Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
4G iPod has frozen in an 'on' state... display showing start of track, can't hear disk spinning, scroll wheel and all buttons including lock unresponsive so can't turn it off, disk doesn't mount by Firewire in Finder or Disk Utility, nor does it activate iPod HiFi when docked...

:(

Thoughts?

Thanks
BV

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Have you tried a reset: toggling the hold on and off and then holding down the center and play buttons for 5+ seconds...?

Yep. Display doesn't change when hold button is toggled and holding buttons does nothing.

It's almost as though the iPod is off with the display still on in a frozen state. It's been like that for the past 6 hours or so.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
if the reset isn't working... you might have to wait until its drained to get it to reset. although i would try plugging it in and giving it a reset

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
The buttons don't work. Plugging it into anything doesn't work. :(

ah see i can't remember if it was the 1st gen minis or the 4G iPods that has a reset function that would work when the unit was given power & button combo pressed, might have been the minis...

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
OK, it just sprang into life (i.e. had shut down) when I came back from making some coffee and glared at it. Honestly. :D

It must have been suffering after the night before but is now working properly, unlike me. :eek:

Thanks all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.