PDA

View Full Version : Oprah gives away iPods to entire audience


tjwett
May 21, 2003, 03:46 PM
Yup, she just handed out 350 free 15Giggers to an audience of confused chicks. They were WAY more excited about the free flip-flops and lotion. What a waste. I don't think any of them knew what the hell it was. And no, I don't normally watch Oprah, I swear.


http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200305/tows_past_20030521_b.jhtml

Mr. Anderson
May 21, 2003, 03:49 PM
Hahaha - that's pretty damn funny. So what did she say when she gave them out?

D

tjwett
May 21, 2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Hahaha - that's pretty damn funny. So what did she say when she gave them out?

D

I don't know, it was weird. All these women were screaming because Oprah apparently was giving away all this free stuff and then she was like; "Check this out...the iPod!". And then it was just like this dead silence. You could hear crickets in there. I think the only 2 guys in the crowd were psyched but the women had no clue what it was. They didn't make a peep until Oprah announced that it costs $399. Then they all went ape$h!t. It was pretty funny.

Phazer80s
May 21, 2003, 03:57 PM
Well, her entire STUDIO audience, that is.

Today she included the Apple iPod as one of her Favorite Things for Spring, and gave away 15-gig models to her studio audience. Jealousy's setting in...

It would have been cool to have the iTunes Music Store included, but we can't have everything. Regardless, mention of an Apple product that's 'everybody-ready' (Mac AND Windows compatible, all over the world) makes it better for O's audience. The promo is a bit of the mainstream exposure Apple needs in abundance. :cool:

If you get a chance to see the show, originally broadcast on May 21, 2003, the iPod segment came a bit after the 30-minute point.

http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200305/tows_past_20030521_b.jhtml

Phazer80s
May 21, 2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by tjwett
[B]Yup, she just handed out 350 free 15Giggers to an audience of confused chicks. They were WAY more excited about the free flip-flops and lotion. What a waste.

Maybe those iPods will go to good homes.:p

patrick0brien
May 21, 2003, 04:33 PM
-Aaaak!

And I live only five blocks from the bloody studio!

&$%#

bennetsaysargh
May 21, 2003, 04:39 PM
i saw it becvause my mom now starts getting excited whenever anything apple comes on TV. she was like "holy ******!"
i was in complete awe. i can't believe it! i hope the people in the audience know that you have to put your own music onto it:D

tjwett
May 21, 2003, 04:41 PM
Who is editing this thread? The original subject I posted has been changed and I didn't have an Oprah link in my original post. Weird.

LethalWolfe
May 21, 2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by tjwett
Who is editing this thread? The original subject I posted has been changed and I didn't have an Oprah link in my original post. Weird.


Look at the very bottom of your first post.


Lethal

tjwett
May 21, 2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
Look at the very bottom of your first post.


Lethal

I take it that's a moderator? I guess so because it's been moved, I originally posted in General. Oh well, I couldn't care less, just I've never seen that happen before.

eyelikeart
May 21, 2003, 05:45 PM
Mr. Anderson is a moderator...it says so under his name...as does under my own... ;)

but that is quite sad...I would have loved the free flip flops myself... :eek: :D

DarkNovaMatter
May 21, 2003, 05:54 PM
LOLS! I was flipping around the channels and noticed that Opera was on (never watched it before, I am more of a Deus Ex person....) and since I had read this topic before I still had it in my mind. It was the show you were speaking of, SON OF A *****! All the women in the audience were wondering what the heck the iPod was but the few guys looked liked kids on X-mas morning. The women only started to cheer when they were told how many songs it could hold and its price (That really seemed sort of odd). Oh the ipod dock has an audio out port on it? or were they using the jack on the iPod itself? My only other question is did Apple give 350 iPods or did Opera buy 350 iPods? (350x400 = $140,000). Oh is this a show that they simply give away items to the crowd?, It sure seems like that............

bennetsaysargh
May 21, 2003, 06:01 PM
Oprah usually buys the stuff and gives it out because she has money. :( I really wish I had that kind of money.:(

tazo
May 21, 2003, 06:19 PM
i am so ****ing jealous. lol. gawd and they are free tickets to the show. writing in a letter to get tickets...and a 400 dollar ipod. wow.

Ugg
May 21, 2003, 06:49 PM
Talk about absolutely priceless advertising! Can you imagine what this will do for iPod sales?! I don't watch tv but from what I hear about Oprah, whenever she endorses something sales skyrocket.

applemacdude
May 21, 2003, 06:49 PM
i want an ipod...:(

bennetsaysargh
May 21, 2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by applemacdude
i want an ipod...:(

Don't worry. You can save up for an iPod. I'm your age (about), and it only took me a year and a half (since they came out) to save up for the mid range. Birthday gift cards, Christmas gift cards, and various odd jobs for nieghbors is how I got it. Unless if you have rich parents, which I don't, that's what you gotta do! If in your state it's possible to get a P/T job, then try that.

applemacdude
May 21, 2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
Don't worry. You can save up for an iPod. I'm your age (about), and it only took me a year and a half (since they came out) to save up for the mid range. Birthday gift cards, Christmas gift cards, and various odd jobs for nieghbors is how I got it. Unless if you have rich parents, which I don't, that's what you gotta do! If in your state it's possible to get a P/T job, then try that.

im gonna save up until the next revision

tazo
May 21, 2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
Don't worry. You can save up for an iPod. I'm your age (about), and it only took me a year and a half (since they came out) to save up for the mid range. Birthday gift cards, Christmas gift cards, and various odd jobs for nieghbors is how I got it. Unless if you have rich parents, which I don't, that's what you gotta do! If in your state it's possible to get a P/T job, then try that.
1.5 years for 400 dollars? my gawd that is a long time.

Gymnut
May 21, 2003, 08:19 PM
I wonder what % of the studio audience will utilize the iPod. What a waste. I hope they have the decency to give it to a Mac crazy relative. :mad:

Vlade
May 21, 2003, 09:07 PM
Time to check ebay for a surplus of 15 gigers :p

applemacdude
May 21, 2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by patrick0broen
-Aaaak!

And I live only five blocks from the bloody studio!

&$%#

sucks for u

tjwett
May 22, 2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by tazo
i am so ****ing jealous. lol. gawd and they are free tickets to the show. writing in a letter to get tickets...and a 400 dollar ipod. wow.

dude, forget $400. turns out she gave away over a MILLION dollars worth of crap to that audience of 348 women and 2 dudes. my sister said Oprah does that sometimes, usually around Christmas. and yeah, she pays for all of it herself. poor Oprah, her life must really suck huh?

JaKweeze
May 22, 2003, 05:05 AM
ACTUALLYYYY if you guys all care that much while I was visiting my grandma this afternoon and watching opera with her (which she actually looked hot for part of the show... weird I know... specially since I'm only 20 and Opera is about one of five black people I've seen including Kurby Pucket (yes I'm from Minnesota)) ANY WAY... all the companies that are the makers of those products DONATE them to the show... she states in there that if they won't give her 350 of their items she won't put them on her favorites list and not advertise them on the show...

Furthermore there were 6 guys in the audience... only two got shown a lot because they kept on their nice spring crunchable hats that Opera gave them lol

=D

and yes I about crapped myself too when they put out the iPods...

and they were playing the music from the iPod not through the craddle but they had it plugged in through the headphone jack at the top using the wired remote then a black cord attached to that of some sort... probably a mini-stereo jack to RCA Stereo...

:)

~JaKweeze

P.s.
Opera is now my Hero lol

JaKweeze
May 22, 2003, 05:08 AM
Oh one more thing...

she said that they were giving away over 1million dollars that show to the audience... that's THREE THOUSAND bucks worth of crap per person just for sitting through an hour of Opera... I'd take that

And I think the guys would have looked better if they would have made them try on the sheek bras she was giving out =)

i_am_a_cow
May 22, 2003, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by JaKweeze
I know... specially since I'm only 20 and Opera is about one of five black people I've seen including Kurby Pucket (yes I'm from Minnesota)) ANY WAY... all the companies that are the makers of those products DONATE them to the show... she states in there that if they won't give her 350 of their items she won't put them on her favorites list and not advertise them on the show...

Furthermore there were 6 guys in the audience... only two got shown a lot because they kept on their nice spring crunchable hats that Opera gave them lol

=D



Hey now, I'm from Minneapolis and it's very racially mixed, so don't make people think that Minnesota is an all-white place or anything. :eek:

JaKweeze
May 22, 2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by i_am_a_cow
Hey now, I'm from Minneapolis and it's very racially mixed, so don't make people think that Minnesota is an all-white place or anything. :eek:

hahaha I'm from Fairmont on I-90 on the IA border... the only black people I've seen here were lost I think... we do have a fair share of hispanics though does that count????

=D

(sidenote way off topic: I drove to FL two weeks ago... on the drive in GA alone I saw more black people than I have in the rest of my entire life combined... it was weird... doesn't make a difference that they're black at all... just never seen a black person before)

OutThere
May 22, 2003, 08:19 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Good apple publicity tho

plehrack
May 22, 2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
Oprah usually buys the stuff and gives it out because she has money. :( I really wish I had that kind of money.:(

Oprah does a show like this every year usually around Christmas. She puts together a list of things she thinks are cool, then contacts the companys who make them and asks if they will donate them. If not, she doesn't give them away. This way it works great for the studio audience and also for the companies involved in the way of free advertising. Who wouldn't want to see people going crazy over their products on one of the biggest shows on daytime TV. Over a million dollars worth of items were given away, the iPod being the coolest.

Peter Lehrack
(Oprah watcher.....don't tell anyone)

maradong
May 22, 2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Hahaha - that's pretty damn funny. So what did she say when she gave them out?

D
no it is not.
:D
what a waste

bennetsaysargh
May 22, 2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by tazo
1.5 years for 400 dollars? my gawd that is a long time.

im only 14. how old are you tazo?

tazo
May 22, 2003, 07:00 PM
Bennett,

I am sorry for the comment, it was rude of me. Since sometimes people type faster then they think it can become apparent online. Sorry dude. And I am 15.5

It was especially rude of me since I am saving for an iPod as well, and only have saved up about 120 dollars in about 4 mo.

bennetsaysargh
May 22, 2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by tazo
Bennett,

I am sorry for the comment, it was rude of me. Since sometimes people type faster then they think it can become apparent online. Sorry dude. And I am 15.5

It was especially rude of me since I am saving for an iPod as well, and only have saved up about 120 dollars in about 4 mo.

no problem tazo. keep on saving!:D

tazo
May 22, 2003, 07:27 PM
yeah. if every politician was not making 80k+ year and 60, then maybe people under 16 would be able to get a job, a real job, like with a title, and a paycheck. Maybe even a uniform. but alas, we are restricted to mowing lawns, taking out the trash, chores, and the occasional washing the car. maybe some day teenagers world wide will have the same rights that older teenagers have.

-tazo

edit: needed to insert 'not' and fix spacing.

bennetsaysargh
May 22, 2003, 07:29 PM
i want to get a job in the summer, because i got my working papers. how old do you have to be where you live? im waiting untill the school year is over to get one. eMac:D:D

tazo
May 22, 2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
i want to get a job in the summer, because i got my working papers. how old do you have to be where you live? im waiting untill the school year is over to get one. eMac:D:D

In WA you only, I cant believe I say only :rolleyes: 15.5. Its a travesty, honestly it is, that a decent hard working good kid, whether they be 14 or 15, cannot get a job bagging groceries or scooping ice cream. HOW MUCH TALENT DOES IT REQURE TO PUT THE SODA IN, THEN THE BREAD? I mean if it was a dangerous job I could undesrstand, you don't want 14 and 15 year olds working with the meat slicers, but bagging groceries, scooping ice cream? These are jobs in most states restrictred to 16 year olds. Luckily in Washington State, the minimum age is 15.5, my current age (i was 15.5 on may 1). I am currently looking for work, although I truly only have two options at thiis point in time: Safeway (a grocery store in case they dont have them where u live) as a bagger, or Baskin-Robbins 31 (ice cream shop) as clerk or whatever. I will be makin minimum wage but I would gladly take it. Don't lawmakers realize instead of doing drugs or go having unsafe sex useful teenagers could be in a job, making money, supporting their local economy? Nope. Because that doesn't matter, just the bottom line. More teens working, means ya gotta give em rights, and that my friend, is what is stopping federal lawmakers from lowering the national minimum age to work, to 15.

-tazo

bennetsaysargh
May 22, 2003, 08:38 PM
politicians don't care because it won't help them get votes come next election, so they don't even bother. the only reason they do a lot of things is to make the voters happy. i think it's stupid. in NY it's 14, and i turned 14 in march. there aren't a lot of places hiring that will hire 14 year olds. most places want 16 or older for positions. it really sucks.

JaKweeze
May 23, 2003, 03:54 PM
Hey! Let me tell you... jobs other than mowing laws... SUCK lol

Being 20 now and mowing lawns in the summers since I was about 13 I've made about ermmm <does a lil math> 35,000$ dollers since 13 till the start of this summer (being 20 now)

I've also had tons of other jobs... was a waiter and a host at Perkins, a life guard at the Aquatic Park, worked at Subway, Dobson Lange and Associates (investment firm), worked for the Fine City Of Fairmont (MN) and Best Buy, HeartLan Computers... I think that's all of them... I could be missing one or two... don't remember them all.. but I think all of the money I made from all those jobs combined isn't a 1/4 of the money I made mowing lawns just during the summer months :)

And I think the reason you can't work for "somebody" under 15 here is... <cough cough> child labor laws that prevent all our lil kids from working in shoe factories.

"I saw joey sow his hands together!", "yesterday... I Made a Doller!" ~GTA3 VC

~Jocko
Proud owner of two 20gig iPods

P.s.
(this post doesn't include my current income from a newly landed 3Dannimation job this past two months)

tazo
May 23, 2003, 05:55 PM
I think that if I had saved up all the money I have received over the years, like birthdays and hanukhahs and christmases and easters and valentines days and....anyway plus all the money I have ever earned, I would be the proud owner of 2 23'' cinema displays and a nice little dual 1.42 powermac :) but alas, hindsight is 20/20

bennetsaysargh
May 23, 2003, 07:44 PM
im saving up for a 14inch iBook. i want to be able to go outside and be online. i really want my own computer, that only i can go on:D

wdlove
May 24, 2003, 10:32 AM
bennetsaysargh & tazo this is the best time of you life. You should try to enjoy what you have now. It's hard to realize it now, but you have the rest of your life to work!

tazo
May 25, 2003, 02:16 AM
but not the rest of our lives to keep everything we earn after taxes :)

bennetsaysargh
May 25, 2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by wdlove
bennetsaysargh & tazo this is the best time of you life. You should try to enjoy what you have now. It's hard to realize it now, but you have the rest of your life to work!

don't worry, i won't work a lot, just enough money to go out with friends once in a while:D

ps-taxes suck:D

job
May 25, 2003, 10:40 AM
enjoy the tax-free income from mowing lawns, babysitting, etc.

work ain't all that it's cracked up to be. sure, it's a steady flow of income but taxes suck. bigtime. :D

i'd rather be paid $50~$60 (tax-free!) to play Gamecube with an 8 year old for 10 hours (i.e. babysitting ;)) than work at my job for 10 hours.

[edit: oh, i'm also saving for a 15GB iPod. the $40, 4 year replacement plan at best buy is amazing.]

bennetsaysargh
May 25, 2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by job
enjoy the tax-free income from mowing lawns, babysitting, etc.

work ain't all that it's cracked up to be. sure, it's a steady flow of income but taxes suck. bigtime. :D

i'd rather be paid $50~$60 (tax-free!) to play Gamecube with an 8 year old for 10 hours (i.e. babysitting ;)) than work at my job for 10 hours.

[edit: oh, i'm also saving for a 15GB iPod. the $40, 4 year replacement plan at best buy is amazing.]

you'll be happy with your iPod:D:D:D

jelloshotsrule
May 25, 2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by job
the $40, 4 year replacement plan at best buy is amazing.]

what is that???

wdlove
May 25, 2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by tazo
but not the rest of our lives to keep everything we earn after taxes :)

The simple answer to fix that problem is to never vote for another Democrat!

wdlove
May 25, 2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
don't worry, i won't work a lot, just enough money to go out with friends once in a while:D

ps-taxes suck:D

If the Democrats can get back into power, it's guaranteed that taxes will go up! I agree that it will, big time! :(

job
May 25, 2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
what is that???

i was reading about this best buy warrenty plan thing at the ipodlounge.com forums. apparently if you pay $40, they will cover your purchase for four years. i.e. if the ipod breaks due to any reason during the four years, they will replace it, no questions asked.

i'm going to best buy next week to check this out for myself.

[edit: check out this thread (http://ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=424) for the specifics.]

Vlade
May 26, 2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by wdlove
If the Democrats can get back into power, it's guaranteed that taxes will go up! I agree that it will, big time! :(

Then the billion airs will only have 80% of there billions of dollars. boo hoo.

wdlove
May 26, 2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Vlade
Then the billion airs will only have 80% of there billions of dollars. boo hoo.

If you have a family and make more than $60,000 per year the Democrat Party considers you rich. It's just not the 1% that they are after!

Vlade
May 26, 2003, 11:21 AM
Lets just not argue... its pointless.

wdlove
May 26, 2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Vlade
Lets just not argue... its pointless.

I didn't think that we were arguing. I'm sorry if I gave you that impression. Don't like to hurt anyone! :(

screamin' b
Aug 4, 2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by plehrack
Oprah does a show like this every year usually around Christmas. She puts together a list of things she thinks are cool, then contacts the companys who make them and asks if they will donate them. If not, she doesn't give them away. This way it works great for the studio audience and also for the companies involved in the way of free advertising. Who wouldn't want to see people going crazy over their products on one of the biggest shows on daytime TV. Over a million dollars worth of items were given away, the iPod being the coolest.

Peter Lehrack
(Oprah watcher.....don't tell anyone)

____________________________

Hi. I know this is off-topic, but are you Peter from LA (pete, peter, hugh) that i'm looking for? Bob Hernandez (me) is lookin' for ya!
I hope this thing will notify you because i can't imagine you'll be going back to check up on Oprah replies from 2002! hehe

I'll post something somewhere else too!

ok, bye!