PDA

View Full Version : Playing Video Games Is Good For You!

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2003, 09:43 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/fun.games/05/28/action.video.ap/index.html

ha! All that time spent playing games actually did something good for me - and I'm still playing, too.

D :D

Freg3000
May 28, 2003, 09:47 PM
Where did I see this story......maybe it was Countdown. Actually, it was probably CNN, because the link goes to cnn.com. Anyway. Countdown is a really cool show, it counts down the top 5 news stories. It is on MSNBC @ 8 ET. :)

applemacdude
May 28, 2003, 09:48 PM
hmmm...now i can tell my parents its good for me

vniow
May 28, 2003, 10:18 PM
Oh snap, my mind must be flat...http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=251202

<---not a gamer

GeneR
May 28, 2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/fun.games/05/28/action.video.ap/index.html

ha! All that time spent playing games actually did something good for me - and I'm still playing, too.

D :D

Dang, D, and here I had this picture of you as being part of the socially well-adjusted crowd and you spring this little tidbit. :D

Well, I guess now at least I feel that all those hours playing Crazy Taxi, or even Wizardry as a kid, must have done some good. Okay, maybe not Wizardry... (By the way, the badguy's name is: Andrew spelled backwards... hehehehe! )

Wes
May 29, 2003, 01:14 AM
I love it, especially because I must have spent 100 hours + playing Medal of Honor in my life. I can pick off those Nazis like flies.;)

mac15
May 29, 2003, 03:42 AM
Masterbation now Games, I love scientists! :)

MrMacMan
May 29, 2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by mac15
Masterbation now Games, I love scientists! :)

Yes, this study is sweet.

All they need is a study that having really little sleep is acually good for you. :)

Chaszmyr
May 29, 2003, 07:52 AM
It's nice that someone finally made it "official" by doing it a study and putting it into text... But surely this doesn't surprise anyone, does it? The question is, are there negative side-effects to video games that outweigh the beneficial side-effects?

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
It's nice that someone finally made it "official" by doing it a study and putting it into text... But surely this doesn't surprise anyone, does it? The question is, are there negative side-effects to video games that outweigh the beneficial side-effects?

Well, if you can personally work at moderating the amount of time you play, you can offset the negative side-effects.

Everything in moderation you know :D

D

tazo
May 29, 2003, 08:51 AM

Everything in moderation you know :D

D

including moderation :)

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by tazo
including moderation :)

don't even get me started on that ;)

Also for you teenagers - I remember going to a hobby store in my home town that had the first Space Invaders video game - there were no arcades then - and this was the first game to ever come out that pretty much started the whole craze.

I guess that was late 70s, when I was in Junior high....;)

I've been playing for a while. :D

D

ejb190
May 29, 2003, 10:17 AM

Also for you teenagers - I remember going to a hobby store in my home town that had the first Space Invaders video game - there were no arcades then - and this was the first game to ever come out that pretty much started the whole craze.

I used to spend a lot of lunch money on Battlezone and Defender....

Now I prefer games of a more useful nature. You know, the ones that help me practice for world domination!

katchow
May 29, 2003, 11:02 AM
does anyone remember that onion article?

"Video Games develop good 'looking' skills"

included was a picture of some apathetic kid sitting in front of a tv...

brilliant sarcasm :)

whoops, i just looked it up. I was worng, it was actually about tv.

"Report:TV Helps Build Valuable Looking Skills"...guess that would make more sense...

here are some excerpts:

"NEW YORK—A report released Monday by NYU's Center For Media Studies has found that television, accused by experts of diminishing children's attention spans and discouraging them from interacting with others, can actually help children as young as six months develop essential looking skills."

photo caption "Above: Children sharpen their looking skills with a 27-inch Sony Trinitron."

"Extensive testing of adults who grew up in homes without television showed that such adults had difficulty staring blankly at things for longer than a few seconds," Center For Media Studies director Dr. Edward DeGaetano said. "They frequently shifted their gaze and focus around the testing environment, often engaging others in the room in conversation and generally making a lot of disruptive noise and movement. Television-enriched adults, however, could sit and look at anything: a spot on the ceiling, a fire-alarm box, a stack of magazines on a table."

sorry to be off-topic everyone :)

its still pretty funny....

Chomolungma
May 29, 2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by katchow
does anyone remember that onion article?

"Video Games develop good 'looking' skills"

included was a picture of some apathetic kid sitting in front of a tv...

brilliant sarcasm :)

whoops, i just looked it up. I was worng, it was actually about tv.

"Report:TV Helps Build Valuable Looking Skills"...guess that would make more sense...

here are some excerpts:

"NEW YORK—A report released Monday by NYU's Center For Media Studies has found that television, accused by experts of diminishing children's attention spans and discouraging them from interacting with others, can actually help children as young as six months develop essential looking skills."

photo caption "Above: Children sharpen their looking skills with a 27-inch Sony Trinitron."

"Extensive testing of adults who grew up in homes without television showed that such adults had difficulty staring blankly at things for longer than a few seconds," Center For Media Studies director Dr. Edward DeGaetano said. "They frequently shifted their gaze and focus around the testing environment, often engaging others in the room in conversation and generally making a lot of disruptive noise and movement. Television-enriched adults, however, could sit and look at anything: a spot on the ceiling, a fire-alarm box, a stack of magazines on a table."

sorry to be off-topic everyone :)

its still pretty funny....

Fantastic post!

Now I like to see how these gamers apply their visual skill talent to a sporting game such as basketball. I like to see them dribble a basketball in a fast break down court and be able to see their oppenent as well as their teammates and predict their movements. Oh I forgot, these gamers are totally out of shape. The advantage is mute, equalize, gone, none not significant....

GeneR
May 29, 2003, 01:49 PM
Wow, you just dated yourself, D. Wait, so did I! :D

I remember when they had that announcement about this guy going for the World's record for playing Centipede (or was it Missile Command?) and they showed the video game out on the sidewalk and the guy looked like a bit of a hippy after playing a few (I think) days straight. And the news reporter caught him during a break because he had gone so high so many times playing that game that it would have to reset itself and give him a chance to rest.

Wow. I wonder where he is now? Probably the head of MENSA or a fighter pilot or something like that... heh. :D

wdlove
May 29, 2003, 01:54 PM
don't even get me started on that ;)

I guess that was late 70s, when I was in Junior high....;)

I've been playing for a while. :D

D

I can remember there being video arcades being available in the 60's! One in particular that I rememer was at an amusement park!

bennetsaysargh
May 29, 2003, 08:05 PM
pac-man is still one of the best.

anyway, i told my mom this a few years before the study was done, and she didn't believe me! now thsat i showed it to her on the news, she doesn't admit to that event happening:rolleyes:

a wonder how parents have such selective memories:p