PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPhone on June 15th?

MacRumors
Feb 6, 2007, 05:09 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Looprumors posts (http://www.looprumors.com/article.php?exclusive-official-iphone-release-date,776881775) a letter from Apple (http://www.looprumors.com/iPhoneFCC.php) to the FCC asking for confidentiality regarding the FCC documents for the iPhone until June 15, 2007.

The documents in question include External Photos, Internal Setup, Test Setup Photos and User Manual.

The rumor site speculates that the June 15th date could be the target launch of the iPhone, but, certainly, may simply be an educated guess.

When Apple first announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/09/apple-announces-the-iphone/) the iPhone, they claimed a June shipping date. Recent rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/30/iphone-coming-earlier-than-june/) have suggested that this may have been a conservative estimate, and that the iPhone may come as early as April.

evilgEEk
Feb 6, 2007, 05:11 PM
It's a Friday, although days of the week don't necessarily matter as much as they used to.

It's possible.

Four more months to get out of my Verizon contract. ;)

MattyMac
Feb 6, 2007, 05:12 PM
As long as they are making the :apple: iPhone even better during this waiting period I suppose I can be patient.

Although I would like to have one tomorrow.

miketcool
Feb 6, 2007, 05:13 PM
That is a WWDC day, makes sense to me.

zwida
Feb 6, 2007, 05:15 PM
Right, but June 15 is surely just their most conservative estimate of a launch date: iPhone on or before 15 June.

Rocketman
Feb 6, 2007, 05:19 PM
Does the FCC even have the authority to honor such a request? I can see them doing it out of courtesy, but if anyone questions it, and there are plenty of Apple spoilers, they might be compelled to release the stuff anyway sadly.

Rocketman

Keeping in mind the iPhone demoed was itself one of the fakes and not the real ATN :)

Edit: The Apple letter CITES the authority!

twoodcc
Feb 6, 2007, 05:20 PM
i'm hoping for April....but at least in June it could be a nice birthday present for me :)

EagerDragon
Feb 6, 2007, 05:24 PM
If the request was made in October, was the iPhone already in FCC hands?
If so, why has it taken this long?
:cool:

clevin
Feb 6, 2007, 05:26 PM
when will the dispute of the name of iPhone be settled?

EagerDragon
Feb 6, 2007, 05:27 PM
Does the FCC even have the authority to honor such a request? I can see them doing it out of courtesy, but if anyone questions it, and there are plenty of Apple spoilers, they might be compelled to release the stuff anyway sadly.

Rocketman

Keeping in mind the iPhone demoed was itself one of the fakes and not the real ATN :)

So you do not think what was shown was the ultimate format (look)? I understand that the software was not complete, but I assume that the device form factor and looks was final at that time of the presentation. What makes you think otherwise?

Peace
Feb 6, 2007, 05:29 PM
Well this is kind of a drag.It looks like the iPhone won't be out till WWDC which means Leopard probably won't be out till June also since the iPhone depends a lot on Leopard technology.

Still hoping for April though.

biturbomunkie
Feb 6, 2007, 05:32 PM
i was froogling invisio q7 and noticed that negri electronics claims that the iphone will be in stock on june 7th.

the thing is that i've never heard of negri... ...

MongoTheGeek
Feb 6, 2007, 05:32 PM
The way Apple works that is the last possible ship date. They have had embargo's out further than expected in the past. Still look for it in April.

If they were looking for confidentiality in October, then the 3 month review might have just ended...

As for can they, yes, there are laws obliging the government to respect trade secrets. no bureaucrat will risk his job.

darwen
Feb 6, 2007, 05:37 PM

Edit: The Apple letter CITES the authority!

It seems reasonable. I didnt know the FCC was really allowed to leak the info anyway, I thought that breached some sort of insider information. I dont see why the FCC would not honor this request, seems like an obvious question for Apple to ask.

"Can you please not release our product before we do...? Thanks."

Rocketman
Feb 6, 2007, 05:39 PM
So you do not think what was shown was the ultimate format (look)? I understand that the software was not complete, but I assume that the device form factor and looks was final at that time of the presentation. What makes you think otherwise?

I do believe I can prove it to your satisfaction.

It did not have an iSight on the front of it yet.

Rocketman

Never forget I am imperfect. Only 70% of my predictions/observations are accurate.

Chaszmyr
Feb 6, 2007, 05:41 PM
It's been less than a month since the iPhone was announced, and I'm already tired of waiting. I won't survive until June! I think there's still a very real chance that the iPhone will be announced by the end of April, but that's probably optimism talking.

Stella
Feb 6, 2007, 05:43 PM
All devices that are submitted to FCC becomes public - why should Apple be asked to be treated any differently?

Anyway, Apple seem to be on time with the iPhone.

darwen
Feb 6, 2007, 05:43 PM
Why is everyone flipping out about the date...? That is a honest question. Apple will release the phone on or around the 15th. This ""request" they are making means nothing more than that. They may not release the phone till the 19th, maybe they are releasing details on the 15th. You really cant speculate anything from this.

Who cares!? It will be out sometime around the 15th (which just happens to be the middle of the month :eek: :eek: ). There is no hidden message. They told us June. IT WILL BE JUNE.

EDIT:

It's been less than a month since the iPhone was announced, and I'm already tired of waiting. I won't survive until June! I think there's still a very real chance that the iPhone will be announced by the end of April, but that's probably optimism talking.

WHY!?!?! They said June. What reason do they have for releasing it early. It will be June.

wakerider017
Feb 6, 2007, 05:45 PM
This probably means June 15th or earlier.

wakerider017
Feb 6, 2007, 05:46 PM
Why is everyone flipping out about the date...? That is a honest question. Apple will release the phone on or around the 15th. This ""request" they are making means nothing more than that. They may not release the phone till the 19th, maybe they are releasing details on the 15th. You really cant speculate anything from this.

Who cares!? It will be out sometime around the 15th (which just happens to be the middle of the month :eek: :eek: ). There is no hidden message. They told us June. IT WILL BE JUNE.

Keep in mind you are on a RUMOR site.

The whole point of this site is to report on RUMORS.

If you think these kind of things are a wast of time and stupid then maybe you should check out some Mac Tech forums :rolleyes:

Doctor Q
Feb 6, 2007, 05:48 PM
Upside: If it comes out earlier than expected, that will help Apple avoid having any competition try to beat them to market based on knowledge of the iPhone's features. Nobody will have a direct iPhone competitor, but Apple wouldn't want rival developers or marketers to have any more lead time than necessary before they start shipping and doing fullscale advertising.

Downside: If it comes out earlier than expected, I might not have saved up enough money for one. I save all of the tips I collect riding my bike on my newspaper route, but unless the cell service is a very affordable plan, I might have to hold off on my purchase.

And there's always the debate about whether to buy the first version of a product.

Eraserhead
Feb 6, 2007, 05:48 PM
It's a Friday, although days of the week don't necessarily matter as much as they used to.

It's possible.

Four more months to get out of my Verizon contract. ;)

Hmmm, it is the *last* day of WWDC, I'd say it'd be released on the first day, but it might over hype the event so I dunno.

Rocketman
Feb 6, 2007, 05:52 PM
I am thinking the October letter was sent concurerent with the original application and if a negative reply was received, they could simply withdraw the application. But since Apple carefully cited Federal regulation on its confidentiality requests, and had a carefully developed "public document set" sufficient to meet those regs, and likely got a compliant reply, they were good to go.

Maybe Steve was hoping to "get lucky" and have all the testing done by January Macworld. He said it takes three months. I guess government Christmas vacations wrecked Macworld! Or it takes China *4-6* months to make 10,000,000 iPhones!

I bet Al Gore and Eric Schmidt already have their iPhones. ON campus use only :)

Rocketman

FreeState
Feb 6, 2007, 06:03 PM
All this means is that Apple has some device they asked the FCC not to release info on until the 15th of June. We do not know what the device is (an educated guess would be the iPhone that was demoed but it could be a different phone or even anything that has to go through the FCC).

As for the date - it does not mean anything. Apple is a very conservative company - they take risks but in the end, they are conservative. So that date, as I see it, is a date they picked as the first possible date they would want the information released. That date factors in things like manufacturing/production/programing pitfalls etc. That is the date they said that if everything goes according to plan, and the plan includes all possible set backs, the information would be safe to release into the public.

ChrisH3677
Feb 6, 2007, 06:03 PM
Does Apple still use a colored logo on any of it's corporate letterhead? I thought the grey Apple logo was the standard.

Sean7512
Feb 6, 2007, 06:05 PM
Hmmm, I've been wondering about this for a while. How could Steve have used the iPhone to make a call if it was not passed through the FCC? Is using a non-approved FCC phone even legal? I could see that it would be legal for internal testing, but Steve was clearly not testing the phone at MacWorld, hmmm

I bet that the iPhone has passed FCC testing, and now Apple is just fixing software bugs and finishing the non-wireless technology. What do you guys think?

Peace
Feb 6, 2007, 06:07 PM
Hmmm, I've been wondering about this for a while. How could Steve have used the iPhone to make a call if it was not passed through the FCC? Is using a non-approved FCC phone even legal? I could see that it would be legal for internal testing, but Steve was clearly not testing the phone at MacWorld, hmmm

I bet that the iPhone has passed FCC testing, and now Apple is just fixing software bugs and finishing the non-wireless technology. What do you guys think?

I think they have finished the physical iPhone and are waiting for Leopard to be completed.

FreeState
Feb 6, 2007, 06:07 PM
Does Apple still use a colored logo on any of it's corporate letterhead? I thought the grey Apple logo was the standard.

Who knows. Apple may use different letterhead for different departments and different addressees. (The orange logo could be the iPod departments letterhead for internal discussions or even for FCC/Government communication).

EagerDragon
Feb 6, 2007, 06:09 PM
I do believe I can prove it to your satisfaction.

It did not have an iSight on the front of it yet.

Rocketman

Never forget I am imperfect. Only 70% of my predictions/observations are accurate.

If Apple is going after Video phone (Aka Video iChats) capabilites, move over George Jetson, which would be really cool, I would have to agree with you.
Yes I was wondering why they only had a camera in the back like simple phones.

FreeState
Feb 6, 2007, 06:09 PM

The FCC rules say it has to be approved to be sold. It has not been sold to anyone yet. The FCC knows companies need to test their products and demo them before they are approved.

EagerDragon
Feb 6, 2007, 06:19 PM
Thaks Rocketman for your reply.

Now here is one for you....
We are waiting on SantaRosa architecture machines, Leopard, iWorks, iLife, iPhone and many more products, It would seem that if most of them release in the June to July timeframe (later for video iPod); Apple will not be able to keep up the hype machine from month to month and the majority of the press will be lumped into a single period.
Maybe im missing something but the above situation does not seem to work as well for apple as releasing something UBER every 3 to 4 months.
Maybe the products are just not ready to release befire June.

Morris
Feb 6, 2007, 06:20 PM
Well this is kind of a drag.It looks like the iPhone won't be out till WWDC which means Leopard probably won't be out till June also since the iPhone depends a lot on Leopard technology.

I don't think they are related. Although the iPhone is said to run a version of Leopard, if it is it has to be an extremely simplified version of Leopard. Apple could have easily finished the iPhone edition of Leopard while the full version (for a whole range of hardware platforms instead of just one) is not ready yet.

It won't be a syncing issue either. Apple would be really foolish releasing a phone that is not compatible with at least Tiger, Leopard, XP and Vista (possibly after updates for all but Leopard).

Rocketman
Feb 6, 2007, 06:29 PM
Assuming the iPhone hardware and FCC approvals are going on or ahead of schedule, and assuming Leopard is at least "good enough soon enough", what else could delay it?

Apple/Steve stated Cingular (now AT&T) had to do significant software upgrades to their network. They have a vast network. That could take some time. If they have added new features (random voicemail announced, EDGE 2.0 not announced, internetwork operation not announced, wimax not announced, such deployments could take considerable time. Perhaps 6-12 months PAST a June deployment start (announce) date.

The stated initial deployment of 10,000,000 units is till the END of 2008.

A lot of very cool stuff is going to happen between now and then on deployed hardware being upgradeable as access warrants to ever improving network deployments. iPhone (ATN:) ) is SIMPLE to deploy as compared to network capabilities.

This is a situation where Apple is creating demand to justify supply. Very cool.

Rocketman

EagerDragon
Feb 6, 2007, 06:30 PM

Maybe the color of the logo and the image itself has an encoded message/serial to see who leaked the memo. LOL.

Rocketman
Feb 6, 2007, 06:32 PM
Thaks Rocketman for your reply.

Now here is one for you....
We are waiting on SantaRosa architecture machines, Leopard, iWorks, iLife, iPhone and many more products, It would seem that if most of them release in the June to July timeframe (later for video iPod); Apple will not be able to keep up the hype machine from month to month and the majority of the press will be lumped into a single period.
Maybe im missing something but the above situation does not seem to work as well for apple as releasing something UBER every 3 to 4 months.
Maybe the products are just not ready to release befire June.

Summertime is slow for media coverage.

BUT summer is when people are out and about buying stuff.

Have faith.

Apple does not use the hype machine all that much. It uses the web and physical retail.

Rocketman

Peace!

puckhead193
Feb 6, 2007, 06:32 PM
i would love it tomorrow but i can wait, I hope they make a few improvements like 3g and AIM but does that have any effect on the FCC? I can wait, i wouldn't mind it june as my b-day is early July so i guess i know my b-day present

ChrisH3677
Feb 6, 2007, 06:35 PM
Why a fake?

- Orange, not grey Apple logo
- Letter starts higher on the page than the logo
- Right margin is too near the edge of the page (though that could be image cropping)
- Address extends beyond the footer horizontal line
- The signature spills over into the footer
- Why repeat the address in the signature?
- Also WHY would it be addressed "To Whom it May Concern"??? Gimme a break!! Apple doesn't know who they're dealing with at the FCC???

If this is real, Steve Jobs will be having kittens on its appalling layout.

szark
Feb 6, 2007, 06:36 PM
I find it interesting that the requested date is the ending date of WWDC. Not that it necessarily means anything, but it could mean they will be discussing iPhone technologies at WWDC.

It could also just be a coincidence, as the 15th is the middle of the month.

scrambledwonder
Feb 6, 2007, 06:59 PM
I want an iPhone now too. Or maybe a flip iPhone with two touch screens. . .

thejadedmonkey
Feb 6, 2007, 07:12 PM
What does ATN mean? I see peeps using it... and i'm lost.

Zillatron
Feb 6, 2007, 07:21 PM
June 15th is a Friday - I doubt very much Apple will release their next 'revolutionary' product on a Friday.

Even the 'new' shuffles come out on a USA Tuesday!

Z

dante@sisna.com
Feb 6, 2007, 07:22 PM
I bought a new Blackberry Pearl after Apple introduced the iPhone (had been waiting for it) and I realized I could not get one until summer.

The Pearl is okay, but really, it sucks bad when you consider the possibilities that Phones could rise to achieve.

The user interface is clunky, the internet browsing is basically useless except for the weather.

Email works great. Everything else is useless, basically -- all for $200 bucks with a 2 year contract and a voice and data package that is costing me $90 bucks a month.

I would Gladly spend $600 with a similar data package for a phone with some teeth -- at least a usable browser, larger screen, etc.

Bring on the iPhone.

FreeState
Feb 6, 2007, 07:33 PM
What does ATN mean? I see peeps using it... and i'm lost.

Attention is what I always thought... not sure what its being used as above...

EDIT: see "An augmented transition network (ATN) is a type of graph theoretic structure used in the operational definition of formal languages, used especially in parsing relatively complex natural languages, and having wide application in artificial intelligence."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmented_transition_network

PBGPowerbook
Feb 6, 2007, 07:50 PM
i believe ATN is a Rocketman et al abbreviation for 'Apple Tablet Nano' that is, a better/more descriptive name for this device. :)

Stella
Feb 6, 2007, 08:21 PM
No, Rumour + sites others do that for them ( Apple )!

Apple does not use the hype machine all that much. It uses the web and physical retail.

Rocketman

Peace!

Chundles
Feb 6, 2007, 08:27 PM
i believe ATN is a Rocketman et al abbreviation for 'Apple Tablet Nano' that is, a better/more descriptive name for this device. :)

et al? Pretty sure it's just Rocketman using it. I'm yet to see anybody else use his made-up term.

Meh, whatever.

justflie
Feb 6, 2007, 08:32 PM
et al? Pretty sure it's just Rocketman using it. I'm yet to see anybody else use his made-up term.

Meh, whatever.

lol, I think I might have used it once or twice. :D

Lepton
Feb 6, 2007, 09:29 PM
Heh! All the WWDC attendees are getting a copy of Leopard and an iPhone! Hee hee! :p

shadowfax
Feb 6, 2007, 10:37 PM
I want an iPhone now too. Or maybe a flip iPhone with two touch screens. . .

haha, that's a scary thought. An iPhone that plays 2 movies at once, with 2 headphone jacks, each tied to one of the screens... so you and your SO can sit together and watch 2 different things... separate, but together! That sounds like something MS would think was a cool idea ;)

but seriously, I want an iPhone with a multi-think interface. That way, my phone could truly be as confused as me...

shadowfax
Feb 6, 2007, 10:39 PM
I find it interesting that the requested date is the ending date of WWDC. Not that it necessarily means anything, but it could mean they will be discussing iPhone technologies at WWDC.
heh, why would they discuss the iPhone tech at WWDC? for one, they probably want to keep it under wraps. But mostly, why would any developers outside apple care? they can't develop for it.... ;)

bogg
Feb 7, 2007, 06:59 AM
Why a fake?

- Orange, not grey Apple logo
- Letter starts higher on the page than the logo
- Right margin is too near the edge of the page (though that could be image cropping)
- Address extends beyond the footer horizontal line
- The signature spills over into the footer
- Why repeat the address in the signature?
- Also WHY would it be addressed "To Whom it May Concern"??? Gimme a break!! Apple doesn't know who they're dealing with at the FCC???

If this is real, Steve Jobs will be having kittens on its appalling layout.

Apple does use coloured logos on their letters.

I got one, not even a year ago, with a pure red Apple logo.
So they still use the coloured logos

Pismo500
Feb 7, 2007, 12:54 PM
I heard that Cingular did not get working prototypes 'till just a few weeks before it was announced an MacWorld San Francisco (source KNX-1070 radio Los Angeles)... Cingular, not Apple or the FCC, appears to be the hold up...

iPodAddict
Feb 7, 2007, 01:25 PM
Calm down, guys. This letter is real, but it's for the new AirPort Extreme base-station. If you look at the FCC report (https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=938977&fcc_id='BCGA1143') you can see that the confidentiality letter is real and that this is simply for "an 802.11b/g /n Access Point"

Sorry to burst your bubbles

Peace
Feb 7, 2007, 02:24 PM
Heh! All the WWDC attendees are getting a copy of Leopard and an iPhone! Hee hee! :p

Developers get Leopard anyway.

Peace
Feb 8, 2007, 03:15 PM
Engadget has discovered through phonescoop that this letter is a hoax

From Engadget :

Sorry everybody, we hate to be the bearers of bad news for you iPhone obsessives, but that iPhone FCC letter dating it at June 15th? It was a hoax. Our eagle-eyed friends over at Phone Scoop noted that the confidentiality agreement document is, in actuality, photoshopped. We looked into the original filing for that new Airport Extreme base station (FCC BCGA1143), which expired January 15th (days after the Airport device was announced), and is so far as we can tell they're wholly identical (save a bit of photo manipulation). That confidentiality agreement outlines a device for use on all the right frequencies for an 802.11a/b/g/n device (5180 - 5240MHz, 5190 - 5230MHz, 5745 - 5825MHz, 5755 - 5795MHz, 2412 - 2462MHz, 2422 - 2452MHz), too, so there's not a whole lot of doubt left. So, to everyone who thought they'd be getting their iPhone this June: sorry, we're all still in the dark on when Apple's going to launch. Click on for a bigger shots of the hoax FCC doc.

noservice2001
Feb 8, 2007, 09:37 PM
UPDATE!

hoax

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/08/iphone-june-15-date-a-hoax-game-on/