PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Laser Printers

Yanus
Feb 26, 2007, 06:07 PM
Looking for a cheap laser printer to work with airport express. The ones I've picked dont seem to have OSX drivers!

CanadaRAM
Feb 26, 2007, 06:09 PM
I've had the best luck recently with Brother printers, however, do your research to see that there is a Mac OSX driver for the specific model you are looking at.

iSaint
Feb 26, 2007, 08:13 PM
I bought a Brother HL 2070N for $99. The Brother driver didn't work and I had to use the comparable HP driver, though. Works fine now!

thegoldenmackid
Feb 26, 2007, 08:14 PM
wat do u mean by cheap...

printers are one of those things that are prone to disasters if you buy cheap things...i'd be careful how cheep you go...

Old Smuggler
Feb 26, 2007, 08:21 PM
get a dell 3110cn for around 500$ from sams club or dell

it is a color laser

it has osx driver on cd

optonal double sided printing, wifi printing over 1 gig upgradeable ram and supports additional paper trays

had it for a year and print religiously comes with 5000K toners and the toner level hasnt even droped a notch

the average user should get 2-3 years on these cartridges easy
remember this is a WORKGROUP laser

i about a big of fan of dell as i am M$oft
but let me tell you the make a excelent top notch laser
check the reviews on cnet its like an 8.5

Yanus
Feb 27, 2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the advice. I,m looking for a monochrome, perhaps similar to the HP 1022, expecting to pay 80 to 100 (pounds sterling). Prefer Canon but no assurance that drivers are available. Anyone got a working system in this range?

kiwi-in-uk
Feb 27, 2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the advice. I,m looking for a monochrome, perhaps similar to the HP 1022, expecting to pay 80 to 100 (pounds sterling). Prefer Canon but no assurance that drivers are available. Anyone got a working system in this range?

I generally prefer Canon as well (atrocious experiences with Epson and HP) but they don't publish laser printer drivers in English. There is a Japanese CAPT driver that I grabbed to connect my LBP3000 direct to my PB and iMac CD (and it works most of the time but has a problem with sharing). I just tried it with Airport Express and it did not work, although I only spent a couple of minutes on it (the iMac saw the printer via Bonjour but could not connect - ideas anyone?).

artalliance
Feb 27, 2007, 06:54 PM
Got the 1012 model 2 years ago for less than $150. That thing is still going strong and works great wirelessly with the Airport.

lord patton
Feb 27, 2007, 07:03 PM
Got the 1012 model 2 years ago for less than $150. That thing is still going strong and works great wirelessly with the Airport.

I love mine, too, but its successor, the 1020, has had a significant issue with Macs: no drivers. But maybe this has been fixed.

If it has, then the 1020 is a highly recommended B&W laser. Look for it for $125 after rebates.

eenu
Feb 27, 2007, 07:12 PM
I love mine, too, but its successor, the 1020, has had a significant issue with Macs: no drivers. But maybe this has been fixed.

If it has, then the 1020 is a highly recommended B&W laser. Look for it for $125 after rebates.

I have the 1010 and all of my macs have never needed a driver......in fact i have had a 1020 on my iMac and it didnt need a driver.

e12a
Feb 28, 2007, 12:42 AM
get a dell 3110cn for around 500$ from sams club or dell

The dell is based on a Xerox engine.

I have an old Samsung ML-1710. After installing some drivers for it, it works flawlessly. Warm up time could be shorter though. I think the newer models are quicker in that respect.

Makosuke
Feb 28, 2007, 01:17 AM
Probably a lot of printers are just fine, but I'll second that I've had good luck with Brother recently. Their Mac drivers are quite good, they're reliable, toner is reasonable, and warm-up times are short.

I think they have (or had) a model that had wireless actually built in, although if you're going to go really cheap USB is of course your best bet.

Father Jack
Feb 28, 2007, 01:21 AM
I have found Brother laser's work without any problems. :)

FJ

iSaint
Feb 28, 2007, 05:54 AM
I bought a Brother HL 2070N for $99. The Brother driver didn't work and I had to use the comparable HP driver, though. Works fine now!

The Brother also has a network card installed...