Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KooBrewoP

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2004
behind you!
Ok, im new to D&D, and want some sort of information / organization app, something to calculate hits, saves, looking up class stats, keeping track of leveling exp etc. So far all i have found is a few dice rolling widgets, anyone got any recommendations?

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
Ok, im new to D&D, and want some sort of information / organization app, something to calculate hits, saves, looking up class stats, keeping track of leveling exp etc. So far all i have found is a few dice rolling widgets, anyone got any recommendations?

PCGen is a decent application to calculate your character. If you are new to D&D, I'd recommend using pencil and paper at first to make yourself familiar with the rules. I've been playing D&D for 13+ years and I've always found pencil and paper the best way to record your character.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
<put's geek hat on>
There doesn't seem to be anything great at the moment TBH, what have you used on Windows?

I've played a bit with some of my friends and I'm putting in some development time on something but nothing for release yet. I dunno yet whether it'll be shareware (though it'll be less than $20) or freeware. It will handle Spells (that's not finished) and currently supports Feats, Skills and Weapons (as well as more basic stats) and can currently run a battle, including saving throws/multiple weapons etc. etc.

I'm also waiting for a bug fix in Core Data from Apple to stop the release build crashing every time so it might well require Leopard :(, though I may be able to do a PPC only build that doesn't crash (I primarily use a Macbook so obviously would prefer to go Universal ;) ).

Here's a screenshot of what I've done so far...

Picture 2.png

</geek>

EDIT: I've downloaded PC Gen and haven't been able to work out how to make characters or anything but if I was getting anything I'd look at that.

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
I agree you need some eye candy for that app you are working on, it seems to have the function now all it needs is the form.:D

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I agree you need some eye candy for that app you are working on, it seems to have the function now all it needs is the form.:D

The function is still very buggy behind the scenes (and I have Uni work I *should* be doing instead ;) ). I hear that Leopard has a new Interface Builder so I'll be able to improve the eye candy later.

PS Pleased you like it!

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
PS I have had a few teething problems with the website as I've never done one before and iWeb is a bit bad at exporting, and links haven't been forwarded etc etc. So it's gone a bit wrong on occasion and various stuff has (at least at my end) not displayed correctly and sent you to a blank folder not the shiny website. Sorry :eek:.

Anyhow hopefully the website's teething problems are over and it is working fine (I promise the application IS much more stable than the website atm. ;)) and if it doesn't work send me a PM. I have also uploaded some more screenshots and they give a pretty good idea of the progress I've made, all the stuff in the screenshots basically works correctly, running attacks and casting spells doesn't work yet.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
And to continue my spamming of this thread I have now stuck a free download (I decided charging was silly in the end ;) ) up online, give it a try if you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.