Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I hope they free up the memory slot they are currently soldering 128MB into and let the 12" accomodate 1024 MB. Also if they could go to a DVI connection for monitor support. Would be nice if it vacuumed for me and would do the dishes, was able to take the trash out on garbage day, could achieve world peace, eliminate starvation, etc... but I'd settle for the first two.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
1Ghz Processor...

more initial RAM capacity, say 256 soldered onboard.

1MB Cache...

a 64mb graphics card of some sort...

Same price as well since the processors being used ain't state of the art either.
also i would expect the heat issue cleared up.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by CrackedButter

more initial RAM capacity, say 256 soldered onboard.

I actually believe Apple will do the right thing for once, and solder 256 MB onto the mobo. then we can get up to 768 Mb. 640 is enough for me I guess, but definetly not for others. 768 MB will help a bit.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i read a PowerBook timeline a couple of weeks ago from PowerPage.org and they said that the 12" should be updated around November i think it was. you should be able to find some info if you just do a search, the 12" Rev.B has spawned a few threads over the past month.

and about those 1GB RAM sticks, i thought that they weren't compatible with the 12", only the PowerMacs? has anyone tried them out? know any sites that have tested them?

Groovsonic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2002
Near Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by mactastic
I hope they free up the memory slot they are currently soldering 128MB into and let the 12" accomodate 1024 MB. Also if they could go to a DVI connection for monitor support. Would be nice if it vacuumed for me and would do the dishes, was able to take the trash out on garbage day, could achieve world peace, eliminate starvation, etc... but I'd settle for the first two.

Well, I think we'd all think those things, but I'd be really happy with 1ghz, 256mb standard (and not 2 128 sticks, either...grr) expandable to more than 640mb, and the DVI connection. Will we really see all three of those things... I doubt it. If we do, I would seriousl consider buying one.

Groovsonic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2002
Near Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by cb911
i read a PowerBook timeline a couple of weeks ago from PowerPage.org and they said that the 12" should be updated around November i think it was.

Do you really think it will be that long? It came out in january. Wouldn't that be a really long time between updates?

wallinbl

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2003
Originally posted by Groovsonic
Do you really think it will be that long?

No. I ordered one on Saturday (17th), which means that they will be updated next Tuesday (27th) with something that I really want.

Groovsonic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2002
Near Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by boxcar
what about throwing in L3 cache... is that too much to ask?

Forgive my ignorance... What does L3 cache do? What does it affect? Why wouldn't they have thrown it in already, since it is already on the other powerbooks?

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by cb911
i read a PowerBook timeline a couple of weeks ago from PowerPage.org and they said that the 12" should be updated around November i think it was...
that seems way too long. that would be almost a year. i'm thinking it will be around the 6 month mark, June in other words. i just bought mine last weekend, couldn't wait anymore. i'm sure i'll regret that in a few weeks. even if it just gets a speedbump i should have waited. it just looked too damn good. i'm thinking it will get a 1ghz processor, and maybe an L3 cache. and MAYBE even a backlit keyboard, but that's a longshot.

dennis88

macrumors member
May 13, 2003
I can't wait anymore, I'm buying a 12" powerbook in the shop tomorrow, no matter what you say. :D
It's here now, and it's damn cool, I don't want to just sit here and wait anymore.

I'm gonna buy it with combo drive, 640mb ram, and if they have an airport extreme card in the shop, I'm gonna buy that too.

The 15" will just be to big for me.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by dennis88
I can't wait anymore, I'm buying a 12" powerbook in the shop tomorrow, no matter what you say. :D
It's here now, and it's damn cool, I don't want to just sit here and wait anymore.

I'm gonna buy it with combo drive, 640mb ram, and if they have an airport extreme card in the shop, I'm gonna buy that too.

The 15" will just be to big for me.

nice! that's the way it came down for me. i just couldn't wait and i needed a machine. you won't regret it. use it for a year and then sell it. that's what i always do.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I think that if they added L3 Cache, it would make all the difference in the world in performance. A 1GHz processor and more RAM is a nice touch, though. They couldn't possibly have an update with simply added L3. I say L3 and a 1GHz cpu will make me happy.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
L3 cache is memory for the proc itself (different from RAM). There is L1 and L2 (usually on the proc itself) and then L3 on the motherboard. Lx cache usually runs at either full or 1/2 speed of the proc. Small but fast. L3 is a huge help for Large file manipulation (typical in Photoshop and other Altivec enabled apps).

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
That powerpage.org timeline also said that we would have the new 15" PowerBook this Monday (19th), so obviously, this timeline should be taken with a grain of salt.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
he he :)

i forgot what that timeline said about the 15" PowerBooks, but considering that i guess that waiting till November for the 12" PB's might be a bit much. but i don't think that the 12" will be updated in July, that's just too soon. i think Apple can milk the current 12" for a bit longer.

also, it looks like you can use those 1GB DDR RAM modules with the 12" PB. thanks for the link. :D

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
I say don't expect a faster G4 till the 7457... the AluBook-12 is plenty hot enough already, or so they say, and Apple certainly won't be redesigning the cooling system so soon after release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.