Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizwaz3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Northern Arizona
I just bought a new iMac and am migrating from a Windows PC and I was wondering, will I need to uninstall my iPod so it can be used on my new Mac? If so, how do I do it? Thanx in advance! :)
:apple:

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
wizwaz3 said:
I just bought a new iMac and am migrating from a Windows PC and I was wondering, will I need to uninstall my iPod so it can be used on my new Mac? If so, how do I do it? Thanx in advance! :)
:apple:

You will have to reformat it for mac OS X if you would like to be able to install software updates, if not then it will work 99.98%

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
Please, DON'T forget to deauthorize your PC before you get rid of/reformat it. I've made the mistake of not deauthorizing a few times. There were a few times where I forgot to deauthorize before reformatting it, and the time I forgot to deauthorize before reformatting it for the last time and giving it to my cousin. I fixed it with "Deauthorize all" last year, but you can only do that once a year.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Please, DON'T forget to deauthorize your PC before you get rid of/reformat it. I've made the mistake of not deauthorizing a few times. There were a few times where I forgot to deauthorize before reformatting it, and the time I forgot to deauthorize before reformatting it for the last time and giving it to my cousin. I fixed it with "Deauthorize all" last year, but you can only do that once a year.

I've seen people mention the Deauthorzie All only working once a year, but I am SURE I've done it more frequently than that... is this a relatively new rule?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I've seen people mention the Deauthorzie All only working once a year, but I am SURE I've done it more frequently than that... is this a relatively new rule?

I think it's just up to Apple, kind of like them letting you re-download music that you lose and don't back up, even though the official policy is different.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I think it's just up to Apple, kind of like them letting you re-download music that you lose and don't back up, even though the official policy is different.

I'm pretty sure I didn't even need to call Apple. I just clicked on the Deauthorize All machines option in iTunes and it did it. Maybe I'm crazy though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.