PDA

View Full Version : More Panther Details?

MacRumors
May 20, 2003, 09:55 PM
LoopRumors posts (http://www.looprumors.com) a followup to their previous Panther information. Some of the features are rehashed, with possible new information including the return of themes, dock grouping, and voice recognition log-ins.

macdong
May 20, 2003, 10:08 PM
voice recognition log-ins....
Unless i can power up my PowerMac with voice recognition, this is practically useless....

macdong
May 20, 2003, 10:12 PM
Yeah, that's it.
Now when I get home all I need to do is shout "Macs Up!!!"
Then every Mac in my place will be powered up. :D

Freg3000
May 20, 2003, 10:13 PM
There are only 3 things that they say which I really want:
Themes, Speed, and Safari.

The other things are nice, but I don't NEED them, at least right now.

ibookin'
May 20, 2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by macdong
Yeah, that's it.

That alone would make Panther worth $129. :D

I think that voice recognition logins would improve security, but what if you are loggin in remotely and the machine you're logging in from does not have a microphone?

job
May 20, 2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000
Themes

I assume you mean Apple approved themes correct? I'd like OS X more if they let you customize it yourself to your heart's content, without the need to select individual themes. That way every GUI would be different, an individual fingerprint of the style and flair of every Mac user.

Nermal
May 20, 2003, 11:15 PM
Yeah, that's it.

And meanwhile, all your Windows machines will try to join in, but since they're all trying to log onto the network at exactly the same time, they'll suffer an identity crisis and give themselves viruses and crash. Oh wait, Windows IS a virus. :D

Yeah I know that didn't make too much sense...

Dale Sorel
May 20, 2003, 11:19 PM
I hope the Themes part is correct :)

rainman::|:|
May 21, 2003, 12:31 AM
i'd actually be glad if the biometric plugins came back... voice recognition, then someone would make thumb and iris scanners that the OS recognized for this purpose... combine this with multiple GUI login, and wow :) very nice high-security system for sensitive areas...

the voice plugin alone is really not that useful tho...

pnw

MacBandit
May 21, 2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
i'd actually be glad if the biometric plugins came back... voice recognition, then someone would make thumb and iris scanners that the OS recognized for this purpose... combine this with multiple GUI login, and wow :) very nice high-security system for sensitive areas...

the voice plugin alone is really not that useful tho...

pnw

Hmm I'm sure I've seen OSX finger print login devices.

I hope they bring far far more customizeability. Whoa that's a mouth full. Any how, being able to customize the look and feel of your system is why I originally really got into the mac back in the System 7 days. Back then it meant being able to have icons and move files around but since then things haven't really improved. System 9 had far more features when it came to the user inteface then OSX so it's time for OSX to make OS9 look like a featureless door knob in my oppinion. Oh!, also speed can never hurt.:)

Finally for me as on a two user system having the ability to switch users without ending a task is priceless. XP has this it's time OSX caught up. Also something that XP has is the ability to sort your music folder using the ID3 tag information. Why the hell don't we have that? Any way definitely the user switch ability. I hate it when I have a process running in the background not up on the screen and my fiancé comes in takes a look at the screen and doesn't see anything up so assumes it's not in use then logsout to her system. There goes all that work. Oh, well I guess. Thankfully it sounds like that pain is over with.

mac15
May 21, 2003, 01:33 AM
Unless i can power up my PowerMac with voice recognition, this is practically useless....

how lazy are you?

MacBandit
May 21, 2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by mac15
how lazy are you?

I want an implant so it automatically starts up logs in and load my most common we pages, email, and programs before I walk in the door.:p ;)

RandomDeadHead
May 21, 2003, 02:00 AM
I would be happy with just a speed boost.
And dont hate me, but piles sound like a good idea to me.

rockman2023
May 21, 2003, 02:09 AM
How do they know that they'll be releasing Quticktime 6.5 by the time Panther comes out. Why not 6.4 or 6.6? If that's the case, what improvements will 6.3 and 6.4 bring, and WHEN!?!

AppleMatt
May 21, 2003, 05:24 AM
Wow! I had completely forgotten about voice recognition from OS9. Apple had so much about it on their website. Sniffle, those were the days.

More customisability wouldn't go a miss, e.g. turning off metal, turning off aqua, changing colors etc. Everyone has their own ideas, hopefully some of them will get in.

Also (as a result of my last thread), a better Quartz Extreme!!!

AppleMatt

DGFan
May 21, 2003, 12:50 PM
I would be so happy if I could get my computer to speak to me in Majel Barret's voice. Those voices that ship with OS X are sooo annoying.

Flickta
May 21, 2003, 01:15 PM
I want to be able to customize EVERY SINGLE bit of MY system' interface. That's (and speed, of course) all!

MacBandit
May 21, 2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Flickta
I want to be able to customize EVERY SINGLE bit of MY system' interface. That's (and speed, of course) all!

Every 'bit'? Wow you have some serious time on your hands.

Lets see my OSX system folder occupies 744.3MB on my hard drive. That's 6,097,305,600 bits.:p

FlamDrag
May 21, 2003, 01:31 PM
piles were intriguing - I'd still like to see them some day.

How about FTP that's functional? Right now it's just a cruel joke. The key part of FTP is the "T". :rolleyes:

Voice recognition? Boy that's great if I'm the only person in the room with nobody else around to bother with my incessent yammering at my computer.

For those wanting to power up via voice recognition - buy a clapper.

Right now, I just want it to be faster. I'm very pleased with overall stability thus far.

szark
May 21, 2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by FlamDrag
How about FTP that's functional? Right now it's just a cruel joke. The key part of FTP is the "T". :rolleyes:

Assuming you mean Finder-integrated FTP, I agree 100%. This is a feature which really needs to be fully implemented.

Themes with sounds. About time!!!

AppleMatt
May 21, 2003, 04:05 PM
Yes sounds! I seem to remember they were in (one of) the first betas, then they went :(

Sounds sounds sounds

AppleMatt (easily pleased)

dswoodley
May 21, 2003, 05:35 PM
Just that fact the first batch or rumors from Looprumors was essentially a compilation of a dozen or so rumors already out there, i am more than a little skeptical of anything Looprumors prints. Still, I was also getting intrigued by "Piles"!

macdong
May 21, 2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by mac15
how lazy are you?

Mu haha, my girl friend asked me the same thing :D

ollywilson2003
May 21, 2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Nermal
And meanwhile, all your Windows machines will try to join in, but since they're all trying to log onto the network at exactly the same time, they'll suffer an identity crisis and give themselves viruses and crash. Oh wait, Windows IS a virus. :D

Yeah I know that didn't make too much sense...

LOL! I almost fell out of my chair from that one.

Flickta
May 22, 2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
Every 'bit'? Wow you have some serious time on your hands.

Lets see my OSX system folder occupies 744.3MB on my hard drive. That's 6,097,305,600 bits.:p

:)

Well, mine is just 674.1 Mb, so I'm not that crazy.

Tequila Grandma
May 22, 2003, 02:51 AM
Theming? How about an option that turns everything that is brushed metal except for iTunes back to its aqua glory? This "system-wide brushed metal" theme is the worst news out there, as is the idea of having an even flatter aqua. There's already too much brushed metal stuff. All the iApps, save iTunes (and maybe iChat and iSync), would look better in aqua. I'm hoping that they don't give Mail a metal interface. I'd like to have at least one app running when I'm on the net that isn't in brushed metal.

As for having flatter aqua -- this is an even worse idea than the brushed metal. I really wish that Apple would go back to the übercool look of 10.1 -- the flatter Aqua of 10.2 is already not as cool, why Apple would want to make it any flatter is beyond me.

Arigato,
Brook

AppleMatt
May 22, 2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Tequila Grandma

As for having flatter aqua -- this is an even worse idea than the brushed metal. I really wish that Apple would go back to the übercool look of 10.1 -- the flatter Aqua of 10.2 is already not as cool, why Apple would want to make it any flatter is beyond me.

I semi-agree, everyones tastes are different.

How about the option to choose? Similar to the blue and graphite appearance of today, you could choose really bright and bold (10.1), semi (10.2), flat (10.3 I'm guessing), whether you want the traffic lights floating or recessed.

You get the idea, what do you think?

AppleMatt

mainstreetmark
May 22, 2003, 10:31 AM
Theming? How about an option that turns everything that is brushed metal except for iTunes back to its aqua glory? This "system-wide brushed metal" theme is the worst news out there, as is the idea of having an even flatter aqua. There's already too much brushed metal stuff. All the iApps, save iTunes (and maybe iChat and iSync), would look better in aqua. I'm hoping that they don't give Mail a metal interface. I'd like to have at least one app running when I'm on the net that isn't in brushed metal.

Damn Straight! An opaque, tiled bitmap isn't very exciting. Plus, Jobs once said that the metal interface was supposed to be for digital device interface, which I thought made some sense.

Doesn't Aqua and Metal just make Rust?

MacBandit
May 22, 2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by AppleMatt
I semi-agree, everyones tastes are different.

How about the option to choose? Similar to the blue and graphite appearance of today, you could choose really bright and bold (10.1), semi (10.2), flat (10.3 I'm guessing), whether you want the traffic lights floating or recessed.

You get the idea, what do you think?

AppleMatt

I agree that it needs to be an option for sure. I can understand some people hating the brushed metal and the inset buttons but personally they both look more refined. The other original forms look like something off of sunday morning cartoons. As I stated it's all up to individual taste.

AppleMatt
May 22, 2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
Plus, Jobs once said that the metal interface was supposed to be for digital device interface, which I thought made some sense.

Doesn't Aqua and Metal just make Rust?

He didn't just say it, its in the UI guidelines! It might be interesting to see if they change, if so it could be an indication that the system wide metal for applications is true.

Also you need oxygen to rust, where's that gonna come from (:D)

AppleMatt

MacBandit
May 22, 2003, 11:51 AM
He didn't just say it, its in the UI guidelines! It might be interesting to see if they change, if so it could be an indication that the system wide metal for applications is true.

Also you need oxygen to rust, where's that gonna come from (:D)

AppleMatt

There's a lot more Oxygen in water then there is in the air you breath.:p

me_94501
May 22, 2003, 01:47 PM

Arigato,
Brook

I personally like 10.2's interface as it is. Maybe this flatter look will just be an included theme to go along with traditional aqua?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if metal is going to be used in all apps or just in the included Apple applications?

Kid Red
May 22, 2003, 03:12 PM

You log out, your friend wants to login in "Jeff". He logs out and you want to login "Macdong"

Useless? Why?

noel4r
May 22, 2003, 07:42 PM
what's looprumors track record anyway?

porovaara
May 22, 2003, 07:50 PM
What the hell is up with all this clamoring for fixed FTP? Guys FTP is a dead protocol quickly on its way out. If your server, or hosting service doesn't support scp transfer or sftp then you need to enable it or switch to someone who does.

FTP is not pretty and it really needs to die.

Phil Of Mac
May 22, 2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by FlamDrag

The FTP in the Terminal works just fine.

Spock
May 22, 2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Flickta
:)

Well, mine is just 674.1 Mb, so I'm not that crazy.

Mine fits on a floppy.

vniow
May 22, 2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by noel4r
what's looprumors track record anyway?

Not so great unless you count that Steve Jobs at Intel confrence which no one else caught awhile back..

bokdol
May 23, 2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
I want an implant so it automatically starts up logs in and load my most common we pages, email, and programs before I walk in the door.:p ;)

keep your computer on....:D :p

MacBandit
May 23, 2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by bokdol
keep your computer on....:D :p

Yeah but I still have to have the screen sleep. So I have to hit a key on the keyboard when I walk in to wake it up. Also sometime my fiancé changes users and then logsout when she's done so I have to login. An implant could prevent all that work I have to go through.:p

nagromme
May 25, 2003, 12:56 PM
I can see both sides of the unlimited-theming question. It's fun to make it easy for anyone to install any theme. At the same time, it makes Macs harder to use for newcomers--the confusion of going from Mac to Mac. And it destroys a very important part of Apple's brand identity, making OS X impossible to spot when it's in use. I think Apple probably ought to limit theming--but leave an unofficial back door for expert users to do it anyway. Just like OS X has now. I'd love to make my own themes!

Here's a thought on themes Apple could offer to preserve the OS X identity, yet still allow lots of individuality:

* Textured Glass (just like now)

* Smooth Glass (remove the stripes--and the brush-texture on the metal--but keep the metal gradient/shine)

* All Glass (just like now, with the metal apps turned to a smooth/stripeless glass, with the thickness along the edges and the rounding still there to distinguish these apps)

* All Metal (everything brushed metal, and the current "metal" apps being distinguished by the thickness/rounding)

* Black Glass (like now, in black plus the widget color; menu and title text in white)

* All Black (like now without any metal, in black plus widget color)

* Have Large (50% bigger for tight-DPI screens) and Small (like now) variants of each. The mouse pointer would be bigger too.

* Let the Dock background be Light, Dark, or Invisible.

* Have several colors for the widgets: Graphite, Blue, Violet, Sage, Ruby, Amber.

* Have a Hue Wheel and Saturation slider (no value, that would conflict with brighness changes needed by the UI) for mixing custom widget colors. It could simply custom-shift and re-save fresh versions of all colored widget graphics, like you could do in Photoshop. (No need to process the colors on the fly if they are all done at the start.)

* Make folder icons tint slightly in the direction of the widget color--instead of always being slightly blue. (But Label colors would be much stronger colors, always easily spotted.)

* Include a set of desktops to match each standard widget color.

* Allow a choice of login backdrop.

* Have two choices for the window stoplight widgets: Always Colored (Red-Yel-Grn) or Only Colored on Mouseover. (The second option would make them match the other widgets most of the time. But even Graphite could benefit from tri-colored widgets when you mouse over.)

My view of what the guidlines for metal/textured ought to be: if you create documents--a productivity app with the usual File menu being used all the time--then keep it white like the Finder. For non-creation apps (utilities, players, "desk accessories" etc.) use metal. That's the pattern I see so far--if Sherlock goes back to metal. (And Apple was never rumored to make Panther all metal, just make all their little apps metal. Which fits my thinking.)

And I like the two looks together, personally.

I actually like the flatter look of Jaguar, and I expect Panther will go one step further, adopting the look of Safari's buttons (as far as the shine). They are still clear and 3D, and I like the new look.

As for sounds--I want my Howler Monkeys back!

nagromme
May 25, 2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit: Yeah but I still have to have the screen sleep. So I have to hit a key on the keyboard when I walk in to wake it up. Also sometime my fiancé changes users and then logsout when she's done so I have to login. An implant could prevent all that work I have to go through.:p

The coming 2004 Toyota Prius has an electronic key option--you don't even have to take it out of your pocket to drive. Just walk within 3 feet of the car and it unlocks and starts the hybrid drive system. Sit down and go. When you reach your destination, get out of the car and walk away. It will lock up behind you. Mr.-Magoo-approved! (Looks like a really fun high-tech car in general, complete with Bluetooth--and I must say I love the new shuttle-pod look! Not to mention having been enlarged to a 5-seat/5-door mid-size with the power of a Camry, yet now getting city mpg in the 60s! Throw in the federal tax credit and it doesn't even cost more than an archaic car--yet it runs on the same gas, and never needs to be plugged in.)

How about something like that for Macs, with the "key" being your Bluetooth phone? That Salling Clicker can already make iTunes start and stop based on your proximity, and (I think) lock the screen or trigger logout--so why not use the same mechanism to trigger login?

(Could also serve as an implant, with the aid of duct tape.)

MacBandit
May 27, 2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by nagromme
The coming 2004 Toyota Prius has an electronic key option--you don't even have to take it out of your pocket to drive. Just walk within 3 feet of the car and it unlocks and starts the hybrid drive system. Sit down and go. When you reach your destination, get out of the car and walk away. It will lock up behind you. Mr.-Magoo-approved! (Looks like a really fun high-tech car in general, complete with Bluetooth--and I must say I love the new shuttle-pod look! Not to mention having been enlarged to a 5-seat/5-door mid-size with the power of a Camry, yet now getting city mpg in the 60s! Throw in the federal tax credit and it doesn't even cost more than an archaic car--yet it runs on the same gas, and never needs to be plugged in.)

How about something like that for Macs, with the "key" being your Bluetooth phone? That Salling Clicker can already make iTunes start and stop based on your proximity, and (I think) lock the screen or trigger logout--so why not use the same mechanism to trigger login?

(Could also serve as an implant, with the aid of duct tape.)

Warning off topic.

That new Prius sounds really cool. Too bad it's still a hybrid and not a fuel cell car. Do you know about the maintenance you have to do on a hybrid car? They won't tell you about it when you buy one unless you ask. Every so many years you have to replace the batteries and have the motor reworked. On some of the Hybrids including the old Prius that could come up to $6,000-8,000. Sure seems like they're saving a lot with that awesome gas mileage doesn't it. Also the old Prius got a maximum of 50MPG and that was tested by Toyota the numbers were actually lower when tested by magazines as they always are. In any case I just don't understand why they don't get 70MPG. I mean you could buy a Toyota back in the 70's that would get you 50MPG. My '85 CRX Si got 40MPG on the freeway and was a sports car.

ON TOPIC

I really like the idea of having an Apple lapel pin of something that lets the computer know who you are so it automatically starts up or logs in. Also log out if you leave the computer and there are no tasks running.

AppleMatt
May 27, 2003, 04:16 AM
Secuirity issue there though...if someone has your badge/lapel.

AppleMatt

MacBandit
May 27, 2003, 12:48 PM
Secuirity issue there though...if someone has your badge/lapel.

AppleMatt

That's true but the same could be said for a lot of things. Do you often leave your drivers license laying around so people can take it?

AppleMatt
May 28, 2003, 04:48 AM
Thinking about it I do actually, I should really sort that out.

AppleMatt (gone hunting)