PDA

View Full Version : Analyst: Leopard Event and Ultra-Portables?

MacRumors
Feb 23, 2007, 02:52 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Analyst Ben Reitzes with UBS Investment Research published (via Appleinsider) (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2518) another research report this week with a couple of new predictions about Apple.

- "We believe Apple is likely to hold another event by April or May to launch Leopard and/or other new Mac products (models with larger displays at least)"

- "Apple may push iPhone technology into other products, including Macs next year and more 'ultra-portable' devices that can bridge the gap between media playing, basic wireless computing needs and even eventually some type of gaming and GPS capabilities."

In recent years, analyst reports have increasingly been the source of predictions about upcoming Apple products, though their accuracy has been very poor.

Benjamin Reitzes predictions (http://guides.macrumors.com/Benjamin_Reitzes_%28Analyst%29) (and his peers (http://guides.macrumors.com/Category:Analysts)) are being tracked in our Guide pages (http://guides.macrumors.com/).

alec
Feb 23, 2007, 02:54 PM
Another analyst speculating about make-believe future devices. Didn't we have an article just a few days ago stating that Apple was going to concentrate on the existing product line??

wakerider017
Feb 23, 2007, 02:55 PM
This is just pure speculation...

Shouldn't this be moved to page 2?

mattscott306
Feb 23, 2007, 02:56 PM
Yeah i agree with alec. I now say I'll beleive leopard when I see it.

MatthewCobb
Nothing to see here folks. Move along, please...

rkriheli
yawn. i could post an article about it too if i read all the stuff on macrumors the past week. neeexxxt....

;)

Peace
Feb 23, 2007, 02:58 PM
I am still convinced we will see Leopard by April.
Or before.
No later than April though.It's just a question of when Jobs wants to show it off.

roland.g
Feb 23, 2007, 03:06 PM
If Apple announces an event, then Ben can report that. Till then he got squat.

jdechko
Feb 23, 2007, 03:06 PM
I sure hope this happens. As I've mentioned before, if they increase the drive space in the iPhone and remove the phone and the 3G/GPRS/EDGE/whatever that's in there (leaving the wi-fi, of course) I'll buy one. iNewton, anyone :D

nagromme
Feb 23, 2007, 03:08 PM
That Guide tracking analyst success rates is great. (But why no Enderle? He's in charge of a whole GROUP of analysts :) )

In general terms I agree that hardware ready shortly before Leopard would be delayed for Leopard and come out at the same time or soon after.

I think it's possible that even APPLE doesn't know yet exactly when Leopard will be ready. Work may still be incomplete on certain things.

Glenny2lappies
Feb 23, 2007, 03:08 PM
Leopard in April or May.

Or June.

Or July.

Wow, what a prediction!

Do they read Tarot?

LostPacket
Feb 23, 2007, 03:22 PM
I think they'll add multi-touch functionality to the trackpads of the next 'Books (i.e. zooming in/out, custom buttons, etc). Now if only I was an analyst...

MacVault
Feb 23, 2007, 03:25 PM
Yea, tell us something we don't know.

This just in... Leopard and new Macs due out sometime in 2007. Yeh, fRiCkiN Yeh!!!

baseballman1243
Feb 23, 2007, 03:26 PM
Blah, blah, blah, how many of these have I seen.

danielwsmithee
Feb 23, 2007, 03:28 PM
Tortora was the wors of all the analysts, that guy just pulls things out of his glutious maximus. At least some of the other analysts have guesed at least one thing right.

chubad
Feb 23, 2007, 03:28 PM
The sad thing is that these guys make well into 6 figures to spew this stuff. Where do I apply?:confused:

Leopard will include iLife and iwork and be priced at $159.00:eek:

You guys now owe me $100,000. Just send it to my paypal account.:D

fblack
Feb 23, 2007, 03:40 PM
Well I guess apple security is working well and overtime--no one knows squat. Maybe we should put steve jobs in charge of homeland security? :D

lazyrighteye
Feb 23, 2007, 03:41 PM
During a mid-afternoon session in the back stall at work yesterday, I read something in the WSJ about Google's threat to MS based on their new suite of online office-type apps: mail, spread sheet, word processing, etc.

Made me wonder if one of the secret features in Leopard has something to do with Google... possible implementation of these new Google tools in Safari and/or Finder? I know, random. Wacky.

Any of you beta boys/girls out there know if something like this could be hidden from you, thus far?

aricher
Feb 23, 2007, 03:48 PM

At this rate Leopard will HAVE to include iLife. I'm hoping the drop the year-style naming convention for iLife ('06, '07, etc.) as it wouldn't make sense to introduce iLife 2007 1/4 of the way through the year.

Analog Kid
Feb 23, 2007, 03:52 PM
The sad thing is that these guys make well into 6 figures to spew this stuff. Where do I apply?:confused:
Maddening isn't it? The irony is that their clients could get better information for free by watching this site.

I've been wondering how far Apple will go with their "everything's included" policy. Including Front Row was a no-brainer, but anything else?

Analog Kid
Feb 23, 2007, 03:55 PM
...it wouldn't make sense to introduce iLife 2007 1/4 of the way through the year.
I know-- it'll just lead to people accusing Apple of copying Microsoft again...

chubad
Feb 23, 2007, 03:58 PM
At this rate Leopard will HAVE to include iLife. I'm hoping the drop the year-style naming convention for iLife ('06, '07, etc.) as it wouldn't make sense to introduce iLife 2007 1/4 of the way through the year.

Yup. It would be pretty silly to introduce iLife 07 in June. I seriously think that it will be included in Leopard. I don't think, however that Apple will include it with out increasing the price. It will still be a bargin, but I highly doubt they would give up all the cash that selling iLife over and over to everyone has generated.

Abstract
Feb 23, 2007, 04:01 PM
Wow, thanks Captain Obvious.

"And this year, Apple will continue selling iPods, and making money from them." Someone check his crystal ball. I think it's just getting RSS feeds from MacRumours.

WillGonz
Feb 23, 2007, 04:04 PM
How much does this Analyst make?

I predict Apple will bring out something new in the next 6 months.

nsjoker
Feb 23, 2007, 04:20 PM
Any moron can predict this. This is eventually where all tech companies will go. More portable devices with basic wireless computing needs? Duh.

emotion
Feb 23, 2007, 04:25 PM
I want a 11" ws full spec mbp. I think we might get an 8 inch screen multitouch device.

emotion
Feb 23, 2007, 04:28 PM
During a mid-afternoon session in the back stall at work yesterday, I read something in the WSJ about Google's threat to MS based on their new suite of online office-type apps: mail, spread sheet, word processing, etc.

Made me wonder if one of the secret features in Leopard has something to do with Google... possible implementation of these new Google tools in Safari and/or Finder? I know, random. Wacky.

I like that angle. People tend to object to having a word processor in a browser, like it's not a real app. A skeleton browser to host these google office things that's part of the finder would be pretty cool.

Rich1989
Feb 23, 2007, 05:56 PM
:confused: I think they'll add multi-touch functionality to the trackpads of the next 'Books (i.e. zooming in/out, custom buttons, etc). Now if only I was an analyst...

Could these sort of functions be added through software updates (lepoard perhaps?) or would there have to be hardware updates aswell? the touchpad can detect one or two fingers but can it detect movements in the same way the iPhone screen can? any ideas anyone?

phillipjfry
Feb 23, 2007, 05:56 PM
I like that angle. People tend to object to having a word processor in a browser, like it's not a real app. A skeleton browser to host these google office things that's part of the finder would be pretty cool.

I donno if you're being sarcastic or not :p but...

Where I am, internet connectivity is something that is prayed for everyday. Sometimes I Might need to type something and not have access to google office suites :)
Good idea, but IMHO, something that would be like "that's pretty cool *opens up office 2003*":)

Peace
Feb 23, 2007, 05:57 PM
:confused:

Could these sort of functions be added through software updates (lepoard perhaps?) or would there have to be hardware updates aswell? the touchpad can detect one or two fingers but can it detect movements in the same way the iPhone screen can? any ideas anyone?

I'm not sure but I think the Multi-Touch technology is different so it won't work on touchpads.

Just a guess though.

But if it is the same we can look forward to Multi-Touch Macs in the future.

Samwise592
Feb 23, 2007, 06:52 PM
so, regardless of when Leopard is released, do you guys think the upgrades to the macbook/pro line will be in line with the release? or a month or two after?

Feb 23, 2007, 07:07 PM
From the article:
Looking slightly longer term, the UBS analyst believes Apple may push iPhone technology into other products, including Macs next year and more 'ultra-portable' devices that can bridge the gap between media playing, basic wireless computing needs and even eventually some type of gaming and GPS capabilities.

"We would not be surprised to see a new device this calendar year, featuring touch screen functionality," he wrote. "While the PC market is rather mature with growth expected to be 12 percent in 2007 (driven by growth in emerging markets), the portable segment continues to show strong growth with 28 percent growth expected."

I hate to say "I told you so (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3328652#post3328652)" but... well, no I don't. I actually enjoy it.

:D

GorillaPaws
Feb 23, 2007, 07:58 PM

I know this is a bit off-topic now, but I've heard lots of people get excited for this tech (the web-services expanding to take over the roles of traditional apps). I simply don't see the advantages and can appreciate some of the major disadvantages like phillipjfry mentioned and also the potential security issues that go along with exporting your documents to the web. Could someone explain to me why it would be better to do word-processing on Google's servers instead of on a dedicated app on my local machine? I think I'm overlooking something major, but can't seem to figure out what it is. Thanks.

macfan881
Feb 23, 2007, 09:55 PM
actaully i like that idea of apple including everyhting in esp for 159 id think that would be the ultamite Vista killer way of saying switch to a mac

SiliconAddict
Feb 23, 2007, 11:01 PM
I'm convinced by the almost child like awe that Jobs displayed with dinking around with the scrolling feature on the iPhone at MWSF that we WILL see some sort of tablet type device in the future. I think the popularity of the iPhone, or lack of, and Jobs will determine if there is a future for a tablet type interface at Apple Inc. The iPhone is testing the waters for a more robust implementation in Apple's other products. I could see a convertible tablet in Apple's future. Standard laptop for most tasks with the ability to go tablet if or when the necessity arises.

I just got myself a HP\Compaq slate device for uber cheap. 1Ghz\2GB RAM\40GB hard drive, what would you expect? I'm hooked for reading books on this thing. And my PDF's are a breeze to mark up and annotate.
The tablet has a very narrow set of uses but they are uses that should not be disregarded as pointless. A pure slate device for Apple? No. A convertable that is a tablet and a laptop? Maybe.

emotion
Feb 24, 2007, 02:39 AM
I donno if you're being sarcastic or not :p but...

no sarcasm... (this time :) )

Where I am, internet connectivity is something that is prayed for everyday. Sometimes I Might need to type something and not have access to google office suites :)
Good idea, but IMHO, something that would be like "that's pretty cool *opens up office 2003*":)

With Google selling their office on subscription (announced this week) to businesses i think what I say is even more plausible. The web is now the platform, not the OS.

As for network access. You're in the minority, well at least the Google people must think so...

bigjohn
Feb 24, 2007, 11:19 AM
Next year, let's worry about 2007 Mr. Analyst

Rockabizzydilly
Feb 24, 2007, 01:54 PM
So the rumour goes around that there might be new designs and stuff for like Macbook Pro and stuff coming soon...

I was just doubting between a Macbook Pro C2D 15" 2.33 or the 17" version, or even, but then it is obviously not a laptop, the iMac 24" but then with options.

I can not choose, certainly not now there might be new ones, would be a shame when new one's would appear just when I bought that relatively expensive blingin' apple machine.
Someone who can give a bit of advice in this?
And do you all think that when Leopard ships, on the same day the Macs in the shop will have Leopard in stead of Tiger thus for free?

Thanks a lot!

:apple:

Rockabizzydilly
Feb 24, 2007, 02:06 PM
True, but if I do not misunderstand it, this might be a major change.
I've even heard from someone who worked at Apple that they might put two C2D's in some Macbook Pro's, now if that is true it is surely better to wait, ain't that?

Leopard seems to be for April, will it ship directly on new bought machines then?

scstsut
Feb 24, 2007, 08:19 PM
Look for the iBook to be reborn (http://sqribbles.blogspot.com/2007/02/ibook-after-macbook.html) in a smaller form factor. Bridging the gap between the MacBook and the iPhone/iPod (the multi-touch iPod that's got to be forthcoming).

Finally, the technology is here to make the tablet form factor palatable to His Steveness.

Cult Follower
Feb 24, 2007, 11:24 PM
I would really like to see an apple ultraportable.

twoodcc
Feb 25, 2007, 01:50 AM
yeah, this doesn't seem to mean much, but looking forward to Leopard either way....