PDA

View Full Version : Why are threads wastelanded for no good reason?

twistedlegato
Jan 23, 2007, 05:33 PM
I see quit a few threads that have nothings bad about them at all just like my Pizza Thread..

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=272604

Why mods? I dont under stand why peoples/my thread deserved to be wastelanded, no mod even put a message for the reason why it was wastelanded also!

The pizza thread was beginning to become very fun and nothing was against the rules so why?

There are much stupider threads that i see go by at times and they just are there, not wastelanded!

Mods, what is the reason, and anytime you do wasteland something can you please make a post telling the reason?!

Zwhaler
Jan 23, 2007, 05:39 PM
I was just looking at the Pizza thread... I agree.

On the other hand... *cough Indian penis size thread cough* :p

I just read through all 4 pages of that one...

But back on subject I agree with you, and that is a good idea that there should be some sort of explanation for threads where it is not already obvious (spam threads, etc) I also agree that this thread will be wastelanded not before long.

twistedlegato
Jan 23, 2007, 05:41 PM
I was just looking at the Pizza thread... I agree.

On the other hand... *cough Indian penis size thread cough* :p

I just read through all 4 pages of that one...

But back on subject I agree with you. I also agree that this thread will be wastelanded not before long.

Wait? That Indian thread was not Wastelanded?

Now THAT IS UNFAIR!!!!

MacNut
Jan 23, 2007, 05:42 PM
First of all this is in the wrong section, Second a thread is wastelanded if the original topic gets out of hand. Like say a thread about pizza turns into a fight about cars.

Blue Velvet
Jan 23, 2007, 05:43 PM
I agree.

I think it's unfair, heavy-handed and also capricious to wasteland threads like the pizza thread that don't immediately and obviously contravene forum rules, without at the very least a mods note saying why.

Zwhaler
Jan 23, 2007, 05:43 PM
Wait? That Indian thread was not Wastelanded?

Now THAT IS UNFAIR!!!!

Read the whole thing. It was getting a little out of hand... but that doesn't mean that it was hillarious! Especially the page where someone drew out the MacRumors Penis size paper (based on your rank) lol

First of all this is in the wrong section, Second a thread is wastelanded if the original topic gets out of hand. Like say a thread about pizza turns into a fight about cars.

Yeah but did you read the thread? That was not the case.

Eraserhead
Jan 23, 2007, 05:44 PM
Except the Pizza thread seemed to stay on topic...

EDIT: Damn totally beaten to it. I'm off to bed.

MacNut
Jan 23, 2007, 05:45 PM
Yeah but did you read the thread? That was not the case.Let me have a look see.:)

...I don't see anything wrong with it. Maybe the pizza shop advertising?

calculus
Jan 23, 2007, 05:47 PM
I thought the pizza thread was a bit of harmless fun - maybe that was the problem. Interesting that at least one mod contributed to it.

twistedlegato
Jan 23, 2007, 05:49 PM
Let me have a look see.:)

...I don't see anything wrong with it. Maybe the pizza shop advertising?

Ok one reason it was closed could have been because i like did ALOT of posts and maybe the mods thought i was spamming, well its not the case i tell you! *Speaking to mods, not to MACNUT*

Zwhaler
I thought the pizza thread was a bit of harmless fun - maybe that was the problem. Interesting that at least one mod contributed to it.

Yeah, it's too bad you lose your posts within a wastelanded topic. Imagine if they got rid of the Post your Mac Setup thread... (7000+ posts in that one)

MacNut
I thought the pizza thread was a bit of harmless fun - maybe that was the problem. Interesting that at least one mod contributed to it.It was certainly cleaner then the Lube™ thread.:p

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 23, 2007, 06:05 PM
Man, the pizza thread got wastelanded...? :eek:

That's rubbish... :mad:

This thread on the other hand... ;)

bousozoku
Jan 23, 2007, 06:10 PM

I'm not sure why it was sent to Wasteland, either. Occasionally, there are spam hole threads like that. The only reason I can think that it was moved was that there was an older thread about it.

This one is moving to Feedback.

nickster9224
Jan 23, 2007, 06:19 PM
Yea seriously the pizza thread is better than the "What to do with pictures of your ex thread"

twistedlegato
Jan 23, 2007, 06:40 PM
I'm not sure why it was sent to Wasteland, either. Occasionally, there are spam hole threads like that. The only reason I can think that it was moved was that there was an older thread about it.

This one is moving to Feedback.

Can a mod not send it back to the Community Section, and you are a mod, so cant you do that?

MacNut
Jan 23, 2007, 06:44 PM
Can a mod not send it back to the Community Section, and you are a mod, so cant you do that?The wasteland is like a black whole, once it goes there it doesn't come back. (usually)

WildCowboy
Jan 23, 2007, 06:47 PM
Can a mod not send it back to the Community Section, and you are a mod, so cant you do that?

They can come back, but it's awfully rare for one mod to overrule another mod without them having discussed the issue. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a discussion in the moderator forum about this right now.

twistedlegato
Jan 23, 2007, 06:57 PM
They can come back, but it's awfully rare for one mod to overrule another mod without them having discussed the issue. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a discussion in the moderator forum about this right now.

There is a moderator forum in MR? Neat, i hope they bring my thread back or at least give me a reason!

jsw
Jan 23, 2007, 07:26 PM
I agree that a note explaining why a popular thread is wastelanded is usually helpful.

That said, what I think needs to be understood is that there are times when many post reports stack up, someone's trying to get through them, maybe they're busy with real world stuff™, and things fall through the cracks.

I don't know why the Pizza thread was sent away. But the lesson I've learned from this is to try harder to note why I do so when I move things there.
They can come back, but it's awfully rare for one mod to overrule another mod without them having discussed the issue. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a discussion in the moderator forum about this right now.Oh please. Like we really care. We figure a lightning bolt now and then is a good thing and fun to watch. ;)

<note the sig>

twistedlegato
Jan 23, 2007, 07:48 PM
I agree that a note explaining why a popular thread is wastelanded is usually helpful.

That said, what I think needs to be understood is that there are times when many post reports stack up, someone's trying to get through them, maybe they're busy with real world stuff™, and things fall through the cracks.

I don't know why the Pizza thread was sent away. But the lesson I've learned from this is to try harder to note why I do so when I move things there.
Oh please. Like we really care. We figure a lightning bolt now and then is a good thing and fun to watch. ;)

<note the sig>

So your being sarcastic? No wait what?!

And you cant bring the thread back?

jsw
Jan 23, 2007, 07:51 PM
So your being sarcastic? No wait what?!

And you cant bring the thread back?
The last part was sarcastic.

Yes, the thread could be brought back, but I'm unable to discuss with the other mod as to why it was sent there, and I wouldn't arbitrarily bring it back.

My recommendation in the meantime is to move on to other threads. Pizza's been around a long time. It'll still be a food when this is resolved.

bousozoku
Jan 23, 2007, 07:52 PM

I don't know why it went there and until there is some explanation, I'm not going to reverse someone else's decision unless I see something of vital importance.

Knowing people's preference in pizza toppings is not of vital importance. :p

MacNut
Jan 23, 2007, 07:53 PM
Maybe the case can be taken to MacRumors court, and the members can decide its fate.

jsw
Jan 23, 2007, 07:57 PM
Maybe the case can be taken to MacRumors court, and the members can decide its fate.
Or maybe we can all just move along.

I/we understand the point being made here. It will be discussed. But, please, it's just a thread. Until/unless something is done, I'm not sure there's much else to say here.

twistedlegato
Jan 23, 2007, 08:04 PM
Or maybe we can all just move along.

I/we understand the point being made here. It will be discussed. But, please, it's just a thread. Until/unless something is done, I'm not sure there's much else to say here.

I understand. But in the future could you mention to tell all mods to give the reason the certain thread they just closed or wastelanded was done so?

:apple:

MacNut
Jan 23, 2007, 08:06 PM
I understand. But in the future could you mention to tell all mods to give the reason the certain thread they just closed or wastelanded was done so?

:apple:Most times the reason is pretty clear, no need to add to it.

SkyBell
Jan 23, 2007, 08:57 PM
Most times the reason is pretty clear, no need to add to it.

Although in this case, no good reason was given, which is the entire point of the existence of this thread.

MacNut
Jan 23, 2007, 09:01 PM
Most of the stuff in the wasteland doesn't need explanation. The things that do should be explained. But I don't think that everything that gets wastelanded is in need of an explanation from a Mod.

Stridder44
Jan 23, 2007, 09:27 PM
I gotta agree on this one. If you're going to wasteland a thread then you should have to give an explanation for it. It's kind like the way the mods just delete posts. I mean I can understand it if there's racism or something but sometimes they just delete stuff if it seems even a tad off topic. Post-nazis if you will.

SkyBell
Jan 23, 2007, 09:27 PM
Most of the stuff in the wasteland doesn't need explanation. The things that do should be explained. But I don't think that everything that gets wastelanded is in need of an explanation from a Mod.

And the OP's point was that wastelanded thread's should have an explaination, so threads like this don't pop up.

I agree with him/her.

MacNut
Jan 23, 2007, 09:32 PM
And the OP's point was that wastelanded thread's should have an explaination, so threads like this don't pop up.

I agree with him/her.The thread in question should be explained but a thread about poop really doesn't need to be explained why it was wastelanded. Until the Mods give us an explanation there really is no reason to keep debating it.

We can go around and around about why it was tossed but we don't know the facts.

SkyBell
Jan 23, 2007, 10:35 PM
The thread in question should be explained but a thread about poop really doesn't need to be explained why it was wastelanded. Until the Mods give us an explanation there really is no reason to keep debating it.

We can go around and around about why it was tossed but we don't know the facts.

Yeah, a poop thread does not need to be explained. But this one does. All threads should have an explination, even if it was obvious why it was deleted.

AmbitiousLemon
Jan 23, 2007, 11:20 PM
I wastelanded it. Frankly I think its rather obvious why it was wastelanded. 2 reasons:
1) It was a useless spam thread where people post without looking at what other people post. Just a thread for people to post useless info to jack up their post number. There was no discussion.
2) The OP was spamming like crazy. Useless posts, and spamming multiple posts one right after another. I wasn't going to go through and merge them all and the OP didn't care enough to post properly so he was either lazy or just wanted to jack up his post count.

A thread that useless just wasn't worth the time to cleanup and watch/maintain.

If there has been an actual discussion about the topic, and not just spam it would have been different. And I'm getting pretty sick of the people who double, triple, and even quadruple post - there is just no excuse for it.

mad jew
Jan 24, 2007, 12:06 AM
The Wasteland is where all the good threads go. Our replying abilities are cut so we can't ruin their greatness. Well, that's my understanding of the Wasteland.

bousozoku
Jan 24, 2007, 12:19 AM
I gotta agree on this one. If you're going to wasteland a thread then you should have to give an explanation for it. It's kind like the way the mods just delete posts. I mean I can understand it if there's racism or something but sometimes they just delete stuff if it seems even a tad off topic. Post-nazis if you will.

Being a tad off-topic is like being a tad pregnant, isn't it? You're either addressing the topic or you're not.

No one just deletes posts. It takes extra time and effort to do it. We'd rather be opening junk mail or brushing our teeth or cleaning out the garage. It's that much fun.

We do it because we believe in a better place for MacRumors members to go. Who would go stay in a hotel that's broken and unpainted? We care enough to deal with something that's not as much fun as many people think it is.

calculus
Jan 24, 2007, 12:53 AM
Let's settle this by going out for a pizza together;)

bousozoku
Jan 24, 2007, 01:18 AM
Let's settle this by going out for a pizza together;)

We should probably leave the toppings and topics alone. :)

Blue Velvet
Jan 24, 2007, 01:43 AM
We do it because we believe in a better place for MacRumors members to go.

And no-one would dispute that... however, what causes threads like this to occur is lack of communication. You may be our masters but you are also our servants, for without members, this place would wither, and showing a small amount of acknowledgement for people's feelings is just common courtesy.

In the case of the pizza thread and similar threads, if it appears problematic, you don't have to spend ages tinkering with a thread, deleting and merging posts, nannying it into shape. All it takes is a handful of words, perhaps a dozen or so, why the thread is about to be locked or closed and that would be that.

Instead, summarily despatching it without warning comes across as wilful, high-handed and authoritarian and inevitably leaves people asking 'why'? And then, after a fuss, when a defensive and slightly ill-tempered explanation is proffered after the fact, it becomes obvious that doing it beforehand would have avoided the problem in the first place. It's just a matter of tone and style.

Finally, don't mistake criticism as disloyalty. Many of us here, not just the mods, have an interest and a commitment in maintaining the place as it is, suggesting improvements where possible; it's not an exclusive quality of those who pull the levers.

bousozoku
Jan 24, 2007, 01:53 AM
And no-one would dispute that... however, what causes threads like this to occur is lack of communication. You may be our masters but you are also our servants, for without members, this place would wither, and showing a small amount of acknowledgement for people's feelings is just common courtesy.

In the case of the pizza thread and similar threads, if it appears problematic, you don't have to spend ages tinkering with a thread, deleting and merging posts, nannying it into shape. All it takes is a handful of words, perhaps a dozen or so, why the thread is about to be locked or closed and that would be that.

Instead, summarily despatching it without warning comes across as wilful, high-handed and authoritarian and inevitably leaves people asking 'why'? And then, after a fuss, when a defensive and slightly ill-tempered explanation is proffered after the fact, it becomes obvious that doing it beforehand would have avoided the problem in the first place. It's just a matter of tone and style.

Finally, don't mistake criticism as disloyalty. Many of us here, not just the mods, have an interest and a commitment in maintaining the place as it is, suggesting improvements where possible; it's not an exclusive quality of those who pull the levers.

Indeed. It is apparent that explanation is needed for threads where the problem is not clear.

However, being compared to Nazis seems rather inappropriate as criticism.

Blue Velvet
Jan 24, 2007, 01:58 AM
However, being compared to Nazis seems rather inappropriate as criticism.

I did not mention or allude to Nazis or fascism. Others may have but I can't speak for them.

Doctor Q
Jan 24, 2007, 02:06 AM
Claiming that threads are closed or Wastelanded "for no good reason" or that moderators are nazis for removing posts is not the way to make a helpful suggestion or improve these forums. AmbitiousLemon has answered the originally posed question, so I'm closing this discussion.