PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Games in the Works... from 3rd Party Developers

MacRumors
Feb 9, 2007, 01:48 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Businessweek discusses (http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2007/tc20070209_857229.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_technology) Apple's entry into the "casual game" market with the iPod games, first introduced in September 2006 (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/09/12/itunes-7-introduced/).

Casual games are described as "play-it-for-15-minutes-and-forget-about-it games" that are frequently found on mobile phones or other handheld devices.

Businessweek has heard that Apple is in talks with Electronic Arts regarding games for the iPhone:

Mitch Lasky, senior vice-president of EA Mobile, says his company is discussing plans for games on the phone. "We have been talking to Apple about games on (the iPhone)," Lasky says. "We see a lot of the technology that we've utilized on the iPod side being incorporated into the iPhone."

This provides further evidence that Apple will allow 3rd party developers to release applications for the iPhone, but in a supervised manner, much like the iPod games.

Apple introduced the iPhone at Macworld San Francisco. The iPhone is expected to be released in June 2007.

Atlasland
Feb 9, 2007, 01:51 PM
I don't think these games will ever be value for money.

GeorgeTheMonkey
Feb 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
License some Nintendo DS games (tweaked a bit for multi-touch, of course), and Apple may have something though.

siurpeeman
Feb 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
this is good news. maybe apple will allow 3rd party non-game software to be made as well.

BoyBach
Feb 9, 2007, 01:59 PM
Even though there was no mention of it at the Keynote or on the Apple site, surely games, and other 3rd party apps, on the iPhone is a given?

trevorlsciact
Feb 9, 2007, 02:01 PM
Multi touch should be good for games, no? I don't play games so I can't be sure--but I would think there are some interesting opportunities there.

Telp
Feb 9, 2007, 02:06 PM
I think Jobs said that their would be third party apps for the iphone, but you would have to buy them through Apple and it was just going to be really tight.

zombitronic
Feb 9, 2007, 02:11 PM
Imagine, guiding Pac-Man along with your finger instead of mashing unresponsive keypads around corners...ah, the bliss.

zelman
Feb 9, 2007, 02:15 PM
Imagine, guiding Pac-Man along with your finger instead of mashing unresponsive keypads around corners...ah, the bliss.

I've had palm versions of pacman that could use hardware buttons or stylus, and I always found hardware buttons to be easier.

dongmin
Feb 9, 2007, 02:22 PM

Give me a joystick with those little bulbs on top. These classic games just aren't the same with these new controls...

I'm not sure the multi-touch is that well suited for arcade-style games. MYST (adventure-puzle) type games would be more appropriate. Imagine a serialized adventure game: iTunes downloads a new episode for you every week.

notjustjay
Feb 9, 2007, 02:22 PM
Mmm. Bejeweled and Acid Solitaire, please.

Project
Feb 9, 2007, 02:23 PM
Ah, so the argument that 3rd party developers are locked out of the iPod has been killed in one fell swoop.

Telp
Feb 9, 2007, 02:28 PM
Ah, so the argument that 3rd party developers are locked out of the iPod has been killed in one fell swoop.

iphone?

Rocketman
Feb 9, 2007, 02:29 PM
Another non Mac related topic. Sweet.:(

Why do you think they call it "macrumors"? :) I mentioned once after the iPod started dominating the site they should simply add a tab for iPod. They didn't. They should restate their mission statement as "Apple rumors" and quell this sort of post forever. The name of the site is fine.

Apple is a consumer products company now, so as you hear less and less computer news, take that as a good thing as they are branching out to larger and more forward thinking markets. Besides processors on computers are fast enough for any reasonable consumer need so it becomes a form factor and feature competition among computer manufacturers.

As for the 3rd party participation, I told you so! :)

Rocketman

Project
Feb 9, 2007, 02:30 PM
iphone?

haha, yes. My bad.

eightball0
Feb 9, 2007, 02:33 PM

No one has ever said that. They've just said that you won't be able to release software for iPod and iPhone without Apple's blessing.

That's still pretty awful. Imagine if your Mac didn't allow third-party software unless it was approved by Apple.

Lone Deranger
Feb 9, 2007, 02:33 PM
Read the topic full of excitement.... until I got to the EA part. :eek:

Of all the developers and publishers, they choose to go with the worst of the worst. :(

eightball0
Feb 9, 2007, 02:34 PM
Read the topic full of excitement.... until I got to the EA part. :eek:

Of all the developers and publishers, they choose to go with the worst of the worst. :(

And that's exactly why it's awful that Apple gets to choose which developers develop for the iPhone--because they won't go with the smaller, more innovative developers that make Macs great. Instead, we'll get the EAs of the world.

Sandfleaz
I think it's a smart move ..another revenue stream (like they need it )

me hate windows
Cool, except for the part about EA.

Telp
Feb 9, 2007, 02:44 PM
That's still pretty awful. Imagine if your Mac didn't allow third-party software unless it was approved by Apple.

But a Mac is different then their phone. The phone is a first generation, and its a hard network to get into. They need to start off cautious. Right now the Mac is very secure and they aren't as worried, and they needent be, in time, they will be more lenient with 3rd party apps for the iphone too

longofest
Feb 9, 2007, 02:56 PM
In my opinion, this isn't true third party development. Third party development is when you release a SDK and say to the tech community "develop for our platform." Apple of course does this with Mac OS X, and other smartphone developers have elected to do this as well, however Apple has for whatever reason decided not to do this for the iPod and iPhone. Instead, they are keeping the broader community at bay, and are rather turning to "2nd" party developers, who are at Apple's mercy when it comes to development.

But a Mac is different then their phone. The phone is a first generation, and its a hard network to get into. They need to start off cautious. Right now the Mac is very secure and they aren't as worried, and they needent be, in time, they will be more lenient with 3rd party apps for the iphone too

I disagree. Apple can make an even bigger splash if they truly open up their phone for development. This would further increase the usefulness of the iPhone by what 3rd parties can provide. You can't tell me that all of the creative minds of the tech world are limited to just Apple employees... someone has got to have an idea for the iPhone that Apple hasn't come up with yet, and by limiting development, Apple is limiting the consumer.

The iPhone has really pushed the boundaries of the phone. But Apple shouldn't stifle the platform like they are. No doubt the iPhone will still be a success (I'm not doubting that), but I think there is more they can do to make it even better.

Telp
Feb 9, 2007, 03:01 PM
In my opinion, this isn't true third party development. Third party development is when you release a SDK and say to the tech community "develop for our platform." Apple of course does this with Mac OS X, and other smartphone developers have elected to do this as well, however Apple has for whatever reason decided not to do this for the iPod and iPhone. Instead, they are keeping the broader community at bay, and are rather turning to "2nd" party developers, who are at Apple's mercy when it comes to development.

I disagree. Apple can make an even bigger splash if they truly open up their phone for development. This would further increase the usefulness of the iPhone by what 3rd parties can provide. You can't tell me that all of the creative minds of the tech world are limited to just Apple employees... someone has got to have an idea for the iPhone that Apple hasn't come up with yet, and by limiting development, Apple is limiting the consumer.

The iPhone has really pushed the boundaries of the phone. But Apple shouldn't stifle the platform like they are. No doubt the iPhone will still be a success (I'm not doubting that), but I think there is more they can do to make it even better.

Your right and im not saying that i fully agree with Apple to do that, but they are under a lot of pressure from Cingular too. I do think they should allow third party products, but i dont fully disagree with what there doing either, atleast for now....

whatever
Feb 9, 2007, 03:17 PM
Multi touch should be good for games, no? I don't play games so I can't be sure--but I would think there are some interesting opportunities there.

Actually games do not need to be tweaked for multi-touch. A 3rd party or Apple could offer a game pad that plugs into the iPod dock and be used while the iPhone is held in landscape mode (movie mode).

The controller/gamepad I envision would be be a backwards L. where the the actual game pad would be below the phone (movie mode). The gamer would actually hold the phone by holding the gamepad.

Below is a very bad mock up of what I'm trying to describe. And yes, those are PSP buttons just cut and pasted in, but what do you expect for quick cut and past piece of junk.)

This would be designed for gamers and the "L" shape game pad would fold up nicely. It would also have to look cool, I just wanted throw up a quick idea.

quigleybc
Feb 9, 2007, 03:23 PM
Businessweek has heard that Apple is in talks with Electronic Arts regarding games for the iPhone:

I made a thread about this months ago, and was promptly told by other MR members that this is Old news.....

twoodcc
Feb 9, 2007, 03:36 PM
well i guess this would be kinda cool. but not really a huge deal though.

mainstreetmark
Feb 9, 2007, 04:08 PM
I have to agree with some of the previous posters regarding the open platform. Apple can either sell a $3 game to people who own iPhones, or they can open the platform (like the Mac itself) and allow the teeming masses to develop applications.

Then, suddenly you have morons like me who could give a crap about Stocks, but who would like a tide chart and a terminal in the thing. Or an iStumbler-like device. Suddenly, it has value to me, and I hand Apple $600, which means, what, $300 cash in their pockets?

Extended further, that means there are a larger number of iPhoners out there, which means Apple's market to sell those crappy $3 games is also increased.

If the thing runs OSX like Jobs said, then certainly it can handle reliability issues, and stuff, from third-party developed apps. When was the last time one of your .apps locked up the whole mac. (I know it happens, but way not often).

Something doesn't add up. Why would Jobs even mention OSX, if none of us out here would benefit from it. Maybe for iPhone 2.0, or the next gen iPod, things will open up a bit more, though I've wished for that before (http://www.itunesregistry.com/articles/plugins/).

As it stands, I won't be getting one.

iMikeT
Feb 9, 2007, 04:40 PM
Hopefully this bit of news will get some people to stop complaining about the iPhone's lack of 3rd party apps.

Thanatoast
Feb 9, 2007, 04:46 PM
If someone wrote a DS emulator that split the screen in portrait mode it would be "one phone to rule them all". How much oomph does the iPhone proc have, anyway?

Doctor Q
Feb 9, 2007, 05:00 PM
Need an idea for a simple game, Apple?

vga4life
Feb 9, 2007, 05:55 PM
Games? GAMES?

What about iChat, dammit?

No iChat, no sale.

Project
Feb 9, 2007, 06:25 PM

This IS true third party development. Third parties are developing for this platform. But it isnt an open platform....yet.

fiskefant
Feb 10, 2007, 03:29 AM
The game shown at 03:00 in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89sz8ExZndc) would be really cool in the iPhone. :)

panamajack
Feb 11, 2007, 12:57 PM
I'm not a huge fan, but why the hate ? Get a big corp to comply to your standards and the smaller guys will follow suit me thinks.

Imagine Mac classics like EV Nova for the iPhone ? Bus rides will never be the same. GOOD Mac-developed games from small developers are few and far between.

psychofreak
Feb 11, 2007, 01:01 PM
I'm not a huge fan, but why the hate ? Get a big corp to comply to your standards and the smaller guys will follow suit me thinks.

Imagine Mac classics like EV Nova for the iPhone ? Bus rides will never be the same. GOOD Mac-developed games from small developers are few and far between.

Yes, but a larger percentage of those games are good compared to windows. I refer you to my new fave SketchFighter (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/sketchfighter/)

Clive At Five
Feb 11, 2007, 11:14 PM
EA Games, huh? The Sims for the the iPhone? That would rule. ;)

Even better? Escape Velocity (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/ev/) for iPhone!!

-Clive

biturbomunkie
Feb 11, 2007, 11:18 PM
games...? i'm really more interested in seeing a gps software without the need of an internet connection.

Dunepilot
Feb 12, 2007, 05:52 AM
Escape Velocity indeed sounds like an ideal candidate for this. In fact, I can't see why there couldn't be a version for an ordinary iPod either... Clickwheel would be fine for your turning needs.

iShak
Feb 12, 2007, 11:03 AM
i have played games on my iPaq using screen touch controls . .and it does not work at all !!!!!!

unless, ofcourse, EA games bring out something really special . .

Clive At Five
Feb 12, 2007, 12:56 PM

Woah, totally didn't see your EV comment before I posted. But why Nova?? EV is a classic. Who cares about bad graphics and a small universe?

Die, confederate scum!

-Clive

panamajack
Feb 12, 2007, 04:16 PM
Woah, totally didn't see your EV comment before I posted. But why Nova?? EV is a classic. Who cares about bad graphics and a small universe?

Die, confederate scum!

-Clive

Simply put: if you loved the original, you'll pee your pants when you see Nova. The graphics are better (slightly), the universe and story lines more complex, but the simple, fun, uber-addictive game play is more or less exactly the same. They even make it for PC's as well (EV being one of the only Mac games that my PC friends actually pined to see on their windoze machine).

Still, my point remains: Apple wants iPhone software to be highly standardized, ergo it's going to be way easier for the big boys like EA to comply, if they even see serious profit in this "causal game" market.

Just wait a bit, and I suspect you'll see finely honed developer tools specfically built for the iPhone version of OSX akin to a more envolved Dashcode (moving beyond just widgets I hope!).

Clive At Five
Feb 12, 2007, 05:03 PM
Simply put: if you loved the original, you'll pee your pants when you see Nova. The graphics are better (slightly), the universe and story lines more complex, but the simple, fun, uber-addictive game play is more or less exactly the same. They even make it for PC's as well (EV being one of the only Mac games that my PC friends actually pined to see on their windoze machine).

Still, my point remains: Apple wants iPhone software to be highly standardized, ergo it's going to be way easier for the big boys like EA to comply, if they even see serious profit in this "causal game" market.

Just wait a bit, and I suspect you'll see finely honed developer tools specfically built for the iPhone version of OSX akin to a more envolved Dashcode (moving beyond just widgets I hope!).

I own EV Nova! It's just not *quite* as great as EV the original. The enhanced features were nice, but I'm a simply guy. It doesn't take much to please me.

-Clive

surferfromuk
Feb 12, 2007, 06:36 PM
games...? i'm really more interested in seeing a gps software without the need of an internet connection.

I second that...An Apple Sat Nav App seems like a no-brainer to me..I can't believe they missed this...but implemented google maps with no gps? I know plenty of pda's have it so why not this..

THIS is the 'other' killer app apart from the 'phone'...

An 'Apple class' global sat nav app would rule the roost and put one of these babies in the hands of every sailor, pilot, hiker, cyclist and maybe every 5th motorist on the planet.

Games ?? This is clearly a sophisticated product for 'adult minds' who will game on a next-gen console if game they must...FFS!