PDA

View Full Version : Converting 3d files

ghall
Feb 6, 2007, 09:44 AM
How do I convert a .max file into a format that's usable in Carrara 5 Pro. Do I need a certain app? Thanks.

EDIT:
Lightwave and 3DS do work with Carrara, but I'm not sure about other formats. Any way to convert MAX to 3DS or lightwave?

LeviG
Feb 6, 2007, 11:15 AM
.max is from 3ds max then you will more than likely need 3ds max. 3ds max can convert it to 3ds and others internally. Its a windows only program and costs a few thousand to buy :rolleyes:

I dont know of any software that can just convert it though.

ghall
Feb 6, 2007, 11:49 AM
Its a windows only program and costs a few thousand to buy :rolleyes:

A few thousand!!?:eek:

If there is no free or reasonably priced conversion software, does anyone know where I can get a good model of the USS Enterprise in 3ds or lightwave format?

ghall
Feb 6, 2007, 12:02 PM
Okay, I just tried Blender. No luck.

ATD
Feb 6, 2007, 12:09 PM
A few thousand!!?:eek:

If there is no free or reasonably priced conversion software, does anyone know where I can get a good model of the USS Enterprise in 3ds or lightwave format?

From what I understand the .max only works with 3DStudio Max. If it were saved as a .3ds file you will have better luck. Check your software to see what formats it will accept.

This place has lots of models in many formats

http://www.turbosquid.com/

erickkoch
Feb 6, 2007, 12:10 PM
I'm in the same boat. I also tried finding a converter last year but there is nothing cheap or Mac compatible out there. Too bad, 'cause I found some awsome free .MAX models out there that I can't use.

ghall
Feb 6, 2007, 12:13 PM
Why didn't I think of this before? I just sent an email to the website where I got the model to see if I can get the model in another format.

Now that I think of it, I remember seeing a Windows program not to long ago that could view and convert almost any 3d model format. I don't remember what it's called.

ATD
Feb 6, 2007, 12:17 PM
Why didn't I think of this before? I just sent an email to the website where I got the model to see if I can get the model in another format.

Now that I think of it, I remember seeing a Windows program not to long ago that could view and convert almost any 3d model format. I don't remember what it's called.

This maybe?

http://www.okino.com/conv/conv.htm

Now if only they would make it Mac native.

ghall
Feb 6, 2007, 12:41 PM
This maybe?

http://www.okino.com/conv/conv.htm

Now if only they would make it Mac native.

And lower the price a little. I'm going to try the demo, see if I can get anything done with it.

I hope it works. For some reason though, I thought the software I had found was free. Oh well.

ATD
Feb 6, 2007, 12:44 PM
And lower the price a little. I'm going to try the demo, see if I can get anything done with it.

I hope it works. For some reason though, I thought the software I had found was free. Oh well.

I don't think it will convert a .max file unless you have Max. I have been looking for years for a good Mac based converter...

still looking

ghall
Feb 6, 2007, 03:23 PM
I don't think it will convert a .max file unless you have Max. I have been looking for years for a good Mac based converter...

still looking

I think you're right. Damn.

ATD
Feb 6, 2007, 04:26 PM
I think you're right. Damn.

Maybe you can download the trial version of 3DStudio Max and make that conversion.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=5972446

ghall
Feb 6, 2007, 05:09 PM
Maybe you can download the trial version of 3DStudio Max and make that conversion.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=5972446

Sweet, I will try that.

ATD
Feb 6, 2007, 05:15 PM
Sweet, I will try that.

Let us know if that works. ;)

ghall
Feb 6, 2007, 06:11 PM
Let us know if that works. ;)

Will do.

I filled out the form for a trial download and I haven't got an email yet. Hmmm.

Mac Kiwi
Feb 7, 2007, 03:47 AM
Ask the website where you got the model to send you a .obj {wavefront} format file.The .obj format is one of the most universal 3d ones out there.

ghall
Feb 7, 2007, 07:22 AM
Ask the website where you got the model to send you a .obj {wavefront} format file.The .obj format is one of the most universal 3d ones out there.

I'll try that. Thanks.

ghall
Feb 10, 2007, 07:41 PM
Okay, so I got a 3d model of the Enterprise that will open in Carrara. It's in .cob format, and Carrara is supposedly compatible, but when I import the model, the textures are all misplaced and I can't seem to fix them.

Any help whould be appreciated.

Mac Kiwi
Feb 11, 2007, 03:00 AM
That sounds like the models UV to me.

Different apps handle uv maps differently.I dont know how Carrara handles its uv natively sorry.You could try different projections say cylindrical and definitely planar if you have not tried that already.

Have a look in Carraras manual and see how it how handles imports.There is a good chance it may have a tip etc on something to do.

Are the maps turning out upside down?...If so go into your UV tweak area in your application and flip the UV on the vertical.Failing that try the other ideas.

faustfire
Feb 11, 2007, 04:27 AM
Try looking on turbosquid.com. They have a lot of free and really cheap models on there, the enterprise seems like a model that they might have a free version of.

ghall
Feb 11, 2007, 08:12 AM
Try looking on turbosquid.com. They have a lot of free and really cheap models on there, the enterprise seems like a model that they might have a free version of.

I did that. It's $140. I'd rather spend that money on Leopard. :D

That sounds like the models UV to me.

Different apps handle uv maps differently.I dont know how Carrara handles its uv natively sorry.You could try different projections say cylindrical and definitely planar if you have not tried that already.

Have a look in Carraras manual and see how it how handles imports.There is a good chance it may have a tip etc on something to do.

Are the maps turning out upside down?...If so go into your UV tweak area in your application and flip the UV on the vertical.Failing that try the other ideas.

The maps are not upsidedown, they are all twisted. I'll see how to change the projections. The texture system in Carrara is pretty complicated compared to other apps that I've used though, so I'll be lucky if I figure it out.

BTW, I imported the model into Blender to see if I could do anything with it in there, and the model itself got all screwed up. What causes that?

ATD
Feb 11, 2007, 04:43 PM
I did that. It's $140. I'd rather spend that money on Leopard. :D

The maps are not upsidedown, they are all twisted. I'll see how to change the projections. The texture system in Carrara is pretty complicated compared to other apps that I've used though, so I'll be lucky if I figure it out.

BTW, I imported the model into Blender to see if I could do anything with it in there, and the model itself got all screwed up. What causes that?

Translating models between programs can get messy. A lot depends on the program it came from and how it's translated. I buy models for Maya all the time and unless they were originally made in Maya I will need to fix something. I don't work in Carrara so I'm a bit short on answers, you may need to break out the manual to see how to untangle the UVs.

Here's a model collection that has lots a battleships just not the USS Enterprise, you are looking for the USS Enterprise instead of the Star Trek one, right? For $200 you get over 500 models. Still not sure if this translate to Carrara but it's worth a look.

http://www.meshfactory.com/main.htm

ghall
Feb 11, 2007, 04:56 PM
Oh, yeah. Should have been more clear. This is the USS Enterprise from Star Trek, not the naval ship.

I've tried everything I can think of. I even tried retexturing the model. Who'd have thought that this would be so friggin difficult.

Okay, sp here is my current status: I have two models of the Starship Enterprise, one is in .cob format, and the other is in .max format. The .max file cannot open in Carrara at all, and the .cob will open in Carrara, but the textures are all messed up.

I'm just gonna' go to a more specialized forum. Thanks for your help guys!

ATD
Feb 11, 2007, 05:17 PM
Oh, yeah. Should have been more clear. This is the USS Enterprise from Star Trek, not the naval ship.

I've tried everything I can think of. I even tried retexturing the model. Who'd have thought that this would be so friggin difficult.

Okay, sp here is my current status: I have two models of the Starship Enterprise, one is in .cob format, and the other is in .max format. The .max file cannot open in Carrara at all, and the .cob will open in Carrara, but the textures are all messed up.

I'm just gonna' go to a more specialized forum. Thanks for your help guys!

Here's one in the 3ds format and it's free

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/217116

Other than that a more specialized forum is where you might get better answers.

ghall
Feb 11, 2007, 05:20 PM
Here's one in the 3ds format and it's free

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/217116

Other than that a more specialized forum is where you might get better answers.

Thanks for the link. I'm actually talking about the classic USS Enterprise, but still, pretty nice find. I'll check it out, maybe download it.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

erickkoch
Feb 12, 2007, 12:11 AM
There is a site devoted to Star Trek 3D models.

www.trekmeshes.ch

All are free.

ghall
Feb 12, 2007, 09:07 AM
There is a site devoted to Star Trek 3D models.

www.trekmeshes.ch

All are free.

Which is where I found the original MAX model.

Great site though. I have got a few models off it that work great.

JackAxe
Feb 12, 2007, 07:13 PM
I went through hoops trying to find an app that worked on the Mac several years back and ended up just buying "Deep Explortation" for my PC. :(

http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/

I modeled a lo-poly (3k tri count) Enterprise C for one of my clients 2 years ago. :)

<]=)

Coheebuzz
Feb 13, 2007, 06:49 AM
Have you tried exporting from 3DS Max in other formats except .obj as well?

.dfx or .dwg may work but from my experience texture mapping is the first thing to get messed up when exporting to other 3D software. You are lucky enough if the mesh came out good enough after importing. Now the best solution for your problem is to redo the textures in Carrara using the image maps that came with the model, it shouldn't be too hard.

ghall
Feb 15, 2007, 04:05 PM
Hello again! Finally had some time to play around with PolyTrans (a program an earlier poster reccomended) and the textures and everything came out fine, except for the fact that the mesh is now all screwed up, because of the demo erasing every 5th polygon. Fix one problem, a new one presents itself. Oh the pain...

Even if I had the $400 for this freaking program, there's no way I'd dish it out just to convert a model of the starship Enterprise.

Anyone happen to have PolyTrans or some other 3d conversion program, and could convert this thing for me?

PS: I forgot to mention that I have found a version of the Enterprise in .Cob format, which Carrara supports, though not very well. That's the version I put through PolyTrans. It came out perfect in PolyTrans, but as I said, the demo version erases every 5th polygon when exporting.

Mac Kiwi
Feb 15, 2007, 04:48 PM
I wonder if you could open the original .max file under .3ds in an other application? {am not Max savy if this is a dumb idea}

Can you screenshot us a pic of the uv? it might help us work out the problem.

ghall
Feb 15, 2007, 05:11 PM
I wonder if you could open the original .max file under .3ds in an other application? {am not Max savy if this is a dumb idea}

Can you screenshot us a pic of the uv? it might help us work out the problem.

Believe me, I've tried that trick.

Anyway, here's a rendered image of the COB file converted in the demo version PolyTrans ot 3DS, and imported into Carrara (is this what you meant for the screenshot?)

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311/ghall89/HoleyEnterprise.jpg

As you can see, the mesh is a mess after the demo of PolyTrans removed every 5th polygon, but the textures are perfect. (Damn trial software!)

ATD
Feb 15, 2007, 06:44 PM
Have you tried putting the good textures from the conversion on to the other good model?

BTW, I would convert it for you if I had PolyTrans, I'm not interesting in buying a PC just to run a few apps. I might look into it down the road when I switch to a Intel Mac.

ghall
Feb 15, 2007, 06:47 PM
Have you tried putting the good textures from the conversion on to the other good model?

Yep, the effects were disaterous.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311/ghall89/disasterous.jpg

ghall
Feb 15, 2007, 06:49 PM
Whoops posted twice. :)

ATD
Feb 15, 2007, 07:00 PM
Your UVs are out of alinement, that's all. It's very common to spend time in 3D apps tweaking UVs to fit. I'm not sure how it's setup in Carrara but Maya and many other 3D apps have a UV editors designed to fix that stuff.

ghall
Feb 15, 2007, 07:20 PM
Your UVs are out of alinement, that's all. It's very common to spend time in 3D apps tweaking UVs to fit. I'm not sure how it's setup in Carrara but Maya and many other 3D apps have a UV editors designed to fix that stuff.

Voila....sort of. Now I have to figure out why the model is transparent.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311/ghall89/voila.jpg

ATD
Feb 15, 2007, 07:24 PM
Voila....sort of. Now I have to figure out why the model is transparent.

Look at your material setup for the ship. I'll bet it's setup to be slightly transparent.

ghall
Feb 15, 2007, 07:25 PM
Look at your material setup for the ship. I'll bet it's setup to be slightly transparent.

That was the first thing I checked, but I'll check again.

Okay, it says there is no transparency, but yet it's transparent. Arrgh!

ATD
Feb 15, 2007, 07:57 PM
That was the first thing I checked, but I'll check again.

Okay, it says there is no transparency, but yet it's transparent. Arrgh!

Does the material have an Alpha channel?

ghall
Feb 15, 2007, 08:00 PM
Does the material have an Alpha channel?

Shweet! Thanks, it seems to be working great!

ATD
Feb 16, 2007, 01:56 AM
Shweet! Thanks, it seems to be working great!

Can I assume that the try-out version of Max converted your model to get it into PolyTrans?

Mac Kiwi
Feb 16, 2007, 03:00 AM
Glad your getting somewhere now :)

I meant a screenshot of your UV editor,makes it easier you just load up your maps and see where the UV {uv polygons} dont match up.

ghall
Feb 16, 2007, 07:45 AM
Can I assume that the try-out version of Max converted your model to get it into PolyTrans?

No, I found a COB format version which Carrara supports, albiet with screwed up textures.

Here's Carrara's UV Map editor. Despite what the scroll bar implies, that's all the options there are. These are the UV settings for the engineering hull.
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311/ghall89/Picture2.jpg

Here's the models current condition.
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311/ghall89/Picture1-3.jpg

I'm having trouble mapping the nacelles, and the engineering section. The saucer, the neck, and the pylons are mapped perfectly though.

PS: after close examination of the model imported directly into Carrara, it seems to missing some detail around the sensor dish that appears in PolyTrans, and thus, the 3DS conversion, despite both coming from the exact same file.

PPS: I just saw the button that said UV Editor. Silly me. Here it is:
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311/ghall89/Picture1-5.jpg

ghall
Feb 16, 2007, 10:00 AM
Well, with a little help with from the friendly people at Scifi-Meshes.com, I found a program called Deep Exploration. Worked like a charm, despite the fact that some of the textures didn't load, but the UV settings are intact so no problem there.