1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

New computer, will iPod work?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by wizwaz3, Feb 9, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

I just bought a new iMac and am migrating from a Windows PC and I was wondering, will I need to uninstall my iPod so it can be used on my new Mac? If so, how do I do it? Thanx in advance! :)
    :apple:

2. macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

You will have to reformat it for mac OS X if you would like to be able to install software updates, if not then it will work 99.98%

3. macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

Yeah, that's fine, but I don't need to deauthorize my old PC or anything?

4. macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Only if you purchased music/movies from iTunes. If I'm not mistaken, iTunes lets you authorize up to 5 computers. It's up to you.

5. macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

Ok, thanks! I think I have 1 computer left. lol :p

6. macrumors 68000

zephead

Please, DON'T forget to deauthorize your PC before you get rid of/reformat it. I've made the mistake of not deauthorizing a few times. There were a few times where I forgot to deauthorize before reformatting it, and the time I forgot to deauthorize before reformatting it for the last time and giving it to my cousin. I fixed it with "Deauthorize all" last year, but you can only do that once a year.

7. macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Good point. I forgot to mention that. Anyways, good luck with your iMac!

8. macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I've seen people mention the Deauthorzie All only working once a year, but I am SURE I've done it more frequently than that... is this a relatively new rule?

9. macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I think it's just up to Apple, kind of like them letting you re-download music that you lose and don't back up, even though the official policy is different.

10. macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm pretty sure I didn't even need to call Apple. I just clicked on the Deauthorize All machines option in iTunes and it did it. Maybe I'm crazy though!