PDA

View Full Version : WWDC 2007 June 10-15th?

MacRumors
Jan 24, 2007, 03:32 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Appleinsider believes (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2433) that WWDC 2007 will take place between June 10-15th of this year.

People familiar with the conference planning say the Cupertino-based Mac maker has reserved the dates of June 10th through the 15th for the event, with a keynote presentation by chief executive Steve Jobs slated for Monday the 11th.

Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC) historically has taken place in June, but last year's WWDC was delayed until August 2006 to coincide with Intel Mac Pros and the Leopard Preview.

To corroborate the report one forum posts (http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/362007492831?r=309008592831#309008592831) also claims that Apple's Worldwide Developer Relations indicated that June 10-15th was the date and that an announcement would be coming in February.

superduperjacob
Jan 24, 2007, 03:35 PM
Cannot wait to see what this year's WWDC brings!

WildCowboy
Jan 24, 2007, 03:35 PM
Just checked the Moscone event calendar (http://www.moscone.com/site/do/event/list?nav.type=0&nav.filter=0705&nav.base=0701), and there are no conflicts listed for Moscone West in that time period...

mattbray
Jan 24, 2007, 03:38 PM
Two days before my birthday =).

If iLife, iWork, Leopard and the new Mac Pros are out by then (and they damn well better be :mad: )what's going to be on the agenda? It would have to be either new MBs/MBPs, maybe a C2D Mac Mini or the new iMac...?

-M

Multimedia
Jan 24, 2007, 03:38 PM
That date ensures Leopard ships before June. :)

VanMac
Jan 24, 2007, 03:39 PM
Good News.

The Earlier The Better. :)

Mgkwho
Jan 24, 2007, 03:42 PM
"ensures it will ship" not insures- you're making the common mistake of not associating "insure" with solely finances

Yeah, especially considering the fact that WWDC will have to have made resources available beforehand. But what does this say about hardware? Maybe MacPro won't get a refresh until then, along with xserve.

And based on the assummtion that Apple refreshes its products twice yearly, here's hoping that there will be a refresh a month until then!

Feb- macmini, appletv
March- Leopard, software updates, maybe ipod updates?
April- new displays, iMacs
May- laptop refreshes
June- iphone, MacPro

-=|Mgkwho

SRSound
Jan 24, 2007, 03:43 PM
adobe CS3 & office 2008 bundled with the new octo-core mac pros running leopard!

Multimedia
Jan 24, 2007, 03:47 PM
"ensures it will ship" not insures- you're making the common mistake of not associating "insure" with solely finances

Yeah, especially considering the fact that WWDC will have to have made resources available beforehand. But what does this say about hardware? Maybe MacPro won't get a refresh until then, along with xserve.

And based on the assummtion that Apple refreshes its products twice yearly, here's hoping that there will be a refresh a month until then!

-=|MgkwhoWe on the 8 Core Mac Pro Watch (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3285423&posted=1#post3285423) think Dual Clovertown will announce and ship soon thereafter no later than April 16 NAB Las Vegas - approximately two months before the June WWDC.

phillipjfry
Jan 24, 2007, 03:47 PM
Come on video ipod!

Hmm...now that I think about it, June 11th is still considered Spring. Maybe THEN he will announce Leopard out for sale?

TheBobcat
Jan 24, 2007, 03:51 PM
Hmm... I would think that Apple still has to have an event soon to unveil Leopard and iLife, although this could be when Leopard is actually released.

No iPod announcements either! Jeez.

twoodcc
Jan 24, 2007, 03:52 PM

-M

it's starting on my birthday :)

can't wait! hopefully the iphone will out then as well

Mgkwho
Jan 24, 2007, 03:53 PM
Hmm... I would think that Apple still has to have an event soon to unveil Leopard and iLife, although this could be when Leopard is actually released.

The new consensus is that Apple will release Leopard on March 24th, after a February 20th announcement.
http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/23/apple-special-event-on-february-20th/

And if it's not a consensus, it at least sounds extremely plausible to me. Leopard is apparently winding down in development, enough for early spring rather than late spring. And March 24th is definitely early spring. Plus, I really really want a special event soon on the 20th! I'm like in SE relapse haha, since it will be, what, just over 5 months since the last one?

-=|Mgkwho

mcarnes
Jan 24, 2007, 04:02 PM
Oughtta have 16 cores by then.

TheBobcat
Jan 24, 2007, 04:03 PM
The new consensus is that Apple will release Leopard on March 24th, after a February 20th announcement.
http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/23/apple-special-event-on-february-20th/

Ah yes, an unconfirmed Page 2 report from AppleRecon(?) MUST be gospel.

From what I understand, I find it hard to believe Leopard will be out in about 2 months when a) The "Top Secret" features have yet to surface, and b) It seems people who know what they're doing with the developer builds also feel that Leopard is still a ways off, or at least, not ready for prime time in less than 60 days, not even counting the time to press the discs and ship them.

dashiel
if true this has to be the release date for leopard. now, does apple release information about leopard prior to the event or do we get a "here's neat stuff... shipping today" from jobs.

i'd say unless there's some other big news between now and june then there will have to be some sort of info leaked.

personally i'm hoping for:

official iphone
leopard
announcement that dash code will allow you to export "apps" to iphone
santa rosa based mac book pro

--

btw, there won't be a video ipod for at least a year.
iphone -> june
iphone nano -> october '08

then ipod video

gugy
I am just curios to see if Apple is going to wait until WWDC to introduce the octo-core with a new redesign enclosure and new displays or if they will introduce around NAB in April keeping the same design.
My feeling leans towards WWDC, just because their history of professional updates. But NAB is also a good venue for the same.
Hard call.
I hope memory prices will drop enough so I can get at least 6gig to run this fast beast.
Very excite times ahead for professionals.
It feels also that Leopard might come at WWDC.

Americanloti
Jan 24, 2007, 04:15 PM
I have the idea that the WWDC will be iPhone-centric. As someone already pointed out June is also when the first iPhones will be shipped. I really hope that we don't need to wait until June to get Leopard, but as far as what I'm reading that is not going to happen. I also hope that Steve changes his mind about allowing 3rd Party softaware on the iPhone.

xfiftyfour
Jan 24, 2007, 04:15 PM
iPhone release is pretty obvious...

guzhogi
Jan 24, 2007, 04:16 PM
I'd kinda like to go. Don't know if I could afford to go, but sounds interesting.

koopatroopa
Jan 24, 2007, 04:21 PM
Perfect timing tto release iPhone for real (give one iPhone to everyone in the audience), PLUS 10.5. Wham!

Of course, there will also be one more thing...

Rocketman
Jan 24, 2007, 04:24 PM
We on the 8 Core Mac Pro Watch (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3285423&posted=1#post3285423) think Dual Clovertown will announce and ship soon thereafter no later than April 16 NAB Las Vegas - approximately two months before the June WWDC.

So I take it this is a slight modification of your prior January 2007 estimate?

Rocketman

:)

Rocketman
Jan 24, 2007, 04:26 PM
Ah yes, an unconfirmed Page 2 report from AppleRecon(?) MUST be gospel.

From what I understand, I find it hard to believe Leopard will be out in about 2 months when a) The "Top Secret" features have yet to surface, and b) It seems people who know what they're doing with the developer builds also feel that Leopard is still a ways off, or at least, not ready for prime time in less than 60 days, not even counting the time to press the discs and ship them.

Won't this be the first download full OS upgrade?

Get the DVD a week after you buy/install the OS :)

Rocketman

~Shard~
Jan 24, 2007, 04:28 PM
Great news, it'll be nice to have it earlier this year! Last year's WWDC was definitely worth waiting for, however it will be nice to see some major announcements earlier this year than last. ;) :cool:

Maccus Aurelius
Jan 24, 2007, 04:38 PM
Though it's likely I'll never own an iPhone (I prefer cheap throw-away phones that I can replace at will), I will be waiting with wide eyes for the next gen vid ipod and newer macs. I so want an MP, and the joy of suddenly having Octo-core models available is that quad cores will be cheaper! :D

TheBobcat
Jan 24, 2007, 04:44 PM
Won't this be the first download full OS upgrade?

Get the DVD a week after you buy/install the OS :)

Rocketman

Yes actually, I think AppleRecon is about to confirm that. Maybe even MacOSRumors will throw in a vote of confidence and confirmation as well.

Doctor Q
Jan 24, 2007, 04:54 PM
Maybe WWDC registrants will each walk out with a new Mac Pro, handed out free to each attendee. Oh wait, that's Oprah's style, not Apple's.

But they might get copies of Leopard or an i-app.

zap2
Jan 24, 2007, 04:59 PM
iPhone, 10.5,iWork, iLife 07, 8 Core/Chip Mac Pro(wow that would be a long time for those Apps, as I've been waiting to pick on Intel iWork, and I though I'd just wait for iWork 07!)

Hopefully a new iPod and Mac Mini updates before that!

macjackpro
Jan 24, 2007, 05:15 PM
I think they need till early June to release Leopard, and this will bring it in right under the wire of June 20, which is still Spring. Hopefully it will be more fully demonstrated before that of course.

iVoid
Jan 24, 2007, 05:20 PM

If iLife, iWork, Leopard and the new Mac Pros are out by then (and they damn well better be :mad: )what's going to be on the agenda? It would have to be either new MBs/MBPs, maybe a C2D Mac Mini or the new iMac...?

-M

Hopefully Xcode development tools for the iPhone platform OS X.

zblaxberg
Jan 24, 2007, 05:21 PM

-M

They better be out by then!!! I have a gift card waiting for my macbook pro but I want it sooner!

joshysquashy
Jan 24, 2007, 05:39 PM
I made a dashboard countdown widget in dashcode in case anyone wants it, will update it when the time of the keynote speech is known.

CANEHDN
Jan 24, 2007, 06:10 PM
This excites me. Announcement of Leopard release. This is exciting.

Rocketman
Jan 24, 2007, 06:42 PM
So.

Feb 20
June 11

Any other likely dates?

No not NAB.

Rocketman

SiliconAddict
Jan 24, 2007, 07:12 PM
I already know the theme of WWDC this year....

WWDC '07: Top Secret Features

:p .... Sorry I'm like a dog with a bone. ;)

weitzner
Jan 24, 2007, 07:18 PM
sweet! i hope i get to go again :-D

Xavier
Jan 24, 2007, 08:02 PM
I'm still hoping new iPod. I don't see myself holding a iPhone in the future and my current iPod's battery is dieing! It is a 2G so I think I am due for an upgrade

MacinDoc
Jan 24, 2007, 08:09 PM
I'm still hoping new iPod. I don't see myself holding a iPhone in the future and my current iPod's battery is dieing! It is a 2G so I think I am due for an upgrade
New iPods will come soon enough, but not at a developers' conference like WWDC.

iPhil
Jan 24, 2007, 08:15 PM
Maybe WWDC registrants will each walk out with a new Mac Pro, handed out free to each attendee. Oh wait, that's Oprah's style, not Apple's.

But they might get copies of Leopard or an i-app.

well Q if :apple: did that sort of thing the free MacPros then it'd been $10.8 Million worth of Freebies... I don't think that :apple: wanna give away that much :eek:

Maybe $360K in freebies :o

Rocketman
Jan 24, 2007, 08:38 PM
On WWDC 07 I believe we will see Mac and MacOS stuff.

BUT.

Now MacOS technically includes MacOSX lite (ATN) iPhoneOS. I hope we will see an ADC only development environment. In any case the folks Apple has "identified" as app developers already have one, so if you (the reader) are one of those guys, contact Apple now.

I for one am looking forward to some within NDA announced ATNN release (Apple Tablet Not Nano).

Leopard will be a good thing and will bring incremental improvements to MacOS and a couple of game changers (ZFS/Core animation/multi-touch).

Mac users will not notice enough to do anything more than buy more Macs.

Windows users will notice something. They can run their apps without Windows. Oops!

Rocketman

Stella
Jan 24, 2007, 08:52 PM
Remember its a Developer Conference. Don't expect to see a lot of consumer products!

I'd rather OSX 10.5 come out later rather than sooner. Initial releases of OSX have always been less than satisfying ( too many bugs and other quirks ).

arn
Jan 24, 2007, 08:58 PM
Remember its a Developer Conference. Don't expect to see a lot of consumer products!.

While this used to be true... with the loss of MWNY/MWBoston, WWDC has become a consumer release event.

2006: Intel Mac Pro, Xserve
2005: Apple moving to Intel
2004: Previews Tiger, 30" Cinema Display
2003: PowerMac G5 announced

http://guides.macrumors.com/WWDC

arn

Multimedia
Jan 24, 2007, 08:58 PM
So I take it this is a slight modification of your prior January 2007 estimate? :)That was way back before I read this article on Stoakley-Seaburg (http://techreport.com/etc/2006q4/clovertown/index.x?pg=1) in November. This was the first time I found out about these helpful multi-core management support chips that won't ship in quantity until later this quarter. Since then I've been saying Spring NAB. I never believed the January rumor. :rolleyes:

WildCowboy
Jan 24, 2007, 09:02 PM

That seems pretty developer/pro/prosumer-focused to me...

icollectmacs
Jan 24, 2007, 09:20 PM
01-11-2007, 03:41 AM #308
icollectmacs
macrumors newbie

Stop Complaining
Will you people stop complaining already? This is a breakthrough device that we have not seen all of. By June I am sure we will see wireless synching, ringtone making, more widgets, etc. Also here is a nice newsflash for you guys.

WWDC 2007
Calendar: Conferences
When: Sun, June 10, 2007, 1:00 pm - Fri, June 15, 2007, 1:00 pm

iPhone update/ Leopard release date anyone??????

Again... this was a Preview not something for sure yet.

also.... for any apple guys working there tell steve to have the background also be used in the home screen behind the buttons in the UI.

EDIT:
http://www.auc.edu.au/tiki-calendar....s&calitemId=35

for any of you skeptics

---------------------------

I posted that info 13 days ago, but i guess my post went unnoticed, and at this time the link is dead due to Apples noticing this, but yes.... it did say WWDC was June 10-15 and i will put a million dollars on it too.

Also the info copied to that post was directly from the [now dead] link.

Soooooo, seeing as I used the same link as they did, and posted it 4 days priorrrr, I have had my fame and furtune STOLEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well.

Macula
Jan 24, 2007, 09:27 PM
What about Santa Rosa-based laptops? (including OS booting and prefetching from NAND memory?)

Alternatively, Apple may prefer to rest on its laurels with the current terrific Core 2 Duo machines until the next generation of processors is released by Intel (Fall 2007 or later).

findpankaj
Jan 24, 2007, 09:37 PM
Another long keynote to begin with, from steve jobs.
Need something better guys. Just for the dates, why go crazy?
Useless rumor.

praterkeith
Jan 24, 2007, 10:30 PM
I'd like to see new iMacs in a new form. And maybe 12" Macbook Pro's?
I doubt either but Leopard will be rad!

gugy
Jan 24, 2007, 10:45 PM
While this used to be true... with the loss of MWNY/MWBoston, WWDC has become a consumer release event.

arn

Arn,
I am confused by your post.
It clearly shows that WWDC is mostly a Pro event.
I would say that MWSF is mostly a consumer event not WWDC.

MrCrowbar
Jan 24, 2007, 10:54 PM
Just came back from the Leopard Tech Talk, and I can say:
"The developers don't know more than you do."
If you check out the Leopard Previews on the Apple website, that's basically what the user will get. The developers are only shown how those features are intended to be used. No hidden features as of today.

But here's a scoop: one Apple clerk referred to the iPhone as "MacPhone" without correcting himself. Maybe that's been the codename for a while, maybe it's a hint that it's gonna be more than a phone. Weird tho, the "iPhone" name has been all over the media lately, seems odd to have an Apple insider refer to it as the MacPhone.

truz
Jan 24, 2007, 11:00 PM
I would really like to buy a macbook pro 12" before then :) oh well...

Rocketman
Jan 24, 2007, 11:07 PM
That was way back before I read this article on Stoakley-Seaburg (http://techreport.com/etc/2006q4/clovertown/index.x?pg=1) in November.

No I agree. I saw that whole drama real-time.

This was the first time I found out about these helpful multi-core management support chips that won't ship in quantity until later this quarter.

Technically, sampling in January and available for accumulation on approval This is January.

Since then I've been saying Spring NAB. I never believed the January rumor. :rolleyes:

Well . . . you did at one entertaining point. Lasting weeks. Need a cite?

Rocketman

scott992
Jan 24, 2007, 11:37 PM

-=|Mgkwho

Ensure and insure are synonyms. Look it up.

arn
Jan 24, 2007, 11:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

arn

Arn,
I am confused by your post.
It clearly shows that WWDC is mostly a Pro event.
I would say that MWSF is mostly a consumer event not WWDC.

The original poster said it was a Developer's conference so not to expect "consumer" products....

I was pointing out it has had several consumer (vs developer) announcements. I wasn't breaking consumer down into consumer vs prosumer...

ClimbingTheLog
Jan 25, 2007, 12:21 AM
The original poster said it was a Developer's conference so not to expect "consumer" products....I was pointing out it has had several consumer (vs developer) announcements. I wasn't breaking consumer down into consumer vs prosumer...

I think he means iPods, iMacs, MacBooks, etc as "consumer" goods - which is just a way of illustrating how awful that word is, beyond its use to denigrate people as mere sources of cash.

I like to use 'customers' in the general case, but for this level of specificity "home users" and "professional users" might be more helpful.

I hate that word too - computer manufacturers and drug dealers are the two groups who call their customers "users". Bleh.

ClimbingTheLog
Jan 25, 2007, 12:30 AM
Ensure and insure are synonyms. Look it up.

Go to your dashboard, dictionary widget, type in 'insure' and go down to USAGE for more information.

There is some synonymous use in American English but for the erudite image, use insure for financial instruments and ensure for efforts to guarantee outcomes. No, you don't have to, but your writing will be more clear to many people and they'll think more highly of your vocabulary. I find the same principle applies to fewer (countable items) and less (degrees of quantity) - once you go more specific you rarely go back. English rules for its high degree of specificity thorough its enormous vocabulary.

We can all now take a moment of silence to reflect on the passing of begging the question as a meaningful idiom.

jhande
Jan 25, 2007, 02:35 AM
I hate that word too - computer manufacturers and drug dealers are the two groups who call their customers "users". Bleh.

Epiphany! I'd never thought of it like that, but you're absolutely right. Learn something new every day. From here on in, we'll refer to our customers as customers, not addicts.

Although addict may be the correct term for all of us reading the rumor threads....;)

Stridder44
Jan 25, 2007, 02:39 AM
WWDC?? That's a ways off yet...how about Feb. 20th anyone?

Diatribe
Jan 25, 2007, 03:14 AM
I just want the new MBPs with the NAND flash, the 300GB HDs Hitachi promised and some HD OLED displays and I'm happy. :D

aswitcher
Jan 25, 2007, 03:42 AM
What worries me is that the iPhone comes out in June...I hope they talk about something else for the majority of this particular keynote.

Diatribe
Jan 25, 2007, 03:55 AM
What worries me is that the iPhone comes out in June...I hope they talk about something else for the majority of this particular keynote.

Since it is a developer's keynote, my guess is they will. ;)

Nym
Jan 25, 2007, 04:33 AM
Although addict may be the correct term for all of us reading the rumor threads....;)

Sure that hit the bullseye :D

June 11th? Geez, and I was so eager to spend my money on Leopard anytime soon, I would even deal with the 10.5.0 quirks and bugs..., but now June seems like a lot of time, it feels like we are ALWAYS waiting on Apple to just give us what we want but they keep delaying it, it's a method of torture :)

I know it's a strategy but announcing the iPhone 6 months before it's release it's like losing your virginity and only experience it 6 months later... it sucks it sucks... :)

WildPalms
Jan 25, 2007, 07:11 AM
We on the 8 Core Mac Pro Watch (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3285423&posted=1#post3285423) think Dual Clovertown will announce and ship soon thereafter no later than April 16 NAB Las Vegas - approximately two months before the June WWDC.

So I take it this is a slight modification of your prior January 2007 estimate?

Rocketman

:)

hehehehe *chuckles*

WildPalms
Jan 25, 2007, 07:13 AM
That was way back before I read this article on Stoakley-Seaburg (http://techreport.com/etc/2006q4/clovertown/index.x?pg=1) in November. This was the first time I found out about these helpful multi-core management support chips that won't ship in quantity until later this quarter. Since then I've been saying Spring NAB. I never believed the January rumor. :rolleyes:

:p :D lmao

Sharkus
Jan 25, 2007, 07:48 AM
Each seed of 10.5 has seen the odd new little thing pop up, for example, there is a new look Network Preference Pane, nothing major by a long shot, but I think it's vast improvement as it makes it easier to see what is going on. There are no massive Top Secret features in the latest seed, and if there are then they aren't exactly obvious.

If there are doing to be new features and things that developers have to work with, then we are going to need time to get our products ready for 10.5, what's the point in releasing an OS if most of the developers have not had a chance to test, let alone have to re-code their applications to work under 10.5. Not all apps just need a simple recompile, some integrate at a very low level with the OS and could need a lot of recoding to get them to work, as was the case with going from 10.3 to 10.4, and to a somewhat similar extent from PPC to Intel (in the same was as it was from 68k to PPC all those years ago).

I'm not expecting to see 10.5 until mid to late June, which would tie in with the "Spring 2007" date that has been mentioned, and also tie in with the rumors about the date of WWDC. If I recally correctly, the end of spring is 21st June, so I'm expecting an anouncement about the Top Secret features and anything else to be between now and April. The ship date will still be mentioned as spring, and more than likley we'll see 10.5 released at the rumored mid june WWDC.

Porchland
Jan 25, 2007, 09:22 AM

I think this is a lot more likely than total silence on Leopard for the next five months.

AppleMan101
Jan 25, 2007, 10:52 AM
June 10th you reckon?

I think you'll find the biggest clue from iCal. WWDC, one day event; July 17th. No question.

evilernie
Jan 25, 2007, 12:42 PM
btw, there won't be a video ipod for at least a year.
iphone -> june
iphone nano -> october '08

then ipod video

Don't ipods already play video? Am I missing something?

psurge
Jan 25, 2007, 03:05 PM
late June also ties in with the Intel Penryn (45nm Core 2 chips with more L2, higher frequence, some new instructions) roadmap. Both Penryn and the supporting chipsets Seaburg/Bearlake are targetted at Q3 2007 AFAIK.

technicolor
Jan 25, 2007, 03:28 PM
WWDC?? That's a ways off yet...how about Feb. 20th anyone?

Whats special about that day?

other than the fact that it is my bday.

WildCowboy
Jan 25, 2007, 03:33 PM
Whats special about that day?

Er, it's the day of the rumored Apple special event.

Oh, and I hear that it's technicolor's birthday... ;)

technicolor
Jan 25, 2007, 08:13 PM
Er, it's the day of the rumored Apple special event.

Oh, and I hear that it's technicolor's birthday... ;)

:D

thanks for explaining
i havent been keeping up with the rumors lately

diogowerner
Jan 28, 2007, 11:12 AM
june 15th is the last week of spring... =/

i hope they release leopard earlier than that! or else we can't complain if they release it only in june...june is "spring 07" as march...

holamiamigos
Jan 28, 2007, 12:22 PM
june 15th is the last week of spring... =/

i hope they release leopard earlier than that! or else we can't complain if they release it only in june...june is "spring 07" as march...

fingers crossed