PDA

View Full Version : Which pair of $99 headphones should I get?

Zwhaler
Jan 30, 2007, 05:59 PM
Ok, I am in the market for new headphones for my iPod, and have done some research and limited my choice down to two headphones. I was at first going to go with the Bose In Ear, but today I noticed that there is a new set that I might want to look into. So all of you guys out there who own either of these headphones try to give me some input on what I should end up buying.

By the way, my preference of music is rock. Anything from metal to alternative to classic rock. I will listen to rap occasionally, so I don't want my headphones to lack bass. I don't want whicever pair that is strong in one category (like treble or midrange for example) but is lacking in another. I perfer balance, but I want it to sound good too. I want a nice fit, but I don't care if they fall out if you are jogging etc. I just want them to stay in my ear when I walk.

Ok, here's a link to the two headphones:
Thanks in advance.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6FCE9026&nplm=TK727VC%2FA

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=E1CA4AD0&nplm=TK971LL%2FA

holamiamigos
Jan 30, 2007, 06:04 PM
the first ones cause ive tried both

mdickson
Jan 30, 2007, 06:27 PM
If you have to choose one of those two I'd go with the Bose.

But I'd definitely rather have E2C's.

Zwhaler
Jan 30, 2007, 06:35 PM
I could go with the E2C's but personally I would rather have these other two based on peoples reviews on the E2Cs, there are quite a few things people don't like about them.

mdickson
Jan 30, 2007, 06:37 PM
I could go with the E2C's but personally I would rather have these other two based on peoples reviews on the E2Cs, there are quite a few things people don't like about them.

I really could not be any more happy with my E2C's.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you buy, though.

mdickson
Jan 30, 2007, 06:39 PM
Just a heads up, you can get E2C's for $69 on amazon.

The Toon Master
Jan 30, 2007, 07:02 PM
I own a bose in-ear. They are pretty good, but it cnly comes with one set of each thing, and they easily come off. Haven't used 2nd one

WildPalms
Jan 30, 2007, 07:03 PM
Sennheiser PC 150 or PC 160 - great sound, boom mic for iChat, etc ;)

Ignore post - not relevant (I really should learn to read the ENTIRE post LOL)

Zwhaler
Jan 30, 2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the replies. Can anyone give me a (at least a little bit) detailed experience or review for the second ones? Id rather hear from you guys.

Canerican
Jan 30, 2007, 07:09 PM
I have the sure E4s and the sure E2s... They are both amazing, I tried alot of headphones and chose the Shures for a reason...

WildPalms
Jan 30, 2007, 07:12 PM
I use these: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=004854

The sound is great, but my favourite essential extra is the volume control on the headphone wire - I'm constantly adjusting volume when commuting. I run a lot of Sennheiser gear from my $700 studio cans to my ear buds and all the in betweens I have collected, and I swear by Sennheiser.

tom5304
Jan 30, 2007, 07:41 PM
I tried the Bose in-ear for a few weeks, and although they are fine, they just didn't seem to be worth $100 to me. I returned them.

I next went with the Ultimate Ears Studio Pro 3, and I can tell you they're the best in-ear headphones I've ever heard. I prefer clarity in the mids and highs, instead of booming bass, and that pretty much describes the Ultimate Ears 3s. In fact, I've never heard ANY headphone that had the clarity of the Ultimate Ears 3s, and I own a set of Bose Triports. The little UE 3s, sound far superior to the Bose over-the-ear Triports.

Other pluses for me: The cords are robust, and resist tangling. The cords are replaceable. The behind-the-ear cord placement, although odd at first, really helps isolate cord noise. The main cord is relatively short, so I don't get it caught on things like I did with a previous set of Panasonic in-ears, which seemed about five feet long and got caught on every doorknob I walked past!

thegoldenmackid
Jan 30, 2007, 07:45 PM
i have had shure e2's, e3's, e4's and e5's....i couldnt be happier all of them were great buys, and awesome...the e2's reserve some hate, but mainly from people that arent looking for iem's, i tried the bose-the shure e2's win hands down, the bose look like crap compared..

iSaint
Jan 30, 2007, 08:13 PM
I'm going to put my vote in for you to consider the Shure e2cs. I bought a pair recently and they're incredible!

thestaton
Jan 30, 2007, 08:51 PM
I had the Shure E3c's and they where ok but lacked bass. I got a pair of Ultimate Ears 5 something. You can find those for about $100 on eBay and are amazing.

thebrain74
Jan 30, 2007, 10:03 PM
most deff. dont get B(L)OSE. They dont make great stuff. Besides the v-moda vibes are fun 'phones with decent base, well suited for rock, plus there made of metal not plastic.

people have mentioned shure e2, they're not too shabby either:)

Astral Cars
Feb 1, 2007, 12:40 AM
I've got the V-Moda Vibes, I like them a lot. Great sound, reasonable isolation and pretty comfortable. My ears are typically picky about in-ears, but the vibes have fit pretty comfortably, I actually wear them with the cord over the ear to reduce the microphonics and they're most comfortable like that. I'd say they're definitely worth the money (I think you can get them cheaper other places) and would certainly recommend them over the Bose ones. The Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 Studios look good too, and lots of people praise the Shure line. But if at all possible try them out before you buy and see for yourself which ones you like best. Good luck.

el greenerino
Feb 1, 2007, 01:02 AM
First of all, I'd suggest you find a retailer with a generous return policy so you can try whatever in-ear headphones you see fit.

Second of all, sound preference is a very subjective thing.

Third of all, the consensus amongst the geek crowd is that anything Bose is for saps, except for maybe their noise-cancelling headphones (which sound like a $100 set of cans that can merely cancel noise well). I haven't heard their in-ear headphones but everything else I've heard, and many other people I trust, will stand by the claim that Bose's consumer products sell because people are mistakingly equating price with quality.

Headphones I use, Shure E2C. They have an understated sound. Not too tinny or bassy. On Apple's website you'll see people claiming that the headphones have poor bass. True, these might not produce enough bass for some but most likely the user isn't putting the headphones in correctly.

Personal opinion, you'll look like someone who's naive and doesn't know how to get the most for their money by using anything by Bose.

However people say that about mac users all the time :) .

shikimo
Feb 1, 2007, 01:48 AM
My E2Cs rule, and have ruled every day for over 3 years. They come with a fantastic array of accessories that should fit any ear on the planet, and sound great (plenty of base for me, but I know that's a matter of opinion).

A note on service after sale: my first pair, bought at the Apple Store in Pittsburgh, were defective (one ear out). Apple store said "not our problem, mail them to the factory in Illinios," which I did after calling (great phone service). I received a new set, unopened with all accessories, in less than a week, and they've been perfect ever since.

I really like to spend my money with companies who do business properly.

shikimo
Feb 1, 2007, 01:51 AM
Oh yeah, about Bose: top of the line stuff is fantastic, everything else is overpriced garbage propped up by a brand name that used to mean quality. You'll be mad later if you buy their 99 dollar headphones.

Flyinace2000
Feb 1, 2007, 08:48 AM
Grado SR-80's once you listen you will never go back.

Zwhaler
Feb 1, 2007, 08:31 PM
Oh yeah, about Bose: top of the line stuff is fantastic, everything else is overpriced garbage propped up by a brand name that used to mean quality. You'll be mad later if you buy their 99 dollar headphones.

Thanks for the advice. Oh... I love the sig... great movie!

bousozoku
Feb 1, 2007, 08:47 PM
I noticed that Sam's Club here got Shure E2Cs at Christmas and they're still trying to sell them for $79, if it makes any difference to you.

jono_3
Feb 1, 2007, 08:51 PM
akg 141 are awesome, if you dont mind larger headphnes, they will change the way you listen to music though :)

thebrain74
Feb 1, 2007, 09:40 PM
I also thought I should throw in that Shure has EXCELLENT customer service and they are generous with replacement tips.

j3tang
Feb 1, 2007, 10:26 PM
maybe u should save urself some money and consider these:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212259

Dirt cheap, but damn good ..

I personally have a pair of er6i, and i bought my gf a pair of those "marshmellows"

nsbio
Feb 1, 2007, 10:28 PM
I own the v-moda low-end earbuds, not in-ear, and they sound pretty good for what they are. I expect the in-ear to be on par with the competition, although I admit I have not seen those in person. The company is new (less than two years old?), but their customer service is very good.

If you decide to get these over Bose, do it on Amazon for less than at the Apple store.

kugino
Feb 1, 2007, 10:39 PM
of those two, i'd go with the v-moda.

but if you want more choices and more reviews of similar kinds of earbuds and in-ear monitors (IEMs), go to www.head-fi.org and you'll get a lot of information. but note that not many will say good things about bose there ;)

for under $100 i would concur with other posters here that the shure e2c is a good choice, as are the etymotic er6i, the westone um1, and a bunch of others.

SactoGuy18
Feb 2, 2007, 10:35 PM
I wonder has anyone tried the Creative Labs Aurvana headphone? I've listened to them and they're actually quite good. Mind you, the Shure e3c is probably better but then you are playing US$70 more for this Shure model.

JBazz
Feb 2, 2007, 11:02 PM
Audio Technica (http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-EC7GM-Clip-on-Earbud-Headphones-NEW_W0QQitemZ150086226045QQihZ005QQcategoryZ88761QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

or

if you have to have earbuds, these (http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-CM7SV-Lightweight-Ear-Buds-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ250079460254QQihZ015QQcategoryZ88761QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

wako
Feb 2, 2007, 11:20 PM
Yuck...

I hate anything by Bose...

The sound quality and clarity for the same price can you get you alot better stuff.

Bose tends to exaggerate the bass way too much, which basically is not replicating the sound as it should. Why would anyone pay so much money for such bad sound is beyond me...

Ugh... bassheads....

ruZZ.il
Mar 22, 2007, 06:23 PM
I just got a pair of them v-mode vibes for my lady, they're truly great sounding headphones. I'm an akg man now.. on the compact k26p but I'm interested in increasing my arsenal sometime soon.. I built myself a cmoy op-amp based pocket amp (recommended little project for any audio/electronic enthusiasts)
anyway, I havent heard the bose but if you like IEMs, vibes got my thums up. 88 bucks on amazon I think.. my k26's go for just over half that though and are slightly more my audio-style...
I've got my eye on some grados or ultrasone..

vi2867
Mar 26, 2007, 10:57 AM
I have tried the following:

Bose in ear
Moda
JBL in ear
Shure e2c

Here is my take on all 4: Bose has the 2nd best sound of the four. I returned them because they just did not stay in my ear, they would pop out. Moda they have the worst sound of the four, they just look good. JBL they have the third best sound, but their sound is about the same as the headphones you get with the iPod, so why would you spend $79, when you can spend $29 for the iPod headphones. The e2c has the best sound of the four. The problem with e2c is you have to have the cord go around your ear, and it seemed uncomfortable to me.

I really liked the griffin ear-jams that worked with the old iPod headphones. They really made a difference, and brought the iPod headphones to a higher level. Unfortunately, apple decided to change the style of the iPod headphones and now the ear-jams no longer work with the new headphones.

TheSpaz
Mar 26, 2007, 12:47 PM
These are the best headphones I've ever used. The sound is amazing and they're so comfortable. Also, what's great about them is that it is an 1/8" jack but, it comes with a SCREW-ON 1/4" adapter. The 1/4" adapter is all metal so the threads will stay in good condition. It's really nice to have it screw on too because you know the connection will stay solid. Check them out, they really are amazing... plus, I think they're only about $60. Here's a link: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/7041339ec2fdcc12/index.html

abeyk
Mar 26, 2007, 04:25 PM
I would recommend the V-moda's, they sound great and are very comfortable. You can get them at amazon for 81 USD.

Diatribe
Mar 26, 2007, 04:37 PM
Review of the v-moda vibes. (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2798052)

I am still searching myself. I guess the only way to be really sure is to try them yourself.

SactoGuy18
Apr 17, 2007, 09:36 PM
By the way, I got myself through Amazon.com the Etymotic Research ER-6i headphone for US$70.

Excellent in-ear headphone, with superb noise isolation and clean, balanced sound that will blow both the Shure E2c and Bose TriPort IE away. It doesn't have deep bass but what bass is there is clean and really tight. :)

ToddW
Apr 17, 2007, 09:45 PM
i've got a pair of e2c's and they are a great pair of sub $100 IEMs. my main pair of IEMs that i use with my ipod are my UE super fi 5 pros and those things kick butt. their customer service is great. i have gone through about three cables and they keep getting replaced. it is not that the cable has malfunctioned, i just keep cutting them or getting them pinched my accident. all in all the e2c's are good. if you keep searching on the internet you should be able to find a pair of e3c's for around $100 as well.