PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X 10.4.9 8P125/8P2125 Seeded

MacRumors
Feb 3, 2007, 09:16 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

According to published reports on the internet, Apple is very close to releasing the Mac OS X 10.4.9 (Tiger) update based on the latest seeds to both their developer and their customer seeding (https://appleseed.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SeedPortal) programs.

This broad seeding generally indicates that Apple believes that their update is ready for the masses. The final seed lists no known issues remaining to be fixed and details fixes to OpenGL, GraphicsDrivers Common Code, Core Image, Sync Services, ImageIO, CoreData and iSync.

This is the fourth consecutive week (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/25/apple-seeds-mac-os-x-10-4-9-8p2122/) of seeding a new 10.4.9 build from Apple.

failsafe1
Feb 3, 2007, 09:21 PM
Does this make people think that Leopard is far away? I hope not.

Stridder44
Feb 3, 2007, 09:27 PM
Cool bring it on.

plath
Feb 3, 2007, 09:34 PM
l33t but maybe i should just wait and not pay attention to these minor upgrades

siurpeeman
Feb 3, 2007, 09:38 PM
waiting for 10.5.

SkyBell
Feb 3, 2007, 09:40 PM
Meh, just another update. But as Strider44 said, Bring it on.

bousozoku
Feb 3, 2007, 09:51 PM
Does this make people think that Leopard is far away? I hope not.

It doesn't make me think that Leopard is any closer than it was. It will likely be a while.

Platform
Feb 3, 2007, 09:56 PM
10.4.9....hopefully 10.5 will come sooooon.....can't wait :D :apple:

Xavier
Feb 3, 2007, 10:00 PM
It could just mean they are finishing off Tiger by seeding a 10.4.9.

Soon we will all see the actual glory of 10.5! I can't wait

Bradley W
Feb 3, 2007, 10:07 PM
_

opuslab
Feb 3, 2007, 10:12 PM
Here comes the Tiger's finale...

guzhogi
Feb 3, 2007, 10:23 PM
Here comes the Tiger's finale...

This comes up with every time 10.4 is updated. Why does everyone think that .9 means no more updates? Can't we have 10.4.10, 10.4.11 and so on? Like Apple said, Think Different!

Chundles
Feb 3, 2007, 10:24 PM
OK folks, I'll get it out of the way for you:

newbie: "W00t! 10.4.9 iz teh last version of Tiger, bring on da Leapord"

normal member: "No, 10.4.9 is just a version number, they can have 10.4.10 or 10.567.123 if they want to, it's not a decimal point. How could it be a decimal point when there's already two of them in the version number anyway?"

newbie: "Whatever. Leapord iz gunna be out at teh Feb 20th event so 10.4.9 is gunna be teh last Tiger!"

normal member: "There's no way in hell that Leopard will be arriving any time soon - if there is an event on the 20th which so far there is no compelling evidence to suggest, we might get an extended preview of what's coming but the state of Leopard seeds to developers suggests a long wait before 10.5 comes out - I reckon April 10th will be the day."

newbie: "April 10th? So if I buy a MAC now will I get Leapord for free?"

normal member: "Not unless you buy the new Mac after the shipping date for Leopard is announced. Until then you'll have to pay for Leopard."

newbie: "That is teh suxx0rs. Apple is teh ghey."

Right, that's basically the gist of the thread so everyone can go back to their business and we'll probably see 10.4.9 next week sometime. iTunes 7.1 sometime the week after when the :apple: TV ships and after that the next big thing will either be a combined 10.5/iLife '07/iWork '07 launch in April or the latter two titles will get a quiet release in March and 10.5 will follow in April.

nitynate
Feb 3, 2007, 10:29 PM
"Actually, I do not think apple will release a 10.4.10 as that would be too confusing"

:p

Multimedia
Feb 3, 2007, 10:36 PM
Bring it on. Means not much further to 10.5.0 Leopard. Happy Spring '07. :)

butaro
Feb 3, 2007, 10:48 PM
chundles your post was quite annoying

Chundles
Feb 3, 2007, 10:51 PM

Ta. It's what I do. ;)

zblaxberg
Feb 3, 2007, 10:51 PM

normal member: "No, 10.4.9 is just a version number, they can have 10.4.10 or 10.567.123 if they want to, it's not a decimal point. How could it be a decimal point when there's already two of them in the version number anyway?"

newbie: "Whatever. Leapord iz gunna be out at teh Feb 20th event so 10.4.9 is gunna be teh last Tiger!"

normal member: "There's no way in hell that Leopard will be arriving any time soon - if there is an event on the 20th which so far there is no compelling evidence to suggest, we might get an extended preview of what's coming but the state of Leopard seeds to developers suggests a long wait before 10.5 comes out - I reckon April 10th will be the day."

normal member: "Not unless you buy the new Mac after the shipping date for Leopard is announced. Until then you'll have to pay for Leopard."

Right, that's basically the gist of the thread so everyone can go back to their business and we'll probably see 10.4.9 next week sometime. iTunes 7.1 sometime the week after when the :apple: TV ships and after that the next big thing will either be a combined 10.5/iLife '07/iWork '07 launch in April or the latter two titles will get a quiet release in March and 10.5 will follow in April.

chill out dude...you don't know crap about leopard either so sit back and relax like the rest of us

Chundles
Feb 3, 2007, 10:52 PM
chill out dude...you don't know crap about leopard either so sit back and relax like the rest of us

It's a joke Joyce, geeze are all you lot born without sarcasm detectors or what?

Stop taking everything so damned seriously.

lssmit02
Feb 3, 2007, 10:56 PM
Does the timing suggest new hardware/updated hardware next week?

Eidorian
Feb 3, 2007, 11:04 PM
Does the timing suggest new hardware/updated hardware next week?Doubtful

I hope it fixes my Bluetooth headset!

Chundles
Feb 3, 2007, 11:05 PM

Possibly but I doubt it.

The next Intel product in the upgrade path is the T7700 processor (2.4GHz version of the current Core 2 Duo processor shipping in most Macs) that will have to tide us over for the late arrival of the new Santa Rosa platform which will bring the Crestline (Intel call it "Centrino Pro") chipset which combined will give some very handy features. It will keep the current version of the Core 2 Duo processor until the 45nm Penryn versions arrive later this year.

We're in a bit of a lull from Intel as they get their next kit ready for manufacturing.

Doesn't mean that we won't see new products based on existing tech but I just don't see it happening as yet - the Penryn versions of the Core 2 Duo processor have some really cool features re: heat and power consumption that make use in a small portable Mac really worth the wait.

So no, I think we'll be seeing some big software announcements in the first half of this year with Leopard and iLife/iWork/Pro Apps updates and the second half of the year will be more hardware stuff with new Macs, the iPhone and new iPods. Hardware releases closer to the US Back to School and the Christmas buying seasons really help Apple's bottom line as all the shiny new stuff gets free shopping hype from the media.

Eidorian
Feb 3, 2007, 11:05 PM
Possibly but I doubt it.

The next Intel product in the upgrade path is the T7700 processor (2.4GHz version of the current Core 2 Duo processor shipping in most Macs) that will have to tide us over for the late arrival of the new Santa Rosa platform which will bring the Crestline (Intel call it "Centrino Pro") chipset which combined will give some very handy features. It will keep the current version of the Core 2 Duo processor until the 45nm Penryn versions arrive later this year.

We're in a bit of a lull from Intel as they get their next kit ready for manufacturing.

Doesn't mean that we won't see new products based on existing tech but I just don't see it happening as yet - the Penryn versions of the Core 2 Duo processor have some really cool features re: heat and power consumption that make use in a small portable Mac really worth the wait.

So no, I think we'll be seeing some big software announcements in the first half of this year with Leopard and iLife/iWork/Pro Apps updates and the second half of the year will be more hardware stuff with new Macs, the iPhone and new iPods. Hardware releases closer to the US Back to School and the Christmas buying seasons really help Apple's bottom line as all the shiny new stuff gets free shopping hype from the media.a.k.a. May 2007

lssmit02
Feb 3, 2007, 11:18 PM
So no, I think we'll be seeing some big software announcements in the first half of this year with Leopard and iLife/iWork/Pro Apps updates and the second half of the year will be more hardware stuff with new Macs, the iPhone and new iPods. Hardware releases closer to the US Back to School and the Christmas buying seasons really help Apple's bottom line as all the shiny new stuff gets free shopping hype from the media.

Thanks. So, no reason for me to delay a hardware purchase. With the 10 day price protection plan, I would at least get a rebate if Apple does release updated/cheaper hardware next week. I suppose I can wait until Tuesday to see. I will have to update more than one Mac, so I need a family pack update for Leopard/iLife, so the software is less of a concern.

Eidorian
Feb 3, 2007, 11:20 PM
I have updated the Merom (http://guides.macrumors.com/Merom) article to better reflect new information about Santa Rosa.

Please take it into account for new hardware release along with Leopard and iLife/iWork '07 rumors. I honestly think Apple will wait until they can get ahold of Santa Rosa and then release it paired with Leopard.

opuslab
Feb 3, 2007, 11:21 PM
This comes up with every time 10.4 is updated. Why does everyone think that .9 means no more updates? Can't we have 10.4.10, 10.4.11 and so on? Like Apple said, Think Different!

sure, just like 10.3.11, love that one :rolleyes:

bousozoku
Feb 3, 2007, 11:24 PM

It's not nearly as bad as the posts he was emulating, having read posts like that over the past few years way too many times. :p :eek:

SkyBell
Feb 3, 2007, 11:38 PM

Bravo, Chundles, Bravo!:)

If any n00b wants to answer to that, I dare them to.

matticus008
Feb 4, 2007, 12:28 AM
sure, just like 10.3.11, love that one :rolleyes:

How about Quicktime 7.0.3.50? Does that fill you with smug vindication, too?

aaron.lee2006
Feb 4, 2007, 12:29 AM
It's not nearly as bad as the posts he was emulating, having read posts like that over the past few years way too many times. :p :eek:

LOL I agree, although I have only been here a year... I know what you mean lol. See the same topic over and over because people don't know how to use the SEARCH function. ;)

daneoni
Feb 4, 2007, 12:50 AM
Safari isn't listed.....Safari needs fixing and Rosetta needs more tweaking.

bousozoku
Feb 4, 2007, 01:18 AM
LOL I agree, although I have only been here a year... I know what you mean lol. See the same topic over and over because people don't know how to use the SEARCH function. ;)

When MacRumors wasn't so big, there weren't so many people asking the questions so it was much easier to know the answers without searching so much.

It seems that, since WWDC 2003, things went crazy and people often ask the same questions weekly. I keep calling for a training period before anyone can post a thread but, for some reason, it's always shot down. :D

freiheit
Feb 4, 2007, 01:30 AM
I have updated the Merom (http://guides.macrumors.com/Merom) article to better reflect new information about Santa Rosa.

Please take it into account for new hardware release along with Leopard and iLife/iWork '07 rumors. I honestly think Apple will wait until they can get ahold of Santa Rosa and then release it paired with Leopard.

I really wish Apple would just use the Conroe proessor for the iMac instead of the Merom, then we wouldn't have to wait for DDR2-800 and greater than 3GB RAM support. That 3gig (lopsided) limit is what's keeping me from buying an iMac right now.

dextertangocci
Feb 4, 2007, 02:03 AM

:D :D :D You're so funny Chundles:D

dextertangocci
Feb 4, 2007, 02:25 AM
I hope iSync gets updated to support Samsung phones:cool:

bousozoku
Feb 4, 2007, 03:05 AM
I hope iSync gets updated to support Samsung phones:cool:

That would be a miracle. Unfortunately, Samsung doesn't want to cooperate much.

Kelmon
Feb 4, 2007, 03:11 AM
To be honest I don't have any outstanding issues with Tiger that Apple are likely to address so, while I'll update to 10.4.9 when it is released, I can't say that I'm particularly looking forwards to this one. As long as it doesn't break anything then I'll be happy with it.

With regards to Leopard, unless those with access to the current version and NDAs can say that its further along than it appears to be in public, personally I can't see it appearing for many months. If I had to guess then I wouldn't expect it before June at least but this is purely because apart from the introduction in August last year and a couple of seeds since we know bugger-all about it. I don't like being pessimistic but having not heard anything much about it since August I just get the impression that it isn't ready to be shown.

But, hey, what the frick would I know...

MacsAttack
Feb 4, 2007, 03:43 AM

Like Apple TV and/or the new Airport basestation actually shipping??

madmax_2069
Feb 4, 2007, 05:29 AM
any one remember that there was 2 releases of 10.2.8 both was 10.2.8 but have diffrent build numbers. if they did happen to make a final update to tiger they could go the same route they did with the re release of 10.2.8, or do a 10.4.9a 10.4.9b or they could go 10.4.10 who knows . if they do then we will see, if they dont oh well.

another thing why does every news post always generate negative marks, i see there is 4 already. it can be a good news article/update and it will still get a bad mark. i tell ya some people are weird. this i would think would not get bad marks cause it is somthing to look forward to to make things work right. now i could see if it was somthing like that mac bug list thing going on getting negitive marks but not this.

im looking forward to 10.4.9 and mark this as positive

XIII
Feb 4, 2007, 05:43 AM
Just so happens that 10.3.9 was the final update to Panther before 10.4.0, if I recall correctly. So maybe this will be the last one. :p

Jeonat
Feb 4, 2007, 05:49 AM
iSync? Hopefully this will mean a long awaited update to include UIQ3 sync support, like the P990i *crosses fingers*

ATG
Feb 4, 2007, 06:03 AM
I better update to 10.4.8 then otherwise I will have to use the combo :)

macpro2000
Feb 4, 2007, 06:11 AM
I'm beginning to think that Apple really doesn't have all that much more going on in Leopard than they are telling us now. I think it was an easy excuse to not show the "top secret" portions of 10.5 because at least at the time they really didn't exist. It will be interesting to see what they come up with as if these features are that exciting, and must be better than Time Machine, Spaces, etc. since Apple was willing to show those, since surely they wouldn't expose their best top secret features...and on top of that the release is at most about 4 months away or so. Well, it's either we'll find out Steve was blowing smoke or we will be blown away. I sure hope its the second one.

Shadow
Feb 4, 2007, 07:18 AM
Just so happens that 10.3.9 was the final update to Panther before 10.4.0, if I recall correctly. So maybe this will be the last one. :p

Could be but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple released 10.4.10 to increase compatibility with Leopard.

macgpscs1
Feb 4, 2007, 07:27 AM

Possibly Apple TV, isn't 10.4.9 supposed to have lots of syncing enhancements? They might be needed to get Apple TV to sync with iTunes.

Stella
Feb 4, 2007, 08:04 AM
"Actually, I do not think apple will release a 10.4.10 as that would be too confusing"

Your actually quite right. I think the average Apple user will be confused.

What, OSX 4.10 - whats going on?

Apple is focused more towards consumers. Consumers are dumb.

Elfin Geekster
Feb 4, 2007, 08:30 AM
I better update to 10.4.8 then otherwise I will have to use the combo :)

;) First step: Use Apple's Disk Utility to Repair Permissions, then use the Combo Updater to bring everything up to date, then restart. And just to be sure everything got updatered, Re-Install the Combo Updater, followed by another re-start.
... sometimes the Combo Updaters skip something or another, depends on what you had running when you were supposed to Quit All Running Applications before you attempt to install the updater.
:cool:

rand()
Feb 4, 2007, 08:51 AM
any one remember that there was 2 releases of 10.2.8 both was 10.2.8 but have diffrent build numbers.

That's right, but the reason for the double 10.2.8 was because there was a serious problem (read: kernel panics & lost data) in the first release. They fixed it, and then re-released it (very quickly, if I recall correctly).

And I agree that there is no reason they can't have 10.4.10 or 11 (or 100 for that matter). But, I believe that Apple has pretty well-defined release targets, which means there's no reason they can't say, "OK, so we know Leopard is Spring '07, so let's space our 9 updates accordingly."

Remember that there are separate "Security-only" updates. Full point-release updates always wrap in the security updates, but are primarily for non-trivial, but non-critical bugs and errata. I would guess they have a target-release schedule specifically for ~9 updates before a new version release.

Again, I'm not saying "10.4.10 == 10.5!" I'm simply saying they likely plan a specific number of bug-updates, and release Security updates to fill in the gaps as needed.

-rand()

guzhogi
Feb 4, 2007, 09:12 AM
If I remember correctly, in version numbers, like 10.4.9, the first number, 10 in this case, would mean major upgrade, overhaul of everything, etc that you'd have to pay for. That would mean this is the tenth major version of Mac OS. The 2nd number, 4, would mean minor upgrade meaning new features. This would mean the 4th minor upgrade for Mac OS X. You'd have to pay for it. The third number, 9, is an update, meaning bug fixes, better stability, etc. & you usually don't have to pay for it. This would mean it's the 9th upgrade for Mac OS 10.4. So they can go up to 10.4.10 trillion before releasing 10.5. (hopefully not). It would've been easier if Apple did Mac OS X 10.04.01 to shut these people up, but it's ugly w/ all those 0s. Correct me if I'm wrong, though (in a nice way, please).

Eraserhead
Feb 4, 2007, 09:42 AM
I'm pleased with the CoreData fix, hopefully fetch requests will work better now!

When MacRumors wasn't so big, there weren't so many people asking the questions so it was much easier to know the answers without searching so much.

It seems that, since WWDC 2003, things went crazy and people often ask the same questions weekly. I keep calling for a training period before anyone can post a thread but, for some reason, it's always shot down. :D

You could just replace the standard forum search with a Google Search, that's what I always use when finding out Mac stuff a site:macrumors.com goes to the end of my search and the information is generally great!

Also when newbies post a new thread it could remind them to search (with google) in the thread start window.

Back on topic: consumers don't check the version number they are downloading, they just get it from software update...

theheyes
Feb 4, 2007, 09:46 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, though (in a nice way, please).

Youre pretty much right. As far as I'm concerned a version number is just there to distinguish it from the previous version and has no logical bearing on future versions.

That said, its easy to see why people think its the last version before 10.5. Just decimalised thinking because thats what we're used to.

Meh, it'll ship when its ready.

kcmac
Feb 4, 2007, 10:05 AM
Didn't 10.4.8 come out in October? It's definitely time for an update if you look at the pattern since the early days of OS X.

I'm betting this is the last one, not because of the lame dot 10 argument, but because June is now only about 4 months away. Sometime between there and now, Leopard will come out. The update patterns have really slowed down. (Security updates not included).

Just doesn't seem there is that much to fix before Leopard from an OS side.

Chef Medeski
Feb 4, 2007, 10:37 AM
Possibly but I doubt it.

The T7700 is a P socket you wont see it until Crestline comes out. So, there is nothing to tide us over to Santa Rosa. Well except for what we have which is still pretty nice.

Eric5h5
Feb 4, 2007, 11:02 AM
It would've been easier if Apple did Mac OS X 10.04.01 to shut these people up, but it's ugly w/ all those 0s. Correct me if I'm wrong, though (in a nice way, please).

You're wrong, but in a nice way. :) Those just aren't decimal numbers. Nobody else does it that way. Aside from a few clueless weirdos, I don't think anybody is confused. What's after ten four nine? Ten four ten. Simple. Those dots are separators...like phone numbers. I don't think people have problems with 1.800.867.5309 either, right? Nobody thinks that "should" be the same as 1.8.867.5309, right? Why is this even an issue?

--Eric

Rocketman
Feb 4, 2007, 11:08 AM

And annoyingly accurate.

Rocketman

IJ Reilly
Feb 4, 2007, 11:26 AM
It's a joke Joyce, geeze are all you lot born without sarcasm detectors or what?

No, not all of us. I thought that post was a hoot.

Of course, I'm just being sarcastic. ;)

MacRy
Feb 4, 2007, 11:44 AM
Oh dear god. Can't we have a 10.4.10 amnesty please? Everyone just hand in their comments about it and we'll never speak of it again.

slb
Feb 4, 2007, 11:44 AM
This comes up with every time 10.4 is updated. Why does everyone think that .9 means no more updates?

The fact that Apple always stops releasing updates when they hit .9? It's been this way for six years, folks.

lssmit02
Feb 4, 2007, 11:57 AM
Actually, I was thinking about a Mac Pro update, which would need a later build. According to the Apple site, the Apple TV requires only 10.3.9, and the new Airport requires 10.4.8.

SheriffParker
Feb 4, 2007, 12:06 PM
It would've been easier if Apple did Mac OS X 10.04.01 to shut these people up, but it's ugly w/ all those 0s. Correct me if I'm wrong, though (in a nice way, please).

However, there could theoretically be a 10.4.153 so you could never have enough zeros for place holders.

10.000004.0000234 sounds even less appealing than 10.04.01, and still doesn't leave enough placeholders for the infinite possibilities.

:)

Back on topic: consumers don't check the version number they are downloading, they just get it from software update...

Sure they do. Many peripherals and software require you to check your os version number (i.e. a mouse that only works with 10.3.9 or later etc.). People do need to be aware of it.

eluk
Feb 4, 2007, 12:07 PM

Easily confused then. In the real world it is common to find 10 being followed by 11.

Morris
Feb 4, 2007, 12:41 PM
The fact that Apple always stops releasing updates when they hit .9? It's been this way for six years, folks.

No, they only stopped at .9 once, with Panther. Other versions stopped at other version numbers.

Especially given the fact Apple tends to do a final update just before or after the release of a major version a 10.4.10 is very likely.

flyinmac
Feb 4, 2007, 01:00 PM

Don't worry, they won't.

Apple is a creature of habit. It's made them very predictable in some aspects. Sure, you can't easily predict which product they'll release next, and what it's specific modifications will be. But, in general strategy, and behavior you can predict their every move.

1) Apple will always try it's best to keep upcoming products secret.

2) Apple will hype each new release to make it sound like their old one is no longer useful and that you should upgrade right now. Of course, they have a unique way of saying it that doesn't come across so blatant as to offend or upset. But, the end result is people dumping their 2 month old computer to buy the latest one. Works every time.

3) Software updates (Mac OS, iLife, iWorks, and so on), will only go to the 3rd decimal before the second decimal is bumped-up. As far back as the Apple II, Apple has kept this formula. With their dedication to consistent behavior, they'll likely continue this behavior indefinitely.

So, OS 10.4.9 will be the last major release of OS 10.4.x. That does not mean that there will not be future updates to OS 10.4.9. It just means that Apple will not change it's revision number beyond 10.4.9. I'm sure they'll continue to release updates for OS 10.4.x, but it will not change the revision number any. Perhaps the build number, but not the revision number.

I've been regularly downloading updates for my machine with OS 10.2.8 on it. And, it's still OS 10.2.8 even after being discontinued as long as it has been. But, I've found that every few months, they still issue some update for it. With all the updates they've released over the years, if they extended beyond the 3rd decimal, then it would be 10.2.9905 or something by now.

Apple's a creature of habit. 10.4.9 will be the final revision number for OS 10.4.x. Other updates and security patches will likely only change the build number.

Does this mean Leopard's coming out this week, probably not. But, it will be out within a few months or so if history is any indicator.

bousozoku
Feb 4, 2007, 01:13 PM

It has been? As far as I remember, they stopped at 10.0.4, 10.1.5, 10.2.8, and 10.3.9 for Mac OS X. Four of those releases didn't have .9 in them.

It's ridiculous that people are going over this again and again, ad naseum.

I hope that Apple releases 10.4.100 just to finish this silly argument.

flyinmac
Feb 4, 2007, 01:27 PM

Well, that is true for some of them.

But, from the last couple of years that I've spent helping people on the Apple Discussions support site, I can tell you that it isn't true for all. It just depends on the individual.

Some get their updates through Software Update. Others download them from the website.

Myself, I download them and save them to disk. That way I can download them one time, and install the updates on multiple machines without downloading them each time. It also make re-installs much faster if I don't have to re-download everything.

I'd say that the method of downloading probably falls somewhere in the middle. Half or nearly half go one way, and the rest the other.

MacinDoc
Feb 4, 2007, 01:47 PM
I really wish Apple would just use the Conroe proessor for the iMac instead of the Merom, then we wouldn't have to wait for DDR2-800 and greater than 3GB RAM support. That 3gig (lopsided) limit is what's keeping me from buying an iMac right now.
AFAIK, it's the mobile chipset (used in Macbooks, the iMac and the Mac Mini), not Merom, that's the problem. Until Santa Rosa, the total addressable memory is 4 GB, including VRAM and caches. So the maximum usable RAM is 3 GB. But, unlike some other manufacturers, Apple is honest about this limitation.

Of course, the Mac Pro is not subject to this limitation, because it does not use the mobile chipset.

psychofreak
Feb 4, 2007, 01:55 PM
I hope that apple either releases 10.3.10, or says 10.x.10 will never happen, just to shut everyone up...

I personally am against those who say "10.4.9 is just a version number, they could bring out 10.4.10, 11 etc"....

So far this has not been the case. Maybe apple's plan is to always make 10.x.9 the final dot release, with only minor security and compatibility updates later...Then again, maybe not...

SurfSpirit
Feb 4, 2007, 03:02 PM
I do think the launch of Mac OS X Leopard is near because Apple wants and has a great oportunity to shake the Windows World!!!

And now with a poor Vista launch is the perfect time to do so. Because if people need to upgrade computer to run Windows maybe it will be a lot better to upgrade to a Mac!

And We Mac users know that it's a lot easier for PC users switch to Mac OS X because with the new Macs they will run Windows if they want too!

So Great Oportunity to make a Huge Announcement in the historical big event as Super Event as the Super Ball!!!

Go Apple!!!!!! ;)

http://carlosgonzalez.planetaclix.pt/

Feb 4, 2007, 03:30 PM
Is it common for this updates to bring support for new devices in iSync?

I am tempted to buy the Samsung D900. But the bad support of iSync with the D900 is stopping me.

Roco, :)

phillipjfry
Feb 4, 2007, 03:30 PM
Stop taking everything so damned seriously.

No...YOU stop taking things so seriously. :p

twoodcc
Feb 4, 2007, 03:33 PM
well the sooner 10.4.9 is here, the sooner 10.5 is here.....so bring it on! :apple: :)

Eraserhead
Feb 4, 2007, 03:58 PM
Is it common for this updates to bring support for new devices in iSync?

Yes, but no-one knows which phones will be added, i suspect we'll have to wait for Leopard.

aspro
Feb 4, 2007, 04:02 PM
Looks promising, hopefully those OpenGL and graphics driver updates fix my gaming problems. Can't wait to get my hands on Leopard though!

bousozoku
Feb 4, 2007, 04:52 PM
AFAIK, it's the mobile chipset (used in Macbooks, the iMac and the Mac Mini), not Merom, that's the problem. Until Santa Rosa, the total addressable memory is 4 GB, including VRAM and caches. So the maximum usable RAM is 3 GB. But, unlike some other manufacturers, Apple is honest about this limitation.

Of course, the Mac Pro is not subject to this limitation, because it does not use the mobile chipset.

It also doesn't use Merom processors. Xeon processors are the least likely to be compromised of anything that Intel make.

seashellz2
Feb 4, 2007, 06:03 PM
I want to be able to say in my lifetime that I actually had a 10.4.10 update on my computer-for all the doubting Thomasinas...
Ill also probably wait untill 10.5.1 to get Leopard-like I did with Tiger-and get a machine packet instead of a (stripped down) retail version.

matticus008
Feb 4, 2007, 06:44 PM
Apple is focused more towards consumers. Consumers are dumb.
Yeah, but they can read. They don't stop to analyze the version number. If the box says 9.87.6572, then that's what it says. They move on happily with their lives, as everyone else should.

3) Software updates (Mac OS, iLife, iWorks, and so on), will only go to the 3rd decimal before the second decimal is bumped-up.
Quicktime 7.0.3.50? There have been a few isolated cases like that which went on to four places and to numbers beyond 10. The only deterministic issue is that of time. Most of Apple's update cycles are too long, and the time between major versions too short, to allow the second number even to reach 10. It has only happened once with OS X that the number even got to 9. It may be a de facto limit that arises simply out of practicality, but there is no rule capping any number in any location in a version string.
I'm sure they'll continue to release updates for OS 10.4.x, but it will not change the revision number any. Perhaps the build number, but not the revision number.
That would be ludicrous. They've never done that (except in Jaguar, and that was only to replace a buggy update with a fixed one, so they both carried the same name). If there are further updates to Tiger, it will become 10.4.10 if they want to preserve any measure of consistency.
And, it's still OS 10.2.8 even after being discontinued as long as it has been.
Security updates and system fixes like those are released for every OS without changing the version number. There haven't been any OS updates since 10.2.8; only updates for 10.2.8 computers.

flyinmac
Feb 4, 2007, 06:51 PM
If there are further updates to Tiger, it will become 10.4.10 if they want to preserve any measure of consistency.

Well, beat your dead horse if you want to. But, it won't make it run.

Security updates and system fixes like those are released for every OS without changing the version number. There haven't been any OS updates since 10.2.8; only updates for 10.2.8 computers.

Don't see where that conflicts with what I said. Rephrasing what I said doesn't make what I said wrong. It just changes the way it was worded.

matticus008
Feb 4, 2007, 07:24 PM
Don't see where that conflicts with what I said. Rephrasing what I said doesn't make what I said wrong. It just changes the way it was worded.
You stated that the OS is still updated without changing the version number in support of an argument that said 10.4 stop at 9, but still get OS updates (with "new build numbers." That is not the case.

flyinmac
Feb 4, 2007, 07:32 PM
You stated that the OS is still updated without changing the version number in support of an argument that said 10.4 stop at 9, but still get OS updates (with "new build numbers." That is not the case.

The build numbers are regularly changed without changing the OS revision number.

The build number is completely independent of the OS revision number. Security updates, minor patches, and many other updates will make changes to the build number that your machine reports.

Hugh
Feb 4, 2007, 08:40 PM

When I used to sell computers, I used to think that people needed to be trained before walking into the store. You would be surprised how many people that buy computers, have no idea what they are buying. They just go by what their friend,brother,cousin,ect told them to get. But that's a differnt topic. :rolleyes:

Hugh

bousozoku
Feb 4, 2007, 09:37 PM
When I used to sell computers, I used to think that people needed to be trained before walking into the store. You would be surprised how many people that buy computers, have no idea what they are buying. They just go by what their friend,brother,cousin,ect told them to get. But that's a differnt topic. :rolleyes:

Hugh

That's no surprise to me. I've seen it in many technology categories. It even happens on MacRumors.

Stella
Feb 4, 2007, 09:40 PM
Most windows users don't give a damn about OSX...

OSX - "Whats that?"

Oh, its a Mac..

<Crickets />

Live continues.

I do think the launch of Mac OS X Leopard is near because Apple wants and has a great oportunity to shake the Windows World!!!

And now with a poor Vista launch is the perfect time to do so. Because if people need to upgrade computer to run Windows maybe it will be a lot better to upgrade to a Mac!

And We Mac users know that it's a lot easier for PC users switch to Mac OS X because with the new Macs they will run Windows if they want too!

So Great Oportunity to make a Huge Announcement in the historical big event as Super Event as the Super Ball!!!

Go Apple!!!!!! ;)

http://carlosgonzalez.planetaclix.pt/

younker
Feb 5, 2007, 03:12 AM
I hope they can fix the following problems
1. Can use Motorola A1200 as modem through BT.
2. Can solve the problem about the free space that samba share folder have. It always say 2.7G left though I have more than 10G free space left

JFreak
Feb 5, 2007, 03:13 AM
Wake up, people. OSX means the same thing as 10.x.y -- it is OS ten. Better if Apple had called them OSX x.y versions, but they choose to keep the ten in the version number, because the last classic OS was nine and people expect the version number to go up.

So, the current version is "OSX 4.8" which can be written "10.4.8" to keep the oldskool dinosaurs happy. But if you think of it as "OSX 4.8", then even the os-version-is-a-decimal-number kind of idiots can be happy until Apple releases OSX 4.99

and even then there is no reason why Apple could not release a 4.100 version. The four would be a major version and the hundred would be a minor version; however, it would not LOOK LIKE a decimal number anymore, but get this: it has never been a decimal number.

It is a version number. Not a decimal number. A version number. It's different number than decimal number. Just the same way a base-10 number has different rules than base-16 number.

ARGGGGH! Get this already. I hate this even more than "PowerBook G5 next tuesday" rumor... :P

joseph2166
Feb 5, 2007, 06:43 AM
Everyone seems to be caring a lot about what an update which may never materialise is gonna be called - 10.4.10, 10.4.9.1 - who cares?! Just be glad we have version numbers so we know how updated our computers are - I get so annoyed every time I have to use the chaos that is Microsoft Update on windows on bootcamp. It even updated my Internet Explorer to the horrible new version the other day without asking.

matticus008
Feb 5, 2007, 08:29 AM
Security updates, minor patches, and many other updates will make changes to the build number that your machine reports.
Again, OS updates are not released simply with "new build numbers" as you suggested. Minor patches and security updates are not OS updates and only occasionally change the build number. OS updates, with a single exception to replace a buggy release, always include new version numbers.

Tiger will not stop at 10.4.9 and still get comprehensive OS updates "just with different build numbers." If there are further OS updates past 10.4.9, they will be numbered, just as .1 to .8 have been.

eluk
Feb 5, 2007, 08:49 AM
The version number is for cataloguing not calculating. Why do people continue with these impositions of decimal?

Morris
Feb 5, 2007, 10:35 AM
Considering Apple will want to have Tiger compatible with the iPhone which is due in four months they'll have to release 10.4.10 to make that happen, iSync updates come with OS-updates.

A 10.4.10 in June will maintain Apple's tradition of releasing a final update around a new OS release, make Tiger iPhone-compatible and roughly maintain the update frequency they're used to.

Furthermore, by doing so they'll keep the traditions of never ending on the same number twice and increasing the number of updates for each OS version.:D

Eric5h5
Feb 5, 2007, 11:28 AM
Furthermore, by doing so they'll keep the traditions of never ending on the same number twice and increasing the number of updates for each OS version.:D

OK, now we get to vote on what version number Leopard will end on. Five bucks says 10.5.12!

--Eric

Peace
Feb 5, 2007, 11:31 AM
Considering Apple will want to have Tiger compatible with the iPhone which is due in four months they'll have to release 10.4.10 to make that happen, iSync updates come with OS-updates.

A 10.4.10 in June will maintain Apple's tradition of releasing a final update around a new OS release, make Tiger iPhone-compatible and roughly maintain the update frequency they're used to.

The iPhone will be compatible with 10.4.9 imho.

psychofreak
Feb 5, 2007, 11:39 AM
"PowerBook G5 next tuesday" rumor... :P

There's a PowerBook G5 next tuesday? Really!?:eek:

Where do you get your information from? Are you an insider (nod once for yes, twice for no)?

robert05au
Feb 16, 2007, 08:55 PM
What the hell happen to the 10.4.9 Update the seeds seem to have stopped but still no update for over a week after the last known seed.

Anyone have any info

bousozoku
Feb 16, 2007, 10:45 PM
What the hell happen to the 10.4.9 Update the seeds seem to have stopped but still no update for over a week after the last known seed.

Anyone have any info

They probably stopped to work on security and other issues.