PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Details from iPhone Keynote Speech

MacRumors
Feb 23, 2007, 10:08 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Actioncorp TV (http://actioncorp.libsyn.com/) posts an interesting video (Youtube) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALQwmQrM-Z8) detailing some features of the iPhone which were glossed over during the keynote.

These "hidden" features include:

- Calendar screenshot, and interface
- Google maps traffic
- Letter tapping to "jump" in lists
- Ringtone syncing from iTunes

ActioncorpTV has also posted (http://actioncorp.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=185313) a higher quality version on their website.

Apple introduced the iPhone at Macworld San Francisco 2007 in January. The iPhone is expected to be released in June 2007, but a teaser ad (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/23/apple-to-advertise-iphone-during-academy-awards/) is expected during the Academy Awards on Sunday Feb 25th, 2007.

Rocksaurus
Feb 23, 2007, 10:13 PM
The letter tapping to jump in lists may have not been in the Keynote but it was in the presentations at MWSF. For the record...

coumerelli
Feb 23, 2007, 10:16 PM
PIM syncing can hardly count for a 'hidden' feature.

Grimace
Feb 23, 2007, 10:21 PM
interesting stuff -- good work!

bretm
Feb 23, 2007, 10:25 PM
None of this was glossed over in my book. People that think it's just an apple branded smartphone need to go back and watch the Keynote. This thing is the most advance iPod to date. Amazing iPod! Can anyone's iPod do cover flow? And as far as a phone goes, how many of you can surf through your voicemails on the screen, in any order? Answer, none of you. Who has an actual web browser? Who has iPhoto basically built in? Have you folks looked at the split screen scrolling email? Same with the address book. People are just reading the specs and are like... uh, my treo has that or blackberry, or whatever. From what I've seen and used, they aren't the same. This thing is a sort of paradigm shift. Kinda like how the macintosh changed our way of thinking of computer interfaces and purposes, this thing may very well reshape our idea of a mobile phone/communication device. There were mp3 players before the iPod, but do they matter anymore? Not really. Even if it just sparks competitive innovation an copies (which it already has) then it's an important part of history.

RedDragon870503
Feb 23, 2007, 10:31 PM
Nothing huge, but good work.

beastdanight
Feb 23, 2007, 10:32 PM
I can't even see how you guys analyzed so poorly the google maps image

It's clear that the icon on the right relates to a sort of "Get directions" and the icon on the left surely relates to "Find Restaurant". Both are international symbols!

Clicking the following link, you can find some pics that i created so you can all see what i am talking about.

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0251962501/iphone/directions.jpg

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0251962501/iphone/restaurant.jpg

samh004
Feb 23, 2007, 10:40 PM

It's clear that the icon on the right relates to a sort of "Get directions" and the icon on the left surely relates to "Find Restaurant". Both are international symbols!

Clicking the following link, you can find some pics that i created so you can all see what i am talking about.

You raise a very good point, regardless, it's good to find out some new-ish stuff on the iPhone, things were getting a little stale.

MattyMac
Feb 23, 2007, 10:43 PM
Yes! Keep em' coming! I love it when bits and pieces of info on the iPhone come rolling in! I CAN'T WAIT:apple:

Toe
It was strange that Steve showed the Washington Monument as a demo of what you can do with satellite maps... that's nothing compared to what you can do with just the featured he demonstrated:

Imagine you're in a downtown area of a city, but are disoriented as to where you need to walk to get to your destination.

All you have to do is look up the area you are in, zoom in on the satellite view, and look for the buildings around you.

Even if the phone doesn't have integrated GPS to the maps, you can still orient yourself very quickly. That is gonna be amazing.

CJD2112
You think that was Steve Jobs' actual phone number in the iTunes phone section? lol :p

Xeem
Feb 23, 2007, 10:50 PM
An impressive little video of an impressive little device. Having the letters along the right side if the screen when scrolling is incredibly well thought-out.

Analog Kid
Feb 23, 2007, 10:51 PM
I don't care about syncing rings with iTunes. I want to be able to create rings in Garageband.

gauchogolfer
Feb 23, 2007, 10:55 PM
I don't care about syncing rings with iTunes. I want to be able to create rings in Garageband.

Given that you can create/import into iTunes, I'd think that this would be possible.

rikers_mailbox
Feb 23, 2007, 11:06 PM
I suppose the iPhone will require Leopard, makes you wonder what level of integration Apple has developed between the two.

iTunes/iPod was a good start... but this could be great. :eek:

nagromme
Feb 23, 2007, 11:09 PM
I noticed the letters on the side at Apple.com, and could guess what they were for. This makes the iPhone MUCH easier to navigate through long lists than an iPod with wheel. Which is saying something. In fact, between letter-tapping and gesture-scrolling, getting through a list on an iPhone will be even fast and easier than with a mouse! (And emails etc. will all benefit, not just song listings.)

iEdd
Feb 23, 2007, 11:11 PM
It was strange that Steve showed the Washington Monument as a demo of what you can do with satellite maps... that's nothing compared to what you can do with just the featured he demonstrated:

Imagine you're in a downtown area of a city, but are disoriented as to where you need to walk to get to your destination.

All you have to do is look up the area you are in, zoom in on the satellite view, and look for the buildings around you.

Even if the phone doesn't have integrated GPS to the maps, you can still orient yourself very quickly. That is gonna be amazing.

Except that you probably won't be able to connect to some random WiFi network, so that can be ruled out. Is EDGE like broadband? Otherwise you could be there for quite awhile 'orientating' yourself. :(

Feb 23, 2007, 11:19 PM
I'll I want to know is if the iPhone will be able to display PDF files. I need access to PDF documents on the go.

Toe
Feb 23, 2007, 11:20 PM
Except that you probably won't be able to connect to some random WiFi network, so that can be ruled out. Is EDGE like broadband? Otherwise you could be there for quite awhile 'orientating' yourself. :(

Dunno... could someone with an EDGE phone go to http://www.google.com/gmm/ and tell us what it's like? :)

bretm
Feb 23, 2007, 11:21 PM
I noticed the letters on the side at Apple.com, and could guess what they were for. This makes the iPhone MUCH easier to navigate through long lists than an iPod with wheel. Which is saying something. In fact, between letter-tapping and gesture-scrolling, getting through a list on an iPhone will be even fast and easier than with a mouse! (And emails etc. will all benefit, not just song listings.)

You've been able to do this in almost every relevant dialog window on the mac since I can remember. Finder, open, save, iTunes, etc.

Press a letter in cover flow... cool. drool.

samh004
Feb 23, 2007, 11:23 PM
I'll I want to know is if the iPhone will be able to display PDF files. I need access to PDF documents on the go.

Seeing as Preview works very well for that right now, I don't see why they couldn't make a mini-version of it for the iPhone, but I guess you'll still have to wait to find out :P

Sean7512
Feb 23, 2007, 11:32 PM

Steve said in an interview that it will display PDF's. The question went something like this...

Interviewer - What about file formats? Can we open Word or Excel documents or anything?

Steve - Right now it is undecided, but it IS ABLE to display PDF documents

bretm
Feb 23, 2007, 11:36 PM
Steve said in an interview that it will display PDF's. The question went something like this...

Interviewer - What about file formats? Can we open Word or Excel documents or anything?

Steve - Right now it is undecided, but it IS ABLE to display PDF documents

Well, since mail can display pdfs I think it would have to as well. But what people really want to know, and what I think Steve is "undecided" on, is just how much of a computer this thing is going to be at first. Will it have preview? iWork? You can bet it's planned, but whether they come free or not is possibly the undecided part. And perhaps they just waiting to see what's finished by release.

nagromme
Feb 24, 2007, 12:04 AM
You've been able to do this in almost every relevant dialog window on the mac since I can remember. Finder, open, save, iTunes, etc.

Press a letter in cover flow... cool. drool.

Yep--and that works in Cover Flow already too. But that needs a mouse AND keyboard :) iPhone will need only your finger, to do both quick-seek to a letter and then fine-scroll to the specific item.

The variable-speed thing is better with the iPhone too: you just move your finger as fast as you want, and--I assume--put your finger back down to stop the drift.

iPoodOverZune
Feb 24, 2007, 12:05 AM
Not that this is a very revealing stuff, but gosh, how are people so dedicated to discovering iPhone! They are looking at blurry pictures to find out a clue to its future features. Now who does that to Prada or samsung phone! and yet people say this feature is present in this phone or that phone. Still no body seems to pay attention to that. iPhone, on the other hand, seems like a never-ending talk of the electronics town. Having said that, the person who noticed that ringtone feature making up an exclusive menu item must be applauded! :)

nagromme
Feb 24, 2007, 12:05 AM

Yes, according to Steve Jobs in this article:
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/the-ultimate-iphone-frequently-asked-questions/

Some_Big_Spoon
Feb 24, 2007, 12:35 AM
Meh. Wake me when it handles Exchange.

Whistleway
Feb 24, 2007, 12:49 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..

I know mods are going to delete this.. but I think i speak for many here, when i wrote those..

MrCrowbar
Feb 24, 2007, 12:52 AM
Given that you can create/import into iTunes, I'd think that this would be possible.

Or, if it has to go over the store, you could create your own ringtone, build up a record label, get involved with Apple and let them get your ringtone over the iTunes store. Then dowload your ringtone right on your phone and the fee for the ringtone is remitted directly to your credit card, you just lose whatever Apple makes when they sell stuff on iTunes.

:p :rolleyes:

Asar
Feb 24, 2007, 01:04 AM
what would be really nice is if the contacts menu had a cover flow feature... so for kicks, you could scroll through your caller id pictures like album art, tap one to call them.... hmmmm..

bdj21ya
Feb 24, 2007, 01:06 AM
I have to disagree with his ringtone assumption. That tab could just as easily be used to simply select which playlists will be loaded into the ringtone section of the phone.

shadowfax
Feb 24, 2007, 01:15 AM
I have to disagree with his ringtone assumption. That tab could just as easily be used to simply select which playlists will be loaded into the ringtone section of the phone.

Yeah... I hope apple didn't have to cave on that complete, utter idiocy. I can't imagine the outcry from people at the thought of owning a song they bought, having it on the device, and STILL having to buy the stupid 30-second ringtone. I really can't imagine that happening. Someone would just write a hack to get your own mp3's to run, for sure.

chubad
Feb 24, 2007, 01:20 AM
Whew. Another iPhone thread. I was going into withdrawal. There hasn't been a new one in the last few hours or so.:rolleyes:

macster4
Feb 24, 2007, 01:33 AM
It's not at all surprising that Google Maps shows traffic, as that's a standard feature of Google Maps Mobile.

I have it on my phone, which...you know...has 3G broadband access...Which the iPhone so disappointingly lacks. =\

ipoddin
Feb 24, 2007, 02:05 AM

Concur with macster as well. I love how Jobs makes it sound like this is the first phone ever to feature Google maps with real time traffic. Yes, the iPhone has some cool stuff, but this one stuck out at me like, come on, practically every modern cell phone can have real time traffic from Google maps on their phone.

ipoddin
Feb 24, 2007, 02:13 AM
None of this was glossed over in my book. People that think it's just an apple branded smartphone need to go back and watch the Keynote. This thing is the most advance iPod to date. Amazing iPod! Can anyone's iPod do cover flow? And as far as a phone goes, how many of you can surf through your voicemails on the screen, in any order? Answer, none of you.

Some cool stuff granted. However:

Who has an actual web browser?

Meh, Smartphones have Pocket IE, and Opera Mini. Granted not a "complete" browser, but they aren't WAP browsers either.

Who has iPhoto basically built in? Have you folks looked at the split screen scrolling email? Same with the address book. People are just reading the specs and are like... uh, my treo has that or blackberry, or whatever.

Again, meh. With "Missing Sync" for the Mac you can sync iCal, iPhoto, iTunes (granted not music you bought) Safari bookmarks, notes, tasks and address book with a windows mobile phone.

From what I've seen and used, they aren't the same. This thing is a sort of paradigm shift. Kinda like how the macintosh changed our way of thinking of computer interfaces and purposes, this thing may very well reshape our idea of a mobile phone/communication device. There were mp3 players before the iPod, but do they matter anymore? Not really. Even if it just sparks competitive innovation an copies (which it already has) then it's an important part of history.

It's a cool phone and I'd love to have one, but it's not the paradigm shift you make it out to be.

ahuman7341
Feb 24, 2007, 02:17 AM
You think that was Steve Jobs' actual phone number in the iTunes phone section? lol :p

I dare someone to call it.

408-996-1010 for thoes who missed it.

bretm
Feb 24, 2007, 02:28 AM
Again, meh. With "Missing Sync" for the Mac you can sync iCal, iPhoto, iTunes (granted not music you bought) Safari bookmarks, notes, tasks and address book with a windows mobile phone.

But that windows mobile phone is crap. As you said, not a real browser, so what use are your bookmarks? And how is the photobrowsing of thousands of files on it? Hmmm... click, wait. click wait. zoom, wait. Meh meh meh. (what the heck is meh anyway?) And we all agreee the iPod is pretty much the best music player around, and the iphone is even better. We haven't seen the calendar, but you can bet it's probably cooler than iCal itself. And the iPhone was extensively shown to be pretty amazing at scrolling through contacts, chatting with them, emailing them, setting up conference calls, and the voice mail function is amazing as well. The way it all interacts is where it's at. Just like the way it all interacts on a mac vs. a pc. That's why we all use macs instead of PCs and Zunes, no? Anyone can put the chips together with a screen and some software and show a database, play music and show photos. But doing it right is the paradigm shift. The original macintosh was nowhere near as powerful as other computers in it's day. Not even other apple's. But it's a good analogy.

You know, I can sync all this stuff with my Motorola 551 flip phone. But I don't care, because it's crap.

SiliconAddict
Feb 24, 2007, 02:33 AM
But that windows mobile phone is crap.

Ummm no it isn't.

ipoddin
Feb 24, 2007, 02:41 AM
But that windows mobile phone is crap. As you said, not a real browser, so what use are your bookmarks? And how is the photobrowsing of thousands of files on it? Hmmm... click, wait. click wait. zoom, wait. Meh meh meh. (what the heck is meh anyway?) And we all agreee the iPod is pretty much the best music player around, and the iphone is even better. We haven't seen the calendar, but you can bet it's probably cooler than iCal itself. And the iPhone was extensively shown to be pretty amazing at scrolling through contacts, chatting with them, emailing them, setting up conference calls, and the voice mail function is amazing as well. The way it all interacts is where it's at. Just like the way it all interacts on a mac vs. a pc. That's why we all use macs instead of PCs and Zunes, no? Anyone can put the chips together with a screen and some software and show a database, play music and show photos. But doing it right is the paradigm shift. The original macintosh was nowhere near as powerful as other computers in it's day. Not even other apple's. But it's a good analogy.

You know, I can sync all this stuff with my Motorola 551 flip phone. But I don't care, because it's crap.

So you've used a windows mobile PDA phone lately? You've browsed the web on it with 3G? What use are bookmarks? It's an html browser! Oh, can't wait to see what it's like photo browsing thousands of photos on the iphone. But browsing a decent collection of photos on a windows phone works great, esp with a 400mhz processor built in. Thousands of programs are also available for it already, how many for the iPhone?

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's cool. But man, you make it out to sound like the second coming of Christ and you've yet to see one in person.

c-Row
Feb 24, 2007, 03:19 AM
Whew. Another iPhone thread. I was going into withdrawal. There hasn't been a new one in the last few hours or so.:rolleyes:

... says somebody who has...

Quit Whining and Enjoy Your Mac.

... in his sig. :p

joshysquashy
Feb 24, 2007, 04:04 AM
Heres what I think the ringtones tab in itunes is for:

You can select an mp3 file, clip the beginning and/or end of the track till its exactly what you want. then listen to a preview and click go!

it then creates a fade in/out at the beginning and end. you therefore get only the bit you want of your fav songs, not the entire track (which never gets played in time!)

What do you guys think? could this work with protected files (it would have to). perhaps non destructive editing is in order - a file that sets the settings.

lokedhs
Feb 24, 2007, 04:13 AM
- Calendar screenshot, and interface
- Google maps traffic
- Letter tapping to "jump" in lists
- Ringtone syncing from iTunes

I watched the presentation and I was surprised at how much time was spent presenting Google Maps on the phone. I have that already, and so does everybody wlse whose phone can do Java. Google already have a mobile client which can do all those things that was shown.

I don't have so many comments ont he other features. Using MP3's as ringtones is nothing new. Most phones can do that these days, but I agree it would be neat to be able to do it directly from iTunes.

dubby
Feb 24, 2007, 04:26 AM
is the only way to lock the phone via putting it to sleep and waking it back up? seems like there should be a lock button somewhere, but steve made it sound like there wasn't...

MacFly123
Feb 24, 2007, 04:46 AM
what would be really nice is if the contacts menu had a cover flow feature... so for kicks, you could scroll through your caller id pictures like album art, tap one to call them.... hmmmm..

I really have to say....THAT IS A GENIOUS IDEA MY FRIEND...SERIOUSLY GENIOUS. What I love about Cover Flow is that it brings back the connection to the albums, that could bring back the connection culturally and socially VERY COOL IDEA :) ALL HAIL BUDDY FLOW ;)

You get all props for the idea, maybe me for the name ;) and if I might add my idea, i know the keyboard is supposed to be good, but for those with fat fingers, why not make it so when ur turn the phone the keyboard goes to widescreen just while you type with a small blank area above so you can see what ur typing??? ;) you like???

Shagrat
Feb 24, 2007, 04:50 AM
I dare someone to call it.

408-996-1010 for thoes who missed it.

well it's CLEARLY his actual phone number...

http://homepage.mac.com/steve/Resume.html

MacFly123
Feb 24, 2007, 04:58 AM
is the only way to lock the phone via putting it to sleep and waking it back up? seems like there should be a lock button somewhere, but steve made it sound like there wasn't...

That's a very good question! I actually thought that myself when I was watching.... Anybody have an insight?

ppnkg
Feb 24, 2007, 05:31 AM
I'm getting tired with all this. We''l see what the phone is all about when apple releases it. And where is Leopard, iLife etc? It's not that we imagine products coming. It's apple's strategy to keep us waiting, and the wait begins to last too long now.

Shagrat
Feb 24, 2007, 05:43 AM
I'm getting tired with all this. We''l see what the phone is all about when apple releases it. And where is Leopard, iLife etc? It's not that we imagine products coming. It's apple's strategy to keep us waiting, and the wait begins to last too long now.

and as soon as something (New MacPro/iMac update/new factor MBP/whatever) IS announced, then the "I only just bought a new (pick from bracket list above) and it's already outdated.... WhyowhyoWhy does Apple do this to me...I'm going to switch to Windows! threads will suddenly appear.

I am waiting for a new Macpro , as i WANT to replace my aging G4 for desktop use, and I will buy it when I am good and ready. But i'm not gonna moan and moan about "It's always iPod/iPhone news these days...where's the Mac stuff?" when it is released, it's released.

Jeez, Apple completely moves it's entire computing line over to Intel in months, and people STILL whine about not getting what they "NEED" when what most actually mean is what they WANT!

Go and buy a DELL/HP and get Vista for all I care.

Apple will release new stuff when they are good and ready to do so.

awulf
Feb 24, 2007, 06:26 AM
None of this was glossed over in my book. People that think it's just an apple branded smartphone need to go back and watch the Keynote. This thing is the most advance iPod to date. Amazing iPod! Can anyone's iPod do cover flow? And as far as a phone goes, how many of you can surf through your voicemails on the screen, in any order? Answer, none of you. Who has an actual web browser? Who has iPhoto basically built in? Have you folks looked at the split screen scrolling email? Same with the address book. People are just reading the specs and are like... uh, my treo has that or blackberry, or whatever. From what I've seen and used, they aren't the same. This thing is a sort of paradigm shift. Kinda like how the macintosh changed our way of thinking of computer interfaces and purposes, this thing may very well reshape our idea of a mobile phone/communication device. There were mp3 players before the iPod, but do they matter anymore? Not really. Even if it just sparks competitive innovation an copies (which it already has) then it's an important part of history.

With 3 Australia they send you voice mails in WAV format to your free 3 email account which your phone can check for free or you can use webmail from a computer.

Also with the new Sony Ericsson smart phones like my M600i it has a full version of Opera 8 and it renders most web pages like on a computer

There are phones with the technology already out that the iPhone has, but the amazing part of the iPhone is its user interface, its far a head of any other phone out there. And that's what would make me dump the M600i for an iPhone any day.

clevin
Feb 24, 2007, 07:22 AM
i know first two are common functions in most PDAs, smartphones, so I would be surprised if iPhone won't have them.

csimmons
Feb 24, 2007, 07:37 AM
So you've used a windows mobile PDA phone lately? You've browsed the web on it with 3G? What use are bookmarks? It's an html browser! Oh, can't wait to see what it's like photo browsing thousands of photos on the iphone. But browsing a decent collection of photos on a windows phone works great, esp with a 400mhz processor built in. Thousands of programs are also available for it already, how many for the iPhone?

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's cool. But man, you make it out to sound like the second coming of Christ and you've yet to see one in person.

Yet another one who misses the point. Who gives a ***** if Windows Mobile has this or that feature; the iPhone is not about the features, but HOW they are implemented. I use WM on a fairly regular basis, and the UI SUCKS. This is why the iPhone will likely be a success.

beastdanight
Feb 24, 2007, 07:39 AM
I also forgot to mention that in the calendar image you guys didn't realize that the icon that you don't understand is really a button saying "Today" Just like we have the little middle button in iCal calendar

Again, clicking the following link, you can find some pics that i created so you can all see what i am talking about.

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0251962501/iphone/today.jpg

SheriffParker
Feb 24, 2007, 08:07 AM

Well the sample iPhone on the http://www.apple.com/ front page has this "slide to unlock" thing that suggests you'd have to slide your finger across the width of the iPhone's touch screen to unlock it. Something that would be hard to do accidentally while its in your pocket.

Lepton
Feb 24, 2007, 08:28 AM
I'm going to be optimistic about ringtones and say it's not going to be a separate kind of media to be sold. It's just that ringtones are short. You don't need a five minute tune for a ring. And as most people who make MP3 ringtones know, the beginning part of a tune isn't usually the best part to use for a ring. So you need to specify a chunk of a tune for each ringtone.

So I expect you will want a separate list of ringtones, short segments taken from regular tunes. I'll guess that iTunes will let you select part of any tune to use as a ringtone. It might be a list of tunes from your library, with starting points and durations. It think that's more likely than copying a chunk of a DRM'ed tune for a separate DRM'ed rintone file. The tab might have a little facility for isolating and previewing the part of the tune you want for your tones. It might be set up like the loops in Garageband. It might even accept such loop files. Nice!

I expect the store will sell short tunes expecially made for ringtones, at the standard $.99, but I also expect you can also use a chunk of any tune in your library.

Feb 24, 2007, 08:42 AM
Well the sample iPhone on the http://www.apple.com/ front page has this "slide to unlock" thing that suggests you'd have to slide your finger across the width of the iPhone's touch screen to unlock it. Something that would be hard to do accidentally while its in your pocket.

LOCK != UNLOCK

andysc
Feb 24, 2007, 08:53 AM
I don't like the touchscreen lock feature. I've always loved having the ability to unlock/lock my ipods when they were in my pocket. With the iPhone it seems like it would be hard to lock/unlock it while it's in the pocket.

skochan
Feb 24, 2007, 08:54 AM

I couldn't agree with you more! And, incidentally, I looked back at the original posts to this site when the iPod was introduced. It's a fun exercise. You'll see how many of the posts thought it was too late, too expensive, and was just like all the other players on the market at the time!

skochan
Feb 24, 2007, 08:59 AM
I use WM on a fairly regular basis, and the UI SUCKS. This is why the iPhone will likely be a success.

You are so right! I can't tell you how many times I've been tempted to throw my Treo 700w out the window because I pressed the wrong button. Bring on the iPhone!

OdduWon
Feb 24, 2007, 09:21 AM
Whats next? Google Sketchup ;)

Toe
Feb 24, 2007, 10:03 AM
Or, if it has to go over the store, you could create your own ringtone, build up a record label, get involved with Apple and let them get your ringtone over the iTunes store.
It's not unimaginably difficult...

http://www.apple.com/itunes/musicmarketing/faq.html

You don't need a five minute tune for a ring. And as most people who make MP3 ringtones know, the beginning part of a tune isn't usually the best part to use for a ring. So you need to specify a chunk of a tune for each ringtone.
Even in iTunes, it's very easy to tell a song to start playing from other than the beginning.

Setting a ringtone could be as easy as picking any song from your library, then picking the offset to start from. I wouldn't put it past Apple to even have an auto-offset, that scans the song and starts playing the ringtone at a loud part.

:D

Toe
Feb 24, 2007, 10:09 AM

Maybe you just shake it?

;)

akac
Feb 24, 2007, 11:54 AM

We actually have something like that on Windows Mobile in Pocket Informant. Granted its not as fancy as CoverFlow (most WinMobile devices don't have the CPU/graphics to do something like CoverFlow) but its similar.

iPoodOverZune
Feb 24, 2007, 12:05 PM

EXACTLY!

I had Sanyo multimedia 6400 from Sprint (pronounce Devil) and have RAZR phone from T-mobile. Both pieces of **** in terms of usage. With RAZR, the phonebook is the most atrocious I had ever seen on a phone. Even after spending a lot of time, I could not figure out how to put icons behind home, work, etc numbers. so used my mac to build the address book and transfer to phone. so got those icons, however, now I see duplicate entries for many phone numbers and also the multiple entries. why couldn't they group one contacts phones together!:mad: it is so difficult to scroll thru. Does anybody here know how to set that right? Sorry this got little off-topic. But this is what i hate in the current phones. Sanyo phone looked great at screen and outlooks but completely useless functions. RAZR great from slim phone perspective but hardly useful UI. One thing is extremely good in these phones and rest all features difficult to the point of being useless and crap. So i will get iPhone at the end of this year. Hail iPhone! ;)

justflie
Feb 24, 2007, 01:24 PM
These were some pretty interesting things I hadn't noticed before. They're not exactly groundbreaking discoveries, but they're good things to know.

mrat93
Feb 24, 2007, 01:37 PM
In response to the "Ringtone Store" on iTunes as described in the video.

Movies: $9.99 to $14.99
Games: $4.99
T.V. Shows: $1.99
Songs: $0.99
Free 30-second song demos: $0.00
Ringtones: $?.??

My point is if Apple lets people play 30-second demos of any song as many times as they wish, the only logical solutions for ringtones on the iPhone are free 30-second ringtones, like the demos they have in the store, or, selecting a clip of any song, of any length to be a ringtone. Most services charge $2.00 per ringtone. Apple can't do that because nobody wants a 30-second ringtone for $2.00 when you can get the whole song for $0.99. I could also understand $0.49 ringtones because they're cheaper that the whole song. For the "Ringtones" tab in iTunes, that could be so users can select the right clip of their songs for ringtones to sync as ringtones.

Peace
Feb 24, 2007, 01:48 PM
I may be wrong but the RIAA "regulates" ringtones also.

mrat93
Feb 24, 2007, 01:59 PM
In Google Maps, about the "I can't make out the icon in the bottom-left corner".
This is just my opinion.
Maybe its a fork and knife logo for restaurants. Just a guess.

Peace
Feb 24, 2007, 02:08 PM
In Google Maps, about the "I can't make out the icon in the bottom-left corner".
This is just my opinion.
Maybe its a fork and knife logo for restaurants. Just a guess.

It's an up and down arrow for directions.

bellis1
Feb 24, 2007, 02:25 PM
Any chance the button on the top left says voice?

It would be a really efficient mechanism for a todo especially if you were pressed for time and did not want to type it. The ultimate would then have the phone translate it to text like some of the services that are already out there.

Now that would be a sweet addition!

MrCrowbar
Feb 24, 2007, 03:06 PM
Maybe you just shake it?

;)

Nah, I say it works with the proximity sensor. When you are not in a call and hold the front against something, it could lock itself. This way, when you put it in your pocket, it knows "oh, something is touching the sensor. That does not happen when you use the phone. LOCK" The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. If you want to to lock it intentionally (when you wanna leave it on the table and require a PIN to unlock it), you could just touch the sensor for a second, or simply put the screen face down on your desk.

This is all just specultion, ou could as well double click the home button to lock it (sine 1 click takes you home, and you cant "go home" from home).

Other, less intuitive ways to lock the phone would be pressing a combination of the volume buttons and the home button, an on screen menu where you can select "lock", use the accelerometer (throw the phone high up in the air so it spins very fast) or just a lame timeout.

Steve did in deed not demo how you lock the phone, instead, he switched it on and off (...or did he actually lock it?).

EDIT: There's a "sleep/wake" switch on the top roght of the iPhone. What Steve did was putting it to sleep and waking it up again.

nsjoker
Feb 24, 2007, 03:18 PM
Cingular makes way too much money off of ringtones to just have that revenue disappear. It's not so hot that I have to pay for a ringtone of a song I already own but I know that will be the case.

What's funny however is that Cingular charges something like 2 or 3 dollars per tone and iTMS charges .99 for a song...it'll be interesting to see how that works out.

JeffDM
Feb 24, 2007, 03:25 PM
You raise a very good point, regardless, it's good to find out some new-ish stuff on the iPhone, things were getting a little stale.

Stale? It was only announced six weeks ago!

I don't remember seeing so much rampant and baseless speculation of an unreleased product. It's ridiculous, particularly the hype and hysteria.

Random Ping
Feb 24, 2007, 04:19 PM

Man, I feel like an idiot. That is such a simple and powerful idea. While composing full songs in Garage Band is fairly hard, composing ring-tone length pieces is easy! Integrating your own voice (or the voice of the caller) is all so easy and fun in Garage Band.

I hope Apple makes this intuitive to do.

Random Ping
Feb 24, 2007, 04:24 PM
Cingular makes way too much money off of ringtones to just have that revenue disappear. .. What's funny however is that Cingular charges something like 2 or 3 dollars per tone and iTMS charges .99 for a song.

I think this is a going to be a big issue with Cingular, the owners of the songs, or both. The ringtone business is huge, and to allow purchased songs (or those ripped form your CDs) to become a ringtone will be very disruptive to this multi-billion dollar business segment.

Random Ping
Feb 24, 2007, 04:28 PM

I want a Keynote player on the iPhone. Then, with an adapter to connect the iPhone to an overhead projector, I can ditch my laptop for conferences and just take the iPhone.

Mac Fly (film)
Feb 24, 2007, 04:38 PM
I agree with Jeff, a lot of people round here just need to realx. Rest assured we'll be able to make songs ring tones, or songs we make in Garage Band. It's obvious iTunes will have a ringtones section if they are selling phones, some business people would get away with having a ringtone of their favourite song go off at a meeting, but they may think, and rightly so IMO that it would be unprofessional if the actual song went off with blasting guitars are singing etc. ;) That's why Apple will have a ringtones section, ringtones will be predictably 99c and teens will buy them too.

Mac Fly (film)
Feb 24, 2007, 04:45 PM
Man, I feel like an idiot. That is such a simple and powerful idea. While composing full songs in Garage Band is fairly hard, composing ring-tone length pieces is easy! Integrating your own voice (or the voice of the caller) is all so easy and fun in Garage Band.

I hope Apple makes this intuitive to do.

I do this already, and send them to my hunk of junk RAZR via bluetooth.

Dagless
Feb 24, 2007, 05:16 PM

Don't you mean "look at their rooftops"? :D

Peace
Feb 24, 2007, 05:22 PM
unfortunatly most of google's maps are a few years old.Could be new buildings where you are.;)

OdduWon
Feb 24, 2007, 05:28 PM
unfortunatly most of google's maps are a few years old.Could be new buildings where you are.;)

very true. this is what i hope will be the first step towards a architects companion. Since Google maps are being defined using sketchup models, it seems likely that this device could be able to have some sort of sketchup or other google apps compatibility. perhaps it wold make a good "Tour guide" for our customers. Hoping the iwork mobile will be of use to an architect on the go.

chefmikeyp
Feb 24, 2007, 07:50 PM
Any phone with bluetooth/sync capabilities can use garageband ringtones. I have made many for friends/family, converted them to mp3 and played them on a rokr, razr, treo, blackberry, many other sprint bluetooth phones. I'm not going to stop because I want the sexiest phone out there, I'll just copy my custom garageband ringtones to my wife's Iphone (i get her old razr) and take them off my now (nearly worthless) treo 650.

I agree with Jeff, a lot of people round here just need to realx. Rest assured we'll be able to make songs ring tones, or songs we make in Garage Band. It's obvious iTunes will have a ringtones section if they are selling phones, some business people would get away with having a ringtone of their favourite song go off at a meeting, but they may think, and rightly so IMO that it would be unprofessional if the actual song went off with blasting guitars are singing etc. ;) That's why Apple will have a ringtones section, ringtones will be predictably 99c and teens will buy them too.

scstsut
Feb 24, 2007, 08:07 PM
Very interesting work. I'm glad they did it 'cause I don't have the time.
I'm actually most interested in the calendar app. It's not as sexy as the the ringtones or GPSish stuff but I like the new getting-things-done stuf in Leopard like Notes and Todos and extending that onto the iPhone makes it powerful because it'll actually work instead of me having to work it.

justflie
Feb 24, 2007, 09:00 PM
I want a Keynote player on the iPhone. Then, with an adapter to connect the iPhone to an overhead projector, I can ditch my laptop for conferences and just take the iPhone.

Agreed, this would be an awesome feature!!!

aswitcher
Feb 24, 2007, 09:52 PM
These "hidden" features include:

- Google maps traffic

This one is going to be really hard to do easily unless there is some sort of rss or like website that can be tapped into. Anyone do that there now?

decypher44
Feb 24, 2007, 10:56 PM
This is going to sound kind of lame, but here goes:

I really hope that you can use your own mp3 ringtones. I created one a couple of years ago and I've used it ever since. I created it using Audacity on a win machine. Actually, it's the only sound file that I've ever created. It's a way cool (IMHO) BSG tone with the OG cylons speech and eye-moving "woo-woo" sound interspersed. Anyway, I would be quite upset if I coudn't use it.

MacFly123
Feb 25, 2007, 01:09 AM
LOCK != UNLOCK

What I want to know is, once you slide your finger to UNLOCK the iPhone and you go to the main menu, HOW do you lock it again??? Do you have to turn if off then on again? If that's the case that's very stupid!

MacFly123
Feb 25, 2007, 01:14 AM
In response to the "Ringtone Store" on iTunes as described in the video.

Movies: $9.99 to $14.99
Games: $4.99
T.V. Shows: $1.99
Songs: $0.99
Free 30-second song demos: $0.00
Ringtones: $?.??

My point is if Apple lets people play 30-second demos of any song as many times as they wish, the only logical solutions for ringtones on the iPhone are free 30-second ringtones, like the demos they have in the store, or, selecting a clip of any song, of any length to be a ringtone. Most services charge $2.00 per ringtone. Apple can't do that because nobody wants a 30-second ringtone for $2.00 when you can get the whole song for $0.99. I could also understand $0.49 ringtones because they're cheaper that the whole song. For the "Ringtones" tab in iTunes, that could be so users can select the right clip of their songs for ringtones to sync as ringtones.

I have to agree with you that Apple might charge for the ringtones. Think about it, ringtones are a multi billion dollar industry that the U.S. hasnt fully tapped into yet, and while it would be cool to just use the songs you already have, the industry would want to MURDER Apple if they just flat out eliminated and entire revenue stream like that.

twoodcc
Feb 25, 2007, 01:52 AM
seems like some cool features.....can't wait for the iPhone!

bdj21ya
Feb 25, 2007, 09:06 AM
Any phone with bluetooth/sync capabilities can use garageband ringtones. I have made many for friends/family, converted them to mp3 and played them on a rokr, razr, treo, blackberry, many other sprint bluetooth phones. I'm not going to stop because I want the sexiest phone out there, I'll just copy my custom garageband ringtones to my wife's Iphone (i get her old razr) and take them off my now (nearly worthless) treo 650.

Not any phone with bluetooth. With most all of Verizon's phones, media file transfer is crippled. It is one of the main reasons I would NEVER go with Verizon. Cingular may have TERRIBLE customer service, but nothing annoys me more than crippling technology. It also annoys me that Apple will be crippling their phone which could otherwise easily run a mobile version of Skype, for when I'm near a trusted 802.11 network.

shawnce
Feb 25, 2007, 10:07 AM
What I want to know is, once you slide your finger to UNLOCK the iPhone and you go to the main menu, HOW do you lock it again??? Do you have to turn if off then on again? If that's the case that's very stupid! Yeah 'cause Apple made this phone that only has an unlock feature.... :confused:

If that's the case that's very stupid!
I guess when in doubt run around in circles worrying.

MrCrowbar
Feb 25, 2007, 10:47 AM
Yeah 'cause Apple made this phone that only has an unlock feature.... :confused:

I guess when in doubt run around in circles worrying.

I'd say it will use the proximity sensor to feel if it's on someone's pocket. The point of the lock is to prevent accidental input, the iPhone already temporarily locks the "keypad" when you hold it to your ear in a call. It could as well lock the keypad when you put it in your pocket and thus cover the sensor. After a given time out (say, 20 seconds) it put the main lock on, i.e. you have to slide your finger (and enter your PIN) to unlock it.

You could as well double click the home button to lock it, but that would not be very Apple-like.

Maybe that's one of the things that have not been decided yet. I guess some people are trying out the prototype in real life situations and decide which method to lock the phone is the best. It should be something you can do without looking at the phone. Maybe the sleep/wake switch on the top does that, and the phone still receives calls when in "sleep". Guess we'll have to wait to find out. Personally, I'd love it to work with the sensor and timeout. Leave it on your desk: it stays unlocked, shows you incoming mails at once. Put it in your pocket: locked. Put it face down on your desk: locked. :)

mikeinternet
Feb 25, 2007, 11:02 AM
if we are not allowed to choose songs from our music library as ringtones and instead are told to buy ringtones from itunes, that is just sad.

hopefully the ringtones tab well just be a way to use itunes to sync midi files to your iphone. in which case i'm totally down with itunes selling midi files but i want to be able to add any midi files i have to itunes.

apple - please don't let the greedy phone companies corrupt you.

wessto
Feb 25, 2007, 11:22 AM
Dunno... could someone with an EDGE phone go to http://www.google.com/gmm/ and tell us what it's like? :)

I have used the google maps application on my treo 680. Under good edge coverage it works like a champ. Very nice with traffic overlay. Sat images look great too.

Chris Bangle
Feb 25, 2007, 01:12 PM

Whoa... That is the best idea ive heard for ages. I would look so cool at school

Jakuta
Feb 25, 2007, 01:47 PM
What I want to know is, once you slide your finger to UNLOCK the iPhone and you go to the main menu, HOW do you lock it again??? Do you have to turn if off then on again? If that's the case that's very stupid!

Would you please explain why the method you just described is stupid? Why would you need to lock the phone and still leave the screen on? If I lock my Treo, the screen turns off immediately. I think that functionality makes sense.

Maybe you are concerned about a "hold" feature while playing music? That would make sense for Apple to implement. However, considering that that is a feature of every iPod, I would think that Apple already figured out a solution.

Get your panties out of a bunch and explain how you would use this functionality so that we can understand a little more clearly.

Thanks.

Maccus Aurelius
Feb 26, 2007, 12:57 PM
My cruddy little T610 locks with a simple menu and select. to unlock I simply press the button under select on the screen and press the asterisk to ulock it. The iPhone would probably have a similar menu to go to in order to lock the phone, similar to the menu you have to go into on the iPod to lock the screen. Most cell phone's I've seen don't have a dedicated lock button, but rather the option in a menu that you simply select with the toggle or in this case your finger. That's not too hard is it? :rolleyes:

joeconvert
Feb 27, 2007, 04:58 PM

On this one though, phones already do this.
http://www.google.com/gmm/index.html

Windows Mobile/Palm OS can talk to $100 GPS receivers over bluetooth. I think the iPhone is interesting, but it will make incremental improvements to services and applications that people are already using today.

Toe
Feb 27, 2007, 05:56 PM
On this one though, phones already do this.
http://www.google.com/gmm/index.html

Yeah... I even posted that same URL later in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3385688&postcount=19). I was wondering if anyone would catch me on that. :o :D

I guess the amazing part will be that my phone will do it, provided I

wait until June
fork over a big (though reasonable) chunk of cash for the phone
fork over an unreasonably huge chunk of cash to AT&T for data. Though I suppose they'll have a combined phone-data plan for iPhones. It'll probably still be more than seems right.

aafuss1
Feb 28, 2007, 05:50 AM
Ringtone syncing-would that be bought Cingular/AT&T ringtones or maybe user MIDI ringtones created in software like Babya or Apple Logic could also be synced.