Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
So I looked at the back of my receiver and noticed it had Optical ins...and I remember my PowerMac has optical outs, so I went and bought an optical wire...

Plugged it into my Mac, plugged the other end in to the receiver...switched my output settings in sys prefs>sound>output to Digital out...

pushed the "signal select" button on the reciever to switch it from analog to digital, and nothin...no switch, no sound. In the receiver's manual it says it won't switch to digital unless it detects a digital signal. So I'm not sure if the receiver is not working right, or if I didn't set stuff up right on the Mac. The receiver hasn't had any issues other than this, so I'm doubting the receiver is messed up...so I'm stumped.

Thought I'd throw a post up on here to try and get suggestions before I give up and return the optical wire tomorrow.

Thanks in advance :)

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
fwiw -- i've got an optical cable tied to the s/pdif out from my g5 tower, and it worked w/o having to do anything else.

is the cable putting out red light?

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
The cable should always be putting out red light when the optical output is active.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
There's really no mention of either s/pdif or ADAT. On the back there is an in for Optical dts and coaxial in.

set-up-.jpg
[/IMG]

nose

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2007
Asheville, NC
Plugged it into my Mac, plugged the other end in to the receiver...switched my output settings in sys prefs>sound>output to Digital out...

on my Rev A iMac G5 OS 10.3.9 under Applications then Utilities there is a program call Audio Midi Setup. I think to use my external DAC I had to go into this program under Audio Devices then Audio Output to select Digital Out under Source. also under Source there is a Format selection and you may have to change it. I use 2ch-16 Bit but you may have to select Encoded Digital Audio depending use. this may be the answer but unsure. I would go in there to double check what the settings are reading.

I wanna move to British Columbia! I'm here in Asheville, NC. I think I have been here 11 1/2 too long..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.