PDA

View Full Version : New computer, will iPod work?

wizwaz3
Feb 9, 2007, 10:18 AM
I just bought a new iMac and am migrating from a Windows PC and I was wondering, will I need to uninstall my iPod so it can be used on my new Mac? If so, how do I do it? Thanx in advance! :-)
:apple:

Jasonbot
Feb 9, 2007, 10:20 AM
I just bought a new iMac and am migrating from a Windows PC and I was wondering, will I need to uninstall my iPod so it can be used on my new Mac? If so, how do I do it? Thanx in advance! :-)
:apple:

You will have to reformat it for mac OS X if you would like to be able to install software updates, if not then it will work 99.98%

wizwaz3
Feb 9, 2007, 10:26 AM
You will have to reformat it for mac OS X if you would like to be able to install software updates, if not then it will work 99.98%

Yeah, that's fine, but I don't need to deauthorize my old PC or anything?

Teh Don Ditty
Feb 9, 2007, 10:38 AM
Yeah, that's fine, but I don't need to deauthorize my old PC or anything?

Only if you purchased music/movies from iTunes. If I'm not mistaken, iTunes lets you authorize up to 5 computers. It's up to you.

wizwaz3
Feb 9, 2007, 10:42 AM
Only if you purchased music/movies from iTunes. If I'm not mistaken, iTunes lets you authorize up to 5 computers. It's up to you.

Ok, thanks! I think I have 1 computer left. lol :p

zephead
Feb 9, 2007, 10:44 AM
Please, DON'T forget to deauthorize your PC before you get rid of/reformat it. I've made the mistake of not deauthorizing a few times. There were a few times where I forgot to deauthorize before reformatting it, and the time I forgot to deauthorize before reformatting it for the last time and giving it to my cousin. I fixed it with "Deauthorize all" last year, but you can only do that once a year.

Teh Don Ditty
Feb 9, 2007, 10:46 AM
Good point. I forgot to mention that. Anyways, good luck with your iMac!

mrgreen4242
Feb 9, 2007, 10:59 AM
Please, DON'T forget to deauthorize your PC before you get rid of/reformat it. I've made the mistake of not deauthorizing a few times. There were a few times where I forgot to deauthorize before reformatting it, and the time I forgot to deauthorize before reformatting it for the last time and giving it to my cousin. I fixed it with "Deauthorize all" last year, but you can only do that once a year.

I've seen people mention the Deauthorzie All only working once a year, but I am SURE I've done it more frequently than that... is this a relatively new rule?

gauchogolfer
Feb 9, 2007, 11:08 AM
I've seen people mention the Deauthorzie All only working once a year, but I am SURE I've done it more frequently than that... is this a relatively new rule?

I think it's just up to Apple, kind of like them letting you re-download music that you lose and don't back up, even though the official policy is different.

mrgreen4242
Feb 9, 2007, 11:14 AM
I think it's just up to Apple, kind of like them letting you re-download music that you lose and don't back up, even though the official policy is different.

I'm pretty sure I didn't even need to call Apple. I just clicked on the Deauthorize All machines option in iTunes and it did it. Maybe I'm crazy though!