Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDance511

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
California soon
:apple: I have a question about the Mac Mini...It will be my first Mac and I'm low on cash. Can I buy the Mac Mini with 512mb of ram and then add more RAM later? Or is it a closed system? Thanks.:apple: Feedback PLEASE

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You can add the RAM later. The only issues that I can think of is your Apple warranty. It's a lot nicer to just get it Apple RAM for that reason only. I'd try to wait for a new revision this late in the cycle.

Note: Make sure you have a flashlight and magnetized Phillips #0 screwdriver.

It's possible...though depending on your skill level, it could be a tad innerving. Check it out at ifixit: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/Mac-Mini/
This is for the Mac mini G4.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
An hour? :eek:

It doesn't take more than 10 to 15 minutes here. You must have been going very very very slow?

I should admit I disassemble notebooks all the time at work so this could be a factor, but 1 hour seems like a hell of a long time to remove a few screws and lift a few larger items out of the way.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
I've done it. If you're technically savvy 20 min tops. Read the guides that are out there, a lot of them give good, clear instructions on how to do it. If you're not comfortable doing it, you could always pay for somebody to do it. :D

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It's nice to have the service guide too. They made a few minor changes between the original revision and the current one too.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
ifixit still hasn't updated there service guide for the mini yet! There are some subtle differences. (PPC mini has 3 screws, Intel has 4) They need to get on that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.