PDA

View Full Version : Icon changing question

cleo
Mar 8, 2002, 05:20 PM
When I drag the a URL directly onto the dock, the icon is the little gray @ springboard thingy. Is there any way to change this? It's annoying to have to figure out which is which when there is more than one.

PS- thanks for putting up with all my questions :)

blackpeter
Mar 8, 2002, 05:29 PM
You'll find everything from instructions to replacment icons here:

http://xicons.macnn.com/articles/view.php?id=4

Good Luck.

newmanium
Mar 8, 2002, 05:55 PM
haha, milking the forums for all its worth, eh?.... good idea. if you want to know the layman's advice (which is me), you could try another method:

-make a normal shortcut (i.e. dragging the address to the desktop)

-simply change the icon of that like you normally would

-drag that sucker onto the dock and there u go.

hmm, not sure if you need to keep the o.g. shortcut or not, but it does beat the hell out of hacking into the OS, besides, shortcuts dont take up that much space anyway. herd them all into a folder and ur set.

PC > MACs
Mar 8, 2002, 06:01 PM
i don't see why you want to change the icons in the first place. what's wrong? "Aqua" not pretty enough for you? XP is much better looking and you never get tired of its looks

newmanium
Mar 8, 2002, 06:03 PM
what the hell is ur problem, you peecee bastard? i mean fellow computer user. XP is crap on a stick and you know it

PC > MACs
Mar 8, 2002, 06:05 PM
please....it's so much more stable AND asthetically more pleasant. by the way....movie maker > iMovie

newmanium
Mar 8, 2002, 06:10 PM
yeahhhh....im going to have to disagree on that. have fun sending those error reports everytime calculator crashes after trying to add and multiply.

cleo
Mar 8, 2002, 09:24 PM
Tfaz: Thanks so much for the link! I ignored the disclaimer about not attempting the procedure if you were unfamiliar with Unix and just went for it - and it worked! Looks like I'm not gonna be getting any sleep tonight... :)

krossfyter
Mar 9, 2002, 01:56 AM
PC > MACs

if your going pcs why get a dell? go make your own or go to alienware.com and have them make you one. forget that dell crap. and dont give me that lame "because of the price" argument. because if it matters for you to come in to the mac forums and start something about your peecee being better then it should matter to you to spend more money to get something better.
you get what you pay for.... a porsche costs more than a geo metro.

cleo
Mar 9, 2002, 05:09 PM
Icons are so cool! I wish I was artistic enough to make my own! Well, one day.

In the meantime, does anyone know what resource I need to look in to find the standard "Application" icon used on the toolbar? It's the "A" formed by the ruler, etc.

Thanks!

krossfyter
Mar 10, 2002, 12:37 AM
i believe its under file systems...

all the icons are in a file called... HIToolbox.rsrc

however i think you need a certain program to open them up or view them..

i would go to www.mscape.com/products/iconographer.html

to get it. hope that helps.

cleo
Mar 10, 2002, 04:42 PM
Actually, I did some digging around, and the toolbar icons are actually in the package contents of Finder.app, in case anyone wants to do some hard-core icon changing! You have to change the file permissions by logging in as root.

(woo-hoo! I'm a regular!)