Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2002
New England
I think it's great to be able to play DVD's on your mac, but does anybody actually watch full-length movies on their computer? Why watch them on a mac when you can watch on your tv? I have an old dvd of "the hire" short films. It was nice to watch these on my emac because they are short. It would be great to find my favorite music videos on dvd. That would be cool to watch them on my emac.

Attachments

• thehire.jpg
    thehire.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 698

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I've watched quite a few. On planes/waiting for planes/on holiday. I've got an iBook. It's really great to be able to watch films where you can't normally.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
i watch full length movies in my room before i go to sleep often. they look good on my powerbook right by the bed. i also do it on roadtrips and such.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2002
New England
What about desktop users?

I can understand laptop users watching them, but what aboutthe desktop users out there?

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: What about desktop users?

Originally posted by foofan
I can understand laptop users watching them, but what aboutthe desktop users out there?
i bet they would look badass on a 17 inch widescreen iMac!

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
i think the majority of people who watch would be watching on laptops. but as far as desktop users... think college students or the like that maybe don't have tvs for space or money issues - why get a tv and a dvd player when your computer already works just fine?

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by baby duck monge
i think the majority of people who watch would be watching on laptops. but as far as desktop users... think college students or the like that maybe don't have tvs for space or money issues - why get a tv and a dvd player when your computer already works just fine?
damn it, you just made me realize--i signed up not to have a roommate in my dorm at college next fall. that ruins my chances of having a TV. i guess my only consolation is that i never watch it anyway.

bombensington

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2002
none of the girls in my apt have a tv except me...so it's stuck in the living room.

if i want to watch a movie but my stupid roommates are watching some boring show i just watch it on my fp imac. i'm a big fan of the tilting/moving screen - works really well when i want to lay in bed & watch.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
there are few things in life better than watching a dvd on a tibook, IMHO.

i spent last week on tour w/ my sketch group and we were stuck in rural ohio for a night. i had the pleasure of watching "Best in Show" on my TiBook in the backseat.

Actually, i use the Tibook's DVD player to run the video cues for our shows, so that's another great use...

anyway, i have four DVD players: 1 in my gateway, 1 in my G4, 1 in my Tibook, 1 in my PS2. i never had to buy a standalone.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I used to use my iBook DVD player exclusively. Probably half the time, I'd watch DVDs on my TV, but from my iBook, and half the time I'd watch them on my iBook (while in bed, or somthing similar). Unfortunately, now I am without DVD playing capabilities until the new 15" is released...

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Quite ironcially, I have watch a DVD only on my Power Mac, not my PowerBook (yet). It was pretty good-Gattaca. Looked good on the screen.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I don't have a DVD player in my den/computer room and sometimes I wanna watch a DVD while I work so I'll play one in my desktop. I have 2 monitors so one plays the DVD and I work in the other one. :)

Lethal

matthew24

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Netherlands
17INCH Studio Display

I've got a 17 Inch Studio Display and I prefer it over my TV because you are much closer to the screen (when you are alone) and because it is flat, this combination gives you e real cinema experience, just great.

nikfel

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2003
MALTA
I haved watched various DVDs on my Powerbook G4 connected to a dolby prologic stereo however they are definitely noy as clear as on a standalone dvd player. I have tried to cure this by connecting my Powerbook to my old 17inch apple monitor that has finally found a new life as my dvd monitor for my Powerbook....and I must say inspite the monitor being over 10 years old and paying about 5 times its equvalent today it has stood the test of time and the quality is much better than the lcd of my powerbook. Having said this I am in the process of purchasing a 17inch iMAC does anyone know if DVD quality is good on this LCD or better on a CRT screen and can someone explain why this occurs...I thought LCDs are supposed to be clearer and brighter than CRTs.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I have a pretty great monitoring setup on my Mac for all my audio work. Sometimes I watch DVDs on it just to get better sound.

Dan

ilben77

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2003
Does anybody know if there are good third party software dvd players for the mac (osx). I find the standard dvd player on my powerbook pretty basic. feature wise and also quality wise.

There are dozens of very good dvd players for pc's but what about mac?

any recommendations?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by Mblazened
When playing DVDs, Your computer monitor will offer more lines of resolution than that of your average TV
And? DVD is still (fairly) low resolution at only 720x480 (I think), playing back on a high-res screen makes no difference. IMO DVD's look worse on high-res LCD's as there aren't enough pixels from the DVD to fill each available pixel on your screen, there-by making the picture look pixelated. I never watch DVD's on my Mac/PC, DVD deck and TV all the way!

bwawn

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by ilben77
Does anybody know if there are good third party software dvd players for the mac (osx). I find the standard dvd player on my powerbook pretty basic. feature wise and also quality wise.

There are dozens of very good dvd players for pc's but what about mac?

any recommendations?

I've never really played around with DVDs with these programs, but MPlayer and VLC will both play DVDs. (At least, I know for sure VLC does.)

They're both listed at versiontracker.com.

hacurio1

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2002
Re: What about desktop users?

Originally posted by foofan
Me....I have a Sharp projector and I offten hook it to the VGA on my Powermac. With the help of a good sound system, It's like going to the movies, well not quite, but it's still is fun. So yes, I do watch full DVDs.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: Re: Re: What about desktop users?

Originally posted by ollywilson2003
Heheheheh It does.... But I only watch DVD's on it if my normal DVD player breakes or something.
you know, i'd sung the praises of that 17 inch iMac, but really, who could forget the 23 inch cinema display? how can you even start to describe how cool that is? it's a freaking high definition monitor! you can get a big subwoofer and some surround satellites, turn off the lights in your room so it's real dark, and get real close, and it's suddenly like being in the theater. haha, minus all those idiots that cheer and comment...

yeah, if only i had 2500$...

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
Re: Re: Re: Re: What about desktop users?

Originally posted by Shadowfax

yeah, if only i had 2500$...
you could sell your Ti Book ;)

I watch movies on my dad's QS tower...when all the T.Vs in house, and my laptop is being used, (New years).

ShadowFax, Where are you going to college?

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I havent watched a full DVD on my mac, but I have watched like a few episodes of shows on DVDs on my mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.