Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scoupe94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
I just bought an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile off of ebay. Problem is, i meant to buy the Firewire Solo. I sort of went on ebay after i got the money and didnt think to check to make sure i didnt get the wrong one. My question is, since the audiophile has no 1/4" jack input, or a preamp, would it be possible to use this with my guitar, while not spending too much on extra harware to make them work together.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
as you mentioned, you're missing the preamp. i assume you want to go direct from your guitar, so you're looking for a preamp w/ a hi-z input. or are you mic'ing a cabinet?

either way, this isn't the piece you want. even if you do buy an external pre, you'd most likely be taking a +4 balanced out from that into a -10 unbalanced RCA input. workable, but not ideal. throwing good money after bad, imo.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
You could always pick up a guitar preamp/modelling effects unit and use that to interface the guitar with the line in. Bonus is that you would have an outboard effects unit for live performance as well.
now there's a lemonade from lemons idea!

scoupe94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
True, i guess i could use it for live performances, however, i will be using this just for home recording. I'm going to sell this and buy the Firewire Solo, thanks for your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.