PDA

View Full Version : Apple Seeds Mac OS X 10.4.9 (8P2122)

MacRumors
Jan 25, 2007, 04:13 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

According to published reports on the internet, for the third week in a row, Apple has seeded another build of Mac OS X 10.4.9 to developers. The newest seed build number is 8P2122 and comes in at 164.4 MB (Intel) and 70.3 MB (PPC). Unlike the last seed (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/17/apple-seeds-another-mac-os-x-10-4-9-8p2120/), this version has three known issues listed.

These items include stability issues with Wacom v600-3 drivers, iMovie and Entourage. Meanwhile, Apple itemizes a number of bug fixes with OpenGL, USB, File Manager, CoreAudio and CoreImage.

The accelerated frequency of 10.4.9 seeds to developers suggests an imminent release. The last public update to Mac OS X 10.4 was issued September 29th (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/09/29/mac-os-x-tiger-10-4-8-released-10-3-9-panther-security-update/) 2006.

pknz
Jan 25, 2007, 04:15 PM
Mmmmmm seeds.

psychofreak
Jan 25, 2007, 04:16 PM
I for one am hoping for another Rosetta speed increase...

cantthinkofone
Jan 25, 2007, 04:22 PM
Im STILL waiting for a fix with the audio on my ibook. It keeps going to the left speaker with itunes. I have to go into the audio settings in the system pref pannle and put it back to the middle.

thequicksilver
Jan 25, 2007, 04:24 PM
Im STILL waiting for a fix with the audio on my ibook. It keeps going to the left speaker with itunes. I have to go into the audio settings in the system pref pannle and put it back to the middle.

That happened for so long on my old iBook too. Never could work out what the hell was going on.

Doesn't happen on the MacBook if you're after an excuse to get one of those…

slate1
Jan 25, 2007, 04:38 PM
I just wish they would fix the bug where some of the "Energy Saver" settings completly reset themselves on the Intel iMac upon restart (i.e. the "dim display" setting). I can't believe they haven't addressed that yet.

nick004
Jan 25, 2007, 04:48 PM
Bring it on!

synth3tik
Jan 25, 2007, 04:53 PM
I love updates,

be it 10.4.9 or 10.5 just give it to me already....

Peace
Jan 25, 2007, 04:56 PM
I just wish they would fix the bug where some of the "Energy Saver" settings completly reset themselves on the Intel iMac upon restart (i.e. the "dim display" setting). I can't believe they haven't addressed that yet.

I dont have that problem.what kind of Intel iMac do you have ?

Marky_Mark
Jan 25, 2007, 04:57 PM

Yeah, this bugs the **** out of me too. I'm running an iBook G4 w/ 10.4.8. No joy yet... :mad:

Gosh
Jan 25, 2007, 05:04 PM
Could it be Leopard in February, along with iLife 07 and new :apple: 's?

MrCrowbar
Jan 25, 2007, 05:06 PM

My Macbook has that too. I can't make the display to be fully bright for more than a minute when idle. I'd love to have the display just go off after 5 minutes, or gradually fade to off after 5 minutes...

Peace
Jan 25, 2007, 05:06 PM
Could it be Leopard in February, along with iLife 07 and new :apple: 's?

iLife 07 will be built in to Leopard ;)

Benjamindaines
Jan 25, 2007, 05:09 PM
Hopefully the USB fix will fix EPSON USB not showing up in Printer Setup Utility and the CoreImage fix will take care of the H264 issues.

//Wishfullthinking

bigandy
Jan 25, 2007, 05:24 PM
and i hope that it resolves the lack of USB2 on the G3 iMac i have sitting in the corner of the room...

[/SARCASM]

Benjamindaines
Jan 25, 2007, 05:30 PM
and i hope that it resolves the lack of USB2 on the G3 iMac i have sitting in the corner of the room...

[/SARCASM]

They'd have to charge you $5 for that

andrewheard
Jan 25, 2007, 05:32 PM

I really really hope that you somehow saw into the future.

Gosh
Jan 25, 2007, 05:33 PM

and we hope iWorks 07 too:)

kwood

[/SARCASM]

It will probably also give all Macs (regardless of whether or not they an Airport card) 802.11n connectivity immediately upon download. :rolleyes:

sam10685
i thought they already did this. now i'm confused.

netdog
Jan 25, 2007, 05:36 PM

Nah, only $1.99 :D

chubad
Jan 25, 2007, 05:53 PM

I totally agree. If you watched the WWDC State of OS X podcast the Leopard core animation segment featured browsing for photos as an example. Hmmmm. What app does that? Also Keynote is a natural for core animation. If Apple announced iLife 07 with Leopard they would have 9 months at best before iLife 08. Vista ships with a suite of apps for media. (Probably crappy ones!). But it would make sense for Apple to bundle BOTH iLife and iWork with Leopard and charge $159-169 instead of $139. The increased sales (one for each upgrade) will more than make up for the price decrease.

Stridder44
Jan 25, 2007, 06:03 PM

That randomly happens with my iMac G4 10.4.8. The exact same thing. Yeah. Annoying.

Buh dum CHHI!

djon41
Jan 25, 2007, 06:13 PM
Yeah, this bugs the ******* out of me too. I'm running an iBook G4 w/ 10.4.8. No joy yet... :mad:

haha, and i thought i was the only one!:p

mjstew33
Jan 25, 2007, 06:41 PM
More the merrier. :)

bousozoku
Jan 25, 2007, 06:43 PM
i thought they already did this. now i'm confused.

What's confusing? They've released 8P2122 this time and 8P2120 the previous time.

shawnce
Jan 25, 2007, 06:44 PM
That randomly happens with my iMac G4 10.4.8. The exact same thing. Yeah. Annoying. Humm never seen... err heard... that on any of my 10.4.8 systems. It may be a piece of software that you folks use (that I don't) which is causing the strange reconfigure of the audio system.

Benjamindaines
Jan 25, 2007, 06:49 PM

That's not as bad as the blue screen after screen saver bug that was never fixed in Panther, had to update to Tiger for it to work right. If you don't know the bug I'm talking about happened with the 1.07GHz iBook G4s, after the computer came out of screen saver there was a blue tint over the screen that didn't fix unless you restarted.

addicted44
Jan 25, 2007, 06:58 PM
Yeah, this bugs the **** out of me too. I'm running an iBook G4 w/ 10.4.8. No joy yet... :mad:

I use to have teh same audio issues with my ibook G4. However, it has stopped happening in the last 6 months or so. I think a not so small role was played by certain alarm clock softwares that I had installed. either way, I am pretty sure its a 3rd party application that is causing those problems, so you want to look into that.

twoodcc
Jan 25, 2007, 07:02 PM
I for one am hoping for another Rosetta speed increase...

that would be nice......bring on 10.4.9!:apple:

iomar
Jan 25, 2007, 07:08 PM
OK, so when can we download it!

pilotError
Jan 25, 2007, 07:18 PM
Hmmmm. What app does that?

It was just a demo of how core animation is now built in without you having to do much. It was a grid object if I remember correctly, and he had buttons to change the settings dynamically. Just to show the Animation that happens without you having to program it.

sblasl
Jan 25, 2007, 07:21 PM
The capability to resolve or provide all of the above mentioned features/issues exist, however, for Apple to enable/provide them would cost you more than what you originally paid for your computer.

"Something to do with SEX or GAP" an Apple spokesperson was quoted as saying...:rolleyes:

AndrewWx
Jan 25, 2007, 09:03 PM
I am hoping that it will fix my 17" MacBookPro (rev2) and my wife's MacBook (rev2) issue with the airport not connecting after waking up. Otherwise I just look forward to "snappier" comments in these forums after the MotherShip releases the update.

FF_productions
Jan 25, 2007, 09:06 PM

Same thing is happening to me! It's getting annoying!

How does an update screw up a computer? Shouldn't it help the computer? :p

Superdrive
Jan 25, 2007, 09:09 PM
Let me start it off by saying I am waiting for 10.4.10. ;)

bousozoku
Jan 25, 2007, 09:13 PM

It's a good thing that you're not trying to start a flurry of posts that will have to be deleted. :D

auxplage
Jan 26, 2007, 12:12 AM

They cannot do 10.4.10. :)

bigandtasty
Jan 26, 2007, 12:55 AM
seed em', we need em'!:)

Nermal
Jan 26, 2007, 01:21 AM

Sure they can. They probably won't, but they can.

It's a good thing that you're not trying to start a flurry of posts that will have to be deleted. :D

Flurry imminent! :D

ruutiveijari
Jan 26, 2007, 01:59 AM
Same thing is happening to me! It's getting annoying!

How does an update screw up a computer? Shouldn't it help the computer? :p
And with my older iBook. I noticed it ONLY did this when I tried to adjust the sound with the keyboard while the computer was busy and showing the beachball. When I just waited for the computer to become responsive again before adjusting the sound level the balance also stayed in the middle.

macgpscs1
Jan 26, 2007, 05:15 AM
Does anyone out there running one of the 10.4.9 seeds also own a Sony GPS-CS1?

I'm hoping 10.4.9 will fix the lack of Mac support for this device. It mounts as a removable drive on Core 2 Duo MacBooks running 10.4.8 with a slightly newer kernel than older machines - but won't mount on any older kit. It isn't a hardware issue because it mounts on those same Macs running Linux.

Morris
Jan 26, 2007, 05:21 AM
Sure they can. They probably won't, but they can.

I think we will see a 10.4.10.

Apple has a tendency to release a final update for the old OS when the new one is released. Considering Leopard release looks to be rather June than February I say the final one will be 10.4.10.

mrthieme
Jan 26, 2007, 07:32 AM
It seems to me that iphone and :apple: tv will be heavily tied into Leapord, along with any of the other wishlist hardware that is rumored. (touchscreen tablets) So a release before June makes sense to me.

Gasu E.
Jan 26, 2007, 07:49 AM

That would be wrong! I already paid for all that silicon-- I should not have to pay more just to have the silicon rearranged! :rolleyes:

Gasu E.
Jan 26, 2007, 07:50 AM

Ahhhh... I always cherish this moment. :p

steve_hill4
Jan 26, 2007, 09:58 AM
Who says? What, just because there has never been a 10.x.10 before? Remember we have never had quite a wait between OSes before, os it is possible. This does not follow a decimal system of numbering remember.

Apple has a tendency to release a final update for the old OS when the new one is released. Considering Leopard release looks to be rather June than February I say the final one will be 10.4.10.
I agree, maybe even 10.4.11 if it takes to June. I have noticed updates have slowed right down of late, so maybe not.
It seems to me that iphone and :apple: tv will be heavily tied into Leapord, along with any of the other wishlist hardware that is rumored. (touchscreen tablets) So a release before June makes sense to me.
Well, I hope that either 10.4.9 or 10.5.0 fixes this annoying bug on the board where so many type Leopard and it appears to post Leapord. :)
Cherish away. If 10.4.9 comes out next month and Leopard does not, we will surely see a 10.4.10. If it does come out next month, this is it daddio.

eluk
Jan 26, 2007, 10:30 AM
I am hoping that it will fix my 17" MacBookPro (rev2) and my wife's MacBook (rev2) issue with the airport not connecting after waking up. …

There was an Airport update yesterday. Maybe this is your answer.

bill001
Jan 26, 2007, 11:30 AM
Does anyone know if 10.4.9 will include a fix for iChat? Since 10.4.7 ichat hasn't worked reliably for squat when doing video chats. Thanks!

Porchland
Jan 26, 2007, 11:51 AM

I haven't seen anything that indicates Leopard's release is more likely to be in June than February. What makes you think it's one or the other anyway?

When Apple said "spring" for Leopard on the earnings call, I don't think they meant June. They choose their words extremely carefully for those calls, which are for the markets and not for the rumor mill, so they wouldn't say "spring" if they meant "spring or early summer." And they're not going to get into some kind of equinox BS (like posters here have) to justify June to market analysts that will call Leopard late if a street date is not announced before WWDC in June.

I think Apple will have a special event in the near future to announce:
* The Beatles (unless the Super Bowl ad does that),
* a new widescreen iPod (same deal),
* new killer features in Leopard, and
* a street date for Leopard that will be before WWDC.

Nermal
Jan 26, 2007, 01:41 PM
This does not follow a decimal system of numbering remember.

I find it hilarious that the people who complain about 10.4.10 seem to have no problem whatsoever with 10.4.9 :D

By the way, in World of Warcraft, guess what patch came after 1.9. I'll give you a clue - it had a 10 in it!

auxplage
Jan 26, 2007, 03:27 PM

So do I . . . hehe. :D

willybNL
Jan 26, 2007, 04:41 PM

Yeah, audio on macbook is trouble too... you can set audio in OS X menubar, but it will ignore it until you really push FN-F4/F5... really annoying.

matticus008
Jan 26, 2007, 08:27 PM
Humm never seen... err heard... that on any of my 10.4.8 systems. It may be a piece of software that you folks use (that I don't) which is causing the strange reconfigure of the audio system.
It's an intermittent bug which affects some G4 iBook and PowerBook users. No one has ever isolated its cause, except that it appeared in 10.4.8. It hasn't happened on mine in several months, but then again I did have a repair for a faulty trackpad, so maybe it magically got fixed.

willybNL
Jan 27, 2007, 03:52 AM
I am hoping that it will fix my 17" MacBookPro (rev2) and my wife's MacBook (rev2) issue with the airport not connecting after waking up. Otherwise I just look forward to "snappier" comments in these forums after the MotherShip releases the update.

Same here on macbook v1. WEP-enabled... get all kinds of this things (although it has become less since 10.4.8)

Jan 26 22:54:07 max /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport: Error: password required for "xxx" not found in keychain
Jan 26 22:54:15 max /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport: Error: WirelessAssociate2() = 88001006 for network xxx
Jan 26 22:54:23 max /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport: Error: WirelessAssociate2() = 88001006 for network xxx
Jan 26 22:54:28 max /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport: Error: password required for "xxx" not found in keychain

thewhitehart
Jan 27, 2007, 06:08 PM

Oh yes, please, for the love of... This is an absolute must for me on my 17" core duo rev1.

bogg
Jan 28, 2007, 04:50 AM
It's an intermittent bug which affects some G4 iBook and PowerBook users. No one has ever isolated its cause, except that it appeared in 10.4.8. It hasn't happened on mine in several months, but then again I did have a repair for a faulty trackpad, so maybe it magically got fixed.

Long time reader of this forum, never posted anything so you should feel a bit special now when you made me do it :)
Now to the point:

I've actually observed this behaviour ever since 10.4.3 or something like that. first on a Mac mini 1.42GHz and later on a iBook G4 1.33GHz.
On the swedish forum 99mac it was first mentioned sometime in fall 2005.

cricrimi
Jan 28, 2007, 06:13 AM
I have given up on trying to get reliable sync on my treo using missing sync (which relies on OSX's syncservices). I read from the previous anoucement of the seeding of a beta to 10.4.9 that these would be updated!. Hope this solves this */#:ing bug that keeps us all entertained in the forums but to which no solution has arisen!!

anyone have info on this??

steve_hill4
Jan 28, 2007, 07:30 AM
I have given up on trying to get reliable sync on my treo using missing sync (which relies on OSX's syncservices). I read from the previous anoucement of the seeding of a beta to 10.4.9 that these would be updated!. Hope this solves this */#:ing bug that keeps us all entertained in the forums but to which no solution has arisen!!

anyone have info on this??

I still have never been able to get iSync to allow me to do Palm synching. It keeps telling me to run Palm Desktop etc, but never recognises it.

I gave up a long time back, just hope Leopard or at least an update to Tiger/Palm Desktop will solve it eventually.

matticus008
Jan 28, 2007, 05:05 PM
Long time reader of this forum, never posted anything so you should feel a bit special now when you made me do it :)
Now to the point:

I've actually observed this behaviour ever since 10.4.3 or something like that. first on a Mac mini 1.42GHz and later on a iBook G4 1.33GHz.
On the swedish forum 99mac it was first mentioned sometime in fall 2005.

Actually, you're right. I looked back and it was 10.4.2 that appears to have been the culprit. 10.4.8 definitely isn't right, because that's the current release--I don't know what I was thinking!

mrzippy
Jan 29, 2007, 04:57 AM
Question is have the fixed these bugs that have been there since 10.4 (as in 10.4.0)?

1. Mail.app shows BDT as the time zone for summer in the UK when it should be BST as is correctly shown in System Preferences.
2. iChat.app and Mail.app do not automatically hide when set to launch as Login Items with the hide box checked.

tshakey
Jan 29, 2007, 04:04 PM
based on this release, how far do ya rekon they are away from a final retail version?

iomar
Jan 29, 2007, 04:08 PM
based on this release, how far do ya rekon they are away from a final retail version?

This will be a free upgrade from Mac OS 10.4.8. It should be any day now. This will be before Apple is ready to release Leopard. Can't wait for Leopard.