PDA

View Full Version : 15.4" MacBook in 2nd Quarter 2007?

AndyR
Feb 15, 2007, 05:26 AM
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17227

If this is true that is going to be great news! I'd buy one in a heartbeat :D

Go :apple:

sunfast
Feb 15, 2007, 05:34 AM
I wonder how they would spec it to keep it distinct from the Pro. And how much it would cost?

If you haven't already done, you should submit (http://www.macrumors.com/site.php?mode=submit) this

Abstract
Feb 15, 2007, 05:55 AM
They can keep it distinct from the MBP simply by continuing to include Intel integrated graphics and some of the really whizz-bang features like the illuminated keyboard and other masturbate-worthy perks.

Oh, and maybe LED backlights for the LCDs in the MBP, and conventional LCD tech for the MacBook.

By the time that 15" MacBook is out, I think the upcoming, new and improved integrated graphics is coming out. Doesn't sound exciting, but it's not going to be bad at all. I would actually upgrade my current MacBook to a MacBook with that integrated graphics chip when the time comes. :)

(Well, I was considering an upgrade to a MBP, but lets see what happens...)

ashokc
Feb 15, 2007, 06:26 AM
I hope they dont release it at a lower price I just bought a new macbook two days ago :(

emotion
Feb 15, 2007, 06:54 AM
I think this is a confused rumour. The reports are probably for the new Pro, not a normal 15.4" Macbook.

sunfast
Feb 15, 2007, 07:07 AM
It says this 15.4" model is to "debut". That suggests to me it's new, rather than an update.

iMeowbot
Feb 15, 2007, 07:11 AM
Digitimes. Bah.

emotion
Feb 15, 2007, 07:13 AM
It says this 15.4" model is to "debut". That suggests to me it's new, rather than an update.

As has been pointed out, it's a Digitimes rumour. I wouldn't pay to much heed to it.

sunfast
Feb 15, 2007, 08:30 AM
As has been pointed out, it's a Digitimes rumour. I wouldn't pay to much heed to it.

I see! I'm not quite versed enough in rumour stuff to know who to trust :o

emotion
Feb 15, 2007, 08:33 AM
I see! I'm not quite versed enough in rumour stuff to know who to trust :o

:) they've got our hopes up too many times, only to have them dashed again.

MacRumors
Feb 15, 2007, 08:49 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Digitimes claims (http://www.digitimes.com/Backgrounders/ArtReview.asp?datePublish=2007/02/15&pages=PD&seq=210&Cat=1?www.reghardware.co.uk) that Apple will be shipping 15.4" MacBooks in the second quarter of 2007:

Apple is planning to introduce 15.4-inch MacBooks in the second quarter of 2007, according to industry sources in Taiwan. The new model will fill the gap between the company's 13.3-inch MacBooks and the 15.4- and 17-inch MacBook Pros that form its current notebook line up, and is expected to boost shipments of Apple's Intel-powered MacBooks, the sources add.

Historically, Digitimes has not been very accurate with their predictions, but a number of recent Digitimes rumors have been corroborated, if not confirmed. (LED-backlit Laptops (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/03/apple-led-backlit-laptops/), Apple Notebook with Robson Caching (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/01/05/apple-notebook-with-robson-caching/))

Drizzt
Feb 15, 2007, 08:51 AM
Interesting. One wonders how this could affect the MBPs. I wonder how the average consumer will react...

Mydel
Feb 15, 2007, 08:56 AM
I would really prefer to see new MBP instead...:rolleyes:

blurtigo
Feb 15, 2007, 09:00 AM
I'd rather a replacement for the 12" PowerBook filled the gap instead.

nukiduz
Feb 15, 2007, 09:00 AM
is there any market for this? wouldn't it be more logical a small mbp?

CJD2112
Feb 15, 2007, 09:01 AM
I say bring it on! As an owner of a Power Book G4 and an owner of a Mac Pro 2.66, I was holding off on buying a new Mac Book Pro as I don't want to dish out over 2 grand for another Mac that would become obsolete in a matter of months, and I don't want a teeny-tiny Mac Book either. If a 15.4" Mac Book becomes available for roughly $1500, I'm on it like white on rice :cool:

princealfie
Feb 15, 2007, 09:02 AM
Bring it on! I really could love to have one...in black! :cool:

Grimace
Feb 15, 2007, 09:10 AM
I think this detracts greatly from the MBP range. An ultraportable 12" MBP would be a smarter move...

Ahheck01
Feb 15, 2007, 09:14 AM

I think this detracts greatly from the MBP range. An ultraportable 12" MBP would be a smarter move...

That's the content of over half the posts thus far for good reason. agreed.

-Evan

sluthy
Feb 15, 2007, 09:15 AM
If the next MBP comes out in April with LED backlighting, HDTV-ready resolution (1920x1200 preferably, for extra vertical real-estate) and all the Santa Rosa goodies (draft-N WiFi, Robson flash cache etc), then I'm buying one. I'm not waiting for Perryn or anything, but Santa Rosa is right around the corner.

bbydon
Feb 15, 2007, 09:22 AM
Everyone has a cheap 15 inch laptop....except apple.
My girlfriend bought a 15 inch HP for $500 because the macbook screen was too small for her.
I think apple is missing this market. Not everyone can afford a pro machine for screen size.

twoodcc
Feb 15, 2007, 09:23 AM

yeah me too, a smaller MBP

i really don't see why Apple would release this. i would like to see it, but i doubt it will happen

sunfast
Feb 15, 2007, 09:24 AM
I really hope they don't do what they did with the 12" and 14" iBooks and have the same resolution for both screen sizes

polishmacuser
Feb 15, 2007, 09:26 AM
can you say all lay lu ya

smueboy
Feb 15, 2007, 09:27 AM

I agree, a 12" MBP would be very nice.

What would a 15.4" MB entail? - basically a low spec MBP then, in white or black.

Kwill
Feb 15, 2007, 09:32 AM
Rumors typically distort facts. Actually, the 15.4" new product is a widescreen iPod.:)

zblaxberg
Feb 15, 2007, 09:34 AM

I'm looking for a black 13 or 15.4" MBP with possibly a faster processor...some have suggested 2.66ghz and led backlit displays....the whole point of the mbp isn't necessarily portability but pure processing power. It's meant to be a powerhouse. If they pack everything into something smaller, they will most likely have the heat issues again along with plenty of other problems. I bought a $2700 gift card to the apple store in hopes that I would have a better MBP by march or april and I'm definitely not wasting it on a 12" if I'm looking to do photo and movie editing. I'm a media major (photoshop, illustrator, final cut, after fx, dreamweaver, flash, maya) I use them all.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Feb 15, 2007, 09:37 AM
My girlfriend bought a 15 inch HP for $500 because the macbook screen was too small for her.
I think apple is missing this market. Not everyone can afford a pro machine for screen size.

Exactly - while opinions on this board may be different, I think that quite a few customers who purchase the 15.4" MBP buy it because of its screen size, not because of its power advantages.

Case in point: my mom purchased an MBP because she couldn't read the screen on the MB and she wanted a larger screen. She has no use for its graphical abilities, though...

Which market do you think is larger? The professionals who need a small computer with graphics, or the consumers who want a consumer, affordable, 15" screen computer?

mattscott306
Feb 15, 2007, 09:37 AM
Well crap, do I buy the MBP or the MB now...

DB2k
Feb 15, 2007, 09:38 AM
I guess I wasn't the only one that sent that in then!! :)

I thought the idea of MBs is that they were really portable.. this imo takes away rather than adds.

BenRoethig
Feb 15, 2007, 09:46 AM
Interesting. One wonders how this could affect the MBPs. I wonder how the average consumer will react...

They'll buy them of course. I expect this to take the place of the old 14" iBook. The 15 Macbook Pro and Macbook of the same size are different segments. Making consumers spend $2000 on a Macbook Pro to get a 15" screen only helps HP sell more Pavillion DV6000s.

Considering that the majority of laptops sold are 15" consumer models one would think so. The ultraportable segment is a niche segment, even within the Mac community.

CJD2112
Feb 15, 2007, 09:48 AM
yeah me too, a smaller MBP

i really don't see why Apple would release this. i would like to see it, but i doubt it will happen

Why would you want a smaller screen on a more expensive machine? It doesn't make sense...:confused:

mark88
Feb 15, 2007, 09:48 AM
The macbook has a large bezel. I think a 15.4" MacBook will be pretty big compared to the 15.4" MBP

CJD2112
Feb 15, 2007, 09:50 AM
Exactly - while opinions on this board may be different, I think that quite a few customers who purchase the 15.4" MBP buy it because of its screen size, not because of its power advantages.

Case in point: my mom purchased an MBP because she couldn't read the screen on the MB and she wanted a larger screen. She has no use for its graphical abilities, though...

Which market do you think is larger? The professionals who need a small computer with graphics, or the consumers who want a consumer, affordable, 15" screen computer?

EXACTLY

andiwm2003
Feb 15, 2007, 09:55 AM
the problem is be that the 15.4" macbook will cost around $1700 (the estimate is based on the black MB). and for $2000 you'll get a lot more bang for your buck on a MBP. so the price difference is probably to small to make it a success.

dernhelm
Feb 15, 2007, 09:55 AM

Heaven forbid that Apple do BOTH.

I have in the past predicted (wrongly, BTW) that Apple would merge their MBP and MB lines into machines that are otherwise identical, but differentiated by processor, RAM, FSB, graphics cards, etc. I thought that the high-end 17" could be left to the MBP alone line, and likewise, the MB line could have an ultra-portable 11" low-end machine, but the 15" and 13" machines could physically merge. I still wish they would consider this, but it appears that I'm off on this one for some reason.

Anyway, it appears Apple feels that there are good reasons to have their two portable lines have complete different architecture and design. It escapes me as to why they would want this, but they apparently do. Still, they could produce a 13" MBP and a 15" MB (even with their differing design) and I don't think they'd cannibalize anything by doing that.

BenRoethig
Feb 15, 2007, 09:59 AM

Having seen one for myself, the DV series HPs are very nice consumer laptops. the only major drawbacks I saw were the operating system and 4-pin unpowered firewire instead of the 6-pin powered kind.

Most when faced with the same situation won't be able to afford the Powerbook and will buy a windows laptop instead.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Feb 15, 2007, 10:01 AM
Heaven forbid that Apple do BOTH.

I have in the past predicted (wrongly, BTW) that Apple would merge their MBP and MB lines into machines that are otherwise identical, but differentiated by processor, RAM, FSB, graphics cards, etc. I thought that the high-end 17" could be left to the MBP alone line, and likewise, the MB line could have an ultra-portable 11" low-end machine, but the 15" and 13" machines could physically merge. I still wish they would consider this, but it appears that I'm off on this one for some reason.

Anyway, it appears Apple feels that there are good reasons to have their two portable lines have complete different architecture and design. It escapes me as to why they would want this, but they apparently do. Still, they could produce a 13" MBP and a 15" MB (even with their differing design) and I don't think they'd cannibalize anything by doing that.

I think Apple will cannabalize the 15" MBP with the introduction of the 15" Macbook - clearly, there are customers wanting to switch to Macs that need a 15" screen, and right now, the MBP is their only option. Obviously, Apple believes that the increase in sales will offset this canabalization.

In the case of the 12" ultraportable, the 12" Powerbook was always crippled compared to its 15" and 17" counterparts. This could be because it wasn't selling well, so Apple stopped putting R and D into it, or it could be because updates were technically too difficult. I'm betting one of these two reasons is why we still don't have a 12" MBP.

Gators Fan
Sounds like there's thought being given to creating a third tier of notebooks, a placeholder between the current MacBook (what I call the "McBook") and the MBP. The time may be right for such a thing.

I tried the MBP. Returned it and got a 20" iMac. Love it. Now I'm looking for a laptop. Nothing fancy ---I'm a writer and only a sometimes-graphics type--- so functionality and portability (along with realiability) are my greatest concerns. That said, I don't want to fall behind the curve and wind up with yesterday's technology.

If (and that's a big word) Apple releases a 15.4" McBook, I'll take a look, but I won't be wetting my pants over it. (It's a computer, not Nicole Kidman!) My price point for a laptop is $1500, including tax and the whistles and bells. If a new, larger McBook fits, I'll likely spring for it. However, if they continue with a companion 13-incher at a lower price (than current), I'd go that route, especially if they upgrade the video and ramp up the size of the HD. Sufficient bang for fewer bucks works for me.

If Apple wanted to put a the marketplace in a spin, they'd come out with a MacBook II at today's McBook prices, then roll back the price on the McBook ("Son of MacBook?") to the sub-$1,000 range. At $999, a white McBook with an 120GB HD at 2.0 gHz with 1GB of RAM would fly off the shelves!

ready2switch
Why would you want a smaller screen on a more expensive machine? It doesn't make sense...:confused:

There are many business people who prefer to have the smallest laptop available. The 12" dells fit well on folders, notepads, or other meeting documents. Plus they travel easier than the 15" laptops, which is a big advantage when traveling often by plane.

While the MacBook would probably be fine for most of these, many would prefer (and even need) the additional hardware found with the MBP. Any who fall into these 2 categories (travel + power) would want the smaller yet more expensive machine. While I find it hard to believe that they do much "heavy duty" work on the 12", I can see it being a necessity for professionals on the go.

That said, I agree with The Don Ditty. Apple is lacking in a few different places. I don't believe the addition of these "gap-fillers" will detract from the existing line, particularly if Apple updates the existing line with those "gap-fillers" in mind.

Don't be scared, there's room for everyone at Apple! :D

Zwhaler
Feb 15, 2007, 10:02 AM

Me too. A 13.3" MBP would sell much better than a 15.4 MacBook (more people want one)

AvSRoCkCO1067
Feb 15, 2007, 10:04 AM
Most when faced with the same situation won't be able to afford the Powerbook and will buy a windows laptop instead.

Exactly - let's talk about prices. Here's my guess...I guess, :D

13.3" MB (white) | $999 - $1099
13.3" MB (black) | $1199 - $1299
15" MB (white) | $1299-1399
15" MB (black) | $1499

12" MBP | $1699 (if it happened)
15" MBP | $1999
15" MBP | $2499
17" MBP | $2799

sikkinixx
The macbook has a large bezel. I think a 15.4" MacBook will be pretty big compared to the 15.4" MBP

most ppl don't care about that. In lecture halls at school, everyone has big ass dells and HPs and Compaqs and Acer and blah blah, hard;y anyone has a smaller laptop. Even the 13.3" dells look huge compared to my Macbook so size isn't a factor.

If Apple wants more people to buy their laptops, make an even cheaper one. $1k is still a lot for most people to throw down on a laptop especially when you can get a (crappy) HP one for like $500 bucks...

AvSRoCkCO1067
Me too. A 13.3" MBP would sell much better than a 15.4 MacBook (more people want one)

How do you know more people want one? The consumer portables (Macbooks) outsell the hell out of the professional portables.

With 15" being the most popular laptop screen size, I have no idea how you could say this...:confused: :confused: :confused:

BenRoethig
Feb 15, 2007, 10:06 AM
the problem is be that the 15.4" macbook will cost around $1700 (the estimate is based on the black MB). and for $2000 you'll get a lot more bang for your buck on a MBP. so the price difference is probably to small to make it a success.

I would expect it at $1499 max. Possibly replacing the $1299 13" model. Because of volume, the consumer 1280x800 15.4" panel is pretty inexpensive. It might actually be cheaper to produce a 15" Macbook than the 13" model.

BenRoethig
Feb 15, 2007, 10:09 AM

15" MB (black) | $1499

15" MBP | $1999
15" MBP | $2499
17" MBP | $2799

Works for me expect I would make black a standard option.

Zadillo
Feb 15, 2007, 10:09 AM

Because there are people who want pro-level features, while also having maximum portability?

The MacBook is great as a consumer machine, but it lacks dedicated graphics, an ExpressCard slot, etc. etc. But at the same time, some people want maximum portability, and a 15.4" laptop doesn't always fit that bill.

In some cases, people also want just maximum portability and premium materials; this is the idea behind something like the Sony Vaio TX series (which is under 3 pounds, features LED backlit screen and carbon fibre casing).

The Sony Vaio SZ is a good example though of what some people might be looking for. This is also a premium laptop featuring LED backlighting, a 13.3" screen, and only 3.7 pounds, while also offering dedicated graphics (and the ability to switch to integrated graphics to extend battery life).

The IBM ThinkPad X60 is another example of this. Plenty of other companies also have professional models that are ultrathin, light, etc.

Even Apple used to make the 12" PowerBook G4, which they don't have any equivalent to currently.

A larger screen isn't always what everyone needs. By that logic, one might ask why anyone settles for a 15.4" MBP when they could get a 17" one instead.

MacRumorUser
Feb 15, 2007, 10:15 AM
how about they sort out the many flaws with the current macbook before messing around with another model.

sort out the HDD's crapping out due to over heat,
sort out the poor ventilation resulting in the above,
sort out how horrid looking the black macbook becomes after a month of use by giving us better designed trackpad
get rid of the damned G950 and give us GMA3000 (minimum)

:rolleyes: I'm already on my 2nd major fault with my macbook black, and i'm just waiting for a third so I can get a full refund and buy a macbook pro instead.

Worst apple laptop I've ever bought.

Lord Blackadder
Feb 15, 2007, 10:16 AM

I've never seen a $500 laptop that wasn't *****...I wouldn't like to see Apple make a $500 laptop.

I agree that a 12" MBP would be better.

Oh, and Apple, if you do come out with a 15" MacBook, put a Geforce 7300 or Radeon X1300 in it.

CJD2112
Feb 15, 2007, 10:19 AM
the problem is be that the 15.4" macbook will cost around $1700 (the estimate is based on the black MB).

How do you figure?:confused:

Zadillo
how about they sort out the many flaws with the current macbook before messing around with another model.

sort out the HDD's crapping out due to over heat,
sort out the poor ventilation resulting in the above,
sort out how horrid looking the black macbook becomes after a month of use by giving us better designed trackpad
get rid of the damned G950 and give us GMA3000 (minimum)

:rolleyes: I'm already on my 2nd major fault with my macbook black, and i'm just waiting for a third so I can get a full refund and buy a macbook pro instead.

Worst apple laptop I've ever bought.

For what it's worth, the GMA3000 has only just started appearing (personally I haven't even seen that many laptops using it yet, just a few Gateway desktops). From the tone of your post, it makes it sound like Apple is dropping the ball by still using the GMA950, and I don't think that's really fair considering most every other PC laptop in the same price range uses that part (well, not the $1500 price range, but that's different).

Regarding the trackpad on the blackbook, I am not sure what Apple could do there really. Most every laptop I know of that uses a black trackpad ends up with similar "wear" issues.

-Zadillo

xli_ne

15" MB (black) | $1499

15" MBP | $1999
15" MBP | $2499
17" MBP | $2799

That looks good. Except my resell value of my c2d Macbook would take a huge hit.

Ultimatetone
Feb 15, 2007, 10:21 AM
-
A 15.4 MacBook would be a better value if they also -

made BLACK a no-fee option
rolled-out the rumored LED displays
added the rumored faster-booting flash design as well.

Two of these features potentially could increase the battery life (hours).

Ultimatetone

CJD2112
Feb 15, 2007, 10:21 AM
Don't be scared, there's room for everyone at Apple! :D

lol exactly :cool:

mtrctyjoe
Feb 15, 2007, 10:23 AM

Agreed !!! My boss would not pay $1999 for a 15.4 screen (nor would I!!)... so he bought a Leveno... MacBook was just too small for him. Everyone on this site is Hardcore MAC .. so ofcourse all the posts are going to have people whinning about more Pro options.... Apple will always sell to these people... Apple needs to start selling to peple like my boss!! They need a competitive 15.4 Lap Top....

Zukum
Feb 15, 2007, 10:28 AM
I'm looking for a black 13 or 15.4" MBP with possibly a faster processor...some have suggested 2.66ghz and led backlit displays....the whole point of the mbp isn't necessarily portability but pure processing power. It's meant to be a powerhouse. If they pack everything into something smaller, they will most likely have the heat issues again along with plenty of other problems. I bought a $2700 gift card to the apple store in hopes that I would have a better MBP by march or april and I'm definitely not wasting it on a 12" if I'm looking to do photo and movie editing. I'm a media major (photoshop, illustrator, final cut, after fx, dreamweaver, flash, maya) I use them all.

I'm glad to have another consumer line option. All I'd get for the extra $700-$1200 on a MBP is a fancy aluminum case, the independent graphics card and a larger screen. According to macrumors.com, the independent graphics card only helps with 3D gaming (not Mac's forte, yet) or 3D pro aps (not Final Cut, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash, etc- see http://guides.macrumors.com/Buying_a_MacBook_versus_MacBook_Pro). So I'd end up spending twice the price of a Macbook for 2" of screen and the aluminum facade.

As a sidenote, I'm not a pro, and don't use the other software you mentioned above. For all I know, you would benefite from the independent graphics card. However, I'll bet 90% of the people in this forum who are disheartened to not have a new MBP have too much money in their pockets to burn and only care about being seen in public with the aluminum case.

volvoben
Feb 15, 2007, 10:35 AM
This would definitely be good news. There are plenty of computer users who look at apple laptops, see that you have to spend $2k+ just to get a decent sized screen and walk away. These users don't post on MR forums, they just need a computer for basic tasks. MacOS would be great for them, they can't screw it up with malware etc, no viruses to worry about and they can do all they need to (and more) with the applications already installed.

Will it eat some MBP sales? sure! Will Apple sell more and still make a good profit margin on them (probably no different margin than the MBP)? sure!

Pros and those who need better graphics etc will buy a MBP, those who don't will buy a MB 15", apple will sell more laptops, improve market share and profit.

I'll admit I would like to see a smaller ~12 MBP more, but i'm not the average mac user, and neither are 75% of people even reading this.

Overall I thought apple had a good lineup with their 2 ibooks and 3 powerbooks. Adding a larger screen MacBook is half the difference, and a small MBP would bring the line to reasonably meet 90+% of any users needs.
People who need a super-rugged (panasonic toughbook type) laptop, or a tablet really aren't profitable segments for Apple at this point.

Now if we could fill in a few holes in the desktop line (an affordable mini that's designed for budget with inexpensive desktop components for $500, something ANYTHING between the mini and Mac Pro-even a downgraded Mac Pro, just something ~1500) complaints about Apple's hardware selection discouraging new users would really decline.

nagromme
Feb 15, 2007, 10:37 AM
Just a thought: Apple could add a 15" consumer MB... and STILL add new MB Pro models too. The existence of a new consumer model does nothing to dash the hopes of professionals.

If there is demand for a 15" MB (I can't say, but the bulky 14" iBook sold well) then why should it bother people to have that demand met?

I want a 9" aluminum ultrathin with 128 VRAM, but a new consumer machine I don't want doesn't hurt my chances of getting what I do want.

(Note: nobody "wants a smaller screen on a pro machine"... they want a smaller pro machine! Physics dictates that the screen cannot be larger than the machine :) )

BenRoethig
Feb 15, 2007, 10:38 AM
I've never seen a $500 laptop that wasn't *****...I wouldn't like to see Apple make a $500 laptop.

I have. I wouldn't touch Dell or Gateway with a 10-foot pole, but the new HPs are really nice.

2ndPath
Feb 15, 2007, 10:42 AM

As it has already been mentioned by others: Portability.

And as you are talking about the price, small PC laptops are often more expensive than the larger models of the same manufacturers. They are kind of a premium segment of the laptop market. Only Apple seem to strictly follow the rule: Smaller machine -> Cheaper price.

Laptops can be significantly smaller than what Apple currently offer. Reduce the size to something like 12" and make it thinner. A lot of space in the machine could be gained by removing the optical drive. I don't know about the majority of people but I rarely ever use my optical drive. And if I do, it is usually to install something or make a backup. This is always at my desk, where I could just as well use an external drive. So having the option for a laptop without optical drive would be great.

Anklosaur

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Yes, there is a place for a MBP that starts @ ~$2,000. I'll even grant that there's a market, albeit smaller than most think, for a 12" MBP (I wager around $1,800, if not higher). But I think there are a lot more people like me... with a couple of kids who need good solid laptops with 15" screens to see them through the last year or 2 of high school and into college, but are no where near being able to come up with $2,000+ for each one. If there were a 15" MB (or a cheaper MBP) There'd be 2 more sales for Apple today. Instead, we'll continue to limp by with what we've got for a couple more months on the off chance something new is in the wings. I wager Apple could sell twice as many 15" MB as 12" MBP.

QCassidy352
when the macbooks were first introduced last may, I wrote many times that there should be both a small MBP and a large MB. There's simply no reason to think that "pro" users want only large screens and "consumer" users want only small screens. I think that the 17" should stay "pro" only, but I'd really like to see both a 12" MBP and a 15" MB. It's not one or the other - there's a market for both.

briantology
I have been thinking about a 15.4" MB lately because I don't really like the MBP keys and feel of the trackpad (it's kinda weird I know), and I don't like the 13.3" screen size of the MB. So a 15.4" MB (black, I like the smoothness) would make me happier than a kid at Chuck-E-Cheese.

moodipaper
Feb 15, 2007, 10:47 AM

I hear you, brother. Makes perfect sense to me.

Zukum
Feb 15, 2007, 10:51 AM
Anybody think they might implement the "ultra-thin" technology in this 15" Macbook?

mandoman
Feb 15, 2007, 10:54 AM
There is a market for this. My wife wants a larger screen than the MB but
doesn't need all the power of a pro. I say, bring 'em on!

Some_Big_Spoon
Feb 15, 2007, 10:54 AM
Smaller, not bigger... what's so difficult about this? Not everyone wants to cut a film on the plane.

ChrisA
Feb 15, 2007, 10:59 AM

No, as nice as the MBP is, they are not selling as well as the MB due to price. But people's main complaint about the MB and the reason I will not buy one is the screen. It is to small and lacks an anti-glare coating.

If Apple could have a MB that would sell at a competitive price and have a full size screen it would sell well. But the current line up offers a choise between a very expensive or very small notebook and no "mainstream" model. Looks like they are fixing this

iJawn108
Feb 15, 2007, 10:59 AM
I won't regret not waiting. I wouldn't want anything larger than the 13 inch of the current macbook.

Digital Skunk
Feb 15, 2007, 11:02 AM
There is no need for a 15 inch MB... no one wants something that heavy and it isn't Apples motif. It would work better if Apple made a 14.4" or something. With the lack of a 12" widescreen book there would be no need for a 15"

Besides, what will it have over the 13.3 screen besides a larger screen? It it added a larger processor and cost $1500 then it would squeeze in between top white and black MacBooks. Errr:confused: :confused: I just don't see where it fits into Apple's line up. And with the 15"MBP offering a lot more than the MacBooks, I think it is a good deal at $2000.

If Apple made a 14.? inch screen for the MacBooks and a 12.? icnh widescreen for the MacBook Pros I think they would fill their lineup much better.

ncbill
Feb 15, 2007, 11:07 AM
I want the 12" MacBook (pro or not)

The current MacBook (yes, I've got one) is way big for those of us used to the 12" Aluminum Powerbook, especially if you do any real travelling.

I love the thinness of the MacBook, but it still feels too tall and too wide.

I've used a 12" widescreen Dell and it "felt" fine (IIRC, it was similar in dimensions to the Powerbook, only about 1.5cm wider)

Easily-replacable hard drive would be a plus (as with the MacBook)

Hopefully they'll improve the freakish keyboard (what's with all the space between the keys) and relatively insensitive trackpad button (must click squarely in the middle or it doesn't register) that the MacBook is plagued with currently.

mashinhead
Feb 15, 2007, 11:09 AM

15" MB (black) | $1499

15" MBP | $1999
15" MBP | $2499
17" MBP | $2799

Jeez, i thought apple was about simplicity. With that lineup and price structure, and the overlap in features, i would have a hard time deciding what to buy. Unless your on the ends your gonna be thinking a lot before you buy.

BigPrince
Feb 15, 2007, 11:18 AM
This has to be a JOKE, at least in my case. I so desperately want a MATTE SMALLER screen not bigger :(.

BornAgainMac
Feb 15, 2007, 11:21 AM
I bet Apple makes more profit on the consumer laptops. And with the upgrades. The bigger screen will be good for the older demographic that doesn't need a graphics card in their laptop for games and want to spend less.

Digital Skunk
Feb 15, 2007, 11:25 AM
No, as nice as the MBP is, they are not selling as well as the MB due to price. But people's main complaint about the MB and the reason I will not buy one is the screen. It is to small and lacks an anti-glare coating.

If Apple could have a MB that would sell at a competitive price and have a full size screen it would sell well. But the current line up offers a choise between a very expensive or very small notebook and no "mainstream" model. Looks like they are fixing this

The MBP are selling welll. They aren't selling as well as the MBs because the MBs are for consumers and everyone wants one. I don't think too many people are complaining about glossy screen.... I used too... and it is very easy to get used to them and they don't reflect as many people tend to think. The 13.3 inch screen is a bit small and tighter on the height end than the 12" powerbook that i use every now and then, but the screen is of a good size.

I can see why some people would want a larger screen on the book, but what else are you gaining over the screen? And is that worth adding the possible $300 - $500 and a pound or so of weight. I have a 15" MBP and it isn't that heavy but my girlfriend's 12" PowerBook is light and powerful and weighs nothing compared to my MBP. Smaller is the way to go. If you need a larger screen then the 15" is more expensive and a bit too powerful for some, but is well worth the price. And for those that think it is too powerful, remember that that power will become standard in future model MBs so the MBP you have now will last you that much longer. :D

Maccus Aurelius
Feb 15, 2007, 11:27 AM
15" macbooks could never really cannibalize the sales of MBP's. Pros that require a computer with an express slot, higher RAM support and a dedicated GPU that can support larger cinema displays will still go for the pro. When I purchase my next Mac laptop, these are the things I'll need, the size of the on-board display is not as big a deal to me since I find the size of the MB's 13" pretty decent. I live with mine just fine, but I want to get a pro machine as an upgrade, not the same consumer laptop with a larger screen.

uNext
Feb 15, 2007, 11:28 AM
Apple should jump into the 600-800 laptop market.

So that we have a harder time deciding between computers.

I personally feel like apple have an excellent pricing structure going on.
They appeal to the middle class and high class only.

Wheres the 500 laptop man? we poor people count 2

Superdrive
Feb 15, 2007, 11:29 AM
I want the 12" MacBook (pro or not)

The current MacBook (yes, I've got one) is way big for those of us used to the 12" Aluminum Powerbook, especially if you do any real travelling.

This is exactly the way I feel. I've held off on buying a MacBook simply because after using my sister's, it still doesn't compare to the 12" Al in portability. A 12" MacBook, pro or not, is what we want. (The preceding does not say we do not want a 15" MB. We'd just like a 12" MB more.)

Edit:
In reply to those that want a low-end laptop, the thing with Apples is that you get a computer you can hold onto and use for a while. The $500 machines are typically crippled in one way or another that won't be nearly as future proofed. Plus it would kill resale on existing machines.

freddiecable
Feb 15, 2007, 11:30 AM
agree with you! better with a smaller footprint MB/MBP (12" widescreen)

Digital Skunk
Feb 15, 2007, 11:32 AM
when the macbooks were first introduced last may, I wrote many times that there should be both a small MBP and a large MB. There's simply no reason to think that "pro" users want only large screens and "consumer" users want only small screens. I think that the 17" should stay "pro" only, but I'd really like to see both a 12" MBP and a 15" MB. It's not one or the other - there's a market for both.

This seems more likely. I agree with everything:D I just see a widescreen 14.? inch instead of 15 inches.

I don't know.... something like that

iPhil
Feb 15, 2007, 11:35 AM

15" MB (black) | $1499

15" MBP | $1999
15" MBP | $2499
17" MBP | $2799

I don't think the price scale that your guess is ..

And I don't think that :apple: will make 12"MBP or a 15"MB ..

:apple: got away from the Multi-Price scheme e.g. G4 PPC line they had 12"/14" iBook and 12"/15"/17" PB line .. The price difference between 14"iBook and 12" PB was so slim..

Now :apple: has price gap between the lines .. i think this scheme will work for a while

siriusbeat
Feb 15, 2007, 11:41 AM
My personal feeling on the 15.4" MB is that this is a great competitive move on Apple's part for couple of reasons. First, all Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. laptops all come in the 15.4" size, so this will finally give Apple a comparable model in terms of size and specs, assuming they keep the price reasonable (there aren't too many consumer oriented Windows laptops that start at $2000 like the MBP). Second, this model will certainly appeal to certain demographic groups that look at the 13.3" MB screen and say "it's too small, I can't read it". I can tell you right now that it would be very difficult to get my 62 year-old father to buy a 13.3" MB when there are Windows laptops with larger screens for quite a bit less money.

Apple needs to offer comparable products at similar prices and then continue promote the advantages of OS X and the whole Apple experience.

Digital Skunk
Feb 15, 2007, 11:42 AM
I don't think the price scale that your guess is ..

And I don't think that :apple: will make 12"MBP or a 15"MB ..

:apple: got away from the Multi-Price scheme e.g. G4 PPC line they had 12"/14" iBook and 12"/15"/17" PB line .. The price difference between 14"iBook and 12" PB was so slim..

Now :apple: has price gap between the lines .. i think this scheme will work for a while

Agreed! :D I always loved the PC G4 laptop line. But I thought the 12" iBook and the 12"PB were always in competition with each other. My girlfriend debated over the two machines for months before she bought the powerbook. She decided that the book would last a lot longer than the 1.33Ghz iBook. Her 1.5Ghz PowerBook is still kicking strong running photoshop and illustrator. She didn't like the $500 price increase though. And it was a bit more confusing for her with the 14" iBook at the same price.

japasneezemonk
Feb 15, 2007, 11:44 AM

I'm poor and have 3 Macs. So i guess Apple appeals to all markets.

2ndPath
Feb 15, 2007, 11:51 AM

So have you been poor before you had 3 Macs?

iPhil
Feb 15, 2007, 11:52 AM
Agreed! :D I always loved the PC G4 laptop line. But I thought the 12" iBook and the 12"PB were always in competition with each other. My girlfriend debated over the two machines for months before she bought the powerbook. She decided that the book would last a lot longer than the 1.33Ghz iBook. Her 1.5Ghz PowerBook is still kicking strong running photoshop and illustrator. She didn't like the $500 price increase though. And it was a bit more confusing for her with the 14" iBook at the same price.

Thanks for that ..

The 13.3" Mac book is a 16:10 screen already .. the screen is shorter in height but wider in width :D

So no need for your idea of an 14.4" Mac book

koobcamuk
Feb 15, 2007, 11:55 AM
I would love a 12" MBP or similar. Something small, light and powerful. As a companion to a larger desktop machine or to a large screen.

A large MB does nothing for me. Why do people want to lug around 15" laptops? If the resolution is the same then this is a no brainer. Literally.

WRXHokie
Feb 15, 2007, 11:56 AM
Upgrade the crappy video card in the MacBooks and i'll consider them.

Graefe
Feb 15, 2007, 12:03 PM
But people's main complaint about the MB and the reason I will not buy one is the screen. It is to small and lacks an anti-glare coating.

I know some people who would buy a MB - if it hadn't that glossy screen. Apple should at least offer an anti-glare option.

Graefe

~Shard~
Feb 15, 2007, 12:09 PM
If this is indeed true I'll be curious to see what the specs and price point are on this bad boy. My wife was thinking about buying a new MacBook Pro once Leopard and iLife 07 were released (along with a general refresh to the line), primarily for the 15" screen. If there is a 15" option in the MacBook that might be better suited for our needs since we don't need some of the MBP's "pro" features... :cool:

R303blue
Feb 15, 2007, 12:22 PM
most ppl don't care about that. In lecture halls at school, everyone has big ass dells and HPs and Compaqs and Acer and blah blah, hard;y anyone has a smaller laptop. Even the 13.3" dells look huge compared to my Macbook so size isn't a factor.

If Apple wants more people to buy their laptops, make an even cheaper one. $1k is still a lot for most people to throw down on a laptop especially when you can get a (crappy) HP one for like $500 bucks...

Don't you think the large bezel gives Apple almost the amount of space they need to plop a larger screen in it, significantly reducing that bezel (like they would do with PB's bezel for bigger screens)? They may need to do some slight resizing to the whole thing, but not much internally. I think if they come out with a 15", what's the point in keeping the 13"? I have a 13" MB and it's great, but the height is left to be desired. Would be nice to have the 15", then the MBPs, and perhaps a 11" MB for ultraportability (more like a Mini's specs to fit, and would be a nice price!).

Veracon
Feb 15, 2007, 12:27 PM
I'd rather see a smaller MBP or an "inbetween" MacBook (14.1" maybe), but this will do for me. If it's true, I won't be buying a 13.3" MB after all. :p

~Shard~
Feb 15, 2007, 12:28 PM
Upgrade the crappy video card in the MacBooks and i'll consider them.

The MacBook doesn't have a video card, it has an integrated graphics chip. :rolleyes:

eastcoastsurfer
Feb 15, 2007, 12:42 PM
Even if apple adds a 15" MB, it still won't compete with a $500 laptop. The $500 laptop and the any of the MBs or MBPs are completely different markets.

EngBrian
Feb 15, 2007, 12:44 PM
One of the things holding me back from a macbook is the 13" size (too small for me). I am not hopping around the world with a laptop under my arm so i don't mind a little extra size. The 15" real estate would be nice but I don't need the Pro features in a laptop and I certainly don't need the extra hit on the wallet.

If this ever happens it would be a laptop i would buy.

operator
Feb 15, 2007, 12:44 PM
Ugh.. I hope this is not true. I want a small MBP way more. THis is like going back to the old 12" and 14" iBooks. The 14" iBook was the worst choice of all the portables.

Feb 15, 2007, 12:45 PM

Ditto...Digitimes is as reliable as MOSR...nothing more. Besides, it would make MUCH more sense for Apple to release a C2D 12" MBP, instead of creating more confusion between a 15" MB and a 15" MBP...

My vote? This rumor is TOTALLY BOGUS.

ready2switch
Feb 15, 2007, 12:59 PM
Apple should jump into the 600-800 laptop market.

So that we have a harder time deciding between computers.

Nothing against the financially challenged, but as others have said, you are getting what you pay for with the $500 laptops. If you take that same $500 laptop and customize it with the same or equivalent specs/parts as Apple offers, you will find that your price is usually within $100 (either higher or lower) of Apple's price point.

Now, I'm not saying that those without funds don't deserve to own a Mac. Everyone deserves to own a Mac. But anyone buying a Mac can usually rest assured that they are getting a quality machine. By dipping into the lower price range, your Apple purchase no longer has that kind of guarantee.

Just to illustrate, consider buying an engagement ring. A diamond is a diamond, chemically (or whatever) speaking, right? But almost everyone knows that there are different levels of quality when talking diamonds. You may be able to buy your diamond for $300 from any discount jeweler, but what quality are you getting? However, those who know nothing about diamonds can walk into Tiffany's and feel assured that what they buy will be quality. Granted, you will spend more in Tiffany's, but you will also know exactly what you walk away with.

:D

thejadedmonkey
Feb 15, 2007, 01:15 PM
Regarding the trackpad on the blackbook, I am not sure what Apple could do there really. Most every laptop I know of that uses a black trackpad ends up with similar "wear" issues.
-Zadillo

I have a dark grey one and I never had this problem. I think my black dell trackpad may have had it.. but never as bad as the black MB does.

Data
Feb 15, 2007, 01:16 PM

I agree on you there, for me personaly i'd rather see a 13 " MBP instead , but i guess that will not come otherwise it would have been here already.

Anklosaur
Feb 15, 2007, 01:18 PM
....And with the 15"MBP offering a lot more than the MacBooks, I think it is a good deal at $2000.

I have no quibble with how good a deal the MBP is at $2,000, but there are a ton of people who simply cannot afford $2,000. It wouldn't matter if Apple sold a $2,000 17", or whatever... there are LARGE numbers of potential customers who want 15" and can't afford 2 grand to get it, no matter how cool, feature packed or powerful.

mikeinternet
Feb 15, 2007, 01:24 PM

i agree. or go even smaller. maybe 10".

Eidorian
Feb 15, 2007, 01:41 PM
For what it's worth, the GMA3000 has only just started appearing (personally I haven't even seen that many laptops using it yet, just a few Gateway desktops). From the tone of your post, it makes it sound like Apple is dropping the ball by still using the GMA950, and I don't think that's really fair considering most every other PC laptop in the same price range uses that part (well, not the $1500 price range, but that's different). -Zadillohttp://guides.macrumors.com/GMA_X3000

http://guides.macrumors.com/Merom

Beating a dead horse again.
I have. I wouldn't touch Dell or Gateway with a 10-foot pole, but the new HPs are really nice.I can agree to that. The cheapo Compaq/HP laptops have a nice build quality. The NVIDIA GeForce 6100 gives decent performance with 1 GB of RAM. On the Windows side I've had users run Sims 2 just fine with it. Now if they just didn't come with so much crapware. Expect a X700 based integrated solution to show up from ATi soon. I don't know what NVIDIA's future plans are. It might be a mobile variant of the GeForce 7100. (Not 7 series derived. :rolleyes: )

acearchie
Feb 15, 2007, 01:51 PM
If apples listening (which it sadly never does), forget about this MBP 15.4" but with less capabilities and get a 12" macbook or macbook pro!

You have a guarenteed buyer right here!!!!!!

name your price! Done deal!

eastcoastsurfer
Feb 15, 2007, 01:52 PM
Just to illustrate, consider buying an engagement ring. A diamond is a diamond, chemically (or whatever) speaking, right? But almost everyone knows that there are different levels of quality when talking diamonds. You may be able to buy your diamond for $300 from any discount jeweler, but what quality are you getting? However, those who know nothing about diamonds can walk into Tiffany's and feel assured that what they buy will be quality. Granted, you will spend more in Tiffany's, but you will also know exactly what you walk away with.

:D

I understand your point, but diamonds are terrible example. They are only expensive b/c of artificial limits put on supply, and are generally a waste of money which I don't think paying a bit more for an Apple equates to.

Zadillo
Feb 15, 2007, 02:05 PM
http://guides.macrumors.com/GMA_X3000

http://guides.macrumors.com/Merom

Beating a dead horse again.
I can agree to that. The cheapo Compaq/HP laptops have a nice build quality. The NVIDIA GeForce 6100 gives decent performance with 1 GB of RAM. On the Windows side I've had users run Sims 2 just fine with it. Now if they just didn't come with so much crapware. Expect a X700 based integrated solution to show up from ATi soon. I don't know what NVIDIA's future plans are. It might be a mobile variant of the GeForce 7100. (Not 7 series derived. :rolleyes: )

I don't get it, why did you give me the link to the pages about X3000 and Merom? I know what it is. I was simply saying that the GMAX3000 stuff hasn't started actually showing up in many laptops yet, so it seems unfair to criticize Apple for not having switched the MacBook to them yet.

Gosh
Feb 15, 2007, 02:06 PM
I was surprised at first by this rumour but now it seems both credible and obvious.

There is a queue of new tech waiting for a new 15.4" MBP - even if the suggested 15.4" MB is virually the same spec as the current "regular" MBP there could be sufficient differentiation to justify a premium for the Pro!

We live in exciting times! A 15.4" MB also means a new 15.4" MBP.

Those who want to see a 12" MBP need to start some kind of online petition so Apple get and idea of demand.

AndyR
Feb 15, 2007, 02:07 PM
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17227

If this is true that is going to be great news! I'd buy one in a heartbeat :D

Go :apple:

COOL! My post made it to the front page.. YEAH :D

I feel privileged. Can I get a prize :rolleyes:

Eidorian
Feb 15, 2007, 02:07 PM
I don't get it, why did you give me the link to the pages about X3000 and Merom? I know what it is. I was simply saying that the GMAX3000 stuff hasn't started actually showing up in many laptops yet, so it seems unfair to criticize Apple for not having switched the MacBook to them yet.You're NOT going to find th GMA X3000 in ANY LAPTOPS right now. The Santa Rosa platform isn't even out.

Telp
Feb 15, 2007, 02:08 PM
If apples listening (which it sadly never does), forget about this MBP 15.4" but with less capabilities and get a 12" macbook or macbook pro!

You have a guarenteed buyer right here!!!!!!

name your price! Done deal!

To introduce a 15.4" MPB, it will make the the macpros look better to the consumer who doesnt necessarily want the MBP. On the other hand, whos to say it will have less capabilities seeing as otherwise, they would just make a 15.4" MB.

rtdunham
Feb 15, 2007, 02:13 PM
...All I'd get for the extra $700-$1200 on a MBP is a fancy aluminum case, the independent graphics card and a larger screen.

You overlooked firewire 800, the illuminated keyboard, and the express card slot. Each of those features has real value to me and to many users, and that's not an exclusive list of the features that excel on the MBP.

legacyb4
Feb 15, 2007, 02:13 PM
I just bought a black MacBook and love every aspect of it except the sharp edges around the bottom half. I do wish it had slightly higher pixel density although I'm not sure the next step up to 1,440 would be usable in a day to day situation.

Surprisingly, the 13.3" size factor is better than I expected (coming from a 12 inch PB); weight isn't to excessive and the 13.3" fits comfortably in a regular size backpack.

Zadillo
Feb 15, 2007, 02:14 PM
You're NOT going to find th GMA X3000 in ANY LAPTOPS right now. The Santa Rosa platform isn't even out.

Ahh, ok, gotcha. Yeah, that would explain why the only thing I've even it in is desktops from Gateway.

Eidorian
Feb 15, 2007, 02:15 PM
Ahh, ok, gotcha. Yeah, that would explain why the only thing I've even it in is desktops from Gateway.Exactly, the 965 chipset that can include the GMA 3000/X3000 is only on desktop motherboards right now. :D

~Shard~
Feb 15, 2007, 02:18 PM
I feel privileged. Can I get a prize :rolleyes:

Get in line, you're nowhere near the first... :p :cool:

Oblivious
Feb 15, 2007, 02:19 PM
Like many others have stated, I think a 13.3" MacBook Pro would be more appealing.:cool:

Telp
Feb 15, 2007, 02:23 PM
Like many others have stated, I think a 13.3" MacBook Pro would be more appealing.:cool:

that would be pointless

~Shard~
Feb 15, 2007, 02:31 PM
that would be pointless

I think the likelihood of a 13" MBP is low as well, however keep in mind people said the exact same thing when the first 12" PowerBook rumors started surfacing. :p ;) :cool:

Anklosaur
Feb 15, 2007, 02:39 PM
You overlooked firewire 800, the illuminated keyboard, and the express card slot. Each of those features has real value to me and to many users, and that's not an exclusive list of the features that excel on the MBP.

I keep seeing this...

But the MBP is SUCH a great deal... it's got all these cool features... it's worth every penny of it's price!!!@!11!

And you're all absolutely right....

But the point I keep trying to make is, if someone has a budget of $1,500 to $1,700 and no more, it doesn't matter how feature rich or good a deal the $2,000 MBP is... they're NOT GONNA BUY IT! And if that someone is just not down with a 12 or 13" screen, they're out of luck with Apple unless they're willing to make due at the refurb store.

kwikdeth
Feb 15, 2007, 02:45 PM
i think if anything, apple might transition the black macbook to a 15.4 inch form factor, and leave the white versions as 13"... it would probably cease all those complaints of paying a premium just for a color.

as it is right now, there is a rather large gap in the pricing, so if anything, i could see apple charging like 100 more for a 15.4" macbook...

dukebound85
Feb 15, 2007, 02:49 PM

yea but if you dont need those features, why pay the additional 300? to some people, 300 is a significant chunk of change

coday182
Feb 15, 2007, 02:52 PM
I think this would be a good idea as I can't afford a MBP but I would like more screen real estate and better graphics then the current macbooks can offer.

Oh yeah... I'm not nearly as tech savy as most of you guys, but wouldn't it be kinda hard to pack all the power of a MBP into an ultraportable? My guess is that the performance would severly decrease. Then again I guess that the idea. Trading performance for portability.

Data
Feb 15, 2007, 02:52 PM
that would be pointless

Speak for your self, i and many others with me wan't one ;-). 15.4 is just to big.

Telp
Feb 15, 2007, 02:54 PM
yea but if you dont need those features, why pay the additional 300? to some people, 300 is a significant chunk of change

Which is why they would get a MB

BenRoethig
Feb 15, 2007, 03:04 PM

No, they would get an HP instead and stick with windows. I love my ibook, but using it as my sole computer would give me headaches.

Telp
Feb 15, 2007, 03:07 PM
No, they would get an HP instead and stick with windows. I love my ibook, but using it as my sole computer would give me headaches.

If its a mac fan, then they sure as hell arent going to get an HP, and if they are deciding to go to apple for the first time, then they have more sence to get an HP

ppnkg
Feb 15, 2007, 03:12 PM

very well said!

Maccus Aurelius
Feb 15, 2007, 03:22 PM
I don't see why a 13" Macbook Pro would be pointless. Obviously, it will fall between the base 15" MBP and the black macbook as standard across the board, so why is it pointless? The price after building a BTO machine doesn't count, since I could very well spec a blackbook to top out the price of a base model macbook pro. At the same time a smaller lighter MBP would be very appealing. I'd definitely buy one over the 15-17", because truthfully, 17" displays are not that great for doing the heavy graphics work that macbook pros were designed for anyway, and with the dedicated GPU across the board, I can expand the real estate with a 30" display of my choosing, a feature the consumer level macbook doesn't have. I'll bet a 13" pro would have great sales, and people will still buy consumer level macbooks and full sized macbook pros.

I want a pro level mini dangit!

Telp
Feb 15, 2007, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by bbydon

Thats true, but the thing is Apple isnt in it for just the everyday person. They are in it for the people that want more for their buck, and a snazzy lookin computer too

dukebound85
Feb 15, 2007, 03:38 PM

well what if they wanted a 15in screen. some people will pay for that since they MAY need it but not all the graphics. so why pay 300 more for stuff you dont need? jeeze is it so hard to understand i swear

flir67
Feb 15, 2007, 03:39 PM

buying a apple is still considered a investment not just a computer purchase.

buying a pc is not a investment hence 499.00 laptops... that break after 1 day.

Telp
Feb 15, 2007, 03:40 PM
well what if they wanted a 15in screen. some people will pay for that since they MAY need it but not all the graphics. so why pay 300 more for stuff you dont need? jeeze is it so hard to understand i swear

well what do you want apple to do? make every different kind of laptop with all the different specs that people want? its impossible. No matter what, someone is going to be unhappy, all apple can do is make that at a minimum of upsetness and not overdo it.

Telp
Feb 15, 2007, 03:41 PM
buying a apple is still considered a investment not just a computer purchase.

buying a pc is not a investment hence 499.00 laptops... that break after 1 day.

amen brotha

whatever
Feb 15, 2007, 03:47 PM
The current sales of MacBooks are excellent and Apple will not be changing or adding to this line anytime soon (beyond speed bumps). The size is perfect for the target market.

However, expect a redesigned MacBook Pro very soon (this quarter).

There will be three screen sizes offered with the largest being 17" and a keyboard similar to the MacBook.

One thing that was learned was not to release a consumer laptop that is the same size or too similar to a pro laptop (the 12" iBook and Powerbook). In the end the two machines cannibalized each other (with the 12" iBook actually selling slightly better).

casik
Feb 15, 2007, 03:48 PM

sure 13.3" sounds small, but in comparison to a 15.4" win based comp i would still take the 13.3" Keep in mind apple does a wicked job of keeping your screen clean with only what you need... that extra 2" on a windows machine is meant for all the clutter they can't get rid of. cough.... 1 toolbar compared to 10.

Eidorian
Feb 15, 2007, 03:50 PM
sure 13.3" sounds small, but in comparison to a 15.4" win based comp i would still take the 13.3" Keep in mind apple does a wicked job of keeping your screen clean with only what you need... that extra 2" on a windows machine is meant for all the clutter they can't get rid of. cough.... 1 toolbar compared to 10.Remind me how a 13.3" screen at 1280 x 800 and a 15.4" screen at the same resolution (ignore pixel density) are so different?

Seriously, what does the operating system have to do with the screen?

dukebound85
Feb 15, 2007, 03:53 PM
well what do you want apple to do? make every different kind of laptop with all the different specs that people want? its impossible. No matter what, someone is going to be unhappy, all apple can do is make that at a minimum of upsetness and not overdo it.

no as it has been pointed out, every other computer maker makes a cheap 15 in. and since this rumor is the topic of the post, how is it not a bad idea to offer the macbooks power with a larger screen. i know i would have gotten it in a heartbeat since i find 13.3 in is kinda small for pretty much everything when i am at home.

try having multiple word documents open, excel, itunes and you will know what im talking about. and as you can tell doing word, cad or any other thing does not need a gpu... but having a larger screen would be nice

Telp
Feb 15, 2007, 03:55 PM
Remind me how a 13.3" screen at 1280 x 800 and a 15.4" screen at the same resolution (ignore pixel density) are so different?

Either way id still rather a mac over a windows computer

Eidorian
Feb 15, 2007, 03:57 PM
Either way id still rather a mac over a windows computerNow that's nice and all but what is the difference in screen sizes at the same resolution when you ignore pixel density?

Nearly every other manufacturer has a 15.4" low-end model. It's great since the pixel density is lower and you don't have to worry about squinting. I remember a lot of people buying the 14" iBook because it was easier to view the screen contents. That is besides the SuperDrive and other minor tweaks.

casik
Feb 15, 2007, 03:59 PM
-
A 15.4 MacBook would be a better value if they also -

made BLACK a no-fee option
rolled-out the rumored LED displays
added the rumored faster-booting flash design as well.

Two of these features potentially could increase the battery life (hours).

Ultimatetone

does no one see that the black is a status? apple has a black macbook at the top of the line, because when someone sees the black macbook, they look at it and let their jaw drop because it's so hot and fashionable. i think it's hot, and i want one. apple won't make it a add on feature... they do the same thing in the iPod line (not with the video iPods, but with the nanos) the black one is only available at the 8gig range. although not as popular, it's a status thing... black macbook=owning "the best"

iProd
Feb 15, 2007, 04:00 PM
I demand a 12" Macbook Pro.

Telp
Feb 15, 2007, 04:00 PM
Now that's nice and all but what is the difference in screen sizes at the same resolution when you ignore pixel density?

Nearly every other manufacturer has a 15.4" low-end model. It's great since the pixel density is lower and you don't have to worry about squinting. I remember a lot of people buying the 14" iBook because it was easier to view the screen contents. That is besides the SuperDrive and other minor tweaks.

Well i cant speak for everyone else and seeing as i dont really see a difference...On the other hand, bigger is better, to a point, and 15.4" i guess isnt a bad deal. But prolly a 15"MB would make more sence to me

casik
Feb 15, 2007, 04:01 PM
no as it has been pointed out, every other computer maker makes a cheap 15 in. and since this rumor is the topic of the post, how is it not a bad idea to offer the macbooks power with a larger screen. i know i would have gotten it in a heartbeat since i find 13.3 in is kinda small for pretty much everything when i am at home.

try having multiple word documents open, excel, itunes and you will know what im talking about. and as you can tell doing word, cad or any other thing does not need a gpu... but having a larger screen would be nice

thats what expose is for. many windows is the need for a very nice GUI software, and thats what apple has put out. i would take a small mac over a big PC anyday... you know how much of a pain it is to minimize 7 windows everytime i want to see the desktop on a windows comp.

Feb 15, 2007, 04:10 PM
I demand a 12" Macbook Pro.

Me too. Or if you wanna keep calling it MB on 13", at least give it a choice for slightly better GPU...that's all we need, and perhaps illuminated keys too...is that so hard?

theheyes
Feb 15, 2007, 04:13 PM
I've got a mate who is specifically waiting for a 15" MacBook to buy as his first Mac, so bring it on I say.

And whoever used the words "investment" and "computer" in the same sentence up there need their head feeling...

Amuraivel
Feb 15, 2007, 04:24 PM

You speak my mind friend....still waiting....my Thinkpad t60p is just waiting to be sold...

rt_brained
Feb 15, 2007, 04:33 PM
...features like the illuminated keyboard and other masturbate-worthy perks.Although take it from me, they will kick you out of the Apple store for that.

Whistleway
Feb 15, 2007, 04:36 PM
you know how much of a pain it is to minimize 7 windows everytime i want to see the desktop on a windows comp.

That's because u don't know/want to do windows.

MrCrowbar
Feb 15, 2007, 04:36 PM
Remind me how a 13.3" screen at 1280 x 800 and a 15.4" screen at the same resolution (ignore pixel density) are so different?

a Resolution Independent OS such as the upcoming OSX 10.5 allows you to scale the whole use interface. More pixels per inch will make it looks sharper while retaining the same size (so you don't have to squint on a 160 ppi screen). The other thing you can do is scale everything to make it bigger or smaller. I can't wait to be able to resize the menu bar to... say... 50% of the current size. And toolbars and buttons and scrollbIars etc...

I use the little green zoom button a lot to get windows in sizes that make sense (damn you Firefox!, I will ditch you as soon as I have leopard where Safari has instant search) and expose to make good use of my Macbook's screen. It has the same horizontal resolution as my 19" Dell Screen at work which looks ridiculous next to the Macbook with it's sharp and colorful glossy display. I wish 200 ppi was standard... Maybe the next Cinema Displays and Macbook Pros that ship with Leopard? Please, Apple!

andrewag
Feb 15, 2007, 04:37 PM
This does not really make much sense to me. The range at the moment is not as distinct as the old iBook/powerbook range which I feel is a better strategy.

Eidorian
Feb 15, 2007, 04:41 PM
a Resolution Independent OS such as the upcoming OSX 10.5 allows you to scale the whole use interface. More pixels per inch will make it looks sharper while retaining the same size (so you don't have to squint on a 160 ppi screen). The other thing you can do is scale everything to make it bigger or smaller. I can't wait to be able to resize the menu bar to... say... 50% of the current size. And toolbars and buttons and scrollbIars etc...

I use the little green zoom button a lot to get windows in sizes that make sense (damn you Firefox!, I will ditch you as soon as I have leopard where Safari has instant search) and expose to make good use of my Macbook's screen. It has the same horizontal resolution as my 19" Dell Screen at work which looks ridiculous next to the Macbook with it's sharp and colorful glossy display. I wish 200 ppi was standard... Maybe the next Cinema Displays and Macbook Pros that ship with Leopard? Please, Apple!http://www.math.purdue.edu/~abarreno/holland_plant.jpg

Note: I was ignoring pixel density.

iEdd
Feb 15, 2007, 05:48 PM
Hmm.. If I wanted a 15.4" laptop, I would get the pro. This rumour seems obscure. Why can't it go the other way? A 13.3" MBP :cool:

Wild-Bill
Feb 15, 2007, 06:02 PM
Hmm.. If I wanted a 15.4" laptop, I would get the pro. This rumour seems obscure. Why can't it go the other way? A 13.3" MBP :cool:

Here here! I second that. a smaller MacBook Pro is what will "fill out" the lineup, not this 15.4 Macbook nonsense. Bring on the 12" widescreen ultraportable MBP!!!! That is the only thing that could replace my 12" Powerbook.

rt_brained
Feb 15, 2007, 06:12 PM
...whizz-bang features like the illuminated keyboard and other masturbate-worthy perks.

For the record:

whiz-bang also whizz-bang (noun) - One that is conspicuously effective, successful, or skillful: a whiz-bang of a speech.
(origin) From whizzbang, a shell (i.e., Ammunition consisting of a cylindrical metal casing containing an explosive charge and a projectile; fired from a large gun) used in World War I that was heard only an instant before landing and exploding

So, if whizz-bang were to become a euphemism for masturbation, then in a sense, the word will have 'come full circle'—which, is not the same as a 'circle jerk'.

dukebound85
Feb 15, 2007, 06:27 PM
thats what expose is for. many windows is the need for a very nice GUI software, and thats what apple has put out. i would take a small mac over a big PC anyday... you know how much of a pain it is to minimize 7 windows everytime i want to see the desktop on a windows comp.

i dont think you quite know what im getting at. with your logic no one would ever need a larger screen because of expose. pray tell why apple sells 30 in monitors when according to you everybody would be fine with a 13 in screen and expose lol

EagerDragon
Feb 15, 2007, 06:40 PM
Bring it on! I really could love to have one...in black! :cool:

Do you really need another laptop?
Based on your signature, you have like 6 already, LOL.

EagerDragon
Feb 15, 2007, 06:46 PM
The standard MacBook screen is too small for me (bad eyes). The 15 would be nice, but I would be interested in a MacBook Pro, not sure how popular a MacBook 15.4 would be.

veneficuss
Feb 15, 2007, 07:11 PM
For what it's worth, the GMA3000 has only just started appearing (personally I haven't even seen that many laptops using it yet, just a few Gateway desktops). From the tone of your post, it makes it sound like Apple is dropping the ball by still using the GMA950, and I don't think that's really fair considering most every other PC laptop in the same price range uses that part (well, not the $1500 price range, but that's different).

-Zadillo

I have a beautiful black Sony Viao S series that is 13.3" and has some type of charcoal coloured trackpad that apple needs to use. I dont know if its made out of magnesium or something but it is IMPOSSIBLE for it to show wear. I have used this laptop literally 5 hours a day every day for 2 years and there is no wear at all. If it gets dirty i wipe it with a damp cloth and it is good as new. I would think Apple would have had the same type of trackpad for the pricepoint of a macbook. I am looking to buy a MBP, but I'm afraid it will be too big/heavy to carry in my Vuitton bag. I need a MBP because I do a ton of digital video editing (in Sony Vegas 7)and would like to use Final Cut Pro and move into the mac world but I travel all the time. If a 13.3" or a 14" MPB came out I would buy it right now (well after Leopard). I'm afraid of buying Apple after all of the heat dissipation issues I have been hearing.

Digital Skunk
Feb 15, 2007, 07:16 PM
If Apple put an independent graphics card in this possible 15" MacBook then it would be necessary... If they only offer it with no advantages over the 13.3 then there is no need for it. :( Sorry.

Digital Skunk
Feb 15, 2007, 07:22 PM
Here here! I second that. a smaller MacBook Pro is what will "fill out" the lineup, not this 15.4 Macbook nonsense. Bring on the 12" widescreen ultraportable MBP!!!! That is the only thing that could replace my 12" Powerbook.

I third the motion. There is more of a need for a 12" widescreen MacBook Pro than a 15.4" MacBook. Even if there were going to be a wider screen in the MacBook line, it wouldn't make too much sense to make it 15.4 inches. It would be better as a 14 inch screen or something and it still has to add some feature that the 13.3 inch doesn't already have. Now if this rumor said some thing like a stripped down 15"MBP as a new comer for those that wnat a wider screen but don't want to pay $2000, then that is closer to believable. A machine much like the MBP when it was first introduced. No FW800 and a C2D running at 2GHz. Cut the graphics down to 64MB or something then lower the price to $1500 or $1600. That is more reasonable. It solves the weight issues with polycarbonate and it give the user something that the 13.3" MBP doesn't have... and ExpressCard 34 slot.

odaiwai
Feb 15, 2007, 07:37 PM
you know how much of a pain it is to minimize 7 windows everytime i want to see the desktop on a windows comp.

WindowsKey-D minimizes all open windows and brings you to the desktop. It's almost exactly equivalent to F11 on tiger.

danny_w
Feb 15, 2007, 07:43 PM
How long has it been since you used Windows? There has been an icon in the taskbar for ages (Win98 at least) that immediately clears/minimizes all open windows when clicked, and clicking again puts them back the way they were. Not as good as exposes, but it came out much earlier.

SkyBell
Feb 15, 2007, 08:07 PM
Blah Blah Blah, all you people with hopes on an "Ultra portable" MBP.

I don't think it would be logical to do such a thing. For one, the price would be over the top for most people. For two, they would have to spec it down to keep the Price down.

And thus, we have the 15 inch MB

Problem solved.;)

BWhaler
Feb 15, 2007, 08:39 PM
Dumbest. Rumor. Ever.

So, Apple is going to have to explain the differentiation in the stores by explaining one comes with a GPU, and one doesn't.

No, this is just dumb. Rumor sites can use a tad bit of common sense...

ironring2006
Feb 15, 2007, 09:57 PM
Dumbest. Rumor. Ever.

So, Apple is going to have to explain the differentiation in the stores by explaining one comes with a GPU, and one doesn't.

No, this is just dumb. Rumor sites can use a tad bit of common sense...

No, most likely someone who actually needs the GPU will not be asking for an explanation in store. Go look at the Apple store right now and on the side where it says "Top Sellers", tell me where you see the MB and MBP respectively. Volume wise, the consumer machines are flying out of the factories. It's easy to see Apple wanting to fill that gap of someone who wants one of those "iPod laptops" with a bit bigger screen.

I really doubt that there will be much difference in hardware between the 13.3 and 15.4 MB, but there will still remain the hardware advantage for the MBP for those that know they need it and will knowingly pay the premium for it.

CaptainCaveMann
Feb 15, 2007, 10:35 PM
This rumor sounds like BS to me and makes no sense. We have heard more reputable people speak of a 12 inch macbook pro! Pay no mind to this rumor. Keep your hopes up for the 12 inch pro its gonna happen. ;)

Digital Skunk
Feb 15, 2007, 10:41 PM
How long has it been since you used Windows? There has been an icon in the taskbar for ages (Win98 at least) that immediately clears/minimizes all open windows when clicked, and clicking again puts them back the way they were. Not as good as exposes, but it came out much earlier.

I remember that feature. It is nothing like Expose. It only cleared the desktop. It wasn't as robust as Expose and no where near as powerful. The 3D flip thing in Vista compares with Expose a lot more than that feature did. And Mac came out with that first. The windows key "D" feature wasn't used much by me and didn't really help with the way I computed.

Digital Skunk
Feb 15, 2007, 10:50 PM
I really doubt that there will be much difference in hardware between the 13.3 and 15.4 MB, but there will still remain the hardware advantage for the MBP for those that know they need it and will knowingly pay the premium for it.

That is what bothers me the most. Since there isn't much difference in hardware... what is the advantage over the two machines (13.3 inch MB & 15.4" MB) other than the screen size?:confused:

If they are going to make one there has to be a hardware advantage. If you remember the iBooks, the 12 inch didn't have a DVD burner and had a slower processor. This 15" book has got to have something that justifies the price. Those that complain about the MBP being too expensive and not justifying the price are going to be hypocritical by buying a machine that costs an extra $300 or so for 2 inches of screen space. Many people didn't buy the black MacBook (C1D version) for the same reason. Now they are selling like crazy because they have 40 extra GBs over the white one. There has to be a hardware advantage to have smart consumers buying it.

dongmin
Feb 16, 2007, 12:45 AM
speaking of 12" (and smaller) MBPs...

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2500

please please please let it come with an LED multi-touch screen a la the iPhone.

Zadillo
Feb 16, 2007, 12:56 AM
speaking of 12" (and smaller) MBPs...

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2500

please please please let it come with an LED multi-touch screen a la the iPhone.

Also setting the new model aside from its existing counterparts, those same people say, may be the conspicuous absence of an optical disc drive. Although Apple's original plans for the notebook called for its inclusion, reports are that the daunting ergonomics have recently driven company engineers to make a concession, forming yet another parallel between the new notebook and the defunct PowerBook 2400.

Unless this thing is some marvel of engineering that is thinner and smaller than anything that has come before, I don't think there is too much excuse for this. If Sony can fit an optical drive into the TX series (not to mention any number of other Japanese laptops one can find at dynamism.com, etc.), I think Apple should be able to as well.

chaosbunny
Feb 16, 2007, 03:09 AM
That is what bothers me the most. Since there isn't much difference in hardware... what is the advantage over the two machines (13.3 inch MB & 15.4" MB) other than the screen size?:confused:

Lol, as if that feature wasn't enough.:rolleyes:

A 15" mb would be a great additional laptop (besides a desktop) for graphic designers for example. The Adobe CS Suite, QuarkXPress, etc. do not use the graphics card. And the processors in the mb and the mbp are almost identical. But seriously working with photoshop or illustrator on a 13" screen just sucks. So one would have to spend almost twice as much just for those 2" of screen size. And please don't argue with fw800, etc., I have never used that port on my 2 year old pb.

I can't understand why there are always people bitching if there is a rumor about a new apple machine. Imo apple offering a more flexible lineup can only be a good thing. Ok, maybe this new 15" mb won't suit everyones needs, but well, it doesn't have to and I bet many would be very happy with it.

Personally I can't understand the need for a 12" mbp. You wan't portable gaming get a psp.:D
And honestly, who want's to use pro applications on a 12" screen? And I'm saying this as a former owner of a revA 12" pb. I fell in love with the small form factor but after little more than 1,5 years I replaced it with a 15" pb simply because of the screen size. I couldn't stand doing any graphic work on that tiny screen anymore.
But hey, some people will buy it so I say, bring on the 15" mb, the 13" or 12" mbp and while we are at it, a new Cube with a Conroe in it!

reflex
Feb 16, 2007, 03:13 AM
I really hope they don't do what they did with the 12" and 14" iBooks and have the same resolution for both screen sizes

Hadn't thought of that yet, but it's quite likely. A lot of 15" Windows notebooks have a 1280x1024 resolution. And it would be one more way to distinguish it from the MBP.

MarkCollette
Feb 16, 2007, 07:22 PM
In the past year, a whole bunch of people I know have bought new computers. Say, around a dozen. Every single one was a 15 inch laptop. Granted, some are students and needed something they could bring to group assignments, etc., but a bunch could have bought desktops, in theory. These people aren't buying a computer to put on their lap. They are all being used on desks at home, maybe the coffee table at times, or places designed for people to bring laptops in.

Now a days, there just is not a need for most people to have a small notebook computer. They want a desktop replacement that is luggable.

So, if Apple's main selling computer is the less expensive MacBook, then I'm pretty sure that quite quickly a 15" MacBook would outsell a 13" MacBook. Probably, a lot of people buying a 13" MacBook today are feeling that they're compromising by buying the smaller screen.

Hell, when I think about the next computer I want to buy, just to sit on my desk at home, it would be a 15" MacBook.

odaiwai
Feb 17, 2007, 12:10 PM
I remember that feature. It is nothing like Expose. It only cleared the desktop. It wasn't as robust as Expose and no where near as powerful. The 3D flip thing in Vista compares with Expose a lot more than that feature did. And Mac came out with that first. The windows key "D" feature wasn't used much by me and didn't really help with the way I computed.

Well, sure, it's not a patch on Expose, but the original question was about seeing the desktop on Windows, and the Desktop icon, or WinKey-D does exactly the same as F11 on Tiger, not the full goodness of Expose.

You can even F11/Win-D, drag a file on the desktop, F11/Win-D again, and drop it on an open application, which is useful if you tend to keep temporary files on the desktop in either OS.

emac82
Feb 17, 2007, 08:01 PM
I think the MacBook line would be well suited with a 15.4" screen, for those who value screen size over portability, and I also think that the MacBook Pro line would do well with a smaller than 15.4" screen for those who want portability. Just because each line would have similar screen sizes, it does not mean that someone will buy the MacBook 15.4" instead of a MacBook Pro, as there are many other features of the MBP besides screen size, such as firewire 800, express card, dedicated video, etc...Others have also brought this up. I personally like a 14.1" screen the best, so a 13.3" is fine for me.

I sell Macs, and people didn't buy a 12" iBook if they needed a 12" PowerBook...

As far as some of the comments made about those who chose to buy PC, and that they will break after a day...Hardware is hardware, it breaks down regardless of the manufacturer. Yes cheaper parts are more prone, but Macs break down now just as much as pc's...It's their software that makes them better, not the hardware.

jade
Feb 19, 2007, 04:39 PM
I know that many of you are really into the Ultra-portable, but in case you haven't looked around all the PC laptops are 15 inches in the $1000-$13000 price range. These systems have very equivalent hardware specs to the current 13 inch MBs. In fact my work notebook is a 14 inch Dell Inspiron 640m. This is an OK notebook: around 5.5 pounds, 1GB or RAM, Core Duo, DVD Burner, 160GB hard drive, XP Pro total price $850. Note as sleek as a MacBook, but it is pretty cheap.

I am looking to replace my iBook G4 since I am hitting the 3 year mark. I have no need for express card slots or dedicated graphics...but I do want a larger screen (13 is too close to my current too small 12), explain to me why I need to pay another $700???? I mean that is pretty ridiculous, especially when I know there is an OS X-less HP for $1100-1200 that has everything I need.......

And put yourself in the average consumers shoes:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/scat/computers/notebooks/dv6000t_series/rts/3/computer_store

or

www.apple.com/macbookpro

These two machines look pretty much the same on paper....So they can spend 2X as much for a 15 inch screen.........

The target market for macbooks are gravitating towards 15 inch screens and apple's sales of MBs would skyrocket with the larger one with minimal cannibalization of the MBPs. The Apple-focuses message boards are a poor source of market research, it audience is made up of a vocal niche, not the silent majority.

johnmartin78
Feb 19, 2007, 04:46 PM
I hope they dont release it at a lower price I just bought a new macbook two days ago :(

The story of <insert any Mac users name here> life.

djellison
Feb 20, 2007, 02:07 AM
explain to me why I need to pay another $700???? I mean that is pretty ridiculous, especially when I know there is an OS X-less HP for $1100-1200 that has everything I need.......

Then that's fine. You don't need to pay another $700. Get the HP machine. Enjoy it.

Doug

Zadillo
Feb 20, 2007, 06:24 AM
I know that many of you are really into the Ultra-portable, but in case you haven't looked around all the PC laptops are 15 inches in the $1000-$13000 price range. These systems have very equivalent hardware specs to the current 13 inch MBs. In fact my work notebook is a 14 inch Dell Inspiron 640m. This is an OK notebook: around 5.5 pounds, 1GB or RAM, Core Duo, DVD Burner, 160GB hard drive, XP Pro total price $850. Note as sleek as a MacBook, but it is pretty cheap.

I am looking to replace my iBook G4 since I am hitting the 3 year mark. I have no need for express card slots or dedicated graphics...but I do want a larger screen (13 is too close to my current too small 12), explain to me why I need to pay another $700???? I mean that is pretty ridiculous, especially when I know there is an OS X-less HP for $1100-1200 that has everything I need.......

And put yourself in the average consumers shoes:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/scat/computers/notebooks/dv6000t_series/rts/3/computer_store

or

www.apple.com/macbookpro

These two machines look pretty much the same on paper....So they can spend 2X as much for a 15 inch screen.........

The target market for macbooks are gravitating towards 15 inch screens and apple's sales of MBs would skyrocket with the larger one with minimal cannibalization of the MBPs. The Apple-focuses message boards are a poor source of market research, it audience is made up of a vocal niche, not the silent majority.

The MacBook Pro is not comparable to the consumer 15" HP machines. You can't look at specs alone............ you also have to look at build quality, materials, etc. The MBP would be more directly comparable to HP's business-class workstation laptops, which cost much more. Those $1000 15" HP machines also of course feature poorer graphics cards, etc.

It's not like you're spending that extra money on an MBP just for a larger screen, or that the MBP is identical to a $1000 consumer HP machine.

TheDance511
Feb 20, 2007, 06:32 AM
I don't see why a 13" Macbook Pro would be pointless. Obviously, it will fall between the base 15" MBP and the black macbook as standard across the board, so why is it pointless? The price after building a BTO machine doesn't count, since I could very well spec a blackbook to top out the price of a base model macbook pro. At the same time a smaller lighter MBP would be very appealing. I'd definitely buy one over the 15-17", because truthfully, 17" displays are not that great for doing the heavy graphics work that macbook pros were designed for anyway, and with the dedicated GPU across the board, I can expand the real estate with a 30" display of my choosing, a feature the consumer level macbook doesn't have. I'll bet a 13" pro would have great sales, and people will still buy consumer level macbooks and full sized macbook pros.

I want a pro level mini dangit!

THANK YOU!! Bring on the 13" MBP's!!

lord patton
Feb 20, 2007, 07:46 AM
Hadn't thought of that yet, but it's quite likely. A lot of 15" Windows notebooks have a 1280x1024 resolution. And it would be one more way to distinguish it from the MBP.

More likely the 15" MB would get the current MBP's resolution, and the new MBP would have even higher resolution, what with Res-independent GUI in Leopard.

This would be an easy way to differntiate. Don't know what OEM panels are out there for 15", though.

jade
Feb 20, 2007, 10:25 AM
The MacBook Pro is not comparable to the consumer 15" HP machines. You can't look at specs alone............ you also have to look at build quality, materials, etc. The MBP would be more directly comparable to HP's business-class workstation laptops, which cost much more. Those $1000 15" HP machines also of course feature poorer graphics cards, etc.

It's not like you're spending that extra money on an MBP just for a larger screen, or that the MBP is identical to a $1000 consumer HP machine.

I agree, but unfortunately Apple doesn't offer a standard 15" screen for an affordable price. Mostly everyone here is forgetting that most people could careless about dedicated graphics, FW800, DVI out and expresscard slots.... they want a computer with a big screen that does the normal stuff...and some of them are even willing to pay a couple hundred dollars for something that looks sleek...but an extra $700 for the pro tax is pretty ridiculous. I kow if Apple released a 15in MB it would fly off the shelves. Let's hope they do.... [because this was the space the former 14in ibook occupied...and Apple sold quite a few of them, they would have sold even more if the price/processors were more comparable at the time)

Once this huge market is addressed, they can go back to the labs for the niche ultraportable.

emotion
Feb 20, 2007, 10:29 AM
Once this huge market is addressed, they can go back to the labs for the niche ultraportable.

Traditionally Apple isn't really about low-margin consumer devices though (and if it was they have that covered with the macbook 13.3). A smaller MBP would be more of a priority I would have thought, particulalry from the opinions voiced on this forum.

Zadillo
Feb 20, 2007, 10:29 AM
I agree, but unfortunately Apple doesn't offer a standard 15" screen for an affordable price. Mostly everyone here is forgetting that most people could careless about dedicated graphics, FW800, DVI out and expresscard slots.... they want a computer with a big screen that does the normal stuff...and some of them are even willing to pay a couple hundred dollars for something that looks sleek...but an extra $700 for the pro tax is pretty ridiculous. I kow if Apple released a 15in MB it would fly off the shelves. Let's hope they do.... [because this was the space the former 14in ibook occupied...and Apple sold quite a few of them, they would have sold even more if the price/processors were more comparable at the time)

Certainly, I think it makes sense for Apple to release a 15.4" MacBook, and it also makes sense for them to release a smaller "pro-level" notebook.