PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl XLI Apple Ad?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Feb 3, 2007, 10:00 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Many sites picked up on the buzz that Apple might have a special ad lined up for this year's Super Bowl (http://www.superbowl.com/) -- the championship football game of the National Football League in the United States.

However, the only source of this news is a single TorontoSun report (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/17/beatles-and-apple-feb-4th-superbowl-announcement/) which claimed that Apple would have a "special" announcement during a Super Bowl commercial. The report was tied to claims that the Beatles would begin digital distribution of their music through iTunes.

Super Bowl advertisements, at $2.5 million for a 30 second spot, frequently generate as much hype as the game itself. Apple holds a notorious place in Super Bowl advertising history with their 1984 commercial (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_(television_commercial)) which announced the original Macintosh.

The Super Bowl begins (http://www.superbowl.com/features/general_info) at 6pm EST, February 4th (Sunday).

Zwhaler
Feb 3, 2007, 10:07 PM
I already have the Bealtes in my iTunes, so I hopw it would be a product announcment. But Beatles would make sense.

GoCubsGo
Feb 3, 2007, 10:09 PM
I doubt it'd be a product announcement unless it's the iPhone coming before June. I think it's the Beatles.

Bradley W
Feb 3, 2007, 10:11 PM
_

swingerofbirch
Feb 3, 2007, 10:14 PM
Bahh!The Beatles...do any of the surviving members or their relatives need money at this point? Everytime I hear about them it sounds like they are just after more money....I hope the ad is about anything other than the beatles.

hikeNM
Feb 3, 2007, 10:22 PM
So, if the rumor is true, will it also mean that others on Apple Records will also be available(i.e. Harrison, McCartney, Wings etc)?

zigziggityzoo
Feb 3, 2007, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing something as epic as the Macintosh in 1984. That would really make 2007 "only the beginning".

TheSailerMan
Feb 3, 2007, 10:28 PM
If it is a Beatles announcement, it will be great for iTunes Store users and for Apple (both of them), but it won't effect me.

Despite the Beatles being one of my favorite bands, I would never download a Beatles song. As with all of my favorite bands, I always buy the physical CD. The only exception is if the song is exclusive to the Store (I bought the live version of U2's "The Saints are Coming" from the iTS).

Xeem
Feb 3, 2007, 10:33 PM
No matter what it is, the new commercial will inevitably bring about many (most likely unfortunate) comparisons to the wonderful 1984 spot.

rockthecasbah
Feb 3, 2007, 10:34 PM
Doesn't seem like it will happen during/after the Super Bowl because, frankly, I doubt that Apple really has that much that is of actual importance to release right now! The Beatles, while big, certainly can wait until a media event later in the month. Same thing with new computers, and i don't see an iPod refeshment coming so what's left? :p

Multimedia
Feb 3, 2007, 10:39 PM
Hope it's to announce the full Beatles catalog on iTunes which would make it money well spent considering how many Beatles fans it will reach worldwide. :)

.Andy
Feb 3, 2007, 10:39 PM
Every. Single. Year. The. Same. Recycled. Rumour.

I suppose they're bound to get it right eventually :rolleyes:

freeny
Feb 3, 2007, 10:41 PM
apple would need to sell allot of Beatles songs to break even.
not that they wont make back the money but seems like a whole bunch of cash for songs most people have on their iPods already.
They only make a few cents per song so they would need to sell like twenty million Beatles songs just to make their $$ back.
:confused:

150hp
Feb 3, 2007, 10:43 PM
Won't be watching the superbowl this year as CBS doesn't come in @ my house.

So I will be relying on MacRumors to let me know whats up. (regarding any Apple ads, not score updates)

I was so dissappointed in the "iPhoneWorld" keynote. I suspect to be let down here too.

I'm looking for a new Mac to replace my G3 & am waiting for some news on that front.

10.5 & all.

Anyways....

Warbrain
Feb 3, 2007, 10:45 PM
You know, this isn't happening...we would've heard much more buzz before today. Everyone hopes, but that hope dies quick.

SkyBell
Feb 3, 2007, 10:46 PM
Doesn't seem like it will happen during/after the Super Bowl because, frankly, I doubt that Apple really has that much that is of actual importance to release right now! The Beatles, while big, certainly can wait until a media event later in the month. Same thing with new computers, and i don't see an iPod refeshment coming so what's left? :p

An entirely new revolutionary product? :p

SMM
Feb 3, 2007, 10:47 PM
Won't be watching the superbowl this year as CBS doesn't come in @ my house.

So I will be relying on MacRumors to let me know whats up. (regarding any Apple ads, not score updates)

I was so dissappointed in the "iPhoneWorld" keynote. I suspect to be let down here too.

I'm looking for a new Mac to replace my G3 & am waiting for some news on that front.

10.5 & all.

Anyways....

Good news! They actually have better computers than the G3 and they are available right now!

arn
Feb 3, 2007, 10:48 PM
ya, I posted it because the Super Bowl is tomorrow... but without more rumors coming it, it seems unlikely.

arn

superkitty
Feb 3, 2007, 10:52 PM
i think they're just going to reiterate that you can go to iTunes to download superbowl video clips to your ipod or computer to watch again.

askretzinger
Feb 3, 2007, 10:52 PM
I don't understand, people pay for songs to add to their iTunes library? :D

rockthecasbah
Feb 3, 2007, 10:53 PM

I was implying that i don't think they have any left ... that would suitably be displayed post Superbowl. Who knows, i guess i'll be pleasantly surprised then if they do :D

levitynyc
Feb 3, 2007, 10:54 PM
The best way for them to do the commercial is just to have a verse of the song "Yesterday" with a bunch of video highlights of the Beatles showing....at the tail end of the commercial just show an iPod and the Apple symbol.....that would be awesome.

freeny
Feb 3, 2007, 10:57 PM
I don't understand, people pay for songs to add to their iTunes library? :D

What exactly are you trying to say?

Lepton
Feb 3, 2007, 11:03 PM
100GB iPhone-like Video iPod full of Beatles songs and the movie Yellow Submarine. Available Monday. :D

bdkennedy1
Feb 3, 2007, 11:06 PM
Wow. The Beatles at 128kbps. Yawn.

freeny
Feb 3, 2007, 11:07 PM
video iPod

Now that would be worth advertising during the super bowl.

ComSense
Feb 3, 2007, 11:10 PM
It better not be the Beatles being on iTunes.

IT'S 2007. EVERYONE WHO WAS INTO THE BEATLES IS EITHER DEAD OR BOUGHT ALL THEIR LPs YEARS AGO, THEN BOUGHT ALL THEIR CDs WHEN THEY WERE REMASTERED AND RE-RE-RE-RE-RE-RELEASED.

I realize Steve has a hard-on for the Beatles, but he's also smart enough a businessman to know that THAT **** DOESN'T SELL IN 2007. So I'm hoping it's video iPod or something else worthy of the $9 billion (or whatever) it costs to get an ad during the goddamn Super Bowl.

(sigh)

(Not a fan of the Beatles OR any kind of sports. If you couldn't tell already.)

flyfish29
Feb 3, 2007, 11:12 PM
This could be big though- consider how many beatles fans don't have iPods yet- in fact, many probably listen to them on Vinyl still...my older brothers included!!:D

Remember, they don't need to sell 2.5 million in beatles songs...just that much in beatles songs, songs in general, iPods, Macs, etc!!

That being said, since the rumor front has been so quiet on this probably won't happen- of course, there have been very few superbowl ads leaked to the mainstream press this year compared to past years.

chubad
Feb 3, 2007, 11:16 PM
No Apple commercial is listed anywhere. I rather doubt they will have a commercial. In the who's in section they list all of the advertisers and the number of spots they bought. No Apple, but Budwiser bought 10 spots! Serious $$.
http://www.superbowl-ads.com/2007/index.html

Scarlet Fever
Feb 3, 2007, 11:18 PM
Every. Single. Year. The. Same. Recycled. Rumour.

I suppose they're bound to get it right eventually :rolleyes:

they did with the Intel and the iPhone myths:p

p0intblank
Feb 3, 2007, 11:30 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing all the commercials tomorrow. I'm hoping for a surprise Apple ad of some kind. I even had a dream last night that I saw the Beatles ad. :o

Stridder44
Feb 3, 2007, 11:40 PM

IT'S 2007. EVERYONE WHO WAS INTO THE BEATLES IS EITHER DEAD OR BOUGHT ALL THEIR LPs YEARS AGO, THEN BOUGHT ALL THEIR CDs WHEN THEY WERE REMASTERED AND RE-RE-RE-RE-RE-RELEASED.

I realize Steve has a hard-on for the Beatles, but he's also smart enough a businessman to know that THAT **** DOESN'T SELL IN 2007. So I'm hoping it's video iPod or something else worthy of the $9 billion (or whatever) it costs to get an ad during the goddamn Super Bowl.

(sigh)

Seriously. The Beatles are good, but we've all heard the songs a million times. No one cares anymore. G5 powerbooks sound more appealing.

JGowan
Feb 3, 2007, 11:53 PM
Bahh!The Beatles...do any of the surviving members or their relatives need money at this point? Everytime I hear about them it sounds like they are just after more money.If you think about what you said for half a second, you'll realize that it doesn't make any sense.

If they don't NEED the money, then why would it "sound like they are just after more money"?

Is Steve Jobs in business now for "more money"? He was a mutli-millionaire the day Apple went public. But he's one of the hardest working people I've ever seen. Paul McCartney is exactly the same.

Sure, some involved are simply in it for the money. Period. Because they're not really The Beatles. They simply own rights to part of the catalogue. But as for Paul or Ringo, I think they have a lot more at stake than just greenbacks.

The Beatles are without a doubt, the greatest Rock and Roll band ever. Even though they've been broke up since '69, they've influenced just about everyone. Perhaps, with their music on iTunes, the band's music can have an even greater impact on the casual Beatles fan who never really listened to the "lesser" tracks. Many people bought the Beatles fairly recent "1" CD and think they know the story of the Beatles. iTunes exposure will surely show them just how wrong they are. 30 second previews will help sell a lot of songs and bring a lot of joy to people.

Paul McCartney is worth about $1.5 Billion Pounds which is close to $3B US. I think he (and Ringo too) are more concerned about their legacy than another check in the mail.

hamholio
Feb 4, 2007, 12:08 AM
Terry Ott (http://terryott.blogspot.com/), who wrote that Toronto Sun article, is a boob and an idiot. I think his sources for the superbowl quip were message board posters, since I'm pretty sure I read some asshats posting about how awesome it would be if apple ran beatles ads during the superbowl before his article came out.

flir67
Feb 4, 2007, 12:23 AM
I hope they release leopard early and have a1984 style commerical it would just make sense.

daijones
Feb 4, 2007, 12:28 AM
An advert showcasing Leopard would be timely, revealing the extra 'secret' features now that Vista is loose and MS will have to wait until SP1 to copy - sorry, 'retrospectively implement their original ideas'. We all know Leopard's gonna make Vista look old, and that anyone would be a fool to upgrade a PC to run Vista with Leopard just round the corner, but that's cos we're fans. A little heads up to the person on the street to say 'not so fast' would make a lot of sense

D

matthewHUB
Feb 4, 2007, 12:31 AM
An advert showcasing Leopard would be timely, revealing the extra 'secret' features now that Vista is loose and MS will have to wait until SP1 to copy - sorry, 'retrospectively implement their original ideas'. We all know Leopard's gonna make Vista look old, and that anyone would be a fool to upgrade a PC to run Vista with Leopard just round the corner, but that's cos we're fans. A little heads up to the person on the street to say 'not so fast' would make a lot of sense

D

i agree. although having an ad for an 'intangible' product is kind of strange to people who aren't fans. they want something they can go out and buy after the weekend.

Multimedia
Feb 4, 2007, 12:35 AM
100GB iPhone-like Video iPod full of Beatles songs and the movie Yellow Submarine. Available Monday. :DHow 'bout the Widescreen Video iPod with the game loaded on it? :eek: ;)

Chundles
Feb 4, 2007, 12:37 AM
How 'bout the Widescreen Video iPod with the game loaded on it? :eek: ;)

Yep, a US$2.5 million 30 second ad to launch a massive update to the iPod line....

You're always thinking MM, always.

Now, back to formation practice for my squadron of flying pigs.

EricNau
Feb 4, 2007, 12:53 AM
Are you getting them ready for their performance tomorrow?

holamiamigos
Feb 4, 2007, 01:01 AM
please please please for the widescreen ipod

Chundles
Feb 4, 2007, 01:03 AM
Are you getting them ready for their performance tomorrow?

Oh yeah the Super Bowl is on tomorrow isn't it. Just sitting on my couch watching the cricket - we don't really care about the Super Bowl down here, there's a little story on the news and that's about it.

OK, well, then yes, the pigs will be out for Super Bowl Monday in their finest capes and face masks.

TomSmithMacEd
Feb 4, 2007, 01:10 AM

(sigh)

You are not a fan of facts than either. People will still buy the Beatles. The 1 album released in the 2000's sold millions. And the LOVE album that was just released was on the top ten for a while.

killr_b
Feb 4, 2007, 01:14 AM
I hope they release "The Macintosh."

It would be silly. :p

TheBobcat
Feb 4, 2007, 01:20 AM
Maybe Apple will unveil the real Time Machine, so Bears fans can go back to 1985 and watch their team actually win a Super Bowl as opposed to just participate. :p

NewSc2
Feb 4, 2007, 01:59 AM
Bahh!The Beatles...do any of the surviving members or their relatives need money at this point? Everytime I hear about them it sounds like they are just after more money....I hope the ad is about anything other than the beatles.

Paul and Ringo don't need more money, but that doesn't mean that the Beatles aren't good music anymore and shouldn't be on iTunes :)

joelc
Feb 4, 2007, 02:08 AM
The 1984 ad is generally credited with triggering this "event" advertising that has become commonly associated with the Super Bowl.

It is also generally considered to be the best television advertisement, ever.

psingh01
Feb 4, 2007, 02:22 AM
I have a feeling that if there is an Apple ad it will be one of those PC/Mac ads. What was the last superbowl ad...HAL?

greenwrangler
Feb 4, 2007, 02:23 AM
I bet if SuperBowl was held on a Tuesday, people here would go loco. :p

puuukeey
Feb 4, 2007, 02:37 AM
apple Has been known to air important things during the superbowl
http://www.duke.edu/~tlove/runner1.jpg (http://www.apple-history.com/movies/1984.mov)

click for retro goodness

lamina
Feb 4, 2007, 02:37 AM

New iPod just like the iPhone, without phone and web cspabilities :)

aswitcher
Feb 4, 2007, 03:00 AM
Yep, a US$2.5 million 30 second ad to launch a massive update to the iPod line....

You're always thinking MM, always.

To the theme of dambusters :)

Chundles
Feb 4, 2007, 03:05 AM

I was thinking Ride of The Valkyries.

aswitcher
Feb 4, 2007, 03:15 AM
I was thinking Ride of The Valkyries.

We won WW2, we lost Vietnam...what about the battlestar galactica theme tune.

Chundles
Feb 4, 2007, 03:17 AM
We won WW2, we lost Vietnam...what about the battlestar galactica theme tune.

Nah, too nerdy, flying pigs are too cool to be nerdy.

The theme from Indiana Jones?

donlphi
Feb 4, 2007, 03:20 AM
It's most likely going to be a release of the Beatles LOVE from Cirque Du Soleil to iTUNES along with the rest of their library.

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/CirqueDuSoleil/en/showstickets/love/intro/intro.htm?sa_campaign=internal_click/redirect/love

They already look like the old iPOD commercials with the silouettes.

Valentines Day right around the corner... all you need is love.

DUMB...:D

GO BEARS!!!

Nanaki
Feb 4, 2007, 03:26 AM
The Beatles are without a doubt, the greatest Rock and Roll band ever.

Thank Jesus Christ someone has taste on this board. Why do so many posters believe no one buys Beatles CDs still? Let's look at Amazon.com's sale's rankings:

#14 - Love (2006)
#69 - Abbey Road (1969)
#73 - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
#83 - The White Album (2 Discs... 1968)
#109 - Rubber Soul (1965)
#144 - Revolver (1966)

More than half of those are still outselling HUGE hit albums like Sam's Town (#86) by the Killers and St. Elswhere (#90) by Gnarls Barkley! Now let's look at some recently successful albums (which I also enjoyed):

#189 Incubus (Nov 2006 - DEBUTED AT #1!!!!!!!!!)
#463 Jay-Z - Kingdom Come (DEBUTED AT #1 Nov 2006!!!!)
#1,120 Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (2003)

I rest my case.

dernhelm
Feb 4, 2007, 03:37 AM

I think this is what Leo Laporte is predicting. A true widescreen touch-interface iPod + Beatles edition.

dernhelm
Feb 4, 2007, 03:41 AM

Nope. "Pigs on the wing".

Bonte
Feb 4, 2007, 03:58 AM

There are no remastered CD's of the Beatles yet, the planning is to release the CD's together with the digital downloads more than probably on iTunes. This news is 10 months old and considering Steve showed off the Beatles in the keynote we can safely assume a Beatles commercial.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2006-04-13-beatles-download_x.htm

Sargon II
Feb 4, 2007, 04:32 AM
What do you think, possible or not.

Gosh
Feb 4, 2007, 04:32 AM
Bound to be Mac mini C2D update!:rolleyes:

Chundles
Feb 4, 2007, 04:34 AM

Spoken about ad nauseum on this forum and totally out of the realm of not only the possible but it's a silly idea too.

Want OSX? Buy a Mac. That's the only way Apple can keep their lucrative hardware sales AND a stable, elegant OS.

Just wouldn't work financially.

calculus
Feb 4, 2007, 04:51 AM
Seriously. The Beatles are good, but we've all heard the songs a million times. No one cares anymore. G5 powerbooks sound more appealing.

I think you must live in a very narrowly defined world!

AdeFowler
Feb 4, 2007, 04:51 AM
Don't get too excited people, it'll just be a vista-bashing Get a Mac ad :o

iShak
Feb 4, 2007, 05:16 AM

finally! ....

we need ipod 6G steve!!! keep your stupid expenisive iphone toy away from ipod.

jive
Feb 4, 2007, 05:25 AM
If it is a Beatles announcement, it will be great for iTunes Store users and for Apple (both of them), but it won't effect me.

Despite the Beatles being one of my favorite bands, I would never download a Beatles song. As with all of my favorite bands, I always buy the physical CD. The only exception is if the song is exclusive to the Store (I bought the live version of U2's "The Saints are Coming" from the iTS).

That's not U2's song. It's a cover of a Scottish band called The Skids.

surferfromuk
Feb 4, 2007, 05:39 AM
100GB iPhone-like Video iPod full of Beatles songs and the movie Yellow Submarine. Available Monday. :D

I second that!. I just hope the up the bit rate.....and let's face it who amongst us seriuosly doubts that Steve couldn't walk into a room with McCartney, Starr, Ono, and Harrison (wife) and not walk out with a smile on his face and an exclusive digital distribution deal ???

Bonte
Feb 4, 2007, 06:06 AM
osX on PC

10.5 probably will run on compatible PC's but Apple wont make a Super Bowl commercial for it, that will be for Beatles and maybe a new iPod.

Some PC notebooks already support osX, they just need a ROM update and the standard Mac Mini system disks install like they would normally do. So no hacks and cracks with the OS, just a ROM update on the machine. osX on PC's is coming for sure, Apple only has to make the decision where and when. 10.5 seems like a good opportunity for that, ether way we will get osX on PC's if Apple wants it or not.

Mac's are less important than iPod or the iPhone these days so losing some hardware sales isn't such a big deal anymore, licensing osX will compensate that more than enough and better compatibility with the iPhone is a big plus. The next 3 to 5 years will be very interesting to say the least.

spicyapple
Feb 4, 2007, 06:10 AM
The Beatles on iTS is overrated, IMO.

The Superbowl ad is going to target Vista and new computer buyers with a Buy Mac campaign. How do I know? I got Apple's promotional email. :p

Feb 4, 2007, 06:11 AM
Oh yeah the Super Bowl is on tomorrow isn't it. Just sitting on my couch watching the cricket - we don't really care about the Super Bowl down here, there's a little story on the news and that's about it.

OK, well, then yes, the pigs will be out for Super Bowl Monday in their finest capes and face masks.

Yep, here in Europe we could say that Super Bowl means something like a big place for putting salad...apart from 1984, we have no reason to care, as we play real football here...

Anyway, bring on the Beatles!

EagerDragon
Feb 4, 2007, 06:29 AM
If it is the beatles it would be a waste in my opinion. At 2.5 mil per 30 seconds thats a lot of money for something that people allready have in their music collection.

Hope it is something related to Mac's or new products, something that is going to generate more revenue and excitement.

EagerDragon
Feb 4, 2007, 06:52 AM
Maybe something about the last 30 years and what is to come (next 30 years).
That would make sense to me given all the hoopla over this year and the previous 1984 commercial.

Time to get people excited over the next 30 years.
:)

iMikeT
Feb 4, 2007, 07:05 AM
Well I'm not going to hold my breath in the case of disappointment. I just keep saying to myself that this is nothing more than a rumor.

Chrismcfall
Feb 4, 2007, 08:00 AM
What time would this be in the UK?

CarlisleUnited
Feb 4, 2007, 08:28 AM
It's on at the local pub from 10PM through to 4AM

F.D.
The Beatles coming to iTunes would warrant a TV campaign, but not something as high profile as the Superbowl. $2.5m is a lot of money to sell a 40 year old product.

Leopard on the other hand, is certainly NOT a 40 year old product. Which product do you think is going to earn Apple more revenue? Which product do you think would place Apple at the cutting edge of personal computing technology? Which product could return Windows firmly to the back foot? And which product is right at the heart of everything Apple does?

Once you've worked that one out, you have the answer to which Apple product, if any, you're likely to see during the Superbowl.

acearchie
Dont want to put anyone down, but do we actually have any actual rumors that actually say there is going to be an ad?

One of my favourite macrumor quotes, this information should be taken with a pinch of salt!

cal6n
Feb 4, 2007, 08:30 AM
Good news! They actually have better computers than the G3 and they are available right now!

Well, the G4s and G5s were better but the Intels are just faster...

Gosh
Feb 4, 2007, 08:48 AM
Apple has bought Apple Corp or maybe the other way round!:eek:

The guesses are getting ever more desperate - please tell us?

danvdr
Feb 4, 2007, 08:53 AM
Let's not forget "halo" effect.

The Beatles are still big. Being associated with something big is always good for brand recognition for a company and there will be lots of people who will go to the music store just to check it out. If 5% of those people start poking around into other things Apple the commercial will be money well spent.

Jerry Spoon
Feb 4, 2007, 09:03 AM
No matter what it is, the new commercial will inevitably bring about many (most likely unfortunate) comparisons to the wonderful 1984 spot.

I doubt we'll see an ad from Apple. Didn't see (or don't remember) the 1984 ad, but do remember Apple's last superbowl ad from 1999. At the time I liked it, but doesn't hold up to many other Apple ads. I think it spoke to the worries of the time though.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/redlightrunner/hal2000.mov (http://http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/redlightrunner/hal2000.mov)

bravedeer
Feb 4, 2007, 09:19 AM
The Beatles coming to iTunes would warrant a TV campaign, but not something as high profile as the Superbowl. $2.5m is a lot of money to sell a 40 year old product.

Leopard on the other hand, is certainly NOT a 40 year old product. Which product do you think is going to earn Apple more revenue? Which product do you think would place Apple at the cutting edge of personal computing technology? Which product could return Windows firmly to the back foot? And which product is right at the heart of everything Apple does?

Once you've worked that one out, you have the answer to which Apple product, if any, you're likely to see during the Superbowl.

new generation iPod. There's probably 20x people in the US who would be affected by an iPod commercial over an operating system commercial. Sorry but most of mac users don't get exicted over the OS. It's just a small group of tech geeks like us that do. So it'd be a waste of money...

tallyho
Feb 4, 2007, 09:40 AM
Yep, here in Europe we could say that Super Bowl means something like a big place for putting salad...apart from 1984, we have no reason to care, as we play real football here...

Budweiser's advert for their sponsorship of UK football
http://www.visit4info.com/details.cfm?adid=21971 :D

imacdaddy
Feb 4, 2007, 09:43 AM
No Apple commercial is listed anywhere. I rather doubt they will have a commercial. In the who's in section they list all of the advertisers and the number of spots they bought. No Apple, but Budwiser bought 10 spots! Serious $$.

I don't think that is a "complete" list. I only counted 38. There are more than 38 commercials for the super bowl, no?

150hp
Feb 4, 2007, 09:45 AM
Well, the G4s and G5s were better but the Intels are just faster...

Exactly. But I digress from the topic at hand...

My own Apple conpiracy theory is that Apple DOES have an ad lined up, just some other company is listed as the buyer of the spot cuz Apple is so secretive.:D :D

Seriously, I making that up. I have no inside source. I'm just enjoying another rumor guessing opportunity.

Ha ze
Feb 4, 2007, 09:49 AM
iTunes HD?

TheBobcat
Feb 4, 2007, 09:49 AM
IF Apple is taking out an ad, I seriously doubt it will be for Leopard. Super Bowl fans eat chips and drink Bud Light, they don't care about Time Machine or Spaces even when they're sober. I'm going to have to go with Beatles on iTMS if anything.

Eraserhead
Feb 4, 2007, 10:09 AM
What time would this be in the UK?

From about 10pm until 3am.

holamiamigos
Feb 4, 2007, 10:21 AM
apple Has been known to air important things during the superbowl
http://www.duke.edu/~tlove/runner1.jpg (http://www.apple-history.com/movies/1984.mov)

click for retro goodness

nice

zelmo
Feb 4, 2007, 10:23 AM
What about the way that Apple has operated since Steve returned makes anyone think he would allow any significant product upgrade/announcement [6G iPod, Beatles iPod, Leopard secrets] to occur in a 30 second TV spot? We had a special event for leather cases and a speaker, remember?

At best we'll get a new ad campaign. Not for iPod, but perhaps:

something to re-ignite the waning mass media iPhone buzz, or

maybe a cryptic ad alluding to the real next OS that is coming in 07, or

some iTS content [Beatles is cool, movie studio announcements?], or

there is no ad.

BuzWeaver
Feb 4, 2007, 10:26 AM
I'll watch and see. I'm not sure I want to watch the five hours of pre-game to catch certain ad teasers for when the game starts.

chubad
Feb 4, 2007, 10:37 AM
Sorry boys and girls you will be waiting for nothing. All of the airtime bought has been accounted for and NO Apple ad is listed.

Fotograffiti
Feb 4, 2007, 10:42 AM
Maybe Apple will unveil the real Time Machine, so Bears fans can go back to 1985 and watch their team actually win a Super Bowl as opposed to just participate. :p

He shoots...he scores! Funny stuff.. hehe

direzz
Feb 4, 2007, 11:08 AM
its just another im a pc im a mac ads. honestly.

mrgreen4242
Feb 4, 2007, 11:13 AM
apple would need to sell allot of Beatles songs to break even.
not that they wont make back the money but seems like a whole bunch of cash for songs most people have on their iPods already.
They only make a few cents per song so they would need to sell like twenty million Beatles songs just to make their $$ back.
:confused:

I'm thinking that it's the Beatles on iTMS and a special Beatles iPod. Either the iPod is just an expensive 80gb 5.5G or it's the first model of the 6G class iPods, and the "regular", non-special editions of the 6G will come out in a couple months, around when the iPhone is available. OK, that's wishful thinking...

Most likely it's just a spot for the Apple TV/iPhone/OS10.5, if anything.

crispoe
Feb 4, 2007, 11:13 AM

John Hodgman becomes a mac in one of the PC Mac Commercials, I could see that.

bartelby
Feb 4, 2007, 11:16 AM
From about 10pm until 3am.

Not that you'll see the US ads.

crispoe
Feb 4, 2007, 11:24 AM
10.5 probably will run on compatible PC's but Apple wont make a Super Bowl commercial for it, that will be for Beatles and maybe a new iPod.

Some PC notebooks already support osX, they just need a ROM update and the standard Mac Mini system disks install like they would normally do. So no hacks and cracks with the OS, just a ROM update on the machine. osX on PC's is coming for sure, Apple only has to make the decision where and when. 10.5 seems like a good opportunity for that, ether way we will get osX on PC's if Apple wants it or not.

Mac's are less important than iPod or the iPhone these days so losing some hardware sales isn't such a big deal anymore, licensing osX will compensate that more than enough and better compatibility with the iPhone is a big plus. The next 3 to 5 years will be very interesting to say the least.

What a blow it would be to Vista if Apple showed OS X for PC's in front of 140 million viewers, especially when every news program and press related story is telling people that Vista is a OS X clone etc. Vista is also getting pretty poor reviews from most of the US press. Plus to get all the features Windows Vista Ultimate costs $400. If Apple puts it out at $129/199 w/iLife- Ouch.

Hairball
Feb 4, 2007, 11:49 AM
Although I'd like to see something new (hoping for remastered Beatles tunes, a new iPod or even a OS X teaser), how much can be done in 30 seconds? I agree with everyone who has already said that there will probably be a new Mac vs. PC commercial. Maybe I'm a Beatle would show up?

Feb 4, 2007, 12:01 PM
Budweiser's advert for their sponsorship of UK football
http://www.visit4info.com/details.cfm?adid=21971 :D

It's good to see that they acknowledge such distortions ;)

Peace
Feb 4, 2007, 12:03 PM

Some advertisers are stealth.
From that link :

"While Ross declined to offer a roster of all of her Super Bowl clients, saying that some sponsors would like to preserve the element of surprise, she did name a first-time advertiser in the Web site SalesGenie.com. The dot-com has bought time in pre-game slots, as well as in-game and post-game. Besides making its Super Bowl debut, the Feb. 4 game will mark the first time that SalesGenie.com has bought prime-time real estate."

Jerry Spoon
Feb 4, 2007, 12:06 PM

I sure hope not. Major "Jump the Shark" moment.

bill4588
Feb 4, 2007, 12:07 PM
I don't think Apple would release OS X for window's machines. what makes OS X operate so smoothly is integration, and there are thousands of PC configurations out there and there's no way to make OS X as good on a PC than it is on a Mac. The only way Apple would make their OS for PC's is if there was a standard for PC's (like there is for Mac's).

But about the super bowl, I think it's just going to be something minor like the Beatles in iTMS or just another Mac vs. PC commercial.

zelmo
Feb 4, 2007, 12:10 PM

The only way the PC can become a Mac is if Apple releases OS X for x86, right? He portrays a PC, not a PC user.;)

Much Ado
Feb 4, 2007, 12:32 PM
I don't think Apple would release OS X for window's machines.

:rolleyes:

flyinmac
Feb 4, 2007, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing something as epic as the Macintosh in 1984. That would really make 2007 "only the beginning".

Yes, today will mark the end of the Macintosh.

An exciting, high-energy commercial will debut the "Apple".

Going back to it's roots, the company is going to place their name in every product.

Introducing the Apple Pro, Apple Home, Apple Freedom, and Apple Inviso

These lines will replace the Mac Pro, iMac, MacBook Series, and the Inviso will replace the extremely over-sized Mac Mini.

The Inviso will cram all the same features into a computer the size of dime. With 802.11n, BlueTooth, and other technologies, there is no-longer any need for cables, so no connectors are included. Just set it down, and everything sees it automatically. Wireless mouse, keyboard, monitor, power, everything is wireless. Just try not to lose it.

:apple: See why 2007 will not be like 1984 :apple:

iJawn108
Feb 4, 2007, 12:37 PM
"On June 19th 2007 Apple Inc. Will announce the Product Red™ Delicious" ;)

gloss
Feb 4, 2007, 01:02 PM

QQ. They'll still be the only company to legally offer the Beatles catalogue digitally. It'll sell.

flyinmac
Feb 4, 2007, 01:05 PM
QQ. They'll still be the only company to legally offer the Beatles catalogue digitally. It'll sell.

I saw in the newspaper last week that the Beatles were selling in the Top 20. I couldn't believe it. That was the same Top 20 that includes current artists releasing current music. And the Beatles were in that same Top 20. Incredible.

dornoforpyros
Feb 4, 2007, 01:13 PM
Superbowl Sunday? Go Pepsi!

Actually in Canada we don't even get the ad's as the american channels are typically swapped for the Canadian broadcast and ads. The very unscrupulous cable company in my home town would even take it a step further by cutting out the network ads and inserting LOCAL ads during the game. It was pretty obvious too because they were really badly done ad's for Tom's Tires and crap.

macsaregoodmkay
Feb 4, 2007, 01:18 PM

keep in mind they would be trying to sell lo-fi audio. i will never buy anything from itunes until they offer full quality audio. in 3 years we will be putting 24 bit 88.2k audio on our ipods and trashing our lo-fi audio collections. this is a sad time inbetween technologies where we pay for convenience with quality. i have a feeling beetles fans know this. lets hope this rumor is false and its really a 16 core laptop :)

Kobushi
Feb 4, 2007, 01:19 PM
......I was so dissappointed in the "iPhoneWorld" keynote. I suspect to be let down here too.

10.5 & all.

Anyways....

Uh.... I hear the G4 is nice... also the G5.... you might also try a nice dual-core intel ProMac.....

Oh wait.... are you waiting for the Super-OctoCore-Intel-Thunder-Couger-Falco-Bird-6000 with optional laser beams that will scratch your bum for you from up to 100' away? Yeah, me too. ;)

tektonnic
Feb 4, 2007, 01:31 PM

That would really work if... (PC came on dressed like Mac)
Mac : 'you got a new look pc!'
PC : 'yeh'
Mac : 'yeh you look a bit like me'
PC : 'er no'
Mac : 'well have you got cool stuff like ilife?'
PC : 'well, not really'
Mac : 'still spreadsheets?'
PC 'yeh.'

haha made me laugh, i think apple should hire me as a script writer!

abuck84
Feb 4, 2007, 01:32 PM
I've heard rumors that this ad could support the introduction of the full-screen iPod. Does anyone else hold this as accurate?

flyinmac
Feb 4, 2007, 01:32 PM
Superbowl Sunday? Go Pepsi!

Actually in Canada we don't even get the ad's as the american channels are typically swapped for the Canadian broadcast and ads. The very unscrupulous cable company in my home town would even take it a step further by cutting out the network ads and inserting LOCAL ads during the game. It was pretty obvious too because they were really badly done ad's for Tom's Tires and crap.

Cheerleaders jumping on cars and mounting and balancing tires. Doing flips over the cars and cheering the lugnuts as they spin onto the wheels by themselves.

Pom-Poms and short skirts. All cheering for Tom's Tires.

Sounds just about right :cool:

appleguy
Feb 4, 2007, 01:36 PM
That would really work if... (PC came on dressed like Mac)
PC : 'er no'
Mac : 'well have you got cool stuff like ilife?'
Mac : 'still spreadsheets?'
PC 'yeh.'

haha made me laugh, i think apple should hire me as a script writer!

what about
(PC came on dressed like Mac)
PC : 'i know, just upgraded to visita'
Mac : 'are you stable'
Mac : 'still crash?'
PC 'yeh.'

sumisu3
Feb 4, 2007, 01:44 PM
itunes store is offline - seems to indicate that something like the Beatles announcement is likely

Peace
Feb 4, 2007, 01:46 PM
itunes store is offline - seems to indicate that something like the Beatles announcement is likely

works fine for me

AppleMan101
Feb 4, 2007, 01:48 PM

How's about.... "no" ?

UK and US stores are both still online, you dirty stirrer you! :eek:

appleguy
works fine for me

same here but I am using the New Zealand itunes store

Butters
what about
PC 'yeh.'
I like that hehe i think it would work, would cetainly get a lot of attention

sumisu3
Feb 4, 2007, 01:49 PM
couldn't connect 3 times over 30 minutes but can connect fine now (and, yes, my internet connection was fine)

oh well

Peace
Feb 4, 2007, 01:49 PM
same here but I am using the New Zealand itunes store

I'm using the U.S. store.That would be the first to go down.But it's not and won't be.

Ha ze
Feb 4, 2007, 01:50 PM
i agree, Beatles would be a good addition to the store, but i bet most people would say "...so?" thinking they were already there.

iTunes HD would be a much bigger deal, but i'm simply hoping

killr_b
Feb 4, 2007, 01:50 PM
what about
PC 'yeh.'

Or they could have PC on a recovery table with a doctor telling Mac that his Vista isn't quite stable yet. :D

Or they could dig at the Vista upgrade nullifying the original XP key…

appleguy
Feb 4, 2007, 01:53 PM
new get a mac ads on www.apple.com/getamac/
I couldnt remember seeing these there yesterday

its offical
the announcement is
download every superbowl via itunes music store

macfan881
Feb 4, 2007, 01:53 PM
it be totaly awsome if apple re introduces the 1984 mac but with a intel core 2 duo and have built in isight and have the floppy drive be a slot loading dvd drive

Ha ze
Feb 4, 2007, 01:56 PM
its offical
the announcement is

Where is it official?

JGowan
Feb 4, 2007, 01:57 PM
new generation iPod. There's probably 20x people in the US who would be affected by an iPod commercial over an operating system commercial. Sorry but most of mac users don't get exicted over the OS. It's just a small group of tech geeks like us that do. So it'd be a waste of money...While I agree with you that a next generation iPod would be better, not only for me but for a lotta fools who want the 6th Gen 'Pod); I have to disagree that most mac users don't excited over the OS.

I think that the people who buy Apple computers do so because they truly do care about the OS and the environment they compute with otherwise they'd just buy a cheaper Windows PC and be done with it. Apple has traditionally cost a little more and people have been willing to pay for it because they appreciate the difference.

AppleMan101
Feb 4, 2007, 01:58 PM
Those in the US might be spending the next 3 and a half hours waiting for the superbowl...but in the UK, more important things are afoot... TG in 2 minutes guys!
:D

appleguy
Feb 4, 2007, 01:58 PM
Where is it official?

I was just pulling chains :lol:

MrCrowbar
Feb 4, 2007, 02:01 PM
new get a mac ads on www.apple.com/getamac/
I couldnt remember seeing these there yesterday

its offical
the announcement is

This one has been there for weeks. Seen it on TV too.

flyinmac
Feb 4, 2007, 02:01 PM
what about
PC 'yeh.'

How 'bout a little alteration to the story line:

PC : 'well, actually I'm still a bit unnerved'
Mac : 'what's wrong?'
PC : 'my owner took me to one of those discount upgrade shops'
Mac : 'and?'
PC : 'I feel so violated'
Mac : 'what happened'
PC : 'they took me in the back room, and did some very bad things'
Mac : 'Oh, I'm sorry'
PC : 'yes, it was like being abducted by aliens, they were sticking things in there, re-arranging my parts, and performing transplants with parts from the future'
Mac : 'Wow. That's terrible'
PC : 'well, at least they made my interface prettier'
Mac : 'TMI (Too Much Information)'
PC : 'Well, at least it's over'
Mac : 'So, what's your owner think?'
PC : 'well, he hasn't been very supportive. All he's done is curse at me. After all I've been through, It's really upsetting.'
Mac : 'Sorry Mac'
PC : 'Next time I'm going to an Authorized Service Center. No more back alley shops for me'
Mac : 'So, ready to get back to work?'
PC : 'well, not really. I'm waiting for the doctor to get my update shot ready'
Mac : 'Sounds terrible'
PC : 'It's not too bad. The SP1 shot should be ready in about 3 months'
Mac : 'what are you going to do until then?'
PC : 'well, not much. Probably just take sick leave. Can't do much else anyway'
Mac : 'I hope my owner doesn't load Vista on me'
PC : 'Shhh. I'm calling your house. Gonna leave a message telling your owner how great Vista is.'
Mac : 'PC, PC, Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!'
PC : 'Too Late :D '
Mac : 'That's cruel'
PC : 'i know, :rolleyes: Evil Grin. Yaaa Haa Haa Haa'
Mac : 'Here comes my owner. What's he holding? What is that :eek: Oh, no, it's a box of Vista :eek: Sorry PC, gotta Run.'
PC : 'See you soon (evil grin)'

MrCrowbar
Feb 4, 2007, 02:10 PM
Or they could have PC on a recovery table with a doctor telling Mac that his Vista isn't quite stable yet. :D

Mac: "Will he be alright?"
Doctor: "Are you his family?"
Mac: "Oh, I'm a friend."
Doctor: "Well, it was a very complicated procedure. He's not completely stable yet.
PC "uhhhh..."
Mac: "Oh, he's waking up!"
PC "Mmmmaaaac... !"
Doctor: "Don't worry sir, the upgrade was a success. In a couple of months, you'll be doing spreadsheets again."

:apple:

bbydon
Feb 4, 2007, 02:15 PM
Apple won't be doing a superbowl ad.
Its not money well spent.
They get more coverage on their own with a stupid press gathering.
Look at all the press they get for one annoucement now....and it doesnt cost 2.5 million.
Not gonna happen.

psychofreak
Feb 4, 2007, 02:30 PM
Look at all the press they get for one annoucement now....and it doesnt cost 2.5 million.
Not gonna happen.

Bandwidth cost....venue hire...cameras...filming/editing people...keynote making people..its not free (not what you said but close-ish)

Chupa Chupa
Feb 4, 2007, 02:43 PM
From what I've heard, M$ will be running a Zune ad. So it would make sense for Apple to counter. If the Beatles are an iTunes excluse its an "in your face" message to M$ and the world that iTunes is the king of legal music d/l and everyone else is a poser.

Sure, The Beatles isn't that sexy of an announcement compared to new hardware. But The Beatles are still regarded as the innovators of the modern Rock and Roll band. To have them exclusevly makes a statement, if nothing else.

I don't expect new hardware to be announced, but in my fantasy land I'd love a WS iPod. I'm not a huge Beatles fan, but I'd RUN out and buy a WS Beatles iPod (as Merlin Mann dreamed up) if it was the only model Apple sold. We'll see.

Porchland
Feb 4, 2007, 02:54 PM
Apple holds a notorious place in Super Bowl advertising history with their 1984 commercial (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_(television_commercial)) which announced the original Macintosh.

Notorious means famous for something bad.

carlgo
Feb 4, 2007, 02:58 PM
Not gonna happen.

I dunno. The events generally preach to the choir whereas the Super Bowl ads reach the many masses. Also, it is good for Apple to be identified with beer, football, burritos, Toyotas..you know, American middle class stuff. That's the big market.

flyinmac
Feb 4, 2007, 03:02 PM
I dunno. The events generally preach to the choir whereas the Super Bowl ads reach the many masses. Also, it is good for Apple to be identified with beer, football, burritos, Toyotas..you know, American middle class stuff. That's the big market.

That explains the massive chin on the iMac. It's a beer gut :D

New Mac and PC ad. Mac sloshes in with beer in-hand. A big belch rumbles through the room. PC turns on his fan to blow the smell the other direction, and the Mac (playing the roll as a high-school football jock) flushes the PC's head in the toilet.

Yep, that'd sell a million Macs.

cgfour
Feb 4, 2007, 03:11 PM
The ad is definitely going to be about 10.4.9.

twoodcc
Feb 4, 2007, 03:31 PM
well it'll be here soon :)

hope something is released besides the Beatles

psychofreak
Feb 4, 2007, 03:35 PM
it be totaly awsome if apple re introduces the 1984 mac but with a intel core 2 duo and have built in isight and have the floppy drive be a slot loading dvd drive

You mean the iMac...

psychofreak
Feb 4, 2007, 03:35 PM
The ad is definitely going to be about 10.4.9.

Are you serious?...$2.5M + filming costs etc for a point release...

odedia
Feb 4, 2007, 03:42 PM

It was a joke.

EricNau
Feb 4, 2007, 03:50 PM
Notorious means famous for something bad.
Typically, yes, but not necessarily.

cgfour
Feb 4, 2007, 03:58 PM

The cost of 3D animation these days is through the roof. Have some flying build numbers that morph into some of the past OS cats and then have the nine in 10.4.9 turn into a Leopard. The announcement is that 10.4.9 is Leopard.

"It was a joke"

jumpinjohn
Feb 4, 2007, 04:14 PM
Definitely iTunes commercial. But the big surprise will be that Apple has exclusive rights to the entire digitally remastered collection of The Monkees! Yay to Davey, Mike, Mickey and Peter!

Everyone knows that the Monkees are the most copied band ever and that they invented Rock & Roll!

Then they will follow up with something about Vista and OS/X. You know, something like, c'mon microsoft, quit monkeying around with operating systems, or how many monkeys does it take to write Vista?. My insider information is a bit fuzzy about this, but I'm sure it will happen.

See 'ya,
John

PS, you can be amazed later...:)

appleguy
Feb 4, 2007, 04:41 PM
maybe they will announce the Powerbook G5
ha ha ha

Feb 4, 2007, 04:42 PM
Tks, John, I am sure you have good sources...we all believe ya...:rolleyes:

page3
Feb 4, 2007, 04:44 PM
Those in the US might be spending the next 3 and a half hours waiting for the superbowl...but in the UK, more important things are afoot... TG in 2 minutes guys!
:DSo true :)

...although shame they always slag off TVR - something proudly British and that the US doesn't have.

RedDragon870503
Feb 4, 2007, 04:57 PM
I see a Powerbook G5 as well.

eenu
Feb 4, 2007, 05:02 PM
I see a Powerbook G5 as well.

When will these PB G5 comments ever stop!

twoodcc
Feb 4, 2007, 05:03 PM

seems like never.....

oncemore
Feb 4, 2007, 05:07 PM
super bowl have already started?

EricNau
Feb 4, 2007, 05:08 PM
super bowl have already started?

Not for 22 more minutes.

Soundburst
Feb 4, 2007, 05:12 PM
When do the big companies advertise? .... during it?

Will we get the ad in the U.K on Sky Sports 1?

psychofreak
Feb 4, 2007, 05:13 PM
It was a joke.

Oh...sarcasm doesn't come out too well in text...

flyinmac
Feb 4, 2007, 05:16 PM
Now this is just embarrassing :o

While the rest of the world is watching the Super Bowl for the football, the Apple Geeks are watching it hoping for Apple to announce a new Apple product or enhancement.

Since when did football become Nerd T.V.

What's this world coming to? :confused:

applemacdude
Oh...sarcasm doesn't come out too well in text...

seemed pretty obvious.....

Willis
So true :)

...although shame they always slag off TVR - something proudly British and that the US doesn't have.

It was British uptill a few years ago when a young russian bought it... now hes closed the factory in the UK, so one of the UKs remaining sports car makers has been moved out of the UK, even more so, owned by a non British... logic?

anyway, TVR's are very twitchy, and arent exactly reliable

japanime
Feb 4, 2007, 05:27 PM
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album on iTunes!

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=28600139&s=143441

JonHimself
Feb 4, 2007, 05:31 PM
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album on iTunes!

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=28600139&s=143441

haha nice... music store still isn't down though, you would think that IF there was an ad they would want it to be ready immediately, how long would it take for them to take the store down and put it back up with new content? Is it done fairly quickly?

McKs
Feb 4, 2007, 05:37 PM
Now this is just embarrassing :o

While the rest of the world is watching the Super Bowl for the football, the Apple Geeks are watching it hoping for Apple to announce a new Apple product or enhancement.

Since when did football become Nerd T.V.

What's this world coming to? :confused:

Eh, not to burst your bubble there, but the rest of the world has very limited interest in american football (it is called that for a reason you know, the rest of the world plays real football ;) )

So, anyway, anything yet? (the superbowl is not broadcasted here in Holland)

japanime
Feb 4, 2007, 05:37 PM
Mmm....

Listen to song #5. I got it as a free download a couple of years ago from the band's website. I still play it from time to time.

phytonix
Feb 4, 2007, 05:42 PM
apple store is still up, does that mean nothing is coming?

flyinmac
Feb 4, 2007, 05:44 PM
Eh, not to burst your bubble there, but the rest of the world has very limited interest in american football (it is called that for a reason you know, the rest of the world plays real football ;) )

Doesn't burst anything for me.

Watching a bunch a guys run around in tights chasing a ball and jumping on top of each other is not that great to me. Now, replace them with women, and that description might be more interesting.

I watch the Super Bowl more for the interesting commercials.

So, anyway, anything yet? (the superbowl is not broadcasted here in Holland)

Wait, did you see that? There it was. During the coin toss. It was right there. What was that. An Apple logo flashed past my eyes. Wait, there it is, it's the new iPod Nano.

That was no coin folks. That was the new iPod. Any smaller and you'd have missed it.

Great marketing. Put the iPod right in-front of everyone's eyes. Can't beat that for marketing.

OK, next the Mac that we've all been waiting for.

p0intblank
Feb 4, 2007, 05:46 PM

Watching a bunch a guys run around in tights chasing a ball and jumping on top of each other is not that great to me. Now, replace them with women, and that description might be more interesting.

I watch the Super Bowl more for the interesting commercials.

Wait, did you see that? There it was. During the coin toss. It was right there. What was that. An Apple logo flashed past my eyes. Wait, there it is, it's the new iPod Nano.

That was no coin folks. That was the new iPod. Any smaller and you'd have missed it.

Great marketing. Put the iPod right in-front of everyone's eyes. Can't beat that for marketing.

I saw it, too! I thought I was seeing things when the screen flashed with the Apple logo. Do you know the storage capacity?

japanime
Feb 4, 2007, 05:47 PM

Wait till the kickers start punting boxed copies of Windows Vista rather than the pigskin. Now, that will be something to cheer!

flyinmac
Feb 4, 2007, 05:48 PM
I saw it, too! I thought I was seeing things when the screen flashed with the Apple logo. Do you know the storage capacity?

I think it said 200 GB on it. Must be using that new storage drive from IBM that fits 200 GB on a drive the size of a dime.

japanime
Feb 4, 2007, 05:49 PM
Again: Mmm...

You're a hard person to please. ;)

SheriffParker
Feb 4, 2007, 06:01 PM
Watching a bunch a guys run around in tights chasing a ball and jumping on top of each other is not that great to me.

To each his own...

And the coaches are listening to the new iPod invisa! Oh wait, I dropped it. Where is it?

Oh, here it is. It's floating.

jimsowden
Feb 4, 2007, 06:08 PM
So true :)

Top gear over american football anyday.

psychofreak
Feb 4, 2007, 06:15 PM
You're a hard person to please. ;)

And yet apple (on the whole) succeed...

RealMcCoy
Feb 4, 2007, 06:16 PM
... nothing on CBS about an Apple Commercial

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/postseason/superads

I guess it will be the halftime then ;o)

Rocketman
Feb 4, 2007, 06:16 PM

Ummm. That is what the ATN is (iPhone).

Rocketman

flyinmac
Feb 4, 2007, 06:18 PM
To each his own...

Well, I suppose what really did it in for me was back in Junior High.

Playing football was mandatory. You had no choice. It was the rule at the local school. They didn't give you any way out of it. All guys had to play football like it or not.

Well, I was willing to tolerate it, and gave it a shot.

All was fine until the coach put me behind the guy with the ball. We were supposed to count off, and then I'd signal him that I was ready for the ball.

Unfortunately, the mandatory signal was that I was supposed to pat his crotch between his legs.

Well, I refused, and told the guy I'd just tell him to give me the ball. Sorry, but guys in tights jumping on-top of each-other and patting each-other's balls (and I don't mean the one being thrown), just isn't for me.

So, I transferred.

I was not about to pat some guys balls every day. Sorry, that's it. I have to draw the line somewhere.

And the coaches are listening to the new iPod invisa! Oh wait, I dropped it. Where is it?

Oh, here it is. It's floating.

Did you miss the last ad?

It was fast. Almost subliminal. Number 42 tripped over an iPod Video on the 30 yard line.

Then, on the next huddle, everyone pulled-out their iPod's and synchronized their songs. They're using the beat to keep their timing synchronized.

Then, when the last guy got tackled, I saw the ear-buds come flying out of his helmet.

Man, I hope the iPod's screen didn't get cracked in that one.

Oh, the football player, I'm sure he'll be fine. A few weeks in traction at the hospital. No big deal. But, man I hope he didn't crack his Nano.

gothiquegirrl
Feb 4, 2007, 06:19 PM

(sigh)

Well.. I'm 27.. And I generally don't listen to any music made afte like 1995... with the bulk of my music written around 1945! LOL I don't own a T.V.. I Don't Yet own an iPod... and No I don't really like the beatles.. but I just wanted to say that I am one of thsoe obsure people who enjoy older music.

No.. It may not sell in mass.. but I'd own an iPod if I could buy and download things I like to listen to.. Right now I generally use rhapsody for my music.. and watch TV from Downloads..

Ang

Chundles
Feb 4, 2007, 06:21 PM
Ummm. That is what the ATN is (iPhone).

Rocketman

No such thing as the ATN, it's called the iPhone and that is what it is. This ATN train you're driving is going nowhere.

Has it stopped raining? Looks like it has.

Rocketman
Feb 4, 2007, 06:24 PM
It is also generally considered to be the best television advertisement, ever.

Actually the Mean Joe Green Pepsi ad is that. Year after year, including this year.

The Apple ad was the leader of "event" advertising. Now we have a whole series of revolutionary Superbowl ads which are "event ads".

Apple started it. Read Adweek or Advertising Age.

Rocketman

Rocketman
Feb 4, 2007, 06:35 PM

There is no limit to the number of morons on the internet.

Rocketman

psychofreak
Feb 4, 2007, 06:41 PM
There is no limit to the number of morons on the internet.

Rocketman

Morons said that apple was going to switch architecture...

Rocketman
Feb 4, 2007, 06:45 PM
No such thing as the ATN, it's called the iPhone and that is what it is. This ATN train you're driving is going nowhere.

I do not care how many "followers" I have on the "ATN" train. The point is to refer to it in such a way people realize iPhone is nothing more than an APPLICATION on a multi-function hand-held, finger pointing device with substantially more features and power than a PowerMac G4-800.

Rocketman

Chundles
Feb 4, 2007, 06:47 PM
I do ot care how many "followers" I have on the "ATN" train. The point is to refer to it in such a way people realize iPhone is nothing more than an APPLICATION on a multi-function device with substantially more features and power than a PowerMac G4-800.

Rocketman

There it is... :D

Nothing like a fishing trip in the morning.

djellison
Feb 4, 2007, 06:54 PM
Is the ad typically right at the beginning of half time (i.e. right after the whistle ) or in the middle of the half time boob show?

Doug

kildraik
Feb 4, 2007, 07:01 PM
Haha there was just a commercial on that had pics of timelines of computers that went from old supercomputers to desktops to laptops (the laptop was the only mac) then went to show a 12" iBook...

then it turned into an Acura commercial. Damnit I was ready to be amazed.

:(

Phobophobia
Feb 4, 2007, 07:02 PM
Haha there was just a commercial on that had pics of timelines of computers that went from old supercomputers to desktops to laptops (the laptop was the only mac) then went to show a 12" iBook...

What a letdown. LOL

AnDi86
Feb 4, 2007, 07:02 PM
how far into the game are yous whens the next set off ads? i have no idea what going on from all the way over in the isle of ireland... just awaiting to hear if an ad is shown?

nitynate
Feb 4, 2007, 07:05 PM

I saw that. Gah! :o

JohnnyQuest
Feb 4, 2007, 07:08 PM
Is it definite that there is going to be an Apple ad or no? Because I feel like an idiot just sitting here waiting for it. lol

kildraik
Feb 4, 2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah, it sucked. So I think prince has gotten more plastic surgery.

the lighting and the stage is cool.

his hair makes me chuckle.

i wish it were rainging here lol.

He sounds great though!

And yes, I also feel like an idiot.

Chaszmyr
Feb 4, 2007, 07:09 PM
Is it definite that there is going to be an Apple ad or no? Because I feel like an idiot just sitting here waiting for it. lol

It is far from definite. There is no reliable source pointing to an Apple ad.

Chundles
Feb 4, 2007, 07:15 PM
Wait - is Prince playing The Best of You by the Foo Fighters?

Yes he is. Well that's just really weird.

Geeze it looks funny with all that rain coming down, are they playing on synthetic because if that was here it'd be a mud bowl by now - no synthetic turf here.

SoldOutMatinee
Feb 4, 2007, 07:16 PM
I can't believe I'm watching the damn Super Bowl. *sigh* The things I do for Apple...

shikimo
Feb 4, 2007, 07:16 PM
here in france there are no commercials. just two french guys talking about a sport they dont understand too well through all the breaks.

so im completely dependent on y'all for reporting the commercials:).

and BTW, prince doesnt look so bad, for a 4'10" newly-baptized jehovahs witness who is currently playing a guitar shaped like the unpronouncable sign that was once his legal name. lunatic? sure. great musician, even now? hell ya.

geerlingguy
Feb 4, 2007, 07:17 PM
Instead of an Apple ad, we're getting Prince's (or is it still 'the artist formerly known as Prince?' The logo/stage thing looks ridiculous) lip-synch extravaganza. At least there won't be a Prince wardrobe malfunction... :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention (for all you foreigners) - the game's actually pretty exciting, with all the rain and slippery pigskins...

kildraik
Feb 4, 2007, 07:17 PM
Off topic to that Apple ad... but it's about the halftime show...

Okay, so I have a question about Prince. So, his show is amazing so far.... but that symbol.... what is it?

I know general info about how he changed his name to that symbol, and his guitar is now also shaped like it. Does anybody know?

Edit: okay, so people beat me to pointing out his symbol..... does anybody know what it is?

shikimo
Feb 4, 2007, 07:18 PM
Wait - is Prince playing The Best of You by the Foo Fighters?

Yes he is. Well that's just really weird.

Geeze it looks funny with all that rain coming down, are they playing on synthetic because if that was here it'd be a mud bowl by now - no synthetic turf here.

real turf in miami stadium. for sure. not sure why it isnt muddier, but i promise its real.

iShak
Feb 4, 2007, 07:19 PM
nothin yet ...

but hey this american football is fun (yeah me a brit) .. quite enjoyin the show .. but this guy 'prince' is really takin a piss ... only if i could lay my hands on the bugger ... thought half time shows were meant to be good .. :(

djellison
Feb 4, 2007, 07:19 PM
He looked like a 55 year old house wife from 1950's North East Britain.

Just bizarre.

swiftaw
Feb 4, 2007, 07:20 PM
real turf in miami stadium. for sure. not sure why it isnt muddier, but i promise its real.

Dolphins stadium has an amazing drainage system, apparently it can remove 3 inches of water per hour from the surface.

KingYaba
LOL I saw the ad, it was soo funny!!!!!

ogee
is this feed live ?

http://www.superbowl.com/video

swiftaw

Just bizarre.

Hilda Ogden :)

mrat93
I'm too lazy to see if an Apple commericial is mentioned in this link http://www.myspace.com/superspots

Avicdar
Feb 4, 2007, 07:21 PM
Instead of an Apple ad, we're getting Prince's (or is it still 'the artist formerly known as Prince?' The logo/stage thing looks ridiculous) lip-synch extravaganza. At least there won't be a Prince wardrobe malfunction... :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention (for all you foreigners) - the game's actually pretty exciting, with all the rain and slippery pigskins...

Lip sync? Don't think so. Looked pretty darn real to me.

flyinmac
Feb 4, 2007, 07:23 PM
nothin yet ...

but hey this american football is fun (yeah me a brit) .. quite enjoyin the show .. but this guy 'prince' is really takin a piss ... only if i could lay my hands on the bugger ... thought half time shows were meant to be good .. :(

Well, they could all join hands around the field and sway in unison while singing "We all live in a yellow submarine".

I suppose you'd prefer that :D

kildraik
Feb 4, 2007, 07:23 PM
HAHA. Another misleading add. It started out with:

"For the 30 first years, we've built the worlds leading..........................................trucks."

Grr. And it even took place in a garage or barn... one of them...

iShak
Feb 4, 2007, 07:26 PM

Just bizarre.

hahaha

anyway ... ipod made an appearance just now .. (nissan centra ad)

Well, they could all join hands around the field and sway in unison while singing "We all live in a yellow submarine".

I suppose you'd prefer that :D

LOL, followed by, "who ate all the pies..."

samh004

That might be a coca-cola advert, listed as "time line" here (http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/postseason/superads).

Geeze it looks funny with all that rain coming down, are they playing on synthetic because if that was here it'd be a mud bowl by now - no synthetic turf here.real turf in miami stadium. for sure. not sure why it isnt muddier, but i promise its real.

I was under the impression American football was played only on astroturf. Must be an amazing drainage system.

Steamie
Sorry Guys , I think Prince rocked .... Maybe this means I'm not over the hill after all ;)

flyinmac
Feb 4, 2007, 07:27 PM

Hey, it's Mac World 2007 all over again :p

Apple's taking 2 hours to say nothing :eek:

Got you :cool:

Avicdar
Feb 4, 2007, 07:28 PM
Sorry Guys , I think Prince rocked .... Maybe this means I'm not over the hill after all ;)

Geez. Agreed! He stood out there in the (purple) rain and played pretty damn well. Sounded good and seemed to be mostly into it.

Good showmanship.

direzz
wow prince was amazing eh! i thought it was great, and when he started purple rain i was like YES! and did you see all the fans just rush out onto the field? that was SIK!

so is the apple add coming now?

djellison
Hilda Ogden + $50k's worth of bad plastic surgery + pretending to play an electric guitar in torrential rain....priceless.

Anyhoo - the big guys have started running into one another again so I guess that's half time over :)

Doug

iJawn108
Feb 4, 2007, 07:29 PM
Still nothing huh..

*back to Oceans 12*

Chaszmyr
Feb 4, 2007, 07:29 PM
That might be a coca-cola advert, listed as "time line" here (http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/postseason/superads).

That link has a list of advertisers longer than the list that has already advertised, so it seems like it is a list of all of the advertisers for the whole game. Apple is not on the list.

shikimo
Feb 4, 2007, 07:30 PM

I was under the impression American football was played only on astroturf. Must be an amazing drainage system.

nope...obviously all the indoor stadiums have some variety of astroturf, but thats way less than half. even seattles new retractable roof joint has real grass. there was a movement against astroturf about 10 years ago when some studies proved that leg-joint injuries are more prevalent on fake lawns...all the better for sports, IMO, which were meant to be played on the ground, not plastic.

Maxwell Smart
Man, I was really hoping he would play 1999, I guess it's just a little too dated now eh?

Chundles

Nope, played on both. League and Rugby are only played on real grass but somehow American Football players manage to play on astroturf - can't be all that fun getting pummelled into the ground only to find you've got plastic burns on your arms from the "grass."

3" an hour from the surface?! What is it just a big hole with a gridiron-painted net over it? That's really cool.

Wonder how it compares with the newly resurfaced SCG or MCG - they seem to drain like nothing else around. Mind you, neither city has seen 3" in years let alone an hour.... :o

Avicdar
Feb 4, 2007, 07:31 PM
Hilda Ogden + $50k's worth of bad plastic surgery + pretending to play an electric guitar in torrential rain....priceless.

Anyhoo - the big guys have started running into one another again so I guess that's half time over :)

Doug

Pretending?

What is all this crud about lip syncing and now pretending to play?

He *was* playing. Watch it again - he didn't get everything right, and you heard that, and it was perfectly in sync.

Did anyone actually watch, or just assuming based on previous performers preference to lip sync and just go through the motions?

age234
Feb 4, 2007, 07:34 PM
I don't know when Apple would even air an ad between all these CSI commercials...:rolleyes:

neonart
Feb 4, 2007, 07:35 PM
Well, I suppose what really did it in for me was back in Junior High.

Playing football was mandatory. You had no choice. It was the rule at the local school. They didn't give you any way out of it. All guys had to play football like it or not.

Well, I was willing to tolerate it, and gave it a shot.

All was fine until the coach put me behind the guy with the ball. We were supposed to count off, and then I'd signal him that I was ready for the ball.

Unfortunately, the mandatory signal was that I was supposed to pat his crotch between his legs.

Well, I refused, and told the guy I'd just tell him to give me the ball. Sorry, but guys in tights jumping on-top of each-other and patting each-other's balls (and I don't mean the one being thrown), just isn't for me.

So, I transferred.

I was not about to pat some guys balls every day. Sorry, that's it. I have to draw the line somewhere.

Still early in the year, but file this one as a "funniest post" candidate.
-------------------
I really don't think apple will spend almost 3 million dollars unless they have something worth the expense. Something they could really bank on.

Forget watching football if you don't like football. Just surf for iPhone rumors like every other day.

F.D.
Feb 4, 2007, 07:36 PM
new generation iPod. There's probably 20x people in the US who would be affected by an iPod commercial over an operating system commercial. Sorry but most of mac users don't get exicted over the OS. It's just a small group of tech geeks like us that do. So it'd be a waste of money...

No new iPod will be announced until the iPhone has been launched. It's standard marketing practise to not confuse customers by multiple product launches across various market sectors.

As for no-one being excited about an OS, well normally I'd agree. But at the moment Apple will be wanting to respond to Windows Vista.

Rootman
Feb 4, 2007, 07:36 PM
Still no Apple ad. Score at the half: Shiites 16, Sunnis 14.

MacNut
Feb 4, 2007, 07:38 PM
Nope, played on both. League and Rugby are only played on real grass but somehow American Football players manage to play on astroturf - can't be all that fun getting pummelled into the ground only to find you've got plastic burns on your arms from the "grass."

3" an hour from the surface?! What is it just a big hole with a gridiron-painted net over it? That's really cool.

Wonder how it compares with the newly resurfaced SCG or MCG - they seem to drain like nothing else around. Mind you, neither city has seen 3" in years let alone an hour.... :oThe NFL and other leagues are changing to Field Turf (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_Turf).

iPaul
Feb 4, 2007, 07:43 PM
what is this ATN business about??

TC2COOL
Feb 4, 2007, 07:43 PM
The best part of all these posts are the number of Brits watching MANS football; that is, football with contact.

samh004
Feb 4, 2007, 07:44 PM
That link has a list of advertisers longer than the list that has already advertised, so it seems like it is a list of all of the advertisers for the whole game. Apple is not on the list.

If you click 'quarters' and then choose the 2nd quarter, which is half time, you'll find a coca-cola advert called time line.

flyinmac
Still early in the year, but file this one as a "funniest post" candidate.
-------------------
I really don't think apple will spend almost 3 million dollars unless they have something worth the expense. Something they could really bank on.

Forget watching football if you don't like football. Just surf for iPhone rumors like every other day.

Alright!!! I'm in the running :D

direzz
apple ad. just saw it. it was the one where the guy says im a big fan

zblaxberg

haha lmao..for all of you that don't know, the colts are winning 19-14 now

neven
Feb 4, 2007, 07:45 PM
The best part of all these posts are the number of Brits watching MANS football; that is, football with contact.

You mean football with craploads of protective gear... and without using your foot on the ball.

Mgkwho

!! "not fade away only on iTunes"!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

Sheryl Crow

OMG !!!11

LOL THAT WAS IT!!! 11

oh, wait.

-=|Mgkwho

RealMcCoy
I checked the other commercial by accessing them directly ... but brwosing through all of them ... even those who are not listed at the cbs ad site ... I couldn´t find anything from apple ... I guess they won´t be an apple ad then :( Hopefully I´m wrong :apple:

japanime
Question about the Coca-Cola ad that just aired (the one in which the guy puts his money into the vending machine, and then you see a fantasy-like world in the machine prepare his bottle).

Is that a brand-new ad, aired for the first time during the Super Bowl?

The reason I ask is because I've already seen that ad last night on TV here in Japan.

So, if it made its US debut in the US, it was actually on the air here first.

(Oh, and for those who are wondering, I'm watching the Super Bowl via my Slingbox--a great little device.)

Maxwell Smart
Just saw a revlon commercial with Sheryl Crow advertising her new song which is "only on iTunes" That's one of the only apple related things in any of these damn commercials :(

obeygiant
Feb 4, 2007, 07:46 PM
I SAW IT!!

they mentioned iTunes after that Revlon/sheyl crow commercial.

shucks

kildraik
Pretending?

What is all this crud about lip syncing and now pretending to play?

He *was* playing. Watch it again - he didn't get everything right, and you heard that, and it was perfectly in sync.

Did anyone actually watch, or just assuming based on previous performers preference to lip sync and just go through the motions?

Prince did a great job. Nothing was fake. All of the songs he sung by other artists sounded 500% better with his musical genius.
Kudos. :)

No where's that :apple: ad already?!?! I hope that sheryl crow advertisement wasn't the only Apple related advertisement!

Just saw the only mention of anything Apple so far, was in little letters at the end of a Revlon add telling people to go to iTunes for the song in the add.

Chaszmyr
Feb 4, 2007, 07:47 PM
If you click 'quarters' and then choose the 2nd quarter, which is half time, you'll find a coca-cola advert called time line.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said in my post.

HowEver
Feb 4, 2007, 07:47 PM
There isn't a single NFLer who could run for 90 minutes.

As for physical contact, clearly you've never seen a British football match.

manosaurus
Feb 4, 2007, 07:48 PM

Ha!

spikeyello
The best commercials were the first 3

The paper rock scissors one

The Doritos one

And

the Mouse Blockbuster

Eric Lewis
there was a get a mac ad here in canada on global like 4 minutes ago

with a replacment mac person then justin came in!

direzz
Feb 4, 2007, 07:49 PM
there was a get a mac ad here in canada on global like 4 minutes ago

with a replacment mac person then justin came in!

ya i saw that one too.

EricNau
Question about the Coca-Cola ad that just aired (the one in which the guy puts his money into the vending machine, and then you see a fantasy-like world in the machine prepare his bottle).

Is that a brand-new ad, aired for the first time during the Super Bowl?

The reason I ask is because I've already seen that ad last night on TV here in Japan.

So, if it made its US debut in the US, it was actually on the air here first.

(Oh, and for those who are wondering, I'm watching the Super Bowl via my Slingbox--a great little device.)
That ad has been around for years.

MacNut
Prince did a great job. Nothing was fake. All of the songs he sung by other artists sounded 500% better with his musical genius.
Kudos. :)

No where's that :apple: ad already?!?!I was never a fan of Prince. I wish the NFL would give us a real halftime show. I guarantee the die hard football fan could care less about Prince.

syklee26
no Apple commercial bwahahaha.

at least Prince was rockin at half time. he rules.