PDA

View Full Version : Patent: Wireless iPhone Charging Station?

MacRumors
Feb 15, 2007, 07:28 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Hrmph reports (http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/113/iphone-itablet-dock-inductive-charging) on the latest Apple patent application that was just published on February 15th, 2007.

The newest patent addresses the topic of allowing iPhone and similar devices (Tablet) to be charged in any orientation... landscape or portrait. Methods described include various physical connectors to handle both orientations.

A much more interesting method of transfering is proposed in the patent application -- the use of "induction" for both data transfer and charging that would not require physical contact between the dock and the iPhone.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/rotatedock2.png

With regards to non-contact platforms, inductive coils can be placed in each device to transfer both power and data. The inductive coils are typically hidden from view behind the housings of each device and therefore they are more aesthetically pleasing than electrical contacts, which need to be exposed in order to operate effectively. Furthermore, inductively based systems are more robust than electrical contacts. For example, there are no contacts to wear out and/or oxidize.
In another implementation, power is transferred via an inductance-based system and data is transferred via a wireless system. The combination of inductance and wireless provides an efficient way to transfer both power and data while keeping both the docking station and portable electronic device fully enclosed.

[[ digg this (http://digg.com/apple/Patent_Wireless_iPhone_Charging_Station)]]

gers84
Feb 15, 2007, 07:31 AM
No more power cable:)

FF_productions
Feb 15, 2007, 07:31 AM
This iPhone just gets crazier everytime I hear about it. :eek:

Isidore
Feb 15, 2007, 07:34 AM
What are they getting a patent for? Inductive charging is definitely not new- I had it on a Braun electric toothbrush about ten years ago

arn
Feb 15, 2007, 07:39 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

the toothbrush is mentioned in the patent app

emotion
Feb 15, 2007, 07:40 AM
I've got a tothbrush that does this too.

Also check:

http://www.wildcharge.com/

syklee26
Feb 15, 2007, 07:41 AM
hopefully we will see this on iPods too. I don't think I will be getting iphone anytime soon since it's cingular exclusive.....

Cepe Indicum
Feb 15, 2007, 07:43 AM
When I saw this article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6129460.stm) in November, I wondered if it might be incorporated into the, then rumoured, iPhone... Interesting stuff.

xUKHCx
Feb 15, 2007, 07:47 AM
There is also SplashPower (http://www.splashpower.com/).

I would love this idea as i hate having to charge things up and plug them in. *

Also would be amazing for car integration.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

seems like arn is teched up.

Bad news is, you'll have to take the docking station along with you if you want to be able to reload the iPhone's battery anywhere…

Not if everyone buys an iPhone

*That is why i bought the new Nano gotta love the 24 hour battery life.

Nonoche
Feb 15, 2007, 07:47 AM
Bad news is, you'll have to take the docking station along with you if you want to be able to reload the iPhone's battery anywhere…

Evangelion
Feb 15, 2007, 07:52 AM

Wanna bet that the iPod dock is not going anywhere? So you could still recharge the iPid, if you just have the cable.

geerlingguy
Feb 15, 2007, 07:54 AM
I personally like the smiley face on the front of the iPhone. Perhaps this is a hint at Leopard's new UI?

:)

Nonoche
Feb 15, 2007, 07:57 AM
Wanna bet that the iPod dock is not going anywhere? So you could still recharge the iPid, if you just have the cable.

well the patent says that "Furthermore, inductively based systems are more robust than electrical contacts. For example, there are no contacts to wear out and/or oxidize." and "The combination of inductance and wireless provides an efficient way to transfer both power and data while keeping both the docking station and portable electronic device fully enclosed."

So if there's still a contact for an electrical outlet on the iPhone, then there's no point at all in the induction system, and we lose its benefits…

ogee
Feb 15, 2007, 08:06 AM
I doubt its for the iPhone as it has a docking connector, and the phone is charged over that. I could imagine it for a future device ad with inductive data transfer a future iPod iPhone is not out of the question.

Maybe a new "iPod Pico" No connections at all. Inductive power and data transfer to BT earbuds. The complete iPod Pico is housed in 2 ear buds connected by a low power BT transceiver which keeps the buds in sync. :D

geerlingguy
Feb 15, 2007, 08:12 AM
Maybe a new "iPod Pico" No connections at all. Inductive power and data transfer to BT earbuds. The complete iPod Pico is housed in 2 ear buds connected by a low power BT transceiver which keeps the buds in sync. :D

<drool>Ooh! Even closer to the 'iPod Invisi' mentioned on SNL!</drool>

k2k koos
Feb 15, 2007, 08:18 AM
I didn't realise there are still patents to be obtained on this, it is old and proven technology, it's on toothbrushes yes, and I've been working with various brands of pagers that use the same technology for charging, including wireless transfer of data (the paging signal and also the programming of the pager).
Still, it would clean up the design even more, no damage or oxidising, or fluf from clothing to get to contacts etc. Now all they have to do is supply it with wireless stereo bluetooth head sets (that also charge inductive) and we have a very clean design, look mum, no wires :-)

macridah
Feb 15, 2007, 08:19 AM

lol ... tell me about it.

Bye Bye Baby
Feb 15, 2007, 08:29 AM
Everyone is making a big deal about its use for the iphone, which is still yet to be sold, but what about the millions of keyboards and mice that could also be charged in the same way. Guys don't forget your bread and butter computing to be caught up in the latest fad. :confused:

twoodcc
Feb 15, 2007, 08:34 AM

yeah it does. this would be very nice. i just want the iphone to hurry up and get here

milo2020
Feb 15, 2007, 08:34 AM
Everyone is making a big deal about its use for the iphone, which is still yet to be sold, but what about the millions of keyboards and mice that could also be charged in the same way. Guys don't forget your bread and butter computing to be caught up in the latest fad. :confused:

mobile/cell phones are a fad? ;)

dernhelm
Feb 15, 2007, 08:38 AM

Never mind that, no more iPod connector on your next iPod. USB2 the docking station to your computer, and sync using induction. Once this gets more ingrained, all Apple computers will ship with the inductive charger built in. Just drop your iPod on top of your mini and it syncs and charges automagically.

By 2008 - all Macs could have inductive sync and charge built in - how awesome would that be?

buymeaniphone
Feb 15, 2007, 08:40 AM
I wonder what the maximum distance can be between the charger station and the device, the article mentioned above said that it could possibly be a few meters away and still charge the device. This would be cool for the iPhone, no open ports for dust to find its way inside the huge display.

zombitronic
Feb 15, 2007, 08:43 AM
I would love to see this show up in the initial release of the iPhone. Knowing (or hoping) that this and other patents and upgrades could still be implemented would make this wait so much more bearable.

gerwitz
Feb 15, 2007, 09:02 AM
I personally like the smiley face on the front of the iPhone. Perhaps this is a hint at Leopard's new UI?

That's the real scoop, here. Microsoft was ahead of their time with Bob, and Apple is resurrecting the creepy-avatar-centric UI and licensing Wal-Mart's mascot.

motulist
Feb 15, 2007, 09:06 AM
Never mind that, no more iPod connector on your next iPod. USB2 the docking station to your computer, and sync using induction. Once this gets more ingrained, all Apple computers will ship with the inductive charger built in. Just drop your iPod on top of your mini and it syncs and charges automagically.

By 2008 - all Macs could have inductive sync and charge built in - how awesome would that be?

My gosh man! Are you guys from the future?! I can't imagine a more fantastically out of this world idea than the ideas you guys are comming up with. Imagine having everything that gets put on your desk automatically charged and synced wirelessly. No wires to the keyboard, no wires to the mouse, just chuck your ipod or iphone on the desk and it starts charging and pops up in your itunes library.

Ladies and gentlemen, the future is nigh.

reyesmac
Feb 15, 2007, 09:06 AM
I like all these far out technologies they are working on for future devices. I just wish they could use all that skill they have to make things cheaper instead of adding value that people arent really asking for. These features are great but they are not what existing customers of phones are wanting. All these things just make Apple products different and more expensive.

sishaw
Feb 15, 2007, 09:07 AM
Induction charging + data transfer would be great for any iPod. Imagine if the induction charger were integrated into a MacBook....you'd just have to place the iPod near the MacBook to update and charge it. Very Star Trek.

donlphi
Feb 15, 2007, 09:10 AM
I'm going to go ahead and submit my patent for the phone that charges via POSITIVE ENERGY. Just hold the phone in your hand and think happy thoughts.

It's gonna be WAY cooler than this. Sonicare has been doing this for years.:D

bdj21ya
Feb 15, 2007, 09:10 AM
well the patent says that "Furthermore, inductively based systems are more robust than electrical contacts. For example, there are no contacts to wear out and/or oxidize." and "The combination of inductance and wireless provides an efficient way to transfer both power and data while keeping both the docking station and portable electronic device fully enclosed."

So if there's still a contact for an electrical outlet on the iPhone, then there's no point at all in the induction system, and we lose its benefits…

Well, not really. Sure there are still electrical contacts, but they don't get worn out or oxidize when you're not using them. AND, if they did get worn out, you'd still have a backup.

maverick18x
Feb 15, 2007, 09:13 AM
i'm 90% sure the apple remote already charges this way.

Rocketman
Feb 15, 2007, 09:38 AM
As I posted to this site shortly after my arrival, and a couple of times since, "Air Power-tm".

Rocketman

Edit: evidence of ATNN too :)

aleon1
Feb 15, 2007, 09:39 AM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned what seems (to me) to be the coolest benefit of using induction (and excluding connectors/contacts) on the iPhone: no more water damage (right?). If there's no keyboard and the one home key is sealed/touch-sensitive, then you have a (pretty much) water-tight iPhone, or at least a very water-resistant iPhone. Water damage is a big deal for cell phones, and I think (not sure here) it's one of the leading reasons for phone failure (day at the beach, dropped in the toilet, etc). Heck, some companies even put water-contact indicators (white dots that turn red when water touches them, made by 3M I think) on their phones to keep people from using the phone's warranty to cover water-related damage.

And if you're spending this much on a phone, it's a pretty cool feature. Also, wouldn't it be possible for Apple to create a portable version of the charger, maybe using a magnet to hold the end of the cable "in place"?

What do you think?

Edit: Consider MagSafe, for example...Apple developed this and implemeted it for a (while very cool) relatively (although I know people to whom it's happened) uncommon way of hurting your laptop. I think water-damage to your phone is more likely than tripping on a cord and bringing down your laptop. It would be in line with Apple's previous thinking about how to help you protect your investment.

whooleytoo
Feb 15, 2007, 09:44 AM

Yup, there's no point in wireless power unless you have the wireless data syncing as well.

(Chances are the battery would have died long before the contacts wore out/oxidized anyway, but that's another story! ;) )

whooleytoo
Feb 15, 2007, 09:50 AM
I like all these far out technologies they are working on for future devices. I just wish they could use all that skill they have to make things cheaper instead of adding value that people arent really asking for. These features are great but they are not what existing customers of phones are wanting. All these things just make Apple products different and more expensive.

Look even at the (low end) MacBook and you have lots of features that once would have been considered extravagent extras, Magsafe, Front Row & remote, iSight etc.

Apple always has strived to be at the cutting edge, with all the features slowly trickling down the product line to it's "budget" models. They couldn't survive simply manufacturing bland phones/Macs/music players and trying to make them cheaper than anyone else.

Demon
Feb 15, 2007, 09:59 AM
Got a cordless phone from Sony Japan and Pioneer a decade ago that charges by induction. sure it's nice, but it's not new and nothing that needs a patent. i suppose this is one of the hundreds of patents Apple boasted about in the introduction keynote.

T'hain Esh Kelch
Feb 15, 2007, 10:16 AM
My gosh man! Are you guys from the future?! I can't imagine a more fantastically out of this world idea than the ideas you guys are comming up with. Imagine having everything that gets put on your desk automatically charged and synced wirelessly. No wires to the keyboard, no wires to the mouse, just chuck your ipod or iphone on the desk and it starts charging and pops up in your itunes library.

Ladies and gentlemen, the future is nigh.
This idea has been blabbered around since the first induction inventions came out several years ago. Actually, each time a company launches a product based on induction recharging, they mention this idea... Its *so* not new.

ryanw
Feb 15, 2007, 10:22 AM
Much like my Sonic Care tooth brush. Obviously there is no "data" to transfer to the soniccare toothbrush, but the charging cradle has no connectors on neither the tooth brush nor the cradle. I've always thought that was interesting.

MadDoc
Feb 15, 2007, 10:22 AM

I'm 100% sure that it doesn't.

It uses a CR2032 (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302504) battery.

:cool:

MadDoc,

ChrisA
Feb 15, 2007, 10:27 AM
Wait until you see what I'm going to file...

"Mechanical devices that rotate about their central axis used under heavy objects to reduce friction when moving over ground. These devices have the unique geometric property the every point on the outer edge in equidistant from the point of rotation (See diagram 1.0) We shall refer to these devices as "wheels" below. .....

dllavaneras
Feb 15, 2007, 10:35 AM
Wait until you see what I'm going to file...

"Mechanical devices that rotate about their central axis used under heavy objects to reduce friction when moving over ground. These devices have the unique geometric property the every point on the outer edge in equidistant from the point of rotation (See diagram 1.0) We shall refer to these devices as "wheels" below. .....

:eek: You sooo stole my idea! :p

While it's nothing new, the tech would be cool to see in devices. Finally: an actual wireless computer! (on the outside, anyways)

thejadedmonkey
Feb 15, 2007, 10:41 AM
I was hoping for the same thing.. I think Apple only showed off what they NEEDED to show off for the iPhone, and I'm really hoping that there's more then just what they showed.. like this.

Or if this isn't in the iPhone, put it in the next iPod please!

ammonihah99
Feb 15, 2007, 10:56 AM
If the iPhone will be able to charge and/or transmit data from a few meters away, how far away are we from having one central power source in the home and all appliances and electronic devices are powered wirelessly from that? Electric receptacles would be a thing of the past. It might be expensive, but would it be feasible?

studiomusic
Feb 15, 2007, 11:08 AM
Ask Tesla (not the band).

Gizmotoy
Feb 15, 2007, 11:11 AM
Does anyone have any experience with inductive data transfer? I was under the impression that it worked, but was extremely slow compared to wired and even RF wireless connections. That would be a major issue for iPod syncing, but would be ideal for contact information updates and such.

ammonihah99: All current inductive devices I'm aware of have an extremely limited range. Definately not more than a meter, most within inches. Things appear to be moving in the universal power supply direction, but I doubt we'll see anything like that for decades.

The new member
Feb 15, 2007, 11:19 AM
This isn't a docking station for iPhone but for the next iPod TV. (yes, I said TV)

Peace
Feb 15, 2007, 11:35 AM
Does anyone have any experience with inductive data transfer? I was under the impression that it worked, but was extremely slow compared to wired and even RF wireless connections. That would be a major issue for iPod syncing, but would be ideal for contact information updates and such.

ammonihah99: All current inductive devices I'm aware of have an extremely limited range. Definately not more than a meter, most within inches. Things appear to be moving in the universal power supply direction, but I doubt we'll see anything like that for decades.

I stayed in a hotel once where they served the internet over power.It got around 768K in both directions.Plenty enough bandwidth to synch a device.

Mr. Amiga500
Feb 15, 2007, 11:50 AM
Speaking of wireless, I wish Apple would just make a good set of "shuffle headphones". By that I mean a good quality light headphone with the shuffle built into the headband. You don't need to look at a shuffle to operate it, so it doesn't matter if the controls are on top of your head.

I'm sick and tired of getting headphones ripped off my head or earbuds ripped out of my ears because the cord got snagged on something.

Gizmotoy
Feb 15, 2007, 11:55 AM
I stayed in a hotel once where they served the internet over power.It got around 768K in both directions.Plenty enough bandwidth to synch a device.

But that's not the same. BPL uses OFDM modulation over the lines in a house or building. It needs to be plugged into the wiring to work. This device is using, I assume, magnetic induction since another poster mentioned that the patent application discusses Philip's Sonicare toothbrush. This allows wireless transmission of power and data, whereas BPL does not.

EagerDragon
Feb 15, 2007, 12:08 PM
I wonder if they can use this for laptops.

I totaly dislike all the cables coming out of my laptop, some are from the left, some from the right, messy tangle of wires.

If they can create a docking station that powers the laptop and transfer data between the laptop and base station, then the base station can deal with the differences between the device types (video, sound, USB, Firewire, Ethernet).

Now I would love that!!!!!
Drop and work.
:rolleyes:

sanooj
Feb 15, 2007, 12:10 PM
It's sideburns too!

Cepe Indicum
Feb 15, 2007, 12:17 PM

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not... :o

But, just in case you're not, I changed the battery on my remote the other day... no inductive power there I'm afraid, tho it would be cool!

cbud
Feb 15, 2007, 12:32 PM
If the iPhone will be able to charge and/or transmit data from a few meters away, how far away are we from having one central power source in the home and all appliances and electronic devices are powered wirelessly from that? Electric receptacles would be a thing of the past. It might be expensive, but would it be feasible?

That would be scary. Cancer rates would sky rocket.

ncook06
Feb 15, 2007, 12:35 PM
I must say, this would be awesome. I would love to just come home and drop my phone on the charger. One less thing to break, but we could also have bigger problems than we anticipate. If you could charge at a distance, say, anywhere in the same room, it would be so convenient.

crees!
Feb 15, 2007, 01:08 PM

I have a feeling that "Alex" will be the software behind the voice features in iPhone.

mikeinternet
Feb 15, 2007, 01:12 PM
according to vonnegut, Universal Will To Become (UWTB) could power an ipod for a millennium with a single charge.

on a semi-serious note. is this safe to have juice flying through the air???

mikeinternet
Feb 15, 2007, 01:17 PM
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not... :o

But, just in case you're not, I changed the battery on my remote the other day... no inductive power there I'm afraid, tho it would be cool!

I in no way thought that anything but a battery powered those remotes but to somewhat back em up... the little hide away spring action battery compartment is nice and stealthy.

jmsait19
Feb 15, 2007, 02:11 PM
according to vonnegut, Universal Will To Become (UWTB) could power an ipod for a millennium with a single charge.

on a semi-serious note. is this safe to have juice flying through the air???

not if it would work like a transformer... eletcricity is pumped into a coil where it is converted to a magnetic field... the neighboring coil converts the newly created magnetic field back into electricity and bam! FLUX BABY!

anywho... thats assuming they use that same kind of induction.

Rocketman
Feb 15, 2007, 03:14 PM
There are third party base stations for Portable Macs. I do not have the links. The base stations themselves have all the wires hooked to it, then you "dock" the laptop into the base.

If you have more than one or two connections you typically hook-up, or have difficulty with the connectors due to fatfingers, they are reasonable.

Rocketman

newnomad
Feb 15, 2007, 03:33 PM
Now I suddenly understand why the bottom back of the iPhone isn't metal: That's probably where the induction coil is...(and maybe even the removable battery?)

matticus008
Feb 15, 2007, 03:49 PM
Fully enclosed is a theory, not a reality, for now. Anything with adhesive seams that's mass produced is going to have minor problems with being airtight, and furthermore the iPhone has a couple physical buttons on the side, along with the SIM slot, and the USB slot for portable charging and high-speed data transfer. The technology itself allows for fully enclosed systems, but the other realities of the devices still prevent that from actually happening.

The thing is that the dock connector on most devices is an open gateway for dust. Having just a miniUSB connector on the bottom already minimizes this hazard. There's no way to introduce a device like this without the option to charge it in the "standard" way. People don't travel with docking stations for anything, so there either has to be a backup power source or a way to plug it into the wall, at least until induction technology becomes as ubiquitous as the wall sockets themselves.

Bye Bye Baby
Feb 15, 2007, 04:15 PM
mobile/cell phones are a fad? ;)

True- the iphone isn't even yet a product! :p

SeaFox
Feb 15, 2007, 04:44 PM

Microsoft Bob?

Feb 15, 2007, 05:43 PM
Regarding specifically the stand-charger for what looks like a tablet PC...

I hate to say "I told you so" but...

From a previous post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3335410#post3335410) I made on the future of multitouch, I pointed out this is exactly the kind of solution Apple would envision: (emphasis added here to highlight the specific suggestion)

I'm talking about seeing this on, say, an iMac. Now, your first reaction might be "but iMacs are stationary and upright." This is where I'd ask you, and others here who have approached this from the negative, to think forward...

People like to say "tablet PC"... but what images does a tablet PC conjure up? Usually a single-point touchscreen which doesn't allow the user to do things remotely close to what they can do with a multitouch UI. That's why I haven't chosen to use that term directly to refer to where Apple is headed in this case.

What images does an iMac conjure up? Well, several, because iMac has gone through several logical design evolutions: CRT and computer in one case > Luxo Jr.-style LCD lamp-Mac > RoundRect all-in-one iMac (23 years and round rectangles are STILL everywhere!)

Well, how about the next iMac? Well, some people may use the upright design in a multitouch. Others might not. Solution? Make the screen/computer removable from the swivel armature. Voila... iMac/TabletMac in one.

With this patent, the patent filing for the Piles type UI improvements, the acquisition of Fingerworks, the iPhone, Cover Flow, Spaces, Time Machine, etc. I strongly believe (though I *could* still be wrong) all roads are pointing to a product development roadmap for a multitouch Mac within the next three years.

WaltFrench
Feb 15, 2007, 06:27 PM
I, too, have one of those induction powered toothbrushes, and it's great.

Except that when it sits atop a clock radio I also keep sinkside, the reception is impossible unless I move it to a very particular spot.

Why? As earlier posters surmise, it creates a time-varying magnetic field (60 North, 60 South per second) to transfer the energy to the rechargable battery. Those fields are great for erasing floppies, and could also be a concern if you were to place your miscellaneous thumb drives, SD chips, etc on the chargerbase while it was on. Your average headphone cord would probably do a decent job of at least picking up the hum, too.

That's to recharge a battery for 5 minutes of wiggling in each 24 hours, not much energy/hour of charging. You certainly wouldn't want it strong enough to work a couple of feet away, and probably want it to detect whether the target iPhone is present before it starts humming away, too. I'm no Luddite, but more than a few inches of range and you'll start hearing scaremongering about brain tumors, etc. Nobody needs that, either.

I'd imagine that people would want to listen or even talk while the phone is on the charger, so the expected hum, as well as the potential noise/hiss of data going across, would have to be pretty carefully filtered. If this is so great, look for it on the next-gen nano, a perfect place to try out a great idea that might need some fine-tuning.

Gizmotoy
Feb 15, 2007, 06:49 PM
Those fields are great for erasing floppies, and could also be a concern if you were to place your miscellaneous thumb drives, SD chips, etc on the chargerbase while it was on.

Flash memory doesn't have anything to do with magnetism, so you'd be ok putting things like thumb drives and SD cards on the charger. You don't want floppy or hard disk drives close, though.

rdrr
Feb 15, 2007, 06:56 PM
Flash memory doesn't have anything to do with magnetism, so you'd be ok putting things like thumb drives and SD cards on the charger. You don't want floppy or hard disk drives close, though.

What about having your wallet with your credit cards near it? Say in your pocket, or on your belt in some sort of holder? :confused:

Gizmotoy
Feb 15, 2007, 08:21 PM
That's an interesting point I never thought of. Should such an inductive charger be integrated into a desk, be sure not to sit your wallet on it!

If it's enough to wipe out a floppy drive like a previous poster suggests, it's surely enough to wipe out your mag stripes. You'd only have to worry about the charger itself though. The actual device would not be any danger to your credit cards when it's not charging.

Rocketman
Feb 15, 2007, 09:16 PM
Those fields are great for erasing floppies, and could also be a concern if you were to place your miscellaneous thumb drives, SD chips, etc on the chargerbase while it was on. Your average headphone cord would probably do a decent job of at least picking up the hum, too.

That's to recharge a battery for 5 minutes of wiggling in each 24 hours, not much energy/hour of charging. You certainly wouldn't want it strong enough to work a couple of feet away, and probably want it to detect whether the target iPhone is present before it starts humming away, too.

Microwaves work better. I wonder how the FCC and CPSC feels about those?

Remember when Moscow was irradiating Washington DC back in the mid-80's?

Rocketman

MrCrowbar
Feb 15, 2007, 09:50 PM
I like the idea of induction for charging a device's battery. But it's true that the range of thing should be extremely small, else you'll kill hard drives, floppies, tapes, watches etc. Oh yea, your whole body will get microwaved a little too... you don't want that.

Charging the iPhone by placing it into a dock where the coils in the dock can surround the coils in the phone should work fine and have minimal magnetic annoyances. But you could as well just have something like a magsafe connector where the phone basically snaps in.

But the sheer fact that people want to use their phone while it's charging and the iPhone has a dock connector (at least the prototype has one) leeds me to the conclusion that everything will happen through the cable, just as an iPod.

DMann
Feb 16, 2007, 04:00 AM

Firewire and USB perhaps?

DMann
Feb 16, 2007, 04:02 AM
True- the iphone isn't even yet a product! :p

Nor is it VaporWare.....

hogo
Feb 16, 2007, 04:13 AM
This is so sweet! Pretty soon they're gonna make it so you don't even have to plug in your computer to get on the internet. They'll call it wireless internet! Oh wait...:cool:

MattyMac
Feb 16, 2007, 04:23 AM
Very very awesome :apple:

JMax1
Feb 16, 2007, 08:17 AM
I want to know what the induction would do to my body....

will it help my body produce ATP so I don't have to eat anymore? What if they made a blanket out of it? Ultra power naps?

Rocketman
Apr 26, 2008, 09:34 AM
As I posted to this site shortly after my arrival, and a couple of times since, "Air Power-tm".

Rocketman

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/08/04/25/223257.shtml

GoCubsGo
Apr 26, 2008, 09:39 AM
Not totally what Apple's patent is claiming to do but a charging station isn't exactly new (http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/wildcharger-pad).

DMann
Apr 26, 2008, 11:14 AM
That would be scary. Cancer rates would sky rocket.

This technology has been around since the 1800's - electromagnetic radiation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer

The primary reason it was discontinued was that it made it too easy for consumers to piggy back off of the electric company without paying.

Indeed, cancer rates would skyrocket, and the spike would likely be blamed on Global Warming.

Rocketman
Aug 22, 2008, 05:41 PM
"Air Power"-tm

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/08/08/22/1252228.shtml

Rocketman

Rocketman
Dec 10, 2008, 07:47 PM

Rocketman

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/08/12/10/181229.shtml

pawn3d
Dec 10, 2008, 08:07 PM
one word: TESLA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt8Y93k0pB0)

pawn3d
Dec 10, 2008, 08:09 PM
one more word:

TESLA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9EQYZuXMX0)

lftrghtparadigm
Dec 20, 2008, 10:10 AM
I can already feel my brain cells being sucked out by the induction magnets, just from thinking about this concept.

Great idea, just hope its not a contributor to wide spread brain cancer one day.