PDA

View Full Version : 30gb ipod will only hold 140 songs

eillehs
Jan 29, 2007, 01:59 AM
Recently I was getting a slew of errors with my 30gb ipod photo so I decided to get a fresh start and format my ipod. After this format I tried loading my library onto the ipod (a little over 5,000 songs) and it would only hold 140 songs, max! It gave me the could not update, unknown error (-69) message. I formatted again, and again had the same problem. It's not a particular song...it loads up to 140 no matter what songs they are. This is so bizarre. I have scoured the internet looking for solutions and have seen one or two other people with the same problem but no one has an answer. If anyone has a suggestion I would try anything. I don't want to invest another $350! Thank you.

bartelby
Jan 29, 2007, 02:12 AM
Recently I was getting a slew of errors with my 30gb ipod photo so I decided to get a fresh start and format my ipod. After this format I tried loading my library onto the ipod (a little over 5,000 songs) and it would only hold 140 songs, max! It gave me the could not update, unknown error (-69) message. I formatted again, and again had the same problem. It's not a particular song...it loads up to 140 no matter what songs they are. This is so bizarre. I have scoured the internet looking for solutions and have seen one or two other people with the same problem but no one has an answer. If anyone has a suggestion I would try anything. I don't want to invest another $350! Thank you.

What does the capacity show up as in Disk Utility?

eillehs
Jan 29, 2007, 02:13 AM
What does the capacity show up as in Disk Utility?

27.8GB! It makes absolutely no sense :confused:

bartelby
Jan 29, 2007, 02:14 AM
27.8GB! It makes absolutely no sense :confused:

Hmmmmmm...

And you've Restored the iPod via iTunes?

eillehs
Jan 29, 2007, 02:19 AM
Hmmmmmm...

And you've Restored the iPod via iTunes?
Yeah. Maybe the hard drive is toast and it's a lost cause. Or something to do with the usb cable. It's a long shot but I'm going to try using a different one.

bartelby
Jan 29, 2007, 02:23 AM
I just found this on the Apple site, have you seen it?

iTunes displays a -69 error when syncing iPod
When you try to sync files to any iPod in iTunes on a Mac or Windows computer, you might see the following -69 error message:

"Attempting to copy to the disk failed. An unknown error occurrred (-69)"
This error occurs when iTunes tries to send files to your iPod, but a file (or files) is unusable (something is wrong with it).

To figure out which file (or files) is causing the error, update to the latest version of iTunes and then do this:

Control-click (Mac) or right-click (Windows) on your iPod icon in the iTunes Source pane, then choose Sync Songs from the shortcut menu.
Watch the display at the top of the iTunes window while your iPod is being updated. The name of the problematic file should appear in the display right before the error appears.
Then remove the bad file from the list of songs to be synced to your iPod:

Open iTunes Preferences. Mac users: From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences. Windows users: On the Edit menu, click Preferences.
Select the iPod in the iTunes Source pane.
Click the Settings tab.
Select the "Only sync checked items" checkbox (please note that this checkbox is only available for an iPod configured to update automatically).
Select the appropriate item under Library in the sidebar and find the bad file in the list. (For example, if the file in question was a song you would select Music in the iTunes Source pane. If it were a video you would select Movies or TV Shows in the sidebar.)
Deselect the checkbox next to the file name.
Repeat steps 1 and 2 to update your iPod. If you have multiple problematic files in your iTunes library, you may need to repeat the other steps to remove them too.
To prevent future issues, you should delete the unusable files from your iTunes library, then restore them from a backup or reimport them from a CD.

If you're not able to isolate to any single file or if another iPod works with the same songs, then disconnect any other devices connected to USB or FireWire and try again. If the issue continues, then then try resetting your iPod. If the issue continues, then restore your iPod.

eillehs
Jan 29, 2007, 02:27 AM
I just found this on the Apple site, have you seen it?

Yep I read it, and although that's the same error, I have a different problem. no matter what songs I upload i get the error. This leads me to believe it's not a corrupted song as the apple website suggests...I have searched all the forums on this topic and tried so many things but no one seems to know. Which is why I'm thinking about giving up because one person who had the same problem said that it was just a hard drive failure and they had to buy a new ipod.

bartelby
Jan 29, 2007, 02:29 AM
Yep I read it, and although that's the same error, I have a different problem. no matter what songs I upload i get the error. This leads me to believe it's not a corrupted song as the apple website suggests...I have searched all the forums on this topic and tried so many things but no one seems to know. Which is why I'm thinking about giving up because one person who had the same problem said that it was just a hard drive failure and they had to buy a new ipod.

You could replace the HD. It's actually very easy to do.

eillehs
Jan 29, 2007, 02:32 AM
That's true. At least that would only set me back $100 or so. Thanks for your suggestions...I appreciate the fast help.

maceleven
Jan 29, 2007, 04:38 AM
go to ipodresq.com you could prpbably but\y the part from them

iW00t
Jan 29, 2007, 05:34 AM

Actually you can't.

The firmware is loaded on the HD itself and buying any off the shelf HD plain does not work.

bartelby
Jan 29, 2007, 05:41 AM
Actually you can't.

The firmware is loaded on the HD itself and buying any off the shelf HD plain does not work.

So all those companies selling replacment iPod drives are selling you items you can't use?
So they're advertising products that are not "Fit For Purpose"?

I think not!

whooleytoo
Jan 29, 2007, 06:17 AM

If you want to be absolutely certain it's not a corrupted file, there are a few ways to be sure (copy files across 5 at a time, and see if the problem still occurs at the same point, or make 141 copies of the same song file - one that you know transfers ok - and try syncing them all).

Once you're certain that's not the problem, you could try opening Disk Utility while your iPod is mounted, click on the iPod disk (not the iPod volume) and at the bottom of the window you should see its S.M.A.R.T. Status, that might tell you if there's a problem with the hard disk.

KD7IWP
Jan 29, 2007, 10:32 AM
Does S.M.A.R.T. work for USB disks?

lozanoj83
Jan 29, 2007, 08:32 PM
Does S.M.A.R.T. work for USB disks?

I dont think S.M.A.R.T. status works for USB Drives.. my Disk-utility tells me S.M.A.R.T. Status is not supported..

heres my 2 cents,
try reformatting with Disk Utility, then erase it again, then plug it into iTunes, and restore it through there.. then try putting one song file at a time...
its a long shot.. but it may work..