PDA

View Full Version : MS to drop IE as a standalone

funkywhat2
Jun 1, 2003, 08:14 PM
http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-1011859.html?tag=fd_top

What does this mean for IE for OS X? Safari's great and all, but there are some things it can't do. The again, this could make the Mac MS free from the factory...

MrMacMan
Jun 1, 2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by funkywhat2
http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-1011859.html?tag=fd_top

What does this mean for IE for OS X? Safari's great and all, but there are some things it can't do. The again, this could make the Mac MS free from the factory...
What can't Safari do?
I have heard banking, but I wouldn't know, most of the website I go to are nice and load correctly.

I don't think this means much at all because on a Mac IE doesn't use any windows to run.

zulgand04
Jun 1, 2003, 09:37 PM
i think all this means is microsoft has hit a wall with the development of IE as a seprate program and the only way they can continue to develop it like they want to into the system is, to change windows around to what hey want out of IE. I don't think this will effect the mac version is they stop development on the web standared browser, i think there will be legal issuses. not like i care anyways i've used IE i think once since it came out.

000111one111000
Jun 1, 2003, 09:50 PM
Isn't the whole "IE as a part of Windows" what the whole anti-trust lawsuit was about? Or did they get permission because they settled or something?

enoch

wdlove
Jun 2, 2003, 09:54 AM
We still need IE for a while yet untill all the kinks have been worked out of Safari. My wife had to use IE yesterday, because in Safari the website wouldn't accept her signup info. Otherwise she uses Safari exclusively!

RHutch
Jun 2, 2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by wdlove
We still need IE for a while yet untill all the kinks have been worked out of Safari. My wife had to use IE yesterday, because in Safari the website wouldn't accept her signup info. Otherwise she uses Safari exclusively!

I used to use Netscape all the time. I don't care for it so much anymore; I REALLY like Safari. But couldn't we do without IE? I hear talk about other browsers, Camino (?) and others. Maybe these aren't the preferred choice for people, but if they can fill in the holes until Safari does what everyone wants, why not be M$ free?

wdlove
Jun 2, 2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by RHutch
I used to use Netscape all the time. I don't care for it so much anymore; I REALLY like Safari. But couldn't we do without IE? I hear talk about other browsers, Camino (?) and others. Maybe these aren't the preferred choice for people, but if they can fill in the holes until Safari does what everyone wants, why not be M$ free?

My wife doesn't like Netscape. So her real only choice is IE, but she rarely use it!

MrMacMan
Jun 2, 2003, 04:49 PM
I don't think this means anything.

jaykk
Jun 2, 2003, 08:07 PM
Looks like we have to call all the web development a windows programming? So far, we have been telling browser compatibility, now we have to write web pages that are Windows compatible. The recent agreement between AOL and M$ is the end of netscape. Come on apple, lets bring Safari for Linux, and Windows. So that people will write pages for alternate browsers not just for Windows operating system.

Les Kern
Jun 2, 2003, 10:00 PM
MS to drop IE as a standalone

Fine.
Anyway, I heard that IE6 for Mac will be a 300MB download, you'll have to call to register it, repeating same every time you run a patch.
Safari does "almost" everything. By the time IE dies on the Mac, everything should be fixed. Hell, it's great and it's still in beta!
Bub-bye Bill.

Fukui
Jun 2, 2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by jaykk
Looks like we have to call all the web development a windows programming? So far, we have been telling browser compatibility, now we have to write web pages that are Windows compatible. The recent agreement between AOL and M$ is the end of netscape. Come on apple, lets bring Safari for Linux, and Windows. So that people will write pages for alternate browsers not just for Windows operating system.
Totaly agree. I don't know why theres even a WWW if all companies are doing is writting for Windows...they might as well just write full-fledged apps for MS the way they're going...:confused:
Once again, MS has maintained "Embrace Extend Extinguish"