PDA

View Full Version : How TO BOOT POWERBOOK FROM EXTERNAL DRIVE?

fourthtunz
Jan 24, 2007, 09:30 AM
I have a powerbook 12' 867 mghz, I know I would rather have a new one,:mad: but not ready to give up on this old gal yet! Anywhoo I thought the logic board was fried but after letting the powerbook "rest" I came back months later and sometimes it will boot but as soon as I try to do anything it freezes, so maybe the harddrive is fried? How do you get it to ignore the internal drive so it will boot from an external? I guess I could just pull out the internal one?
ideas? Thanks!:confused:

kainjow
Jan 24, 2007, 09:39 AM
Hold down Option during startup.

fourthtunz
Jan 24, 2007, 10:54 AM
Jeez, I used to know this stuff:o
Thanks!

Probe dms
Feb 26, 2009, 01:45 PM

do i need to boot from a firewire drive or will a usb drive work?

iLog.Genius
Feb 26, 2009, 01:58 PM
USB drive should work.

alphaod
Feb 26, 2009, 02:44 PM
do i need to boot from a firewire drive or will a usb drive work?

Only Intel machines can boot off USB, so you need to use Firewire.

Mechcozmo
Feb 26, 2009, 02:54 PM
You need to boot off of a Firewire drive, formatted in HFS+, with the partition map set to "Apple Partition Map" vs. "GUID" which is for Intel Macs only.

An old iPod is pretty handy for this sort of a thing....

arthur0929
Oct 22, 2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks Mechozmo that's helpful. I've been trying to boot my Powerbook from a USB drive and now thanks to you I'm going to use a Firewire drive.

How do I format my firewire drive so that it's bootable? I have the OS 10.5 install disk. I want to be able to boot from the external drive, then use that drive to reinstall OS 10.5 on the Powerbook hard drive.

For my external drive I can use a firewire drive or my new Macbook Pro laptop connected with firewire.

Thanks!!

NC MacGuy
Oct 22, 2009, 05:56 PM
Not to be silly or anything but why can't you boot from your onboard optical?

It should still work with a fried HDD.

Hold down the C key and insert disk when restarting.

Maybe I missed something?

EDIT:
WTF? This thread is ancient...

Tralmek
Oct 23, 2009, 12:32 PM
EDIT:
WTF? This thread is ancient...

My guess is you're seeing evidence of someone new to the forums actually using the search function ;)

Necro posts are the inherent danger of encouraging searches for problems that have been previously discussed, but not locking threads after a period of inactivity.