PDA

View Full Version : Future Mobile Macs from Apple?

MacRumors
Feb 21, 2007, 01:09 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

ThinkSecret points (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0702mobilemac.html) to a new job description (http://jobs.apple.com/index.ajs?BID=1&method=mExternal.showJob&RID=5222) at Apple which is recruiting for a "Manager of Mobile Mac Architecture". The job description is as follows:

Manager of Mobile Mac Architecture is responsible for guaranteeing the engineering feasibility of the future Mobile Macintosh product line. This manager will work in tandem with Mobile Mac's Chief Technologist to understand market direction for mobile computers and apply that to the unique engineering and feature requirements of Apple's mobile computers.

The job description could easily relate to existing Mac laptop projects, such as the Macbook and Macbook Pro, however, ThinkSecret has been led to believe that this position is "with a team working on a new line of Macs."

There have been persistent rumors that Apple is actively pursuing a sub-notebook (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/16/apple-sub-notebook-nearing-release/) form factors and patent applications (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/25/thin-macbook-with-bottom-mounted-optical-drive/) showing further attempts at miniaturization.

Finally, Apple's announcement of the iPhone with its "Touch OS X" has led many to speculate that this touch-enabled version of OS X could find its way into new mobile Mac solutions -- but this remains entirely speculative.

aricher
Feb 21, 2007, 01:13 PM
Touch/speech sensitive mobil devices will be Apple's wave to the future. My credit cards are empty and waiting.

trudd
Feb 21, 2007, 01:16 PM
A touch screen sub-notebook will lead to a boost in sales of cleaning cloths. Better start investing now...

Maccus Aurelius
Feb 21, 2007, 01:17 PM
If done right Apple could make a very kickass tablet like the modbook. But tablets don't really sell that well despite being pretty nifty hardware. Even with OS X and a more elaborate multitouch system would it even be worth the effort for Apple at all? It could be for ultra-mobile computer systems which could work like the iPhone only much more expanded and media oriented without the network tie-in. A more powerful ultramobile with many of the iPhone's capabilities and without the network necessity and two year contract would be a very interesting product, but still would it be worth bothering with?

chukronos
Feb 21, 2007, 01:19 PM
I bet it is just for the :apple:phone

puuukeey
Feb 21, 2007, 01:21 PM
it feels like the iphone was a response to "the demand of the rumormill" now that they have a patent on one of the few feasible multitouch methods, the will start doing a tablet-esqe design. I really think the multitouch thing will be distributed to all of apples offerings and become part of its brand.

Maccus Aurelius
Feb 21, 2007, 01:26 PM
I'd love to see an apple device that allows me to work on my art projects while allowing me to view the work directly in the work surface. I believe Wacom has a tablet like this, but only serves that one function. It would really cater to the creative community where macs have often ensconced themselves.

aricher
Feb 21, 2007, 01:31 PM
I believe Wacom has a tablet like this, but only serves that one function. The Cintiq (http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/index.cfm) is more along the lines of a pen sensitive LCD monitor - not a tablet in any way.

mattscott306
Feb 21, 2007, 01:35 PM

I'm inclinded to beleive its more for the iPhone then JUST for the iPhone. Didn't Job's himself say that they were creating a bunch of phones that would blow this one out of the water?

twoodcc
Feb 21, 2007, 01:39 PM
well would be nice for a new mobile mac. :) :apple:

lord patton
Feb 21, 2007, 01:40 PM
it feels like the iphone was a response to "the demand of the rumormill"

Well, it may "feel" that way to you, but I'm pretty sure Apple was responding to the chance to add 5 billion in revenue in '08, not the rumor mill.

Feb 21, 2007, 01:49 PM
well would be nice for a new mobile mac. :) :apple:

All I want is a 11/12" MBP, nothing more...bring it on, Apple! My credit card is ready!

Gasu E.
Feb 21, 2007, 01:53 PM

:apple:phone is NOT a "Mac".

It says "Mobile Mac", therefore it's about computers.

The fact that prior tablets have not sold well despite "nifty hardware" would not keep Apple from entering the business. Apple enters businesses because they feel they understand customer requirements, and have the willingness and ability to develop perfectly integrated combinations of hardware and software to fulfill those requirements. You can be sure that an Apple tablet, if introduced, would be a combination of both novel hardware and software designed to complement each other.

nagromme
Feb 21, 2007, 01:54 PM
It sounds more like a re-organizing/re-emphasis to me, which would include MacBooks rather than replacing them or being a totally separate line.

I don't think the MacBook naming would be adopted just to be chucked right away. (Nor the physical design--although the Pro is still PowerBook-like and might get a new design any time.)

I can certainly see a new "line"--subnotebook--being added to the current models though. And maybe even some touchscreen stuff someday.

Mart356
Feb 21, 2007, 01:54 PM
I am pretty sure this isn't iphone. There are some tech trends that could put apple at the front of a new wave of low-cost, high power low heat, long battery life portable devices.

Apple is definitely talking with companies like AMD. Since AMD bought ATI the main aim has been to produce a combined CPU/GPU. These will give more bang for the buck, more Power per Watt than current processors and Apple is all about that. The processors are due out later this year and I am sure they will allow new form factors for subnotes, without compromising too much in terms of performance and giving long battery life. The move to Intel has opened Apple up to evaluate processors from folks like AMD. Combine that with an all flash drive, an operating system on a ePROM, a screen that uses lower-power LEDs for backlight and you could have a really serious, powerful portable email device that runs for days.

thinking about it, I'm going to buy some apple stock!

techytrent
Feb 21, 2007, 01:57 PM
it would be nice if they incorporated multi-touch into the portable line. even if they didn't make a nice chunk of change from it like they do with their existing notebooks, it would be nice to have an offer like that for the niche group that also likes OSX. same for the sub-notebooks.

off-topic:
i just wish they would start making non-top-of-the-line computers. some people simply cannot afford a macbook and hate the idea of the mini since it doesn't come with keyboard/mouse/screen, but is still around 600 bucks. if they make a notebook for under 800 bucks or sell the mini at 300, even though it won't have all the latest wizz-bang features, they would prolly start making a killing in sales (err, much more than they already do now, that is).

ncook06
Feb 21, 2007, 01:58 PM
"MacBook Mini"
It will be amazing. That's all I have to say.

s10
Feb 21, 2007, 01:59 PM
Think Secret is not reliable.

MrCrowbar
Feb 21, 2007, 01:59 PM
Wow, check out the Apple stock. It's even higher than on Macworld! WTF?

xenotaku
Feb 21, 2007, 02:00 PM
screw this crap. I need a goddamn 12" MacBook Pro! I would buy a Macbook, but the plastic casing and nasty keyboard blows. I want my 12"!!!

gkarris
Feb 21, 2007, 02:04 PM
"MacBook Mini"
It will be amazing. That's all I have to say.

a.k.a. MacMobile :eek:

(breathe, remember to breathe...)

Sandfleaz
Feb 21, 2007, 02:05 PM
Once you see the iPhone keynote and realize it's running some version of OSX, it's a pretty small leap to see lots of other touchscreen devices.
Can't wait!

Telp
Feb 21, 2007, 02:06 PM
EXCITING !!!! :apple: :D

ncook06
Feb 21, 2007, 02:11 PM
Apple is definitely talking with companies like AMD. Since AMD bought ATI the main aim has been to produce a combined CPU/GPU. These will give more bang for the buck, more Power per Watt than current processors and Apple is all about that.

There is no way Apple is talking with AMD. They have so much invested in R&D with Intel and Jobs is not stupid enough to risk hurting that relationship. Yes, it would be nice, but Intel is currently in the lead overall, if only slightly. Jobs wouldn't risk losing cooperation with Intel over anything.

emotion
Feb 21, 2007, 02:14 PM
screw this crap. I need a goddamn 12" MacBook Pro! I would buy a Macbook, but the plastic casing and nasty keyboard blows. I want my 12"!!!

The macbook isn't so bad (I just got one to replace a 1.33 12" powerbook), it's no pro model though. Bring on a 12" mbp :)

emotion
Feb 21, 2007, 02:20 PM
There is no way Apple is talking with AMD. They have so much invested in R&D with Intel and Jobs is not stupid enough to risk hurting that relationship. Yes, it would be nice, but Intel is currently in the lead overall, if only slightly. Jobs wouldn't risk losing cooperation with Intel over anything.

Oh Apple *will* have had talks with AMD/ATI. Without any doubt. It's good business practice to keep Intel on their toes. Also they have to trade to have ATI cards.

Maccus Aurelius
Feb 21, 2007, 02:37 PM

But they do utilize AMD technology to some extent. The Airport Extreme base station uses an AMD chip.

MrCrowbar
Feb 21, 2007, 02:52 PM
But they do utilize AMD technology to some extent. The Airport Extreme base station uses an AMD chip.

The new one? That's interesting. I guess They only use Intel for CPUs and integrated graphics then. :p
I actually like where Intel is going with the Core architecture. The Xeons are beefy and the mobile processors are easy on the power source. AMD really sucks on laptops.

RichardI
Feb 21, 2007, 02:57 PM
I'm in the market for a new Mac within the next year and I wish Apple would concentrate on rationalizing their desktop line. there are huge holes to fill there.

Rich :cool:

Clive At Five
Feb 21, 2007, 03:00 PM
Okay, people need to realize that the MB and MBP are mobile computers as well. You can focus all you want on an MBM and multi-touch (which I agree are going to be important in the future of Mac computing, especially on the mobile line) but let's talk about present tense. We have stale and aging laptop designs that need to be refreshed. We need to find a way to keep pumping higher-powered CPUs into smaller spaces. We need larger, cooler RAM, dense media options, higher res. screens, etc...

Let's keep this report to a more realistic interpretation.

-Clive

darwen
Feb 21, 2007, 03:02 PM
the subnotebook is going to be the new G5 powerbook and the new iPhone. Get ready guys because next tuesday... subnotebooks!

Telp
Feb 21, 2007, 03:10 PM
the subnotebook is going to be the new G5 powerbook and the new iPhone. Get ready guys because next tuesday... subnotebooks!

uhhh???

EagerDragon
Feb 21, 2007, 03:13 PM

They clearly used the words sub notebook.

Telp
Feb 21, 2007, 03:15 PM

theyd be in a lot of trouble if they did that

Digital Skunk
Feb 21, 2007, 03:17 PM
Think Secret is not reliable.

They are about as reliable as Macrumors and the rest of the Mac rumors sites are. This site is posting a rumor that another rumor site posted and Thinksecret probably got it from some other rumor site.

zombitronic
Feb 21, 2007, 03:17 PM
Although I'm already committed to getting an iPhone, I'm sure a standard sized keyboard still feels easier to type on. Compact and lightweight are trends of future technology, but at least to me, usability still dwarfs those demands.

I agree with Apple's space efficient decision to go with a touchscreen keyboard on the iPhone instead of a physical one. A physical one is still small and even if you slide it away, it's still "there".

The real place a touchscreen keyboard will be of use, though, is in a tablet. Maybe one that can slide into view like the dock; maybe one that's launched as quick app from the dock or a widget. Slide it back and forth to reveal/hide the number pad, or maybe they would rethink the shape of the keyboard altogether.

There's the issue of display size, being a bigger display but a bigger device, or a smaller display on a smaller device, obviously. I think the real issue, when it comes to this, is clarity and resolution. And this is where the touchscreen zooming could balance out the debate.

Will a touchscreen device like the iPhone become a replacement for my Mac? It'll be a nice supplement, but not a substitute. But could it pave the way for a device that would get more attention than my desktop itself? I hope so.

DTphonehome
Feb 21, 2007, 03:21 PM
Wow! Apple may actually have NEW mobile computers in the future! What an earth-shattering paradigm shift!
Seriously, people, what is the big deal here? Apple is looking for employees for their laptop division. Big deal. Are you surprised?

Telp
Feb 21, 2007, 03:27 PM
Wow! Apple may actually have NEW mobile computers in the future! What an earth-shattering paradigm shift!
Seriously, people, what is the big deal here? Apple is looking for employees for their laptop division. Big deal. Are you surprised?

Well a lot of people are excited

RodThePlod
Feb 21, 2007, 03:32 PM
This manager will work in tandem with Mobile Mac's Chief Technologist...

This quote makes it sound like an official product name! Mobile Mac sounds *just right*

Hope they release it soon :)

RodC

EagerDragon
Feb 21, 2007, 03:32 PM
A while back Apple was registering the name "Mobile Me", I guess the small units would be called "Mini-me". (bad joke).

This is not a phone.

Yes it may also mean a tablet prob 11" or 12", However if you remember there was also a patent about a laptop with no keyboard, it had a flat surface where you could place different masks like keyboards, piano, etc.......What if they imake the surface multi-touch sensitive and you do your gestures in this flat area and see the results in the screen? Not the same as a tablet but close to the same experience, no screen smudges and no screen scratches. I would prefer a tablet (better motor control) but this scheme sounds do-able. Not sure but I think this is likely (like it matters much what my opinion is, LOL).

Yes sounds like regular laptops will also be part of the family. This is very exciting!!!!!!!!
Regardless of the trust you put on Think Secret and others, the job posting is there for all to see.

emotion
Feb 21, 2007, 03:45 PM
8" screened tablet

like those rumours from about 2 or 3 years ago.

Marx55
Feb 21, 2007, 03:52 PM
The iPhone with built-in Mac OS X is the ultimate mobile Mac. WE DO NOT WANT THE PHONE -- WE WANT THE MOBILE MAC OS X INSIDE!!!

Hopefully Apple will release such no-phone iPhone form factor.

Imagine the possibilites as the ultimate presentation remote to use it as wireless computerless remote control for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. Huge halo effect on corporate, education and domestic markets.

Imagine it to carry your home folder and even all your stuff (including applications) booting off it. Imagine...

We need thousands of such wonder for our University!

Apple, can you deliver?

EagerDragon
Feb 21, 2007, 04:00 PM

They used the words "sub notebook", all current products are plain notebooks.

grumpy
Feb 21, 2007, 04:36 PM
Automotive, industrial and military applications come to mind.

DTphonehome
Feb 21, 2007, 04:43 PM

Uh, no it doesn't. Go back and read the job listing again.

slffl
Feb 21, 2007, 04:44 PM
Here is what I'm dreaming of based on some patents Apple filed.

A macbook pro much like todays, except you can pull the keyboard off, but in a touch/pressure sensative LCD, and use it Nintendo DS style.

Clive At Five
Feb 21, 2007, 05:32 PM

"Sub-component" and "Sub-module" are not equal to sub notebook. One is a device, the other is a collection of devices.

-Clive

ricksbrain
Feb 21, 2007, 05:56 PM
This is going to be the 10" iPod that Steve was joking about when he showed the podcasting feature in Garageband a while back. It was certainly being developed then...

MrCrowbar
Feb 21, 2007, 06:00 PM
What if they make the surface multi-touch sensitive and you do your gestures in this flat area and see the results in the screen? Not the same as a tablet but close to the same experience, no screen smudges and no screen scratches.

Errrrrr....
What you mean is a touchpad. Those things have been around for a while. They even do multi touch to some extend (2 finger scrolling and tapping). I thought about that idea a while back, the big problem is that you would not see where your pointers are on the screen when you lift up your fingers. On a touchscreen, you can see your fingers move on the screen and you see where it lands when you touch the screen. Your concept works for very small form factors where the touchpad and the screen are small and close together so you can see both at the same time without shifting your eyes. For reasonably big screens however, this won't work.

I think all integrated interfaces are the way to go, that is a big screen that you directly interact with. There are research projects underway that work by tracking your fingers with a camera so you don't need to touch the screen at all. You could, for example, put your thinb and index together for clicking, bitchslap the air to close a window, etc... Think of it as a sign language that your computer can understand. I actually like the idea of sign language to write texts on the computer... no hardware to touch and no voice required. Sign language is very fast too.

Rychiar
Feb 21, 2007, 06:17 PM
cept who knows sign language, lol:confused: :rolleyes:

Rocketman
Feb 21, 2007, 06:22 PM
:apple:phone is NOT a "Mac".

Exactly. These portable, multi-touch, (soon to be voice), wireless, OSX lite based CPU's are "Apple Tablets". Nano, not nano, and other form factors. But a new OS and a new user paradigm.

Not Macs, which are at their heart desktop computers. Even the portable ones are multi-purpose "PC's".

This new class of device of which the "iPhone" is one, is "not a Mac", but most certainly has much heritage from Macs.

Rocketman

EagerDragon
Feb 21, 2007, 06:43 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

ThinkSecret points (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0702mobilemac.html) to a new job description (http://jobs.apple.com/index.ajs?BID=1&method=mExternal.showJob&RID=5222) at Apple which is recruiting for a "Manager of Mobile Mac Architecture". The job description is as follows:

The job description could easily relate to existing Mac laptop projects, such as the Macbook and Macbook Pro, however, ThinkSecret has been led to believe that this position is "with a team working on a new line of Macs."

There have been persistent rumors that Apple is actively pursuing a sub-notebook (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/16/apple-sub-notebook-nearing-release/) form factors and patent applications (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/25/thin-macbook-with-bottom-mounted-optical-drive/) showing further attempts at miniaturization.

Finally, Apple's announcement of the iPhone with its "Touch OS X" has led many to speculate that this touch-enabled version of OS X could find its way into new mobile Mac solutions -- but this remains entirely speculative.

If it was dealing with the current line then the person currently in charge either left, was fired, or is not trusted with the new changes. So I can only assume this is something new, like the rumored sub-notebook and or the tablet.

Where there is smoke, there is ussualy a fire.

EagerDragon
Feb 21, 2007, 06:47 PM

Maybe but there was a job posting for the iPhone guy around January, this new posting have zero phone lingo on it, so I do not think it is related to the iPhone.

EagerDragon
Feb 21, 2007, 06:59 PM
Uh, no it doesn't. Go back and read the job listing again.

I stand corrected, it says "expected to have a working knowledge of all sub-modules
that are integrated into the computer and their development
roadmaps and future directions. This includes all hardware
sub-components,".

But IMHO it is a sub-notebook of some kind.

EagerDragon
Feb 21, 2007, 07:01 PM
"Sub-component" and "Sub-module" are not equal to sub notebook. One is a device, the other is a collection of devices.

-Clive

My mistake, I saw sub in the post and sub in TS article, you are correct, it does not use the words "sub-notebook".

Stella
Feb 21, 2007, 08:15 PM
Thus far there have been very few ( if any ) , especially smartphones that have been able to better the Psion 5.

Any Apple can - or maybe not.

Psion 5 plus cell phone capabilities - killer - nothing to touch it.

TenaciousPZ
Feb 21, 2007, 10:48 PM
One thing that is NOT entirely speculative is they didnt develop Multi-touch for use with one product.

Cult Follower
Feb 21, 2007, 11:02 PM
I don't know if I can believe this. Apple will most likely keep to it's two lines of portables, but add a subnotebook onto the MBP series. As for the touch screen stuff, it will most likely just make its way into new versions of the ipod in the near future.

But for the job posting, I think it is only for current portable team enhancement.

Cult Follower
Feb 21, 2007, 11:04 PM
One thing that is NOT entirely speculative is they didnt develop Multi-touch for use with one product.

I don't think Apple developed the Multi-touch platform. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

GregA
Feb 22, 2007, 01:02 AM
It sounds more like a re-organizing/re-emphasis to me, which would include MacBooks rather than replacing them or being a totally separate line.

Maybe - then again, maybe that's been the division name all along? I see no reason why there couldn't be a division that focuses on the 'mobile' experience - whether it's iPods, iPhone, MacBooks, etc.

It's good evolution in a company to take 2 different lines and make a division that bridges those lines.. to get some creative juices swapping between. And then once people get stuck in their ways, separate the lines again.

Anyway, if it was just MacBooks and MBPs, they'd call it the MacBook division, wouldn't they?

syriana
Feb 22, 2007, 02:30 AM
I don't think Apple developed the Multi-touch platform. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think they didn't develope all of it, buy they refine a concept they bought from fingerworks.
here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitouch)
I really think this is the future UI of computing. They could sell, as soon as the thing is less expensive (well is it??) new apple Display with the tech built in, the display should be orientable to become a "table". built the software part in a future OS (leopard or the next one, depending of the stage of developement); the finder should be redone, then, application by application, you could enhence the UI. you can apply the next UI to existing apple Hardware , all of them having an extern monitor port.
Build then, or before, iMac with multitouch, macbook&pro..
subnotebook could be first (does the price goes up tremendously with the size of the screen??)
what do you guys think??

mrthieme
Feb 22, 2007, 04:27 AM
With the mobile market soaring like it is, a tablet or subnotebook seems to make sense. We have already seen the mini multitouch mac tablet with the iphone, a larger version ( 10" or so) seems likely. The touch interface has been developed and scaling it up to larger forms seems a natural progression.

The notebooks, imacs and cinema displays all seem ready for hardware changes, could touchscreen be involved? Could multitouch be one of the secret Leapard features? ( could they hold something that integral from developers?) If so, it might explain the recent lack of new mac hardware everyone is complaining about, and we'll see nothing new until Leapard is ready to roll out.

Feb 22, 2007, 09:30 AM

Aside from the fact that Apple didn't develop multitouch, but they have a product using it, I think this is quite the case.

There have been successive steps taken through various patent filings, the iPhone product introduction, job postings, etc. that all point toward a particular product development roadmap that began with iPhone.

But iPhone is just the beginning. It now appears that an entire class of devices are being planned, from PDA/phones to tablet PCs, that would all likely incorporate multitouch.

I spoke with a former Apple Engineer and he wasn't surprised. He noted that Apple will typically put out a feeler product like iPhone and then send their customer engineers to get feedback on the device to identify what the public likes, dislikes, wants, doesn't need, etc. and then wrap their industrial design around that feedback while in the prototype stage for products that harness more of the technologies they tested with the "feeler" products, on a grander scale.

One can trace the immediate evolution of Apple's use of capacitance sensors to the 2nd generation iPod (for those who forget, the very first had a physical scrollwheel that rotated), and through the new mouse (I checked, it's got to be capacitance sensing because only skin contact triggers the buttons)...

The iPhone is the first full product built around this type of user input... and there are more to come. Surely, just as my friend was suggesting Apple's probably already testing prototypes of a multitouch UI and a multitouch Mac, patent filings emerged which suggested precisely that direction.

How long will it be? Under Steve Jobs' direction, Apple's product development cycles have been typically 2-3 years... that is, two to three years from concept to market. Yes, that fast...

Let's face it, Apple does not rest on their laurels waiting for anyone to catch up. The analysts thought Apple was going to have a tough road getting Intel Macs out within a year because they were estimating it would take an additional two to five years before Apple's OS would be developed to run on Intel. Lo and behold Apple stunned the analysts when announcing that all versions of OS X since 10.1 were already written as dual binaries. That means Apple's product development was FIVE YEARS ahead of the analysts expectations. That's humongous in terms of the computing industry.

So, here we are thinking what's Apple going to do next. Well, it should be obvious they've been thinking about that for several years already. By the time the Cingular talks started, the sketches were probably going up on the drawing board for the next product... and if they're filing patents now that means they've got working prototypes that they can no longer protect from intelligence leaks. That's about the time Apple files its patents for anyone who's been paying attention.

So, where are we headed from here? I think multitouch opens up some fantastic doors to degrees and axes of input that we haven't even thought of yet... and dimensions of feedback that parallel real-world object interaction as closely as possible in a two-dimensional space. I think we'll see in three years time an interface as fundamentally intuitive as the multitouch UI of the Pre-Crime computer in "Minority Report". No, I don't mean standing up in front of a huge transparent screen getting tired by waving your arms about all day... but the same basic type of gesturing, interaction and hierarchical organization with fluid graphics and animations.

And if you think that's unrealistic then you're giving my imagination and intuition more credit than Jony Ive's.

jhedges3
Feb 22, 2007, 10:49 AM

Agreed. But it seems like the iPhone isn’t their first device with multi-touch anyway. Trackpad scrolling was there all the way back to PowerBook and iBook lines.

But yes, it would seem that we’ll be seeing more multi-touch. To me though, it’s a question of how much. Will multi-touch be a primary way that a user interacts with the device or will its role be more limited, like a user only uses it under certain circumstances, can it be turned off?

In addition, where will it be in terms of software? Will the benefits of multi-touch be maximized throughout the OS or not?