PDA

View Full Version : Another tax question

yg17
Jan 27, 2007, 06:06 PM
So I e-filed my taxes last night with Turbotax Online and today get a 1099-DIV in the mail from a couple stocks someone bought me as a gift that I completely forgot about. A measly $2.08 in dividends.

I did everything online in Turbotax to fill out a 1040X amended return so I can mail it in. There's actually no net change. I don't owe the IRS any more, they don't owe me any more, so I don't see the need to fill this out, but I don't want to end up in jail, so I am anyways.

When I download the PDF of the filled out 1040X from TurboTax's website, the form has the words "FORM NOT FINAL - DO NOT PRINT" placed on top of the text. But the thing is final. And before someone tells me to contact TurboTax, I did, using their online chat:
Krizia Marie H: Thank you for contacting TurboTax Help and Support, my name is Krizia Marie H. How may I help you?
Krizia Marie H: Hi, Todd. We will be glad to answer any question you may have with our Turbotax products.

Todd: I filled out all the info for a 1040X because I forgot to report something on a 1099DIV, but when I downlod the PDF for the 1040X, it says "Not final - do not file"
Todd: how do I get a final copy of my 1040x that I can mail in?
Krizia Marie H: I do apologize for the inconvenience this issue may have caused you but do not worry, I will help you to resolve that issue today.
Todd: ok thanks
Todd: I think i did everything right on the form
Krizia Marie H: I will be sending a link for you to be able to download the Form 1040X. Are you ready to receive it?
Todd: yes
URL Received: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf
Krizia Marie H: Have you receive it?
Todd: but the 1040X I filled out online on Turbotax had everything filled out
Todd: yes i received it
Krizia Marie H: You can now fill out the Form 1040X then send it by mail.
Todd: I'm aware of that. TurboTax already created a 1040X for me with everything filled out, but it has giant text on it telling me it isn't final. I want a final copy of that form.
Krizia Marie H: Have you already checked your e-file status?
Todd: yes, its been received
Krizia Marie H: What do you mean by receive? Did they actually receive it, or accept your return?
Todd: sorry, its been accepted
Krizia Marie H: You want a printable copy of your return. Am I correct?
Todd: No, I need to amend a return, and when I download the PDF of my 1040X from your site, it says Form Not Final - Do Not File, But it IS final and I DO want to file it
Todd: I want a copy of the filled out 1040X without that Do Not File junk written on it so I can mail it in
Krizia Marie H: For you to have the copy of your return information, I rather suggest you to call IRS at this number (800)-8291040.

Yes, oh how helpful they were :rolleyes:

So it looks like I'll just fill out the damn thing by hand. But I've yet to figure this out...what exactly do I mail in? Just the 1040X? Does the revised copy of my 1040A? The IRS website doesn't seem to say much, and obviously, TurboTax will be of no help.

Thanks

Sun Baked
Jan 27, 2007, 07:11 PM
Just wait until they bill you, or you get your return, and then file the amended return.

Or go to IRS.gov and download the form and fill it out again by hand -- shouldn't take too long.

Looking at the form download section the 1040-X form changed 12-06

yg17
Jan 27, 2007, 07:12 PM
What should I mail in with it? The IRS site doesn't say if I need to include my changed 1040A or not...

killr_b
Jan 27, 2007, 07:17 PM
Did you call the IRS?
It's their job to provide you with all the help you need to fill out your taxes correctly. That even includes in-person help where they will damn near do it for you. :D

yg17
Jan 27, 2007, 07:18 PM
Did you call the IRS?

That was my first thought, but their help hotline is closed on weekends.

Deepdale
Jan 28, 2007, 07:14 AM
So it looks like I'll just fill out the damn thing by hand. But I've yet to figure this out...what exactly do I mail in? Just the 1040X?

Todd ... do the following. The only documentation that should accompany the filing of your Form 1040X for tax year 2006 is a copy of the 1099-DIV statement that you received after your original return was submitted. You stated that such a small amount has no effect on your reported tax liability. If you are expecting a refund due you, it is best to wait for that to be received before the amended return with no tax change goes in.