernet cable in, chances were you unplugged the NIC itself.... Another BAD product.

My vote goes to the hockey puck mouse.

ColoJohnBoy
Aug 17, 2003, 06:04 PM
That god-awful hockey puck called "mouse". It hurt my hand to use the bloody thing. They would be better suited as props in a cheap scifi movie than as office tools.

Perhaps I'll find one and burn it in effigy.

Nice idea. But so was "Reaganomics".

mcsandwich
Aug 17, 2003, 07:43 PM
All this discussion, and no mention of Quicktime 4?!

http://digilander.libero.it/chiediloapippo/Engineering/iarchitect/qtime.htm

The Good: Quicktime 4 paved the way for Aqua.

The Bad: No one understood that Quicktime 4 was paving the way for Aqua. And it still had some serious flaws, most of which were corrected in 5 and 6.

mrjamin
Aug 17, 2003, 07:46 PM
i hate to say it but i hate the current pro-mouse more than the hockeypuck ones - atleast you can click+drag them over a long distance! with the promouse you have to use both hands to make sure the button's still depressed when you pick up the mouse to move it to the other side of the mousemat.

big
Aug 17, 2003, 07:59 PM
I've never had any problem getting with Apple's bandwagon on different, mouse designs. They have all worked very well with me for Architecture.

I think 10.0 really bites the big one, as well as 8.5, only because they really were so aweful.

10.2 is good, but we from what I am seeing in Panther, I will definatly be buying that upgrade

(my #1 item is the graphite basestation that just overheated though)

windwaves
Aug 17, 2003, 08:17 PM
the G4

tazo
Aug 17, 2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by windwaves
the G4

LOL not that you're not entitled to an opinion but back your statement up with logic or even an opinion :D

ibookin'
Aug 17, 2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by mrjamin
atleast you can click+drag them over a long distance! with the promouse you have to use both hands to make sure the button's still depressed when you pick up the mouse to move it to the other side of the mousemat.

I just did that with my Pro Mouse with one hand...

I like my Pro Mouse. Sure, I wouldn't buy the thing seperately (costs too much for what it is), but it's good enough that I didn't buy a new mouse for my G4 iMac.

Mercury
Aug 17, 2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by MacFan26
What about the twentieth anniversary Mac? It wasn't necessarily a bad product, but definitely the one people probably don't remeber. Although, in some episodes of Seinfeld you can see one on Jerry's desk. :)

Oh man, the Smoke & Mirrors is one of the best Apple computers ever. A bit overpriced, perhaps, but this was a true Apple luxury computer, with beautiful LCD and built-in speakers. A nice, pristine, dark computer. I wish I had one.

NavyIntel007
Aug 17, 2003, 11:42 PM
Honestly, every product before 2001 was garbage in my opinion (with the exception of the Pismo). Of course, that was when I was a very biased PC owner.

So in my 2 years of owning a mac, the worst Apple products I've actually used are....

hardware... hockey puck mouse.
software.... OS 10.0

Dishonerable mention... OS 9

After buying my iBook 500 I had to use OS 9 to dial up to AOL. OS 10 had no software and was damn slow... but it looked nice.
At the time I was flipping between OS X and Yellow Dog Linux because it was so bad.

MrMacMan
Aug 17, 2003, 11:44 PM
Would Apple's online service, eWorld (http://www.mac512.com/eworld.htm), be considered a failure because it closed after a couple of years, or just a temporary success?

Again, apple failed here because they were before their time, they were like AOL... too many years too soon.

Worst product:
Powerbook Duo Series (210, 230, 250, 280)

Those things weighted Like 15 Pounds!

Oh yeah very 'portable'!

tazo
Aug 18, 2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Again, apple failed here because they were before their time, they were like AOL... too many years too soon.

Worst product:
Powerbook Duo Series (210, 230, 250, 280)

Those things weighted Like 15 Pounds!

Oh yeah very 'portable'!

they still weighed less than modern day dell laptops ;)

/end mac bias :)

Golem
Aug 18, 2003, 02:43 AM
Some machines mentioned here were fine for their time. The cube was good indeed I am waiting for a friend of mine to upgrade in next year or two so I can pick it up for cheap as a collectors item. I have personally used both a 6100/60 and 6100/66 dos and they worked ok.

The apple III was funny it made a audible sound depending on what it was processing and you could hear where a "visicalc"? spreadsheet was up to in its processing. But I wrote in cbasic in those days and had several strange bugs solely on apple III's

The hockey puck mouse... Uggh. I had used apples mice for years, well since 128k:) But the hockey puck lasted 48 hours before i went shopping for a replacement.

10.0.0 wasnt great but at least its software its not like you are stuck with it for years.

For the worst i would have to say LCII or performas. The LCII was a joke compared to the CI I had been using for a couple of years. Not that I was dumb enough to buy 1. Some of the performas were absolute junk. We had a client with 20 6xxx models and kept getting tiny corruptions caused by network traffic. We pointed our finger at other people problems around the world with same model. Client and apple denied any problem until 1 day they tried to get a 5 player Marathon game going, Didnt matter which of the 20 they used a 5th machine would cause game to drop:) Apple replaced all 20.

LimeiBook86
Aug 18, 2003, 02:58 AM

Damn right!! Clamshell Power!!

http://www.homepage.mac.com/ibook238/clamshell_power.html

Hee Hee Hee...

vollspacken
Aug 18, 2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by LimeiBook86
Damn right!! Clamshell Power!!

http://www.homepage.mac.com/ibook238/clamshell_power.html

Hee Hee Hee...

*LOL*

...that is somehow disturbing :eek: ;) :D

vSpacken

LimeiBook86
Aug 18, 2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by vollspacken
*LOL*

...that is somehow disturbing :eek: ;) :D

vSpacken

Exactly, all of my aniamtions are, you should be shocked if they aren't :)

Next Target: Puck Mouse

LimeiBook86
Aug 18, 2003, 08:22 AM
Here ypou are guys...

http://homepage.mac.com/ibook238/puck_mouse.html

:D
-the crazy limey

simX
Aug 18, 2003, 02:20 PM
OK, a few things.

First, the hockey puck mouse is definitely NOT the worst Apple product ever. Get a grip, people. It's not like it killed you or anything to use it! I actually liked it, because it wasn't one of those oversized mice like the stupid Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer (ick!). If you think this is the worst Apple product ever, then you've gone too far into your drug stash. Period. End of story. I don't want to hear any more complaints about the puck mouse, or I will personally come over to your house and replace all the mice in your house with puck mice. Don't force me to do that.

(EDIT: WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! Please be careful and do not slip into the sarchasm! :rolleyes: )

The same goes for Mac OS X 10.0. Yes, it was a lame excuse for a final product. But it was the first version of our now beloved Mac OS X, and it, once and for all, killed the Classic Mac OS' cooperative multitasking and non-protected memory. I kept using Mac OS 9 until Mac OS X 10.1 came out, but Mac OS X was not the worst Apple product ever, either.

One thing that you have to understand about Mac OS X 10.0 is that Apple had to get a product out. The Copland/Rhapsody/Mac OS X had been going on for almost a decade, and Apple had originally planned to have Mac OS X in late 1999. Letting it slip a year and a half does not inspire confidence in your customers and developers. Apple had no choice but to ship Mac OS X 10.0 when it was shipped, with all of the bugs and sluggishness. If Apple hadn't, they'd be stuck in the neverending "we're releasing it soon, but let us fix it" cycle forever, and Panther would not be coming out anytime soon. I cannot stress enough how IMPORTANT it was for Apple to forcibly boot Mac OS X 10.0 out the "released" door, no matter how unready it was.

Lastly, THE CUBE WAS NOT THE WORST APPLE PRODUCT EVER, EITHER. Sheesh, whoever said this is totally out of their mind. It was a design marvel, because of its compact design, and it's aesthetic beauty (and by the way, the cube is referring to the part of the computer that doesn't include the plastic housing). It's target market didn't exist, though, because it was overpriced, and you had to buy a separate monitor with it. That didn't stop me from buying one, though. ;)

And for those of you that think otherwise, the Cube HAS been officially updated by Apple. It's called the G4 iMac. I mean look: it has the same compact design, it has a same "prosumer" price, and has the same non-expandability. The only difference is that the monitor and power supply are integrated, to make it even more compact than the cube ever was. The only reason the G4 iMac has succeeded where the G4 Cube failed is that they successfully targeted the "prosumer" market correctly. The cube cost around $3000 for monitor plus computer when it first came out. You could get a PowerMac G4 for the same price. The flat-panel iMac, however, is priced at $1799 for monitor AND computer, for which you CANNOT get a PowerMac. That small difference is of tantamount importance. The G4 iMac is basically the updated G4 Cube, even though the similarities in appearance aren't that striking.

So what's my vote for the worst Apple product ever?

I think I'd have to vote for the Power Macintosh 5000 series. The 5200 LC was especially painful. While they seemed like nice products since they were all-in-one, and came with a CD-ROM drive and floppy drive built in, I had to personally fix so many of those freakin' things at the school that I worked. The most common problem was Ethernet cards being shot. I had bunches of problems with the monitors, and Mac OS 8.1 was the latest system we could reliably run on them, since Mac OS 8.5 and later would run doggedly slow. I swear, I had to repair more of those damn things than any other computer.

The Power Macintosh 5400 and 5500s were a bit better, and much faster, but they didn't improve much in reliability.

Uck, please don't make me touch another of those things again! *cries*

patrick0brien
Aug 18, 2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by simX
I think I'd have to vote for the Power Macintosh 5000 series.

-simX

Thank you for your contibution.

However, I need to ask you to watch yourself with the rest of your post. Telling others that their opinions are invalid simply because they do not agree with yours is way out of line. First off, arguing opinions is a useless affair as we all have them, and are entitled to them. You do not have the right, nor the means to negate that.

To then complicate your error in judgment with derogatories like "Get a grip, people.", "you've gone too far into your drug stash", etc. only hurts your cause because that allows those you are preaching to to formulate negative opinions of you - and disregard your opinions just as you have other's opinions.

You may be insulting, by proxy, those you are talking to.

Get off your horse, stop, listen, and be constructive.

simX
Aug 18, 2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-simX

Thank you for your contibution.

However, I need to ask you to watch yourself with the rest of your post. Telling others that their opinions are invalid simply because they do not agree with yours is way out of line. First off, arguing opinions is a useless affair as we all have them, and are entitled to them. You do not have the right, nor the means to negate that.

To then complicate your error in judgment with derogatories like "Get a grip, people.", "you've gone too far into your drug stash", etc. only hurts your cause because that allows those you are preaching to to formulate negative opinions of you - and disregard your opinions just as you have other's opinions.

You may be insulting, by proxy, those you are talking to.

Get off your horse, stop, listen, and be constructive.

Geez, I thought my statements were out there enough that the smell of sarcasm would be caught. I guess I just created a sarchasm instead... :rolleyes:

Plus, it's not like I was saying, "No you're wrong!" and leaving it at that... I explained why.

mms
Jun 1, 2004, 07:32 PM
Another vote for hockey puck mouse. Horrible ergonomics.
I can't comment on anything too long ago because I'm too young to remember, but in terms of software, the vote goes to either AppleWorks or iChat. AppleWorks sucks and although it was meant to be, there is no way that will replace MS Office anytime soon. The only MS product I have on my computer is Office just because there aren't any good alternatives to it. As for iChat, I just dislike the interface. I'm sure many other feel differently, and I know its the best for A/V messaging, but for simple text IMing, Adium is such a better alternative.

jywv8
Jun 1, 2004, 08:18 PM

Ha ha. I've owned 4 of the computers on this list (Mac Classic, PB 150, LCII, Wallstreet), and I thought they were all great while I had them!

Rezet
Jun 1, 2004, 09:55 PM
Now who the hell digged this over 1 year old thread out? :confused: :rolleyes: :)

jaw04005
Jun 1, 2004, 10:24 PM
The hockey puck mouse!

No way, I loved the hockey puck mouse and currently still use it even with my new macs. I vote for the keyboard that shipped w/ the hockey puck mouse. The iMac and Powermac G3 keyboard was awful, it was practically a notebook keyboard----far worse than the innocent hockey puck ;) Although, it did have that cool Power On button ;)

Daveman Deluxe
Jun 1, 2004, 10:45 PM
I'd have to go with the LC II as Apple's worst product ever. It was basically a LC with a 25 MHz '030 processor instead of a 16 MHz '020. Due to the fact that it was still running on a 16-bit bus, speed improvements were barely noticeable. The LC III was much better.

The PowerBook 5300 is also near the top of my list.

Jonathan Amend
Jun 1, 2004, 11:18 PM
Since this is a thread about the worst apple PRODUCT ever, not just computers. you all forgot the product that makes all the things above look amazing.

The Pippin@World has to be apples biggest failure product ever!

aethier

I agree... it's Apple's Microsoft Bob (google it, if you dare).

Runner up: iMac puck mouse.

7on
Jun 1, 2004, 11:54 PM
I say the TAM was the worst.

BurntCalc
Jun 2, 2004, 12:09 AM
The hockey puck mouse!

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a winner!

virividox
Jun 2, 2004, 01:34 AM

eworld was pretty cool when it was up, i liked the whole gui community idea, i was pretty young at the time and my uncle would show me how to work it i thot it was the best thing in the world

Doctor Q
Jun 2, 2004, 01:46 AM
It's really weird finding you quoting something today (06-01-2004) that I posted over a year ago (05-18-2003). I didn't even remember tracking down that eWorld village picture. But bits in cyberspace live a long shelf life!

Golem
Jun 2, 2004, 02:25 AM
Eworld was just bad timing as it was overtaken by the internet, a couple of years early it would have been brilliant a year or two later and they wouldnt have bothered starting it.

But any modern apple software product where all you have to complain about it disliking the interface is a far cry from such horrors as open transport 1.0 which only seemed to work when the wind was blowing from the right direction.

Macky-Mac
Jun 2, 2004, 03:07 AM
a bad mouse as their worst product?!?!?

well, if that's the worst they've done then i would have to say they haven't made so many bad products after all

oh, I'm still using my hockey puck after 4 years - I even have other mice just sitting around unused cuz they aren't so much better really

TBR
Jun 2, 2004, 04:41 AM
God I hated that hocky puck mouse, half the time you don't know which way was up!

BrianKonarsMac
Jun 2, 2004, 05:04 AM
the single button mouse...worst idea ever...yet they still use it today.

bradz_id
Jun 2, 2004, 05:06 AM
THE FLOWERY IMACS!!!

whooleytoo
Jun 2, 2004, 05:40 AM
I had absolutely no problem with the puck mouse and I used one for 4 years. In my oppionion it's the best mouse you can get if you want one that moves very very freely on any surface and is very light. It is also very easy to pick and click while holding it without having to put it down.

I know this isn't a thread to get defensive on, but I agree with you. As someone who suffers from RSI in my wrist, it's one of the most comfortable for me - as it's flat (no bending up of the wrist) small (can be held/moved by just the fingers, instead of the entire hand), with a wide button (so finger placement is very natural).

blue&whiteman
Jun 2, 2004, 06:18 AM
I vote for the powerbook 5300 series. they were the first powerbooks with ppc cpus. almost all of them got cracks in the cases and few of them even caught on fire.

Mord
Jun 2, 2004, 06:22 AM
G4 Cube.

go say that to the forums in www.cubeowner.com

wtf are you talking about He is talking proformance wise

I kill your cat

I was playing halo on my cube just this morning and it is very playable

any mac with a geoport modem gets my vote

Mord
Jun 2, 2004, 06:31 AM
It's all a matter of opinion.

Cube - crappy power switch, cracks in the case, lack of a fan (but mounts for it..? wtf?), lack of expandability, and overpriced. sexy, sure. who cares? still didn't make it a good machine, or a good selling one.

hmm lack of expandibility?

my cube: radon 7500 dual 500MHz g4, 1.5gigs o'ram and a 7200rpm 120gig HD they are every bit expandble as a g4 tower with an exeption of pci and extra hard drive bays which hardly anyone used.

people have upgraded them with radeon 9800's dual 1.2Ghz g4's

the power button thing was mainly because of static building up in the enclosior you just have to touch ground (radiator or such) and the cube and your away.

cracks in the case yes i have one but it took me long enough to find it only the most perfectionist person would care

how can you say lack of a fan is a bad thing?
the bracket is for future revisions that never arrived and it is jolly usefull when installing an UPGRADE

it's beutifull well desighned fast upgradeable dont bash it if you havent had first hand experience

blue&whiteman
Jun 2, 2004, 06:37 AM
I vote for the keyboard that shipped w/ the hockey puck mouse. The iMac and Powermac G3 keyboard was awful, it was practically a notebook keyboard----far worse than the innocent hockey puck ;) Although, it did have that cool Power On button ;)

I still have my original mini-keyboard that came with my b&w and it still works fine after almost 5 years. the puck mouse died after about 2 years. I never really used the buttons it was missing anyway. its not an unreliable product at all.

patrick0brien
Jun 2, 2004, 02:01 PM
I agree... it's Apple's Microsoft Bob (google it, if you dare).

Runner up: iMac puck mouse.

-Jonathan

Microsoft Bob was a Microsoft product that was to have a Mac port - not an Apple product.

And yes, it was awful - especially that MS tried to Copyright the proper noun "Bob" in the process.

Jonathan Amend
Jun 2, 2004, 02:07 PM
-Jonathan

Microsoft Bob was a Microsoft product that was to have a Mac port - not an Apple product.

And yes, it was awful - especially that MS tried to Copyright the proper noun "Bob" in the process.

I didn't say it was an Apple product. I just mentioned it because both Microsoft Bob and the Pippin are horrible failures that are remembered by few.

yoman
Jun 2, 2004, 02:26 PM
The hockey puck mouse!

I add my vote the the puck mouse as well.

Coolvirus007
Jun 2, 2004, 02:28 PM
I totally agree with the round shaped ball mouse. short cord, constant cleaning, hard to hold, they (apple) were just trying to make it show out of the crowd and this went to far.

7on
Jun 2, 2004, 03:00 PM
I hope you know that cord was meant to be plugged into the keyboard... So if you kept your mouse next to the keyboard it's not entirely that short.

My only beef with Apple mice is the price. I don't expect to play over $30 for a mouse (and even then it's pushing it). I don't mind the one button and all, it fulfills the idea of simplicity at it's finest. The price still buggers me.

I'm still holding the TAM in first just because of the price. It had to be a joke right? It was a desktop with a trackpad for crying out loud.

TAM (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4610&item=4134167348&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

tamara6
Jun 2, 2004, 03:08 PM
No one has mentioned the cool looking Apple display that can't be hooked up to most computers. I don't remember its name, but it was a CRT and the back was clear plastic, so you could see all of its components. I think it was 17". But it is an analog unit that uses an ADC plug. It will only work with Macs with ACD plugs. Not powerbooks - it doesn't work with the dvi-adc adapter. Not pcs, or macs with VGA or only DVI out - the adapters just don't work. It is a beautiful, but useless, monitor :(

dxp4acu
Jun 2, 2004, 03:20 PM
802.11b wireless was shipping and available before Apple entered the game in 1999. The technology used by Apple was Lucent's WaveLAN which shipped a year earlier (and was installed in my laptop that same year). ALL 802.11b had interoperability issues back then.

I will give Apple cudos for taking the lead in marketing 802.11b. But, the Airport was basically an x86 processor with a Lucent WaveLAN card shoved into it.

Any claim to being revolutionary must be limited to marketing and packaging.

That's ridiculous!! You can say others had the opportunity to use wireless, which is granted, as 802.11b is just a standard (so anyone can use it), but Apple was the first company to use it as a main part of their systems.

How else can you explain Intel's 2003 marketing of Centrino? wow, had no one ever realized wireless had been around for 4 years? That commercials made me puke. Intel brought us wireless. Thanks, Intel!

Hemingray
Jun 2, 2004, 03:52 PM
In my opinion, by far the worst product was the IIfx. Not because of its performance, per se, but because of the price. It cost almost $11,000, and was all but obsolete within something like 6 months. My dad was one of the unfortunate ones who sprung for one.

snooziums
Jun 2, 2004, 04:23 PM
In my opinion, by far the worst product was the IIfx. Not because of its performance, per se, but because of the price. It cost almost $11,000, and was all but obsolete within something like 6 months. My dad was one of the unfortunate ones who sprung for one.

However, for that one short moment, the Macintosh actually had a faster processor (in MHz) then the Intel world did. That alone was worth it.

It would be like if Apple was to have a 3.6 GHz G5 for $15,000. Yeah, no one could afford it, however it would give Apple bragging rights to the fastest processor in terms of MHz, something it has not had since the IIfx in 1990.

leghorn
Jun 3, 2004, 11:12 AM
Wow this is an old thread, it's been over a year since I've posted. Since I left the cushy IT job where I had three or four hours of internet time a night.

I see I pushed for the .mac/ iTools as the worst Apple product. At the time the fact iTools went from free to .mac paid service was still fresh.

I still think it's pretty horrible, maybe not as a product (I don't use it), but as how it seemed to be included with the OS. And then having to pay for a part of the OS annually. Well...Ok...I'm through complaining.

itsa
Jun 3, 2004, 11:55 AM
4 words! ONE BUTTON MOUSE
Oh I guess that's 3 words, Maybe I forgot to add something.

ingenious
Jun 3, 2004, 12:20 PM
G4 Cube.

Hey! the cubes were awesome!

I would have to say that the G3 all in one was the worst.

Sir_Giggles
Jun 3, 2004, 12:27 PM
Now, my vote for The Worst Ever Apple Product goes to... the hockey-puck mouse. It felt uncomfortable in everyone's hands, it was ball-based, flimsy, the cord was too short, the cord looped itself and in the end it gave all single-button mice a bad name.

Not to mention it made the loudest clicking sound of any mice I've ever used. Totally unusable at night when everyone else is sleeping nearby.

Peej
Jun 3, 2004, 12:55 PM

I'd have to agree-the LCII was the biggest dog. Ugly all around, and slower than molasses in january. It was the computer you gave your kids so they'd watch more TV.

FoxyKaye
Jun 3, 2004, 02:29 PM
Here's my pics for "worst episode ever" from Apple:

1. The "hockey-puck" mouse - can you say, anti-ergonomic?
2. The entire Performa lineup - talk about hobbled.
3. System 7.x.x. - after Apple released its umpteenth revision (fixing some bugs and creating new ones in the process), we started calling it 7-point-"pi" in homage to the great unending integer. I know System 7 introduced some important features, but I believe System 8.x kicked its ass.

Just my $.02 :D

MacFan26
Jun 3, 2004, 07:39 PM
What about the PowerBook 5300c? (The one that caught on fire) I'd have to say that was the worst. And some of the old PowerMac moniters. The ones with speakers on the sides, geez, I hated those.

JLaFrance
Jun 5, 2004, 09:20 AM
My "hockey puck" mouse still serves me well on my iMac. 6 years and running.

qubex
Jun 5, 2004, 02:21 PM
I'm rather new to the Mac world, having bought my first G4 PowerMac in January 2003. So I don't have any real experience of these horrors except some dim memories of System 7.1 running on Colour Classics and LCIIs at school, and those are not happy memories.

Anyway, my vote goes to the awful "iMac" style minature flat keyboard and the de rigeur "puck" mouse. Those really held me back from Switching (before the term even cropped up in Apple Marketing Vernacular). Just the other day I was at an internet cafè using one of those awful flat "poxy orbs" and within 15 minutes my wrist was hurting. The keyboards were simply absurd, especially for someone such as myself who does an inordinate amount of typing etc.

It is only after the introduction of the Apple Pro mouse and the Apple Pro keyboard, and the removal of OS9, that I began to consider the Mac as a viable platform.

So that must be my hate-list: Puck, flat keyboard, and OS9 (and all 'Classic' OSes).

And now for the pedantic remark:

System 7.x.x. - after Apple released its umpteenth revision (fixing some bugs and creating new ones in the process), we started calling it 7-point-"pi" in homage to the great unending integer.

"Integer" means a "whole number". Since it is well known that Pi is not an integer because it has a decimal expansion, it is a real. In actual fact, it is an "irrational" (because it cannot be expressed as a ratio) transcendental number.

e-coli
Oct 8, 2004, 12:13 PM
The Apple in-ear headphones. Simply terrible design. You'd think they'd know that a wedge has a tendency to always push itself out.

Awful.

dross
Oct 8, 2004, 12:53 PM
If you want to go way back... i would say the III. Compared to the II+ it was a dog and never realy worked right. I guess that is why the went to the IIe and killed the line.

rhodescholar
Oct 8, 2004, 01:19 PM
Ok, here goes, imho:

(1) the powermac 8500/180, which was a complete abomination, a piece of dung if there ever was. A defective motherboard basically prevented audio apps from working properly, and just try opening the box. You were almost guaranteed to slice your hand.

Almost left apple after that one.

(2) the apple laserwriters. remember them? About 4 times the price of the competition for the same product?

(3) the round mouse probably is the closest 3rd, since so many people had the "pleasure" of using one.

But i am still bitter over the 8500/180, as i had such high expectations for it, and it sucked completely. Had it like 6 months to a year before replacing it.

Mechcozmo
Oct 8, 2004, 01:22 PM
I once used a Performa...nothing too bad. Definatly not the best but not the worst either. I would vote for:

1. Hockey Puck Mouse. I never liked it, hard to use, and it only looked nice with the original iMacs.

2. The Power Mac 8000AV series. Ever tried upping the RAM in one of those? You needed to removed the motherboard. :eek: Smart move Apple...cut my fingers on that one. :mad:

3. The Cube and the Newton lines go under the "belly-flop" category but because I would like both of them, I do not consider them horrible products.

4. AIO (All in one) G3 (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g3/stats/powermac_g3_233_aio.html). It was an all-in-on G3 computer, beige, sold only to schools (the original eMac you might say), had 3 PCI slots but only BaseT-10 Ethernet. Also, they were really underpowered...233Mhz and 266Mhz. And they did not have SCSI hard drives...EIDE. The precursor to Ultra-ATA (what most PCs have now as well as the PowerMac G4s), EIDI had a slower transfer rate that (Ultra) ATA/33, as well as a slower transfer rate than SCSI hard drives. You can pick them up on ebay now...

wdlove
Oct 8, 2004, 01:57 PM
My vote would be for the Lisa. Overall Apple has done very well.

jtgotsjets
Oct 8, 2004, 02:49 PM

my LCII rocks! ::sigh:: my first computer... how i miss the days of reversi and kidpix.

Santiago
Oct 8, 2004, 02:53 PM
I really do think it's hard to beat the Pippin for suck-factor. It was a horribly overpriced junky console, and did anything other than SuperMarathon ever get released for it?

Lord Blackadder
Oct 8, 2004, 03:02 PM
I would vote for the Performa 5xxx series, which were complete sh*te. Deliberately hobbling a computer to shift surplus parts is very naughty.

Those of you casting aspersions on G3/G4 machines - I think that Apple's worst days - and products - preceded the introduction of the G3.

jtgotsjets
Oct 8, 2004, 03:16 PM
BY FAR
The current 1.8 Ghz G5!

I mean, it can only access 4 gigs of RAM! Talk about crippled!

Doctor Q
Oct 8, 2004, 04:17 PM
BY FAR
The current 1.8 Ghz G5!

I mean, it can only access 4 gigs of RAM! Talk about crippled!I'll give you points for being a long-range thinker! :)

EminenceGrise
Oct 8, 2004, 05:04 PM
A few comments first:

The Portable - nobody disses my Portable, NOBODY! ;) It may have been big, weighed a ton, and cost too much, however it has the following redeeming qualities that IMHO save it from the Apple scrapheap:

Real keyboard, with the real Alps keyswitches - same as the Apple Extended Keyboard (I and II) - and the Control key was in the right place.

Real, billiard ball sized trackball that could be configured for right or left handed use by swapping it around with the keyboard.

Battery life that puts every modern computer to shame - 6 to 12 hours (on the non-backlit model).

Yes, I have one of these, and no you can't have it. Didn't buy it new though, got it for free from somewhere I don't recall now (even have the carry case! hahaha). Currently needs a replacement battery to run (won't run off of the original power adapter alone, a known design issue - supposedly a Powerbook 100 power adapter will work, but I don't have one of those either). An interesting note is that the Powerbook 100 is a miniaturized version of the Portable that Sony came up with.

The Powerbook Duo - it did not weigh "15 pounds" (that honor was reserved for the Portable!). It was about 5.5-6 pounds and was The Original Sub-Notebook. The Duo Dock was pure genius - plug in the Duo to the Dock (the slot was motorized!) and your notebook became a full desktop computer with 2 NuBus slots (!) and a place (in the dock) for an additional hard drive, along with all of the standard desktop ports and the standard auto-inject floppy drive. An AAUI port was added for the Dock+ and Dock II. Shut down the Duo in the dock, and press the "Eject" button - your notebook popped out ready for travel! There is still nothing that compares to it to this day. The only fault was the keyboard on early models was a bit of a pain to type on. I had one of these too (a Duo 230, and 2300, along with the Duo Dock), but it was sold a few years back to pay for my telescope.

The Mac Classic has one redeeming feature - it had a copy of the System folder in ROM and could therefore boot without an OS installed on the internal hard disk or on a floppy disk inserted in the drive. It was fast too - to boot from ROM that is, not the machine itself. So cool! Cmd-Opt-X-O at boot did it (I think). It was also cheap (for it's day).

The Performa line was a good idea, but poorly executed, like most of Apple's failures.

My nominations for worst Apple product:

-The Non-Auto-Inject floppy drive. This just blew (but did not suck like it should have!). Coupled with the crappy floppy slot design on most of the Macs they put this in, it was a total nightmare. Nothing like having to almost jam your finger into the drive to get it to suck in the disk. No satisfying 'clunk' that sucked in the disk for you - totally craptacular! I'd say it was 'totally sucktacular', but then it wasn't, was it? I for one thank Apple for putting this little debacle out of my misery with the introduction of the iMac.

-The IIvx/PMac 7100: both shared a sucktacular case (it had a painted steel cover, among other things), and were slow beyond compare. I don't blame Carl Sagan for suing Apple over this one (the 7100 code name was 'Carl Sagan'*) - I would too if they named such a piece of crap after me.

*The 7100 started off as the 'Carl Sagan' - Sagan didn't like that because the other code names in development at the time were 'Piltdown Man' and 'Cold Fusion', well known scientific frauds. After the lawsuit the 'Carl Sagan' became the BHA or LAW model (depending on preference) - i.e. "Butt Headed Astronomer" or "Lawyers Are Wimps".

OldManJimbo
Oct 8, 2004, 06:57 PM
I've read through most of this thread and would like to present an alternative viewpoint.

From my perspective, it is impossible to have a "worst" product when you are striving for innovation. No company that is constantly pushing the edges should be branded as having a "worst" product.

Were the Newton, Lisa, Cube (etc) less-than-stellar performers? Yes. But at least the company was moving into uncharted territory.

Companies that ALWAYS have a success with EVERY new product idea are companies that are too cautious.

I applaud Apple for having the guts to stick its corporate neck out for a new concept. Imagine where we'd be if they hadn't attempted to live the vision of their "1984" TV commercial - HERE'S TO THE MISFITS.

MacUser4_20
Oct 8, 2004, 07:31 PM
In my opinion.
Apple has never produced a bad product, as someone will always love something about each one. On a positive note about Apple products, they have ALWAYS been a step ahead the competition, and have always listened to consumer responses. You do not get to where they are now from building within the box. You have to step out of the box and be different for growth and consumers to notice you. Apple has accomplished this and, as always, is lightyears ahead of the rest... Lead not follow.

Macs R Us
Oct 8, 2004, 07:38 PM
You all are crazy... The Lisa, Apple III, Newton, 5300, puck mouse a great... Not only cuse they make me money, they were great products... I think the 5300 AC Power Adapter is the WORST, definlty not the PB it self!

Macmaniac
Oct 8, 2004, 09:06 PM
The one button mouse has to go, it was great during the Plus era, but not during the era of websites, and gaming. Time to get off the pedestal Apple.

panic
Oct 8, 2004, 09:12 PM
i'm only going to judge products i've actually used:

circle mouse: very uncomfortable, always moved sideways, cord was too short.

safari: i've never had real good luck with safari, it's quick and has nice features, but seems to be pretty unstable for me. i'm not really like the average computer user, i at times have 20 or so pages opened up at a time, i'll usually keep them open overnight so i can read them the next day or so. i also browse all kinds of sites, and from my experience.. safari is very unreliable.

and as always, just my two(2) cents ;)

iceTrX
Oct 9, 2004, 12:18 AM
Of all the apple products I have used/owned (too many to list), I'd have to say the Performa 6200CD was the worst. VERY slow with its 8MB of Ram (It was hundreds of dollars to upgrade it). It came with system 7.5(I think?), worst Apple OS ever.

paxtonandrew
Oct 9, 2004, 12:36 AM
As has been said, the Lc series, which was a 'dog' of a series, and I am inclined to agree with them. I have a LC2, which I am too ashamed to mention to anybody, and I ended up giving it to my Dad, after a quick stint using it, and took the plunge and got a Lc 575. Great computer, still works today, if I can find the ADB mouse...

I am using my Hockey Puck mouse on my PowerBook now. I have to say, my Logitech 'first wheel' is a much better and more comfortable mouse than the 'puck', but the mouse is far from being unusable.

The biggest Dog Apple has ever made is 10.0 whick is way off being stable, and i still dual/quad boot my PowerMac into the early OsX's to see what we have moved up too. Thank god for Expose.

bousozoku
Oct 9, 2004, 01:51 AM
There were a lot of good machines, a lot of so-so machines, but not many really bad machines. Other products have been pretty good.

The Apple III was probably the worst selling machine but only after businesses learned how it wasn't a real step up. The Lisa only sold well to a few, mostly those doing research. The LC series were huge compromises, attempting to bring a consumer-level computer to Apple but eventually got some interest going after the LC, LC II, and LC III were gone and the prices dropped immensely. The QuickDraw Acceleration Card was most likely the one thing that Apple needed that cost it way too much because very few people were willing to pay for it. Then, there was my dreaded WallStreet PowerBook 233 without L2 cache. Incompatible, slow, and unloved.

There's my vote: WallStreet PowerBook 233 MHz, zero L2 cache.

wdlove
Oct 9, 2004, 02:14 PM
There were a lot of good machines, a lot of so-so machines, but not many really bad machines. Other products have been pretty good.

There's my vote: WallStreet PowerBook 233 MHz, zero L2 cache.

I had one of those. Thought it was a great machine. My complaint was that is was so heavy to carry it around, especially when I had to stand riding the MBTA.

vraxtus
Oct 9, 2004, 04:55 PM
I had one of those. Thought it was a great machine. My complaint was that is was so heavy to carry it around, especially when I had to stand riding the MBTA.

Actually I have to admit that my 266 Wallstreet was perhaps the worst overall PRODUCT (not Apple product specifically) that I ever bought.

I poured about $1600 into repairs for that computer, among them:

A loose / removable sound card / power supply port, respectively,
A broken CD drive,
A broken screen hinge,
A burned out backlight,
Numerous file system problems,
A replaced HD,
About 8 visits to a local Mac repair shop at $50/hr

Thanks Apple :rolleyes:

NusuniAdmin
Oct 9, 2004, 05:05 PM
TAM.

mms
Oct 9, 2004, 05:06 PM
Speaking in terms of software in recent history, I would say AppleWorks and Keynote. I liked ClarisWorks back in the day, but AppleWorks needs a lot of work. No updates in forever, like Keynote, which is stuck at version 1. They're not horrible products. But competition from the undoubtedly superior MS Office and lack of support from Apple's development team has made these the worst of Apple's lineup today.

wPod
Oct 9, 2004, 05:22 PM
um iPhoto!!!! heh cool idea but still has bugs!!!!

Mord
Oct 9, 2004, 05:35 PM
Currently needs a replacement battery to run (won't run off of the original power adapter alone, a known design issue - supposedly a Powerbook 100 power adapter will work, but I don't have one of those either).

if you live in the uk i have a powerbook 100 power adapter thats sitting in a draw somewhere which i'd send to you for £5 +shipping costs

puckhead193
Oct 9, 2004, 07:52 PM
I hated the g4 Cube and the round mouse, how un-comferterable

wdlove
Oct 9, 2004, 07:53 PM
Actually I have to admit that my 266 Wallstreet was perhaps the worst overall PRODUCT (not Apple product specifically) that I ever bought.

I poured about $1600 into repairs for that computer, among them:

A loose / removable sound card / power supply port, respectively,
A broken CD drive,
A broken screen hinge,
A burned out backlight,
Numerous file system problems,
A replaced HD,
About 8 visits to a local Mac repair shop at $50/hr

Thanks Apple :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to hear about your PowerBook problems. It's too bad that you didn't have AppleCare. Luckily I didn't have any hardware problems at all. Just some software conflicts, the IT department where I worked at the time helped me with those. One guy in particular was a Mac Geek, he had a PowerBook also.

zv470
Oct 9, 2004, 09:04 PM
The hockey puck mouse!
heck yeah, undoubtedly one of the worst, I hate to admit but that was before I was a Mac fan, and can you blame me?

We had about 12 G3s at my art school, each had a hockey puck mouse, and they sucked. The G3s also crashed all the time

5300cs
Oct 9, 2004, 09:22 PM
TAM.

That's one of the best Macs I own :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'd like to cast my vote for my 800Mhz G3 iBook because of the logic board problem. Also the iBooks in general because they scratch so easily.

This is just machines that I've used though, I don't know about others, only what I've heard.

Mord
Oct 10, 2004, 06:20 AM
I hated the g4 Cube and the round mouse, how un-comferterable

why do you hate the cube it's the best mac ever i have 2 :P

Blue Velvet
Oct 10, 2004, 07:14 AM
The 'wind-tunnel' MDD G4s.

Yes, I bought one.

And yes, I spent another UK£220 on a fan-kit to shut it up.

They're so noisy because they're so powerful was the rationale from Apple... Yeah, right. Nothing to do with the quality of the fans, then?

Mord
Oct 10, 2004, 07:54 AM
£220 on fans :eek: you know you could have just taken all the fans out looked up the manufacturer got the cfm figures and bought quieter fans from fry's for allot less than £220 (added with the replacement power supply)

verax is good but way overpriced.

iMeowbot
Oct 10, 2004, 04:51 PM
tell corporation "Apple" to set the opinion of the users of the syntax of the scripting language of the operating system of the Macintosh to "evil"